Start by marking “The First One To Die (Detectives King and Lane, #2)” as Want to Read:
The First One To Die (Detectives King and Lane, #2)

The First One To Die

(Detectives King and Lane #2)

She tried to break her fall, twisting desperately, but there was nothing to catch hold of, nothing with which she could stop herself. Her single scream cut through the night air.

Keira North falls to her death at a party. It initially seems like an accident, but Detectives Alex King and Chloe
Published November 15th 2017 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The First One To Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First One To Die

Liz
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I was drawn to this book as the blurb compares the author to Patricia Gibney and Angela Marsons, two of my favorite mystery writers. And the comparison is apt.

This is an interesting mystery told from multiple points of view. Delicious writing:

“The sound of her scream has stayed with me. It replays in my brain, disturbing yet somehow satisfying. It sounds like helplessness. Like despair. It sounds exactly like the things I have felt but kept locked inside for all this time. I have transferred my
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: She felt him behind her, then everything happened so quickly. A hand touched her back for the briefest of moments before a firm shove sent her flailing from the ledge. She tried to break her fall,twisting desperately through the air, but there was nothing to catch hold of, nothing with which she could stop herself.

A single scream cut through the night air.

THE BLURB: Four friends. A house full of secrets. And a killer picking them off one by one...

She tried to break her fall, twisting
Monnie
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Four things I gravitate toward when I have a spare 15 or 20 minutes: Playing word puzzles on my smartphone, seeing what my family and friends are up to on Facebook, looking for a snack in the kitchen cupboard and polishing off another chapter or two of whatever book I'm reading. Accordingly, one of the ways I know I'm loving the book I'm reading is when the other three options go by the boards.

That certainly was the case here - so besides being a little hungry, I'm now faced with major catching
Zannie (darktwistybooks)
The First One to Die by Victoria Jenkins is even better than her first King & Lane book, The Girls in the Water.

First things first, how AMAZING is the cover? I wanted to read The Girls in the Water, but my TBR was so big that I was afraid I couldn’t squeeze it in. I’d seen fantastic reviews for it, but I didn’t want to overextend myself on how many reviews I owed already.

But how in the world did Victoria Jenkins know how much I loved roses? When the cover reveal was shown for The First One t
Mandy White
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The First One to Die is the second book in this series. I enjoyed it more than the first. I had intended to have an early night tonight but I just could put this book down. 4 housemates with secrets.. 4 housemates who are being picked off one by one. Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for a copy of this book to read and review
Book Addict Shaun
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
After finishing The Girls in the Water I immediately started reading The First One to Die and read 50% in one sitting until 2.30am because I became gripped to the story instantly. The plot here was fantastic and I’ve spent the morning reading the other 50% in a single sitting too.

I really liked Alex and Chloe in the first book and couldn’t wait to read about them again. We find out here that Alex’s mother is in a home with dementia. Whilst others have pointed out that it helped them to understa
Pamela
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Welcome back Alex and Chloe! I must say that I liked this one better than the first. Alex and Chloe are both being more fully developed and this story felt more personal. It had more depth, a more satisfying plot and some nice twists. Great writing style! I am looking forward to more from these two detectives.

**Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley in exchange of an honest review.**

Linda Strong
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young college student falls to her death from a rooftop. An accident? Was she pushed? Picked up and tossed?

DI Alex King and DC Chloe Lane are called to investigate. Interviewing her housemates, they find that the victim was well-liked, had no enemies ... but someone did hear her arguing with someone a few minutes before she went off the roof.

Postmortem examination reveals that she was 5 months pregnant ... but who was the father? Alex’s team soon finds that all of her closest friends have secr
Amy
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
4.5/5

This is the second in a series following the dynamic duo of Alex and Chloe, I really enjoyed the first book The Girls in the Water and was eager to catch up with them again. I think one of the things that I love the most about this series is the fact that you have two strong women working as partners, it’s unique and I’m all about the girl power! I also enjoyed diving deeper into their personal lives and finding out more about what motivates them and seeing what Alex in particular is dealin
Ruthy lavin
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good, well written and easily flowing crime thriller, set In South Wales (always love the Welsh settings, as a proud Welsh woman!)
This is the second book by this author that I’ve read, but the first in this particular series.
It alternated well between the characters and was gripping enough that I read it in one sitting on a lazy, wet Saturday morning.
It would be a perfect holiday read.
4 stars.
Holly
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, netgalley
This was a great second book in the King/Lane series! I felt this one was a bit more grittier than the first one. It starts off by the prologue that someone is going to be stabbed but we don’t know who that person is. If that’s not enough to get you hooked, there’s so many twists that you’ll be up all night trying to figure it out! We also see a more personal side to the two detectives which was nice. Really enjoyed the mystery portion of the story—it was very well done! Can’t wait to read more ...more
Eva
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, now! Where to start?! I was blown away by the first instalment in this series “The Girls in the Water” a few months ago, which was incredible, but this one is even better! I have no idea how Victoria Jenkins managed that but she did.

