Start by marking “The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything” as Want to Read:
The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything

The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  19,672 ratings  ·  708 reviews
From Stephen R. Covey's eldest son comes a revolutionary new path towards productivity and satisfaction. Trust, says Stephen M.R. Covey, is the very basis of the new global economy, and he shows how trust—and the speed at which it is established with clients, employees and constituents —is the essential ingredient for any high–performance, successful organization.

For bus

Published October 17th 2006 by Free Press (first published January 1st 2006)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything
Janet
Stephen M.R. Covey, the son, was head of training for his father's company.

The book is needlessly long and I didn't need to be sold on the value of trust (which is why the book is so long), hence, why the 3 star rating. Long sections of the book are very general and boring and I kept thinking how the book could have been netted down. I recommend the book, recommend skimming the boring examples and felt that along with the Economics of Trust, all that a reader needs on the important subject of t
Tim
Sep 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
The bulk of this short book might be characterized as "moral philosophy 101." It will be informative for moral imbeciles and those (many, by the measure of apparent business ethics) who don't believe that personal and business ethics have any connection. It's a basic outline of how to extend and create trust, and how to reciprocate when you receive it. Formulaic pop psychology.

The value of the book for me was in the first chapter. It makes the case for trust as a business value, that high trust
Jacob
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This phenomenal book has been out less than a year but I thought it just as good if not a better read than 7 Habits written by his father. This book so perfectly describes trust, breaks it down and shows how relevant it is in business, home, and all other arenas of life.
Steve Whiting
There's a certain formula to these business-guru books: checklist of improved ways of working ("4 cores" and "13 behaviours", check), strained acronyms ("TASKS", check), a pseudo-scientific formula leading to a spuriously calculated buzzphrase ("trust tax", check), an overarching theme ("5 waves of trust", check) and usually a magic-quadrant style diagram of some sort ("Smart Trust", check), many supportive personal examples from career and family (definitely check!)

As will be apparent from that
K.D. Absolutely
May 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: My former boss
Shelves: business
This book makes a lot of common sense. Productivity in the workplace is indeed based on trust. If you are not trusted by your boss, he will check or will let your colleague check your work. However, the book did not talk much about how to re-gain trust which can easily be lost in the day-to-day office environment. Everyone starts with a clean slate with favorable (that’s why we are hired in the first place) trust index. However, even if we always work diligently, there will always come a time wh ...more
Kelly
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
This has to be one of the lamest books I've ever read mostly because I can see corporations across America eating it up. I'm reading it for a Leadership Training class at present. The "CORE" argument of of the book is that one must increase trust with others in order to make relationships and work efficient and cost effective. I bet this book is handed out for free to employees businesses like it so much.

Ultimately, the book reads like a tea party opus. The book has some silly statements that r
Karl-O
Oct 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
In The Speed of Trust, Stephen M. R. Covey (son of renowned author Stephen R. Covey (The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People)), delves into the mechanics of trust, an element, which in spite the attention we think ourselves giving it, remains to a great extend underestimated. According to Covey, trust is the keystone for every relationship in our lives, including our relationship with ourselves.

The author does a great job in showing that trust is something we can recover. I believe this to
Gabriela
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
According to Stephen M.R. Covey, the new economy is looking for businesses and individuals who can practice the virtue of trust. The Speed of Trust shows the importance of trust and how the rate at which it is built can help businesses win over clients and employees too. The book proposes that establishing trust is essential to creating high performing companies.

Gone are the days when companies would be secretive, make bad decisions and get away with it. Today's economy is increasingly becoming
Craig
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In the last few weeks, I've been traveling quite a lot—Brazil, Macedonia, Serbia, and throughout the U.S. Since I have a ritual that involves reading on planes, I've been able to get through a few books I've been hearing quite a bit about. The three I want to tell you about here, are all amazing. If you saw my copies, you'd see dog-eared pages, underlining, exclamation points and question marks in the margins. I really had no idea how much I'd be affected by each one, and completely surprised by ...more
Stephanie Thoma
The main message of this book is to lead with trust to give relationships the opportunity to flourish. Even if you're burned a few times, you will come out ahead of those who don't lead with trusting others who demoralize those they associate with. A bonus: Covey writes in a conversational and engaging way.

Takeaways:
- The story of Joe, an NYC donut shop with long lines eventually put out a jar for people to pay using a trust system, and they'd come up and get their donuts. People often appreciat
Claudia
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
While Covey (son of the 'famous' Covey)sets out a great argument for trust in businesses, I, of course, look through the lens of an educator. I think the part that resonated the most with me was the first section on self trust, and the section about organizational trust. Sometimes I found the parallels, sometimes I didn't.

Self trust...believing in your mission, your purpose. Trusting YOURSELF to make good decisions, to reach out to others, to inspire trust. That is exactly what should happen in
Josh Steimle
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Don't let it throw you off that this was written by Stephen R. Covey's son--it's a great book. He's not just riding his father's coattails, unless it is that he's following in his footsteps and doing a good job of it.

There are some valuable lessons in here for business, and everywhere else you have relationships. Especially the core point that where there is trust, things move faster. That's a competitive advantage for businesses. Businesses that foster the practices that engender trust will win
Chuck
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very helpful book. Obviously geared to business it still works well in non-profit situations. I read it as a board member for a non-profit Christian organization in mind. 4 core values and 13 behaviors listed. Insightful and on target. The concept of extending trust, smart trust, rebuilding trust and the propensity to trust are deeply insightful.

