Jump to ratings and reviews

Improper Fraction

O’Malley Ramsey, math aficionado, grew up next door to Garrison Rook, All-American athlete. While O’Malley dreamed of numbers and kissing Garrison, Garrison’s tastes ran to home runs and hot chicks.

During a family celebration the night before both young men were heading off for college, O’Malley joyously discovers that Garrison isn’t quite as straight as the star athlete had been pretending to be. Vows to return to each other quickly followed a few clumsy kisses in the old treehouse in the Rook’s backyard.

O’Malley came home to Garrison. Garrison never returned to O’Malley.

Four years later, the two ex-friends meet up at a summer camp where O’Malley is serving as a counselor. Garrison is desperate to make things right with his childhood friend, but can O’Malley, still nursing the pain and mistrust of Garrison’s betrayal, ever forgive or love Garrison again?

148 pages, ebook

First published October 18, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

V.L. Locey

161 books619 followers
V.L. Locey loves worn jeans, Dr. Who, Torchwood, belly laughs, yoga, reading and writing lusty tales, walking, Greek mythology, the New York Rangers, comic books, and coffee. (Not necessarily in that order.)

She shares her life with her husband, her daughter, one dog, two cats, and a flock of assorted domestic fowl.

When not writing lusty tales, she can be found enjoying her day with her menagerie in the rolling hills of Pennsylvania, fresh cup of java in hand.

Sign up for my newsletter here: http://vllocey.com/Newsletter

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
5 (4%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 34 reviews
Profile Image for Cadiva.
3,226 reviews290 followers
October 18, 2017
I really liked this little quirky not quite a straight up sports romance with its little mathematical twist.

I know nothing about math, so some of the references went a little over my head (okay disclaimer I failed my maths O Level so badly I ended up with a CSE Grade 4 - that's like a drop of about five levels into failure!) but it didn't affect my enjoyment.

There's friends to lovers, there's a falling out, there's second chances, there's a bit of enemies to lovers there's a lot of humour and a fairly realistic examination of the conflicts both internal and external that LGBTQ+ people go through when living with their sexuality.

O'Malley (yes I was thinking of the cartoon cat too every time I saw it written) and Garrison (of troops, yes that was in my head as well) were a perfect pair though, humorous names aside.

I loved how Mal was brave enough to let Garrison back in again and I adored how sure the baseball guy was that he absolutely was in love with his childhood best friend.

This is a new adult book but written with a believable start to a HEA that I truly could see lasting a lifetime.

#ARC received from the author in return for an honest and unbiased review.
Profile Image for Karen.
1,859 reviews84 followers
October 27, 2017
3.5 stars rounded down because still no 1/2 stars here on GR.

Sometimes it takes more than 1 + 1 to make 2...

O’Malley is a math geek and Garrison’s a jock. They’re neighbors and have grown up living next door to each other. O’Malley’s gay, Garrison’s straight…sorta’, kinda’…almost? Except he’s not. Turns out Garrison’s bi or he thinks he might be gay…he’s not sure. This was honestly one of the best parts of this story. There was no ‘oh you’re bi, you can’t commit, I don’t date bi men’…nope, no bi-shaming here. In fact, this was where I really came to like O’Malley because he was supportive of the fact that it was Garrison’s decision whether he was gay or bi. For me, O’Malley totally rocked this one.

O’Malley knows that his dreams of him and Garrison as a couple are just that…dreams. So, when Garrison kisses him during a family celebration the night before they’re heading off to college. But it’s not the kisses that break O’Malley’s heart it’s the promises to stay in touch, to come back to O’Malley…the promise that there will be a them and as the weeks and months slip by and Garrison not only doesn’t stay in touch but it in fact starts to feel like he’s avoiding O’Malley that leaves O’Malley hurt, angry and heartbroken.

Four years pass before the former friends find themselves within proximity of each other again.

‘Improper Fraction’ is about coming of age, second chances, coming out, seeking forgiveness, forgiving, falling in love, falling out of love and back in love and ultimately, it’s about finding out that home’s not a place it’s a person…the person who completes you and makes you want to be more, better than who and what you are.

The first part of this story gives us a lot of background around O’Malley and Garrison and their family and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The friendship that O’Malley, Garrison and their families shared was sweet and heartwarming. O’Malley lost his mom at a fairly early age and Garrison’s family just absorbed O’Malley and his father into their family. These two families were close and I really loved the friendship and supportive relationship that they all enjoyed.

