Start by marking “Ikigai: The Japanese secret to a long and happy life” as Want to Read:
Ikigai: The Japanese secret to a long and happy life

Ikigai: The Japanese secret to a long and happy life

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  26,666 ratings  ·  2,436 reviews
Discover the Japanese secret to a long and happy life with the internationally bestselling guide to ikigai - 'a refreshingly simple recipe for happiness' (Stylist Magazine)

The people of Japan believe that everyone has an ikigai – a reason to jump out of bed each morning. And according to the residents of the Japanese island of Okinawa – the world’s longest-living peop
Published September 7th 2017 by Cornerstone Digital (first published April 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Ikigai, please sign up.
Marcelo Galuppo This is not addressed by the authors, but I think you misunderstood their intention. They discuss how people from Okinawa achieve a very old age (abou…moreThis is not addressed by the authors, but I think you misunderstood their intention. They discuss how people from Okinawa achieve a very old age (about 90 years old) through alimentation, exercise and, sure, Ikigai (something that connects one`s mission, profession, vocation and activity). I think it is irrelevant that most suicides take place in Japan (Okinawa isn`t quite Japan). The question is why the most old people are from Okinawa.(less)

·  26,666 ratings  ·  2,436 reviews

Start your review of Ikigai: The Japanese secret to a long and happy life
Chris Chester
Sep 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I kind of feel bad panning this book, because I think helping people find their ikigai -- or their purpose in life -- is a worthwhile goal.

The problem is, I have to think that the author and his publisher know that this book doesn't come anywhere close to achieving that goal.

Instead, this book is a jumbled mess. It borrows heavily from the work of others, from Victor Frankl to the guys studying flow states, slaps on a thin veneer of received wisdom from Japanese octogenarians and attempts to pas
BookishDubai
This book has nothing to do with Ikigai. Honestly it should've been titled How to Live a Long Life like an Okinawan.

Gabriela
Oct 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could live with the fact that every idea about the Western approach to finding a purpose in life is taken from Frankl, Taleb and a few others. With no personal contribution from the authors. But to claim that you interviewed 100 people from Okinawa and to present your readers with no more than 5 pages of random (and in no way revealing, profound or even interesting) quotes from these interviews...that is just disrespectful. To the reader and to the interviewees.
Bharath
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of things going for it - it is concise, packages best known & appreciated theories on a long life & happiness and provides examples from Japan on a fulfilling life.

Ikigai is the Japanese concept of a purposeful life where what you love, are good at intersects with what the world really needs and is willing to pay for making it a winning combination which you as an individual enjoy pursuing. The authors start with Logotherapy pioneered by Victor Frankl, who after a painful per
7jane
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book's title is a little misleading: while it does talk about ikigai, it also talks about what things are connected to it, and the main point is on having a long, happy, healthy(ish) life, as seen from the (mostly) Okinawan way of life. The authors traveled to Ogimi, which is in Okinawa, Japan, and spent time there interviewing and observing the oldest people, who all seemed to have this ikigai (the reason to get up in the morning), a joy of life and very active daily activities.

The chapters
Nadia King
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I literally inhaled this book. Ikigai is a beautiful book about Japanese culture and discusses the secret to a long and happy life. If you're interested in Japanese culture and self-development this gorgeous book is for you. Just reading this had a calm and centering effect on me. "Happiness is always determined by your heart." 💙
Jasmin Martin
May 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I expected more but this book disappoints. It doesnt seem to follow a clear thread but rather jumps randomly around from one fact to another (which the authors thought relevant) such as stress and what it does to the body, and then short profiles on some of the longest lived persons on the planet. These don't have much to do with the Ogimi folk of Okinawa that the researchers were going to visit and interview. I though they were going to write about them and their entire time spent with them, bu ...more
Helen
May 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. It's really just a recap of The Blue Zones of Happiness with emphasis on the Okinawa aspect. The quote I find most disconcerting, after reading the entire book, is "There is no perfect strategy to connecting with our ikigai"....but (what we learn from the Okinawans) is "don't worry too much about finding it." But then, in the next and final page, they say, "if you don't know what your ikigai is yet, as Viktor Frankl says, your mission is to discover it."
So which is it? And aside from exerci
bookish.bulletin
The below review is as on https://thebookishbulletin.wordpress....

