Start by marking “The Hearts We Sold” as Want to Read:
The Hearts We Sold

The Hearts We Sold

When Dee Moreno makes a deal with a demon—her heart in exchange for an escape from a disastrous home life—she finds the trade may have been more than she bargained for. And becoming “heartless” is only the beginning. What lies ahead is a nightmare far bigger, far more monstrous than anything she could have ever imagined.

With reality turned on its head, Dee has only a group
Hardcover, Owlcrate Exclusive Cover, 384 pages
Published August 2017 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Hearts We Sold, please sign up.
Lily It's a standalone but I'm trying to convince the author to write a sequel

Start your review of The Hearts We Sold
Elle (ellexamines)

my heart actually still exists but I'm going to sell it to a demon because I no longer truly have it. this was SO. CATHARTIC.

There are books that make you cry of sadness, and then there are books that make you cry with a sense of beauty. A sense that no matter how terrible things get, everything will eventually get better. Books that you emotionally connect to. And this book... wow. The
Melanie

This was in the August 2017 OwlCrate box!

“A demon as knitting outside the hospital.”

This has so much good, I really enjoyed reading it, and I wish I could put this in the hands of a lot of teens that I know need it.

The Hearts We Sold is a story about a girl named Dee that is struggling with abuse and anxiety from her family. She lives in a boarding school that keeps her in a much healthier situation, but the fear never leaves her and it impacts her day to day life constantly.

This s
jessica
i was going to save this for my spooktober reading list, but im glad i didnt because this is the opposite of spooky. so if this isnt spooky, then what is it, you may ask? well, its not bad, but it isnt great either.

it covers some pretty important topics, but also has some storytelling downfalls. it has some great character potential, but all of them stay pretty one dimensional. there is some really great writing, but its super heavy on the plot. it has a very unique world where demons are prese
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
This book was a huge surprise! Reading it reminded me of all the things I love about YA literature. Gah! I can't even form proper thoughts. I just adored it so very much.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
“Nothing comes for free. We just don't know what it'll cost.”

I can't believe it's taken me three months to write this review, but every time I sat down to attempt it, I just couldn't get the right words on paper. This book meant so much to me. I honestly went into it not expecting very much, but something about it just resonated so strongly with me that, even now, months later, I read the quotes I highlighted and I get instant chills. I think Emily Lloyd-Jones is an incredible artist, and I'
Cristina Monica
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: demons
In Emily Lloyd-Jones’ created world, daemons make deals with humans. The latter sell their limbs in exchange for something.

Dee sells her heart to a daemon and requests money in return. Pretty typical, if you ask me. However, the money is for an honourable cause: education.

Indeed, her parents are alcoholics with whom you cannot have a calm conversation. They’d rather Dee stays home than go to school.

But Dee can get her heart back if she serves the Daemon. She and a bunch of other teenagers locat
megs_bookrack
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a lovely and engaging surprise.

This fast-paced YA fantasy book set in Portland, Oregon, is perfect for Readers just starting out with the Fantasy genre.

In this story, demons have shown themselves to exist and now make 'deals' with humans for a variety of different purposes.

Our protagonist, Dee, was super relatable and I loved reading from her perspective. She is dealing with some struggles in her home life, but is well on her way to finding her independence.

Unfortunately, due to financia
Emily Lloyd-Jones
Mar 22, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-wrote
So. This book is a thing I wrote. And of everything I’ve written so far, it’s probably the hardest to describe. There are Faustian deals and Lovecraftian horrors, but mostly this book is about people. It’s about how the scariest monsters are often human and to escape those monsters we must leave parts of ourselves behind.

I’m quite proud of this book, and I hope my readers will love it.

(view spoiler)
may ➹
this was going to be a very "meh" read until that ending, and now I'm crying

3.5 stars, RTC in 2018!!

The Hearts We Sold by Emily Lloyd-Jones
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: August 8, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Candace Robinson
I really loved the concept of this one, and the first and last chapter were amazing... but this wasn’t as cool as I’d hoped. I was hoping for it to be a little darker, and maybe since the main character loses her heart, for her to act different? The romance was really cute, but the rest wasn’t as what I’d hoped it would be. The writing was good, and I did like the main character’s personality, though!
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

“She was a girl held together by knitted yarn and magic.”

I am kicking myself for letting this book sit on my shelf for over a year without reading it. To be fair, the premise didn't catch me, but I made a vow that 2019 would be the year I catch up on all of my Owlcrate books, so I picked it up and I am so glad I did.

The Hearts We Sold is about Dee, a teenager who has a horrible home life and escapes it by going to boarding school. That is, until her scholarship loses funding. Out
Helena of Eretz ✰
“This was how normal people survived their own fairy tales. They became their own kind of monster.”

I’m happy to announce that my 5-star reading streak has continued with this book!!! It’s the best feeling ever when you pick up the best books ever and they manage to project you OUT of a reading slump!

“Fairy tales with all the shine taken away from them were simply stories of desperation. Of hungry wolves devouring children and jealous stepsisters who hacked off their own toes to fit inside a glas
ambsreads
Guys. This. Is. So. Fucking. Good.

I actually have goosebumps. Oh my God. I was expecting something terrible from the low rating but nope. New favourite. I just realised this wasn’t a series and now I’m so sad.

Full review to come.
Stacee
That cover coupled with that synopsis and there was no way I wasn't going to devour this book.

I love love loved Dee. And James. And omfg definitely Gremma. They're all so much fun for different reasons and I loved getting the chapters of why the heartless sold their hearts.

Plot wise, it was everything I could have ever wanted. I laughed and swooned and was on the edge of my seat and was utterly gutted and heartbroken. I loved the story and the ending and the everything.

