Start by marking “Improper Fraction” as Want to Read:
Improper Fraction

Improper Fraction

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
O’Malley Ramsey, math aficionado, grew up next door to Garrison Rook, All-American athlete. While O’Malley dreamed of numbers and kissing Garrison, Garrison’s tastes ran to home runs and hot chicks.

During a family celebration the night before both young men were heading off for college, O’Malley joyously discovers that Garrison isn’t quite as straight as the star athlete
Published October 18th 2017 by Gone Writing Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Improper Fraction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Improper Fraction

Lost in a Book
This book hooked me with the geeky title and its nerd/baseball player MCs. Everything else was supposed to be icing on the cake. And it sorta was for about half of the book. But just like when you eat too much cake, the deliciousness of the first few bites just can't hold up throughout the whole thing. That's what happened with Improper Fraction. The first half was everything I love about romance and the second half…

cake.png

O'Malley (Mal) Ramsey and Garrison Rook grew up together. They were inseparable
Cadiva
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this little quirky not quite a straight up sports romance with its little mathematical twist.

I know nothing about math, so some of the references went a little over my head (okay disclaimer I failed my maths O Level so badly I ended up with a CSE Grade 4 - that's like a drop of about five levels into failure!) but it didn't affect my enjoyment.

There's friends to lovers, there's a falling out, there's second chances, there's a bit of enemies to lovers there's a lot of humour and a
Karen
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars rounded down because still no 1/2 stars here on GR.

Sometimes it takes more than 1 + 1 to make 2...

O’Malley is a math geek and Garrison’s a jock. They’re neighbors and have grown up living next door to each other. O’Malley’s gay, Garrison’s straight…sorta’, kinda’…almost? Except he’s not. Turns out Garrison’s bi or he thinks he might be gay…he’s not sure. This was honestly one of the best parts of this story. There was no ‘oh you’re bi, you can’t commit, I don’t date bi men’…nope, no
Lelyana
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, from-author, arc, 2017
Honestly, I'm tired of 'homophobia' conflict. Homophobia is kinda okay if not too much. But this is 2017, even in my homophobic country, people don't do that again. But okay, scratch that, I'm glad the main story focused on O'Malley and Garrison. Being friends since they're kids, didn't make it easy to put it a word that they're actually have the same feeling. But Garrison is a jock, he has a bright future as a professional athlete. That's what happens to you when you make assumption for everyth ...more
R.J.
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I may be slightly biased because I write with VL, but this book just ticks my friends-to-enemies-to-lovers boxes so well... And there is a summer camp, and angst, and family, and love, and hot sex... Yep, all my boxes :)
Jay
3 stars – Solely based on the fact that one of the main characters is a math nerd (I'm a math nerd) who is in love with his jock-next-door best friend (sadly, this was not the case for me), I went into Improper Fraction with high hopes. Unfortunately, while the story is fine, there was just too much about it that left me disappointed. Another case of "I liked it, but I didn't love it."

Longer review to come.

The author and/or publisher generously provided me a complimentary copy of Improper Fracti
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Warm & Fuzzy Stars

O'Malley and Garrison have been best friends and next-door neighbors since the first grade. O'Malley is out and proud, and has been harboring secret feelings for Garrison- not puppy love or a crush, true love type emotions.

The prologue set the book up perfectly, taking a friends-to-could-be-lovers into a tension-filled confrontation. The summer camp portion of the story was my favorite of the entire nove
Emily Seelye
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, sports, arc, virgins
Would have liked this more if Garrison was a hockey player, not a baseball player. I have nothing against baseball, but as far as the story goes, it didn't work for me.

Both men have just graduated university, Mal, the narrator, is looking for a teaching job, but Garrison goes straight to the minor leagues playing for the Carolina Cutters. Somehow he's able to delay his start date so he can volunteer at the math & science camp his sister is attending and that Mal is the head counselor. The t
Bev
3.5 stars rounded up. Friends to enemies to lovers story, with a second chance element, a closeted sports star, a homophobic attack and a HEA. Wasn't sure about the writing some of the time, seemed a little clunky, but happy for the strangely named O'Malley Ramsey and Garrison Rook.
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

The very start of this story - a graduation goodbye between childhood best friends in a treehouse - is a wonderful scene. I’m not sure the rest of the story ever quite recaptures the magic of that moment but readers definitely understand why O’Malley struggles to move on from his teenage crush.

