Start by marking “The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything” as Want to Read:
The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything

The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything

From Stephen R. Covey's eldest son comes a revolutionary new path towards productivity and satisfaction. Trust, says Stephen M.R. Covey, is the very basis of the new global economy, and he shows how trustand the speed at which it is established with clients, employees and constituentsis the essential ingredient for any highperformance, successful organization.

For busines

Published October 17th 2006 by Free Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Speed of Trust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Speed of Trust

Janet
Stephen M.R. Covey, the son, was head of training for his father's company.

The book is needlessly long and I didn't need to be sold on the value of trust (which is why the book is so long), hence, why the 3 star rating. Long sections of the book are very general and boring and I kept thinking how the book could have been netted down. I recommend the book, recommend skimming the boring examples and felt that along with the Economics of Trust, all that a reader needs on the important subject of t
Tim
Sep 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
The bulk of this short book might be characterized as "moral philosophy 101." It will be informative for moral imbeciles and those (many, by the measure of apparent business ethics) who don't believe that personal and business ethics have any connection. It's a basic outline of how to extend and create trust, and how to reciprocate when you receive it. Formulaic pop psychology.

The value of the book for me was in the first chapter. It makes the case for trust as a business value, that high trust
Jacob
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This phenomenal book has been out less than a year but I thought it just as good if not a better read than 7 Habits written by his father. This book so perfectly describes trust, breaks it down and shows how relevant it is in business, home, and all other arenas of life.
Ryan Dejonghe
Sep 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book was distributed at work like candy at a Halloween party. New buzz words were written on the board and everyone was trust falling one another. The problem still remains: there’s more falling than trusting.

I enjoyed the first chapter and agree with the author’s sentiments: as trust improves, cost goes down and speed increases. I believe in Covey’s see, speak, behave architecture. The problem begins when Covey stretches the first chapter into over three hundred pages based on an analogy t
Steve Whiting
There's a certain formula to these business-guru books: checklist of improved ways of working ("4 cores" and "13 behaviours", check), strained acronyms ("TASKS", check), a pseudo-scientific formula leading to a spuriously calculated buzzphrase ("trust tax", check), an overarching theme ("5 waves of trust", check) and usually a magic-quadrant style diagram of some sort ("Smart Trust", check), many supportive personal examples from career and family (definitely check!)

As will be apparent from that
K.D. Absolutely
May 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: My former boss
Shelves: business
This book makes a lot of common sense. Productivity in the workplace is indeed based on trust. If you are not trusted by your boss, he will check or will let your colleague check your work. However, the book did not talk much about how to re-gain trust which can easily be lost in the day-to-day office environment. Everyone starts with a clean slate with favorable (that’s why we are hired in the first place) trust index. However, even if we always work diligently, there will always come a time wh ...more
Karl-O
Oct 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
In The Speed of Trust, Stephen M. R. Covey (son of renowned author Stephen R. Covey (The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People)), delves into the mechanics of trust, an element, which in spite the attention we think ourselves giving it, remains to a great extend underestimated. According to Covey, trust is the keystone for every relationship in our lives, including our relationship with ourselves.

The author does a great job in showing that trust is something we can recover. I believe this to
Kelly
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
This has to be one of the lamest books I've ever read mostly because I can see corporations across America eating it up. I'm reading it for a Leadership Training class at present. The "CORE" argument of of the book is that one must increase trust with others in order to make relationships and work efficient and cost effective. I bet this book is handed out for free to employees businesses like it so much.

Ultimately, the book reads like a tea party opus. The book has some silly statements that r
Craig
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In the last few weeks, I've been traveling quite a lot—Brazil, Macedonia, Serbia, and throughout the U.S. Since I have a ritual that involves reading on planes, I've been able to get through a few books I've been hearing quite a bit about. The three I want to tell you about here, are all amazing. If you saw my copies, you'd see dog-eared pages, underlining, exclamation points and question marks in the margins. I really had no idea how much I'd be affected by each one, and completely surprised by ...more
Gabriela
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
According to Stephen M.R. Covey, the new economy is looking for businesses and individuals who can practice the virtue of trust. The Speed of Trust shows the importance of trust and how the rate at which it is built can help businesses win over clients and employees too. The book proposes that establishing trust is essential to creating high performing companies.