Plenty of good stories that helpfully illustrate the concepts. There's an edition called "summary". Wish I knew how good it was. Might be a good recom
Ruth Hinds
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! It explains what TRUST actually is- what it is made up of. It helps you understand why you do or do not trust someone. It also teaches how to extend "smart trust" to others, and make yourself more trustworthy so others can trust you. Everything is broken down so clearly and there are so many action items so you can apply what you are learning right away! One of my favorite books I've read! And I wasn't expecting that.
Tony Rogers  Jr.
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book that I believe everyone, not just business leaders should read. As the title suggests, this book is about trust: what it is, how its built and why it matters in business and in life. I actually came to this book a bit skeptical and didn't expect to learn much. The author met and exceeded my expectations to say the least. You definitely want to add this one to your library.

Tony Rogers Jr
Author of Visionary: Making a difference in a world that needs YOU
Semi-Academic Eric
My concern with this book revolves around the following question.

Will we truly benefit from ethics that are adopted merely for the sake of building trust in order to increase speed and reduce cost?
Dayton Koons
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really quite enjoyed the insights Covey gives on trust. I recommend this to anyone because I think the idea of trust isn't understood enough. Covey outlines a concept of trust that is very understandable and actionable.
Cathy Sites
Nov 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Blah Blah Blah....now you've read it too.

(Seriously, unless you are an MBA student working on a business case thesis....or an individual who lacks any emotional intelligence, just skip it)
Tõnu Vahtra
"The level of trust between two organizations is best reflected by the number of lawyers sitting around the negotiations table." (Warren Buffet completed the acquisition of McLane Distribution from Wal-Mart on the basis of a two-hour meeting on the basis of trust without lawyers.) I can confirm the same principle from my professional experience.

Another book that had been waiting it's time on my desk for a relatively long time and I finally picked it up after completing the 4 disciplines of exec
Joanna
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book for my work book group, and very much enjoyed facilitating the group discussion. I was ALL IN, for the concepts. I love the Four Cores. (Integrity, Intent, Capabilities, Results) I love the language that conceptualizes the friction that comes from working with people that you don’t trust as paying a “tax” on your interactions, transactions, projects. A tax on success. And the idea that trust relies on all four cores- yes! All in! The idea that trust also requires a belief that t ...more
Matt McAlear
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very solid read overall. The only reason I didn't give this book a 5 is because I believe his material could have been condensed and some of his points were redundant. Other than that I believe this book is a must read for anyone who tries to maintain integrity in business or their personal life. I found this book to also be especially helpful has a tool or guide for new recruits in where you want to set the bar very high out of the gate from a trust and integrity perspective.

Top takeaways an
Caity
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not my typical genre to review, but- believe it or not- business/personal development is my favourite genre second to historical/inspirational fiction. (Blogger fun fact! ;))

I really enjoyed the information and good stuff packed in this book! I appreciated Coveys approach to this topic of "Trust"- as a business owner and husband/father- to consider all relationships; both personal and professional, and to address each point from all perspectives, making the concepts easy to grasp and applicable.
Dhara Parekh
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: academic
IT felt like the book had ADD and it was hopping from one experience/example to another without finishing the last one. It made the whole reading experience very messy and confusing. Although I agree that every single example was worth reading about. It didn't tell me much I didn't already know, hence the three stars.
Connie Johnson
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Has some very good points but a quick read.
Kitty
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It actually taught me to look at things differently, not just in my work life but personal life as a way to build and inspire trust among my friends, family, coworkers, employees and bosses.
ireadtostaysane
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read a book and it gave you not a heart attack but a butterflies instead. I would recommend everyone I know; family friends, anyone to read this book ❤
Shahd
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trust is the most powerful thing ever
Once you lose trust there’s no way back
Matt Myers
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It took me a long time to listen and process the information. I think i will probably need to go through this book at least a few more times before I have a full handle on all the lessons.
Veronica Foley
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was excellent. It explained why honesty is important and how you have to extend trust to receive it. Excellent examples and great principles.
Harry Lee
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn’t buy this book. It was given free at a company training event. Most of my colleagues didn’t like the training. But I did.

I don’t think I would have picked this book up at a bookstore but I am glad I read through this. Trust is an important part of life and relationships. And it was good to read a book that covers this. For me, I always like systematic thinking about abstract things.

Ultimately you can dismiss this as another corporate self-help book ... or you can get pass it.
To read 4 12 Feb 09, 2015 05:31PM
Business-Related ...: Book #2 The Speed of Trust by Stephen Covey 3 8 Nov 20, 2014 08:03PM

• The Holy Secret
  • Bonds That Make Us Free: Healing Our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves
  • First Things First
  • Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box
  • Principle-Centered Leadership
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • Now, Discover Your Strengths
  • Influencer : The Power to Change Anything
  • Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership
  • The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
  • What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
  • The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • The One Minute Manager
Stephen M. R. Covey is co-founder and CEO of CoveyLink Worldwide. A sought-after and compelling keynote speaker and advisor on trust, leadership, ethics, and high performance, he speaks to audiences around the world. He is the author of The SPEED of Trust, a groundbreaking and paradigm-shifting book that challenges our age-old assumption that trust is merely a soft, social virtue and instead demon ...more

News & Interviews

“We judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their behaviour.” 234 likes
“The first job of a leader—at work or at home—is to inspire trust. It’s to bring out the best in people by entrusting them with meaningful stewardships, and to create an environment in which high-trust interaction inspires creativity and possibility.” 31 likes