Start by marking “Flesh” as Want to Read:
Flesh

Flesh

The dead are easy to talk to. Live people, not so much.

Charlie Sulliven thinks she knows all the secrets of the dead. Raised in a funeral home, she’s the reluctant “Ghoul Girl,” her reputation tied to a disastrous Halloween party. But navigating her life as a high school sophomore is an anxiety-inducing puzzle to her. She haunts the funeral home with her parents, emo olde
Published September 19th 2017 by Pronoun

To ask other readers questions about Flesh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flesh

LadyJBookishNook
This is not my usual genre but thought I would try something new. Boy am I glad I did! I wanted to read some creepy books for the Halloween season and this one fits the category perfectly.

The main character, Charlie, AKA Ghoul Girl, is a teen living with her family in a funeral home. Charlie's dad is a mortician and her mom is the coroner. Bodies begin disappearing from the funeral home and the reader is introduced to some zombies/ghouls.

I really enjoyed the story. I loved the Grandma character
Carien
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, zombies
You might know I'm a big fan of Laura Bickle, so you bet I started reading this book as soon as it released yesterday.

And this is yet another awesome read!

Charlie is easy to relate to. She just wants to be a normal teen, but living in a funeral home and with a family like hers that isn't easy. I was rooting for her from the start.

The story has a nice build up: you get to know Charlie and her family while there are hints that some weird stuff might be going on, but nothing too obvious until corp
Sherry Fundin
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Laura Bickle’s Undead in Flesh are not your typical zombies. They are a unique blend.

These youngsters do not bite off more than they can chew in this sometimes funny tale of the Undead and they have an ability to go with the flow to save their town.

Great storytelling with plenty of fear and danger and a pace that makes for some spine tingling, hair raising reading of the horror kind.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Flesh by Laura Bickle.

See more at fundinmental
Laura Thomas
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, zombies
Charlie isn’t afraid of the dead. It’s her tenth grade classmates that can send her screaming. Halloween is rolling around again and she isn’t expecting much excitement. Especially after the fiasco from last year. Her parents didn’t appreciate her throwing a party at their funeral home.

This year Charlie is keeping a low profile. She’s not looking for trouble but trouble finds her when a deceased classmate, Amanda, who’s body should be resting in a morgue drawer, gets up and starts munching on co
Tammie

Chewed human bodies are appearing in her parents’ morgue…and disappearing in the middle of the night. When one of Charlie’s classmates, Amanda, awakens in the cooler as a flesh-eating ghoul, Charlie must protect her newfound friend and step up to unravel the mystery…and try to avoid becoming lunch meat for the dead.

2.5 s
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a good read! I loved the premise of the book and the main character’s home. It all wound together to make a really interesting read, especially with Ghoul Girl and her attitude on life.

I thought the author did a very brilliant job at creating interesting and well-rounded characters. She ensured there were people from all areas, hobbies, interests, etc and each had a variety of personalities. They all combined together to create a really wonderful world, within the book, and made i
Brooke Banks
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
For this year's Bewitching Spooktacular, I'm reviewing Flesh by Laura Bickle, a YA paranormal featuring ghouls and a legendary catfish. If you know anything about catfish, you know how damn creepy they are normally. If you don't, scroll through Google images real quick...

FYI: Includes a rape attempt and a second hand story of sexual murder.

I love the different mythology with Catfish Bob and ghouls. Easily my favorite part, TBH.

Second, is all the friendships and supportiveness between all th
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ghouls, revenants, zombies, the Undead. All of these have a million stories written about them. Yet I'm constantly amazed by the new angles that authors find to breathe life into old material. Flesh is one of those unique twists. Catfish Bob is an urban legend in the area. Tales of this giant catfish abound but there is no real proof that he exists. When a diary is found at the local museum, they realize exactly how far back the story of Catfish Bob goes.

I'm not exactly sure what Catfish Bob is
Craig
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun and creepy, fast and spooky y.a. short novel. A kid raised in funeral home by a family with a generations long history of morticianing has got to be a little bit weird, right? I'm not quite sure I got the whole mystical catfish thing, and I was a bit annoyed at the first-person-present-tense narrative from time to time, but it was a fun read. A good high school Halloween pick. Dachshunds really shouldn't have free reign in coroner's labs... just in case you were wondering.
S.K. Gregory
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story, I love the idea of it being in a morgue and that for Charlie, that is her life. The characters were well developed and there was some great dialogue. I thought the story was different, quirky and very enjoyable. Five stars!
Samantha L. Groom
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tremendously fun and moving