Gone are the days when companies would be secretive, make bad decisions and get away with it. Today's economy is increasingly becoming
مساعد
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
من نوادر الكتب ، التي أصنفها بخمس نجوم

كتاب رائع مُلهِم في الادارة بل و حتى في الحياة العامة و العائلية

استطاع الكاتب ان يقدّم وصفة منطقية ، لزيادة الانتاجية و خفض التكاليف ، و زيادة الشعور بالسعادة..... إنها الثقة

بل استطاع الكاتب ان يفرّق بين الثقة المطلقة و الثقة المعقولة

و كيف تتجازو موضوع الارتياب من وضع الثقة في بعض الافراد ، و مد جسور التواصل

عليكم بإقتناء الكتاب

تحياتي

مساعد
Stephanie Thoma
The main message of this book is to lead with trust to give relationships the opportunity to flourish. Even if you're burned a few times, you will come out ahead of those who don't lead with trusting others who demoralize those they associate with. A bonus: Covey writes in a conversational and engaging way.

Takeaways:
- The story of Joe, an NYC donut shop with long lines eventually put out a jar for people to pay using a trust system, and they'd come up and get their donuts. People often appreciat
Claudia
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
While Covey (son of the 'famous' Covey)sets out a great argument for trust in businesses, I, of course, look through the lens of an educator. I think the part that resonated the most with me was the first section on self trust, and the section about organizational trust. Sometimes I found the parallels, sometimes I didn't.

Self trust...believing in your mission, your purpose. Trusting YOURSELF to make good decisions, to reach out to others, to inspire trust. That is exactly what should happen in
Chuck
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very helpful book. Obviously geared to business it still works well in non-profit situations. I read it as a board member for a non-profit Christian organization in mind. 4 core values and 13 behaviors listed. Insightful and on target. The concept of extending trust, smart trust, rebuilding trust and the propensity to trust are deeply insightful.

Plenty of good stories that helpfully illustrate the concepts. There's an edition called "summary". Wish I knew how good it was. Might be a good recom
Ruth Hinds
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! It explains what TRUST actually is- what it is made up of. It helps you understand why you do or do not trust someone. It also teaches how to extend "smart trust" to others, and make yourself more trustworthy so others can trust you. Everything is broken down so clearly and there are so many action items so you can apply what you are learning right away! One of my favorite books I've read! And I wasn't expecting that.
Tony Jr.
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book that I believe everyone, not just business leaders should read. As the title suggests, this book is about trust: what it is, how its built and why it matters in business and in life. I actually came to this book a bit skeptical and didn't expect to learn much. The author met and exceeded my expectations to say the least. You definitely want to add this one to your library.

Tony Rogers Jr
Author of Visionary: Making a difference in a world that needs YOU
Dayton Koons
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really quite enjoyed the insights Covey gives on trust. I recommend this to anyone because I think the idea of trust isn't understood enough. Covey outlines a concept of trust that is very understandable and actionable.
Academic Eric
My concern with this book revolves around the following question.

Will we truly benefit from ethics that are adopted merely for the sake of building trust in order to increase speed and reduce cost?
Matt McAlear
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very solid read overall. The only reason I didn't give this book a 5 is because I believe his material could have been condensed and some of his points were redundant. Other than that I believe this book is a must read for anyone who tries to maintain integrity in business or their personal life. I found this book to also be especially helpful has a tool or guide for new recruits in where you want to set the bar very high out of the gate from a trust and integrity perspective.

Top takeaways an
Alice
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not my typical genre to review, but- believe it or not- business/personal development is my favourite genre second to historical/inspirational fiction. (Blogger fun fact! ;))

I really enjoyed the information and good stuff packed in this book! I appreciated Coveys approach to this topic of "Trust"- as a business owner and husband/father- to consider all relationships; both personal and professional, and to address each point from all perspectives, making the concepts easy to grasp and applicable.
Dhara Parekh
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: academic
IT felt like the book had ADD and it was hopping from one experience/example to another without finishing the last one. It made the whole reading experience very messy and confusing. Although I agree that every single example was worth reading about. It didn't tell me much I didn't already know, hence the three stars.
Nur Farahanina
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read a book and it gave you not a heart attack but a butterflies instead. I would recommend everyone I know; family friends, anyone to read this book ❤
Kitty
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It actually taught me to look at things differently, not just in my work life but personal life as a way to build and inspire trust among my friends, family, coworkers, employees and bosses.
Connie Johnson
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Has some very good points but a quick read.
Cathy Sites
Nov 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Blah Blah Blah....now you've read it too.