Having read a good number of self-help books in the past and not being too inspired by any of them, I was kind of reluctant to pick this one up. But there was something so soothing and inviting about the cover-the depiction of Japanese cherry blossoms because of which I decided that maybe it was worth a shot. Believe me, I was not disappointed.

Ikigai is a treasure trove of life’s secrets. It posits a series of precise and workable
Patrick Sherriff
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
I just got my Japanese pension book in the mail today, but won't be able to use it for a good 20 years yet, so staying alive for a long time suddenly just became a bit more real for me: to get all my pension payments back I'll need to be around for a good 30 more years at least. And the advice presented here seems irrefutable: eat more fruit and veg; drink less alcohol; do a bit of exercise everyday; don't sweat the small stuff; don't sweat the big stuff; hang out with your loved ones everyday; ...more
Rose
Quick review for a quick read. I definitely like the concept of "ikigai" and looked forward to learning more about the concept based on the description this book gave. However, upon finishing this - I felt that some of the advice was helpful, but very generalized and unfocused in this book. You get tidbits of insight on Japanese culture here, but it's more in the eyes of the authors experiencing the culture than it is direct voicing from the culture itself. That's a problem when you're trying to ...more
Siqahiqa
Mixed feelings while reading this book.
I believe the title and content is not matched. About 30% for the secret of Japanese people. The rest is all about other research findings. Nonetheless, this book makes me more understand and know about some concept even though it was not related to Japanese such as Logotherapy.

Should read Epilogue only then. Overhyped. Yes.
Louise Garnier
Jan 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so disappointed. I thought this would be an amazing book but actually it's a mess. I could see what the authors were trying to do but they could have done it in 40 pages or less. There were some contradictory thoughts, not to mention the amount of times the same ideia was repeated over and over. Most of the times the graphics were completely unnecessary, as the text is super simple and easy to understand. Also, the amount of information about techniques and breathing exercises seemed as if t ...more
Michael Stevens
May 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A terrible generic self-help book that doesn’t even remotely touch on Ikigai and Japanese living. You get way more out of reading the back cover (the back blurb and diagram is really interesting) than wasting your time attempting this book.
Ezgi Tülü
Jan 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 35%
Chris
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life

Ikigai is a Japanese concept that means "a reason for being." It is similar to the French phrase Raison d'être. Everyone, according to Japanese culture, has an ikigai. Finding it requires a deep and often lengthy search of self. Such a search is important to the cultural belief that discovering one's ikigai brings satisfaction and meaning to life. Examples include work, hobbies and raising children.
The term ikigai compounds two Japanese words:
Gergana
Oct 14, 2018 marked it as non-fiction  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Not bad, I also recently read: "The Little Book of Ikigai: The Essential Japanese Way to Find Your Purpose in Life". However, to be completely frank, I found neither of these two books to be that useful nor interesting. Yep...

Without reading the official description of Ikigai, what I understood from both of these books is that you need to find a purpose in your life, you need to eat like a Japanese person, exercise, be grateful, be content with what you have and find happiness in every minor t
SSC
Oct 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short book with a mismash of ideas starting about finding one's purpose and how keeping active, having a social life within a community and having light work is the secret to longevity. However there was nothing new or insightful here, and towards the second half of the book there was just a description of different exercise forms e.g. tai chi, yoga; a weird section on NNT's book and concept Antifragile, and some quotes from centegerians on their secret to success.

There are better boo
Chintan Panchamia
I'm opposed to reading non-fiction for the reason that I find it often to be without any artistic significance. It to me does not speak of extraordinarily hard work for some straightforward reasons like, they just had to write about their own experiences & (usually) achievements they are unapologetically proud of. I can find the same lessons in world history, where the world was not so divisive and fractional, thus making the learning and the moral of the story much more evident than a book abou ...more
Thomas Clairmont
Ikigai 生き甲斐 is a Japanese term for "a reason for being." The word Ikigai usually refers to the source of value in one's life or the things that make one's life worthwhile.

First of all, I wish I had enjoyed this book more since it was one of my most anticipated read for this new year. I had this idea in my head that this little book would be a life changing one and that I will be able to learn a lot of useful things. Unfortunately, it wasn’t the case.