Over and over, I kept thinking to myself that this was tackling some really deep issues for a YA story, issues that go beyond simple themes of lie and death. Our main character has grown up in a world where death surrounds her at all times, but that's just the beginning of how we get to know her. What Charlie goes through in the course of this well-told story are dealt with expertly from her point of view, not that of an adult author looking back with wiser judgment. B
Sapphyria
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Charolotte “Charlie” Sullivan just wants to be a normal teenager accepted by her peers. Unfortunately, when your family owns the funeral home you also live in and your mother is the coroner, classmates tend to make assumptions, jump to conclusions, and stereotype you. It was so easy to relate to Charlie in the teenager wanting to be accepted aspect. All teens want to be popular, belong, and feel accepted. When bodies start appearing with weird types of damage, and then they start to disappear fr ...more
Teresa
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Charlene (Charlie) Sulliven also known as Ghoul Girl by all the kids at school, wants nothing more then to be a normal teenager. To have friends, go to parties, go on dates, and all the other things teenagers do. With er family running the mortuary and her mom the Coroner that's just not gonna happen in her small town.

People in town are dying. That's normal right? Well what's not normal is they are coming back. The bodies are being delivered to the "Body Shop" at Charlie's house, but during the
Angi Burns ~Rabid Readers Book Blog
Flesh by Laura Bickle
By Angi

I was introduced to Laura by my fellow team blogger Mary. I am so glad she connected us because wow!

I looked at the cover read the synopsis and well honestly thought we had your typical ghoul/zombie high school hero story. Well, it is...... and it isn't.

In so many ways it isn't. It's like those sleeper stories, ya know the ones I mean, where you're going along reading the story and all of a sudden it took a sudden turn. A turn that yea now that you read it you could
Berni Phillips
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good, creepy book for Halloween season. Charlie, our teenage protagonist, gets called "Ghoul Girl" by her classmates because her family runs a funeral home and her mom is the coroner. Not exactly the sort of environment to foster bonding with your fellow classmates through slumber parties.

No. She had one blaze of social glory the previous year when her parents were away and she held a Halloween party at the funeral home, including a tour of the "Body Shop." You can imagine how well tha
Nadine
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At first, I was not sure what to think...

Then, I was still debating internally if I was enjoying myself reading Flesh...

Until it happened!

I got a huge smile on my face, and thought that this book was really great! As you can see it took a bit of time to get into the nitty-gritty of things and when I got my hands on the good stuff, I was pretty much sold!

If I want to sum it up as something very simple for you to have a broad idea of what Flesh is about then, I would tell you that it is a zombie
Jackie
The constant in this story is the grossness factor of little 33-pound Lothar, probably only wiener dog in history of horror to get top billing in a book. Another is of course our main character Charlie Sulliven, or Ghoul Girl as she is known to most of her High School peers.

Taking place around Halloween this tale relies heavily on horror themes and it's accompanying gore. However it also details issues found in friendships and family relationships, especially ones for Charlie.

A Young Adult read
S.L. Dearing
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Laura Bickle has done a great job with Flesh! What a fun ride! It has all the gore and fear factor we want in a horror tale, but loaded with a ton of humor. The legend and the journey are well worth the read.

Charlie is a great character, full of all the things teenagers are, and so much more. I loved how the teenagers are teenagers. I think as we get older, we do forget some of what it is to be a teen, but Bickle has done a great job capturing the emotions and thoughts of a young person, like C
Jill Hamilton-Krawczyk
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Ok... I’m totally hooked on this author! Just recently I read Laura Bickle’s Amish vampire duology — The Hollowed Ones and The Outside — and absolutely loved them! This stand alone book was just as entertaining. This author really has a way with captivating storytelling! Every chapter, every paragraph, every word moves the story along, develops the characters and keeps you turning the pages. And the plots are totally unique! The rest of Laura Bickle’s books are going to the top of my wishli ...more
Jessica
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, young-adult
Ghouls and adolescent awkwardness and a hilariously gruesome dachshund. This was a lot of fun.

CW: one reference to rape. Part of the story is based on "Native American" legend (but no info on what tribe or nation so eh, sketchy). Also, everyone is white.
Brooke Grantham
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always love her books!

As usual, Laura Bickle has managed to come up with new twists on a story that you think you have figured out. Love her books
Amanda
Oct 29, 2017
Melissa Gouveia
Sep 22, 2017
Katherine Paschal
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charlie wants nothing more but to be liked and seen as "normal", not the odd Ghoul Girl as the kids at school call her. But that is unlikely to happen with her mom as the coroner and her dad the funeral director- and the funereal parlor is her house. Yeah, normal has never been in the cards for Charlie, but it seems like things have gotten even more strange recently with her mom attacked at work and a body going missing with no evidence of it being stolen...

I have been wanting to read this st
Katrina
Sam Malane
Feb 10, 2018
tiffany griffiths
Oct 27, 2017
Laura Bickle grew up in rural Ohio, reading entirely too many comic books out loud to her favorite Wonder Woman doll. After graduating with an MA in Sociology – Criminology from Ohio State University and an MLIS in Library Science from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, she patrolled the stacks at the public library and worked with data systems in criminal justice. She now dreams up stories ab ...more