Keira North falls to her death at a party. The general consensus seems to be it was an unfortunate accident but Detective Alex King isn’t convinced. Keira’s housemates all seem to be hiding secrets and it doesn’t look like any of them can be trusted. Meanwhile
Susan Johnson
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley

This is the second book in the series but the first one I have read. I probably should have read the first one as the two main characters, Alex and Chloe, are detectives with Cardiff, Wales police department and live together. I didn't quite get their relationship but apparently they had both been in bad situations so they were living together while they reassessed their lives. They both have issues that were a little vague to me.

Still it didn't take away from the story of a young uni
Monica Mac
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, the 2nd book in the new series starring Alex King and Chloe Lane. It is nice to read this one after book 1, however, it works well as a standalone also.

There are a lot of suspects in Keira's death and the list of murders and suspects keeps on growing. Just when you think someone is "definitely" the killer, it turns out they are not. The author deftly weaves all the strands of this story together in a coherent way, which is appreciated when you are reading a police p
Kendall
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the second book in the series but I didn't read the first (which I probably should have haha). Our two main characters, Alex and Chloe, are detectives with Cardiff, Wales police department and live together.

The story takes some twists and turns that kept me reading for the most part. I feel like there are so many detective series books out there but this one unfortunately was missing substance for me. I feel like the characterization could have been more in depth. I wasn't that impresse
Renita D'Silva
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this author's debut featuring Detectives King and Lane and this one - well this one's even better, One of the best crime novels I have read - and I read many. I raced through this book, reading it in a breath-taking, heart-pounding rush. The author is so very skilled, the pace never lets down and it is a thrilling roller coaster of a story. I cannot wait for this author's next book. She is my new favourite!
Elaine Tomasso
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of The First One to Die, the second in the series of Detectives King and Lane police procedurals set in South Wales.

There is a student party raging in Keira North's lodgings when she is pushed to her death from her bedroom window. When DI Alex King gets to the scene most of the evidence has been destroyed by inept first responders. All she is left with is the gut feeling that it was murder and not an accident but Superintendent H
Alison
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m beginning to think the covers of Victoria’s books alone should speak for themselves. This one is every bit as delightful as the previous book, The Girls in the Water which I read and enjoyed. So it was great to catch up with the female duo King and Lane in The First One To Die. We had a lot of detailed background on these two detectives in the first story so I would recommend reading that to achieve a greater understanding.

This time it is slightly more focused on the crime rather than family
Jacob Collins
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All of my reviews can be found at: https://hookedfrompageoneblog.wordpre...

I’m delighted to be taking part in The First One To Die blog tour today, the second book in Victoria Jenkins Detectives King and Lane series.

Victoria Jenkins Detectives King and Lane series is fast becoming one of my favourites. I loved the first book The Girls in the Water and The First One To Die is even better. If you’re a fan of Angela Marsons and Robert Bryndza, you have to read Victoria Jenkins.

At the beginning of t
Mary Thomas
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for my copy.

When I read the first book in this series I criticized the constant repetition in the book but felt the writer was very talented. This book is vastly improved in that aspect and therefore more enjoyable.

Four housemates share a house and in the midst of a party one of them is pushed to her death. All the housemates have their secrets and Detectives Alex King and Chloe Lane are called in to investigate. Initially everyone thinks the victim slipped and it is a tragic
Bev
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it, have-read
Detective Alex King is called out to the scene of a young girl who is dead. Keira North is twenty years old and looks like she fell from the roof top. But there are signs inside that she was not alone and witnesses overheard her arguing with someone. Was this an accident, or murder? Keira was also five months pregnant. Her friends are not as forth coming as one would think they would be. Are they hiding something as well? This is a very well written story of murder and suspense. It is the second ...more
Sean Talbot
the characters are well designed and I see such a great potential in the books. I do see that the stories to me don't always join up together as nicely as I want
Claire Watson
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The First One to Die is the second instalment in the Detectives King and Lane series. It’s a great follow up to The Girls In the Water but can be read as a stand alone.