I know this review isn'
Diana
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So are these voids magic portals or non-space? Are these heart-mongering wish-granting entities demons or aliens? I never really got an answer to whatever paranormal dilemma this book had to offer. The potential of its concept that went all over the place in the middle-ish part and its only likeable character, Lancer, my poor class clown slash Delacroix reincarnate who I'd sell my heart for just so I can alter his ending along with an entire ice cream factory in my name, were wasted by the awkwa ...more
Zainab
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh
Emily
The following is an arts review that I wrote for my journalism class, that’s why it’s so formal lol:

The Hearts We Sold by Emily Lloyd-Jones broke my heart in the best way possible. It’s an exciting story about a girl who sold her heart to a demon in order to escape her abusive household. However, this synopsis merely scratches the surface of the entire story. The protagonist, Dee, is one of four “heartless” in Portland, Oregon. Their mission, assigned by the Agathodaemon who took their hearts, i
Maggie ☘
“A demon was knitting outside the hospital.”

In many ways, this is a paranormal book unlike any other I've read. In fact, it's more like a contemporary character driven story with side of UF world building. If that interests you, you might want to give this one a try.

I loved the beginning, the very first few pages, so much. It started off like a modern day firy tale of its own. The writing is quite strong in this book. And they certainly were some parallels to a fairy tale throughout this story.
Tara ☽
I swear YA standalone fantasies are so much better than drawn-out series. We need more of them.

The Hearts We Sold is a paranormal fantasy about a time in the modern world where demons have shown themselves to the public, and in exchange for a body part they will grant humans one wish. The story harks back to Rumpelstiltskin-like fairy tales, where people would make nefarious deals with dubious and dangerous characters and often end up worse off as a result. It was a wonderful read about the desp
Sana
'And lastly, Dee thought of fairy tales. Of how knights in shining armor could be girls with Molotov cocktails, of how people could fight off monsters, whether those monsters were human or something different altogether.'

UMMMM HOLY SHIT. I honestly was expecting to have nothing more than a good time reading this book about a girl who sold her heart to a demon but guess what, MY EMOTIONS ARE IN SHAMBLES. Like this book came out of the left field and punched me in the heart. When can I reread and
Cesar
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars.

The Hearts We Sold is a strange book. Strange doesn't always mean bad because sometimes strangeness can be fun and captivating. And captivating the plot was. In a world where people sell parts of their body to demons so they can get a wish? That sounds very unique and fun. And for the most part, it is. But where The Hearts We Sold succeded in making a strange unique world, the story may leave some with mixed thoughts.

In the world of The Hearts We Sold, demons have made themselves public
Tabi⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
'She was a girl held together by knitted yarn and magic.'

description

TW for emotional & verbal abuse, anxiety, depression, and self-hatred.

Buckle in, folks, 'cause I'm about to give you a novella of a review since I have many, many feelings about this book. This is an unexpected, unrecognized masterpiece that isn't about demons, faerie-like deals, people who trade their hearts, nor is it really a romance book . . . though all of these things exist. This is a book about survival. From the demon who d
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
I want to sell MY heart just so I don’t have to feel the pain the ending left me with anymore 😭📚💔
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was good. Really good. I went into this book with next to no expectations and am quite shocked by how much I ended up enjoying it. I was hooked right away by the story and only put it down when I had absolutely no other choice. There was enough action in the story to really keep my interest level high. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to read this wonderful story.

I found the story to be really original. Demons are present
Brooke
Paranormal/supernatural isn't usually a genre I gravitate towards, but the synopsis caught my eye so I figured I'd give it a try. Overall I enjoyed this; it held my interest enough to read in one sitting. Lloyd-Jones pens a prose that is captivating enough for an enjoyable read. That being said however, I most likely wouldn't pick up again, but if these kind of books are your thing I'd definitely recommend it.

Dee knows she needs out of her chaotic home life. Her alcoholic father is verbally & ph
mith
you can find my review on my blog as well!

Please leave me alone to wallow in misery.

I don't want to write this review because every time I think about this book, I feel this?? strange pain?? in my heart? Which shouldn't be there, much like the characters in this book? AND YET. THERE IT IS.

Okay, look. Look, this book is just so good. If you, like, manage to get past the first 6 or 7 chapters, then it is goooood. Yes, it's a slow start, but that's only the first 50-ish pages and after that, oh hel
Kayleigh
3 out of 5 stars.

I don't have a quote but ya know. Aesthetic.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about The Hearts We Sold. I'm not even sure that three stars is what I want to give this book, but for now, it seems right. The blurb is absolutely fascinating to me and in some ways it was done really well.

Dee Moreno has a horrible home life. Bad enough that she decides to make a deal with a demon - her heart in exchange for a chance to escape from that life. But, naturally, she finds out that there's mo
Aneta Bak
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
The Hearts We Sold was such a breathtaking novel. I really didn’t want it to end.

Coming from a broken home, Dee’s only escape from her alcoholic parents is her boarding school. But when her scholarship runs out, and there are no other ways for Dee to make enough money in time, Dee strikes a bargain with a Demon. The catch to the deal is that Dee loses her heart for two years, and during that time she has to do the Demon’s bidding. Dee and three other heartless must destroy voids created at rando
Faseeh Ilahi
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
SYNOPSIS:

With reality turned on its head, Dee has only a group of other deal-making teens to keep her grounded, including the charming but secretive James Lancer. And as someth

• Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Foolish Hearts
  • Wild Beauty
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Sandcastle Empire
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1)
  • Witchy
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Horrid
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Winterwood
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • New World Rising (New World Series, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
Emily Lloyd-Jones grew up on a vineyard in rural Oregon, where she played in evergreen forests and learned to fear sheep. After graduating from Western Oregon University with an English degree, she enrolled in the publishing program at Rosemont College just outside of Philadelphia. She currently resides in Northern California.