O’Malley is a great character. I enjoyed his enthusiasm for maths and his passion for teaching kids. He’s at his best when he’s working
JenMcJ
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, I knew better. I know better. I do. I don't like second chance romances. One of the MC's is always a tool that gets forgiven and I never get it. I gave this one a chance because I like sports stories.

However, as predicted, this second chance story is no different from the vast majority. One MC is a giant cowardly tool, the other is waaaaaay too good for him but forgives him in a heartbeat because of long lost love? good old days? teenage crush? family friendship? I have no idea?. The wri
Annie
This one wavered between 3-3.5 stars for me

I’ve previously enjoyed some books this author co-wrote, so I figured it was past time to read a book she wrote alone. Improper Fraction began with a prologue that checked all my boxes and I settled in for what I presumed would be a fantastic read. For me this book didn’t live up to my expectations.

I liked both main characters and was excited for the best friends to lover and nerd/athlete trope combination. I was also immediately drawn to the humor incl
Anu
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Math nerd! Baseball star! First time, new adult and childhood friends to lovers! This book has it all and I enjoyed it very very much.

So we have O'Malley ('Mal') and Garrison, peas in a pod since childhood and best friends - until the night before they head to college and they become...more, only to have Garrison leave Mal behind for four years.
The boys meet up at a math camp where Mal is a counselor and Garrison turns up as a volunteer. It doesn't take long for the old spark to return but Mal
Ruthie Taylor
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is a romance that has been in the making since O'Malley first realised he was gay and that loved his best friend more than anyone in the world. Unrequited except for one moment of madness, he has been harbouring a great deal of resentment and heartbreak ever since. I liked however, that he had still done plenty of experimenting at college, and whilst a maths nerd, he also cared about his looks and health.

Garrison i
Veronica
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

After a prologue that sets up O'Malley and Garrison's back story, we join O'Malley at a summer camp where he is a counsellor. After having no contact with O'Malley for 4 years, Garrison shows up at the camp also to work as a counsellor, throwing O'Malley for a loop.

As a youngest in the 80s I loved watching movies like Meatballs and Poison Ivy so I was thrilled to be reading a book set at a summer camp and I was happily read
Cathy Brockman
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
O'Malley and Garrison were friends since first grade. O'Malley came out in High school but Garrison is straight or at least O'Malley thought until the night before they were both leaving for college. A confession from Garrison along with hot kisses gropes and a promise to talk every day and be back at Christmas leads to lies and distrust.
Four years later at summer camp, they cross paths again Garrison wanting O'Malley to listen to him and another chance to make things right. Will O'Malley get ov
LeeAnn
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I laughed out loud , I cried, fanned myself several times , I high- fived an amazing character and I wanted to slam someones face in , all while reading this story.
There is young love, disappointment and pain, renewed affection and learning to trust again.
Garrison and O'Malley are such wonderful characters, flaws and all. Their families are the most amazing ever!
I will not give away more of this except this MUST be said...I fell hard and fast for both of these men, cheered them on, rooted for t
Annie
V.L. Locey is a new author for me so I picked this up not knowing what to expect. There were so many things about this book that are generally a huge YES for me that I jumped on the opportunity to review. We've got childhood friends who lose touch after admitting their feelings for each other, and friends-to-lovers and second chances are my catnip.

This story takes place in South Carolina (my home state! We're so underrepresented in books it's not even funny) and I both loved it and learned why p
VVivacious
A ScatteredThoughtsandRogueWords Review. This review can also be found here.

4.5 Stars out of 5

O’Malley Ramsey and Garrison Rook have been inseparable from a really young age. Mal has been in love with his best friend ever since he learnt what love was but the day they both head off for college sees Mal’s wildest dreams come true as Garrison might not be as straight as he wants to appear. They both make fervent promises to come back to each other but while Mal keeps his end of the promise Garriso
ButtonsMom2003
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a good friends-to-enemies-to-lovers story.

Wow, Improper Fraction really hit me with all the feels. It's been a little while since I've read a story with this trope – childhood best friends, one gay, one not-so-straight and they have a falling out.