Unfortunately, it was the middle part of this story that I struggled with for me it dragged a bit at times, but it was also the part of the story where we get to see O’Malley and Garrison begin to find their way back together. First as friends and then slowly as lovers. It was also during this part of the story that we get to see a more of Garrison’s sister, Emily. I very much enjoyed this character…almost as much as O’Malley. I must admit I struggled a bit with the character of Garrison. Mostly because I was disappointed with his behavior at first, but it was actually the ending of this story that made me step back and take a second look at Garrison’s actions from the earlier part of this story and realize that ‘sure I was disappointed in Garrison’s behavior but he was young and hurting O’Malley was never his intent. Garrison needed to come to terms with things about himself before he would really be able to enter into a relationship with anyone much less the man he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.

There was a secondary plot in this story and at times it may have seemed random and unnecessary but honestly, I was good with it felt like what it was one of those random events that happen in our lives without rhyme or reason as to why. I liked that while this event played out for the most part in the background it also had a definite impact on the ending and overall for me it worked.

While ‘Improper Fraction’ was not my first experience with this author as she is one of the authors of ‘The Harrisburg Railers’ series that I have also been enjoying. This was my first experience with V. L. Locey as a solo author, but it definitely won’t be my last, this author can definitely hold her own and I now have a backlist of books to get caught up on.

*************************

A copy of ‘Imperfect Fractions’ was graciously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Lelyana's Reviews.
3,237 reviews382 followers
October 19, 2017
Honestly, I'm tired of 'homophobia' conflict. Homophobia is kinda okay if not too much. But this is 2017, even in my homophobic country, people don't do that again. But okay, scratch that, I'm glad the main story focused on O'Malley and Garrison. Being friends since they're kids, didn't make it easy to put it a word that they're actually have the same feeling. But Garrison is a jock, he has a bright future as a professional athlete. That's what happens to you when you make assumption for everything, busy with 'what ifs', and they wasted ten years of love because of...nothing?
And then ten years later, when O'Malley is having 'almost' affair with Alex, Garrison came, and he's just, okay, I forgive you. No wonder Alex pissed off.
I liked the first half of the book, especially the prologue, it was a good prologue, gripping, even. But then it's slowly went downhill. I really wanted to like this one, but I cannot really liked it. It was an okay read for me. Not memorable, but if you into friends to lovers story, this is worth a try.
Profile Image for Jay.
240 reviews43 followers
October 16, 2017
3 stars – Solely based on the fact that one of the main characters is a math nerd (I'm a math nerd) who is in love with his jock-next-door best friend (sadly, this was not the case for me), I went into Improper Fraction with high hopes. Unfortunately, while the story is fine, there was just too much about it that left me disappointed. Another case of "I liked it, but I didn't love it."

Longer review to come.

The author and/or publisher generously provided me a complimentary copy of Improper Fraction in exchange for this fair and honest review.

Follow Me: Reviews by Tammy & Kim | Facebook | Twitter
Profile Image for R.J..
Author 255 books2,541 followers
October 13, 2017
I may be slightly biased because I write with VL, but this book just ticks my friends-to-enemies-to-lovers boxes so well... And there is a summer camp, and angst, and family, and love, and hot sex... Yep, all my boxes :)
Profile Image for Erica Chilson.
Author 34 books428 followers
October 7, 2017
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Warm & Fuzzy Stars

O'Malley and Garrison have been best friends and next-door neighbors since the first grade. O'Malley is out and proud, and has been harboring secret feelings for Garrison- not puppy love or a crush, true love type emotions.

The prologue set the book up perfectly, taking a friends-to-could-be-lovers into a tension-filled confrontation. The summer camp portion of the story was my favorite of the entire novel.

To me, the book read as three parts: The prologue, where the foundation between the best friends was erected. At the summer camp, where all the yummy sexual tension occurred. The beginning of their HEA, where it was a waiting game for O'Malley to give in and Garrison to come out.

O'Malley is a supportive, understanding, and patient narrator, as he takes the reader on a journey as Garrison's passenger. Garrison is struggling to come to terms with his sexuality, unsure how his family will take the news, and whether or not being gay would tarnish his budding baseball career.

The bulk of the story either leaves the reader with the warm & fuzzies or in need of a cold shower. O'Malley & Garrison heat up the pages as we wait for one of them to make a decision. If you're looking for a book that doesn't add a ton of stress, is easy to read, and you know the couple is going to end up where you envision, then this is the perfect afternoon escape.