This book features four friends, a house full of secrets and a killer picking them off one by one. The first death initially seems like and accident but Detectives King and Lane suspect foul play, then more bodies begin turning up. King and Lane begin investigating, but they are also fighting their own demons, will this impact on
Joyce
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wendi Lee
A college student falls to her death during a party. Despite a heavily mismanaged crime scene, Detectives Alex and Chloe quickly realize that Keira's death is not an accident. What they aren't prepared for is for Keira's roommates to be targeted next ...

Strengths:

I really liked the introspective nature of both detectives, and their strong friendship. Chloe is even temporarily living with Alex. I haven't read the first book in this series, but it's hinted that past events have traumatized Chloe
Courtney Smyth
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for the ARC of The First One to Die by Victoria Jenkins. What a fab follow up to The Girls in the Water. I can't wait for more King & Lane books!

The story follows four house mates sharing a flat, one turns up dead - did she fall or was she pushed off the balcony? What follows is a brilliant story with twists and turns that keep you hooked! The ending was fabulous!!

I love Victoria Jenkins, her writing style is enthralling and her short snappy chapters kee
Andrew
Having read and reviewed and liked 'The Girls in the Water', the debut novel and first in the series, I was keen to read this book too.

This book opens with a brief and punchy prologue.

I like the way Victoria Jenkins has managed to develop the characters of the detectives (Alex King and Chloe Lane) in this second book. She has also managed to create a novel which has pace and a real sense of geographical authenticity.

It is difficult to say too much about the plot without spoiling the story. Suffi
Julie Lacey
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in this series that I’ve read and I really enjoyed it.
Both Detectives have their own problems but you get a real sense that they’re there for each other both at home and at work.
The first death is a shock to everyone and the victims housemates each seem to have something to hide.
There’s quite a lot for Detectives King and Lane to work through and the killer came as a real surprise for me.
This is a gripping crime book and I’d recommend it to all crime fiction readers.
T
Clair
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
I absolutely loved Victoria Jenkins’ first book, The Girls In The Water so was thrilled to find out there was a second book out so soon after the first one and I couldn’t wait to get my DI Alex King and DC Chloe Lane fix!! I would definitely recommend reading book 1 so you understand the back stories of Alex and Chloe, and how they came to be such firm friends.

** Spoilers ahead in respect of book 1 **

In The First One To Die, Alex and Chloe are living in a harmonious house share after Alex took C
Diane Hogg
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The First One To Die is the second in the series following Detectives King & Lane by Victoria Jenkins and what a cracker it is. How many of you love a fantastic cover, well the illustration on the cover of Victoria’s newest release is outstanding, the single dying rose amongst the living is so serene and spine-chilling, you can’t help but open the book and read.

In The First One To Die, the sense of anticipation is foreboding, turning those first couple of pages, then wham your first death. A
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Detectives King a...: The First One to Die (Book 2): Where to Buy 1 1 Nov 13, 2018 09:11AM

• The Death Collector (Joe & Sam Parker #2)
  • Hangtown (Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator, #2)
  • Blood Symmetry (Alice Quentin, #5)
  • Last Lullaby (Detective Natalie Ward, #2)
  • Shot Through the Heart (D.I. Grace Fisher, #2)
  • Gone (Gardner and Freeman, #2)
  • For Richer, For Poorer (Jessica Daniel, #10)
  • The Killing Club (DS Heckenburg, #3)
  • Her Final Hour (Detective Gina Harte, #2)
  • A Room Full of Killers (DCI Matilda Darke, #3)
  • Heartbreaker (Brennan & Esposito #7)
  • Hope to Die (DS Nathan Cody #2)
  • The Jackdaw (DI Sean Corrigan, #4)
  • Dead Lost (Calladine & Bayliss, #4)
  • The Reckoning on Cane Hill
Victoria Jenkins is a Welsh author who has made a name for herself writing the highly popular Detective King and Lane series of novels. The first novel in the series was “The Girls In The Water” that Jenkins first published in 2017, to much critical acclaim and popularity among crime fiction fans.
The series of novels features Detective Constable Chloe Lane and Detective Inspector Alex King, who a

Detectives King and Lane (4 books)
  • The Girls In The Water (Detectives King and Lane, #1)
  • Nobody's Child (Detectives King and Lane, #3)
  • A Promise to the Dead (Detectives King and Lane, #4)
“No one could possibly understand what it meant to watch a person alter so drastically in front of them, to see them change and deteriorate until eventually there was just a hollow shell that no longer remotely resembled the person” 3 likes
“Don’t let anyone or anything keep you from doing what’s best for you.” 1 likes