When O'Malley discovers that his best friend and secret crush, Garrison, isn't as straight as he always thought, the two make a promise to each other. Unfortunately, Garrison doesn't hold up his end of the deal and O'Malley is devastated. But life
Laurie
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet, at times bittersweet and humorous story of best friends, who lose each other along the way. O’Malley has been in lust and love with his best friend Garrison since forever. Even when Garrison was off chasing girls. But one night, the night before they go off to college, leads to things between the friends that changes everything. O’Malley has known he was gay for a while. Finding out that Garrison isn’t as straight as he thought, gladdens him. But it confuses and scares Garrison. It will b ...more
Carra
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was just what I needed right now. A mix of second chance romance, jock/nerd, and coming out story, Improper Fraction lets you root for the nerdy guy while also getting the satisfaction of a second chance story…oh, and to top it off? Friends to lovers. I just love when several of my favorite tropes all come together like this, especially when the story is as fulfilling as this one.

I try not to pick favorites with the characters from a couple, but O’Malley was a clear standout for me in
Joyfully Jay
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: veronica
A Joyfully Jay review.

This New Adult romance didn’t really grab me. The prose was stilted and hampered by mechanical issues, like missing words, commas, and other punctuation. I also found it to be repetitive, and generally predictable, with odd logic. Like, why would a top baseball prospect go to a college in the northwest? There’s no good baseball out there. There are literally tons of schools in the south that would have been better choices. And, why in the heck did he avoid coming
Kathe
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars -A story full of a range of emotions. That one night, before college changes everything for two childhood friends. O'Malley is an openly gay, mathematics nerd who has had a crush on his childhood friend and neighbor since forever. Garrison, the star athlete appears to be perfectly straight, chasing all the girls. The night before the two are to leave for their respective colleges, Garrison reveals to O'Malley that he very well not be straight. Garrison makes a promise to O'Malley to sp ...more
Patti Correa
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What and amazing story of second chance relationship. I cannot say love because they were not really in love to begin with. But the best of friends since they were little kids. Mal and Garrison grew up next door to each other and were the best of buds. Their families were very close as well, so close that they spent almost every night having dinner together.

One drunken kiss in the tree house and lots of promises to come home from college on holidays turns into nothing but a broken heart. Mal st
Elle
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a story of mixed emotions, it made me smile, it pi**ed me off, I enjoyed one of the characters, and, for a part of the story, could've smacked another. As one would expect, from this author, the story was very well written and flowed well.

In my opinion the story can be split into 3 parts:

1. young love and disappointment

2. a possible second chance

3. rediscovering affection and the aftermath.

The two MCs, Garrison and O'Malley were written as very real, warts and all. I don't want to give
Terri
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book tells the story of O'Malley and Garrison, and their experience moving from best friends to lovers. Mal has been in love with his best friend since they were children, and Garrison has tried not to feel more than friendship for Mal. Garrison is a baseball player, and his career would be impacted if he came out as gay, and he isn't sure how his parents would feel knowing that a wife isn't in his future.
The book is presented from O'Malley's point of view, and he is really amusing at times
Heather Martin
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Signal Boost Promotions for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*

Improper Fraction is going to be loved by those readers who can't get enough of the friends to lovers and second chances trope. O'Malley and Garrison were best friends growing up and first loves, but Garrison refused to come out of the closet and broke promises to Mal. Four years later he's ready to make it up but when Mal refuses to be around hi
Cheri
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book, but I just couldn't. I never really felt a connection to any of the characters. The story itself was mostly good, but there are a few things that I just didn't like.
(view spoiler)
Angie
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book about the power of love. O'Malley has loved Garrison since they were kids. They have been best friends forever but the night of their graduation from High School changes everything. When they meet again four years later, Mal wants nothing to do with Garrison. But as he lets go of his hatred and opens his heart, he finds that Garrison has become the man who can make his dreams come true if Mal can learn to trust something besides numbers.
V.L. Locey loves worn jeans, Dr. Who, Torchwood, belly laughs, yoga, reading and writing lusty tales, walking, Greek mythology, the New York Rangers, comic books, and coffee. (Not necessarily in that order.)

She shares her life with her husband, her daughter, one dog, two cats, two Jersey steers, and a flock of assorted domestic fowl.

When not writing lusty tales, she can be found enjoying her day
More about V.L. Locey...