(Seriously, unless you are an MBA student working on a business case thesis....or an individual who lacks any emotional intelligence, just skip it)
Harry Lee
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn’t buy this book. It was given free at a company training event. Most of my colleagues didn’t like the training. But I did.

I don’t think I would have picked this book up at a bookstore but I am glad I read through this. Trust is an important part of life and relationships. And it was good to read a book that covers this. For me, I always like systematic thinking about abstract things.

Ultimately you can dismiss this as another corporate self-help book ... or you can get pass it.
Deborah
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swashbooked, stoos
Swashbooked, 10 minutes + discussion, Christmas 2012, with @ipreuss.

Why I picked it: I heard about it from a respected colleague, and I would like to recommend it to clients dealing with toxic work environments.

Notes:

Format: paperback, impossible to lay flat to read hands-free.

Chapter: Nothing is as Fast as the Speed of Trust
"Contrary to... we CAN increase trust, and faster than we think"
Trust = confidence. Opposite, distrust = suspicion.

Sections: Self-trust, Relationship-trust, Stakeholder-tr
Greg
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
The message this book brings is outstanding! Covey identifies and discusses four core elements of trust -- integrity, intent, capabilities, and results. In some sense, he has simply redefined trust from what others have said about it. While I don't necessarily disagree, it is to some extent a matter of semantics. From that discussion of the core of trust, though, he moves into a very useful and relevant discussion and justification of 13 behaviors that create or sustain trust. Moving on, Covey t ...more
JC
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unowned
I read this at the recommendation of a business associate. It's a quick read. Frankly, Mr. Covey could have condensed this book to make it even quicker. A lot of time is spent convincing the reader that trust is 1) a real thing and 2) is super important and 3) can be quantified with hard numbers. I agree with 1 and 2 but he didn't sell me on number 3, no matter how many math formulas he dreams up. Part of that is due to our differing backgrounds; his idea of "soft" vs "hard" variables is much di ...more
Amin elahifard
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
عنوان: سرعت اعتماد؛ نویسنده: استفان.ام.آر.کاوی؛ مترجم: ربابه امیری؛ ناشر: انتشارات سپید؛ در 200 ص؛ موضوع: روانشناسی
در میان همه انسان  ها، روابط و گروه  ها و تمدن  ها یک عامل مشترک وجود دارد که اگر از میان برداشته شود، قدرتمندترین دولت  ها، موفق  ترین تجارت  ها و فوق  العاده  ترین روابط دوستانه را از بین می  برد و از طرفی اگر همین خصیصه مشترک جان بگیرد، سعادتمندی و موفقیت شکوهمندی را نصیب روابط می  کند. این کیمیا همان اعتماد است. کلید اصلی در درک مفهوم اعتماد، گذر از پنج موج آن می  باشد. یعنی اعت
To read 4 12 Feb 09, 2015 05:31PM
Business-Related ...: Book #2 The Speed of Trust by Stephen Covey 3 8 Nov 20, 2014 08:03PM

• Principle-Centered Leadership
  • Leadership and Liberty
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • Resolved Primer: A Look Into The 13 Resolutions
  • Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • The Future of Management
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
  • Voyage of a Viking: How a Man of Action Can Become a Man of Grace
  • Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results Through Individual and Organizational Accountability
Stephen M. R. Covey is co-founder and CEO of CoveyLink Worldwide. A sought-after and compelling keynote speaker and advisor on trust, leadership, ethics, and high performance, he speaks to audiences around the world. He is the author of The SPEED of Trust, a groundbreaking and paradigm-shifting book that challenges our age-old assumption that trust is merely a soft, social virtue and instead demon ...more
“We judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their behaviour.” 210 likes
“The first job of a leader—at work or at home—is to inspire trust. It’s to bring out the best in people by entrusting them with meaningful stewardships, and to create an environment in which high-trust interaction inspires creativity and possibility.” 29 likes