The book itself is entitled Ikigai: The Japane
Shhhhh Ahhhhh
This isn't a bad book but it's not as informative as I hoped it would be. I didn't feel that an adequate job was done of fleshing out the titular concept. It read more like a sci pop piece (in the style of Gladwell, not Pinker or Diamond) mixed with an amateur's ethnography of a blue zone. I appreciate the smatterings of references to more dense material but felt that it was haphazardly weaved together. I don't feel like I've gotten a primer on the concept, but I do feel that I've gotten a quick ...more
Neha More
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet Read!
S.Ach
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Do one thing. Get your retired father/grand-father's mobile phone. Seek permission to check his WhatsApp messages. (He won't say 'No'. Just ask him.) Go to the group titled "Retired Employees Association" or "Second Innings" or "Life begins at 60" or "Sunset Club" or something like that. Check the forwarded messages (Ignore the ones with political propaganda or hatred for people from other religion, region or historical wrongs etc). What you get now is precisely the summary of this book .

Yes, t
Acordul Fin

Ikigai is seen as the convergence of four primary elements:

What you love (your passion)
What the world needs (your mission)
What you are good at (your vocation)
What you can get paid for (your profession)
This was a mess. Surface level, vague information that you can Google under 5 minutes and still learn more than this book has to offer.

How can this claim to be about Japanese culture when it barely delves into it? The way this was put together makes it look like the authors looked up "longevity in
Nanya Srivastava
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ikigai: the sweet spot where passion meets profession meets mission meets vocation.

This book isn't about how you can find your ikigai , even though it does offer a few tips on finding your "flow" and maintaining it. This book is primarily about longevity, and contributing factors. So, do not pick it up if you think it will help you discover meaning in life.

The district of Okinawa in Japan has the highest life expectancy in the world. Apart from diet and exercise (both of which have a chapter de
KC
This is a small. It powerful book filled with easy and obtainable goals. I've learned that I must achieve flow by giving up multi-tasking, slowing things down, living in the moment, and to breathe. Back to my sun salutations and meditations.
Jenny Grant
The last book I read on this topic was really inspiring and I couldn’t put it down.

I was looking forward to reading this one and was woefully disappointed.

It’s insipid, tedious and misses the point entirely.
Farhan Khalid
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okinawa holds first place among the world’s Blue Zones

Okinawa is an island, South of mainland Japan, containing some of the world’s longest-living humans

Okinawa is known for its slow paced life

They are relaxed and enjoy all that they do. They celebrate all the time, even little things

In Japanese, ikigai is written by combining the symbols that mean life with to be worthwhile

Translates roughly as the happiness of always being busy

Simply put it means the Reason for Being

Everyone wants to b
Jayashrita Debnath
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I have given this book a very very generous 3 stars.
The idea of the book is good but reading it felt more like reading a set of google search results or Wikipedia pages. Apart from some of sections dealing with the lives of Okinawa people that were interesting, the book was more or less boring.
Deanna
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A waffly and weak 3 stars

The disconnect between the title and content is the main problem with this short book, which purports to be about the Japanese principle of life purpose.

Instead, this is a meandering review of commonly reported factors in Japanese well-being and longevity, with a number of loosely-related western concepts thrown in.

For what it actually is, instead of meant to be, I appreciated it. But the sketchy presentation of the title concept can easily be summed up in a sentence,

• The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • The 5 AM Club: Own Your Morning. Elevate Your Life
  • Zen: The Art of Simple Living
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • The Secret (The Secret, #1)
  • Life's Amazing Secrets: How to Find Balance and Purpose in Your Life
  • The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny
  • The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
  • The Alchemist
  • The Rudest Book Ever
  • The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: Guidance on the Path to Mindfulness from a Spiritual Leader
  • The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well
  • A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
  • Man's Search for Meaning
  • The Power of Your Subconscious Mind
  • Siddhartha
  • Wabi Sabi: Japanese Wisdom for a Perfectly Imperfect Life
  • Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
I'm the author of several Japanese culture books: Ikigai the Japanese Secret for a Long and Happy Life, The Book of Ichigo Ichie, Shinrinyoku, The Ikigai Journey and A Geek in Japan.

I LOVE reading and writing.

Autor de los libros sobre cultura japonesa: Ikigai, Ichigo Ichie, Shinrinyoku, Un Geek en Japón.

News & Interviews

“essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.” 22 likes
“There is a tension between what is good for someone and what they want to do. This is because people, especially older people, like to do things as they've always done them. The problem is that when the brain develops ingrained habits, it doesn't need to think anymore. Things get done very quickly and efficiently on automatic pilot, often in a very advantageous way. This creates a tendency to stick to routines, and the only way of breaking these is to confront the brain with new information.” 16 likes