My only critique is the conflict. Homophobia is a valid conflict, but it almost seemed illogical without some sort of backstory. The villain of the tale needed an anchor to the storyline, as it felt as if it was just tossed in there as a plot device that took the responsibility of when/how to come out of the closet out of Garrison's hands. Garrison's personal conflicts resolved with such ease and no fallout, they were almost non-conflicts, which was great if you're looking for a stress-free romance on that front.

Improper Fraction is perfect for readers looking for a friends-to-lovers, sports-related, second-chance romance, warm and fuzzy read that has the reader rooting for our heroes' HEA.

Profile Image for Emily Seelye.
726 reviews25 followers
October 18, 2017
Would have liked this more if Garrison was a hockey player, not a baseball player. I have nothing against baseball, but as far as the story goes, it didn't work for me.

Both men have just graduated university, Mal, the narrator, is looking for a teaching job, but Garrison goes straight to the minor leagues playing for the Carolina Cutters. Somehow he's able to delay his start date so he can volunteer at the math & science camp his sister is attending and that Mal is the head counselor. The timeline doesn't work for me either, since baseball camps start in Feb/March and he doesn't join the team until August.

As for the romance, it was sweet. Mal has been in love with Garrison forever, so he is willing to be patient, though perhaps he forgives too easily. Though it does take time for Garrison to regain his trust. I like that Garrison was willing to bottom, and was enthusiastic and all in when it came to sex. I like that they are committed to each other, and that even though He's not out, Garrison wants to live with Mal.

It does end with a nice, sweet HEA

*copy provided by author
Profile Image for BevS.
2,689 reviews2 followers
November 3, 2017
3.5 stars rounded up. Friends to enemies to lovers story, with a second chance element, a closeted sports star, a homophobic attack and a HEA. Wasn't sure about the writing some of the time, seemed a little clunky, but happy for the strangely named O'Malley Ramsey and Garrison Rook.
Profile Image for Sarah.
1,457 reviews29 followers
October 22, 2017
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

The very start of this story - a graduation goodbye between childhood best friends in a treehouse - is a wonderful scene. I’m not sure the rest of the story ever quite recaptures the magic of that moment but readers definitely understand why O’Malley struggles to move on from his teenage crush.

O’Malley is a great character. I enjoyed his enthusiasm for maths and his passion for teaching kids. He’s at his best when he’s working at a summer maths camp for girls. It’s probably completely realistic but I hated that all of his common sense (and some of his self respect) seems to disappear when Garrison comes back into his life.

Garrison infuriated me at times. While slight, effeminate O’Malley is comfortable with his sexuality and manages to deal with pretty awful homophobia, the big, strong athlete is terrified of his sexuality and seems happy to hurt O’Malley as he attempts to keep his secret. I’m not sure he ever properly apologises and while he does grow up, it felt like too little too late to me.

I loved the scene where O’Malley and Garrison are teenagers. I enjoyed their time together at camp - but I really struggled with the ending. It lacks structure and purpose. Maybe that’s the point. O’Malley flounders just like so many Millennial graduates as he attempts to find a job and make important decisions for his future. So it’s probably realistic but it is also pretty boring. My least favourite m/m trope is employed at the end - hate crime/hospital visit makes everyone reevaluate their priorities - but the frantic angst in these scenes feel jarring and out of place in an otherwise gentle story.

There are some great moments in this book but there are also too many slow and inconsistent moments and I wish that the end could be as moving as the start.
Profile Image for JenMcJ.
2,084 reviews314 followers
October 18, 2017
Well, I knew better. I know better. I do. I don't like second chance romances. One of the MC's is always a tool that gets forgiven and I never get it. I gave this one a chance because I like sports stories.

However, as predicted, this second chance story is no different from the vast majority. One MC is a giant cowardly tool, the other is waaaaaay too good for him but forgives him in a heartbeat because of long lost love? good old days? teenage crush? family friendship? I have no idea?. The writing is good but I really just don't have any idea why Mal let all of that utterly dispicable, very deliberate and conscious betrayal go and re-embraced Garrison.

I just don't get it. I don't think I'll ever get it.
Profile Image for Annie.
1,664 reviews24 followers
October 16, 2017
This one wavered between 3-3.5 stars for me

I’ve previously enjoyed some books this author co-wrote, so I figured it was past time to read a book she wrote alone. Improper Fraction began with a prologue that checked all my boxes and I settled in for what I presumed would be a fantastic read. For me this book didn’t live up to my expectations.

I liked both main characters and was excited for the best friends to lover and nerd/athlete trope combination. I was also immediately drawn to the humor included in O’Malley’s point of view. However, Improper Faction ended up employing a couple of my least favorite storylines and I was less enthused about the plot for a good part of the book. After such an intriguing prologue and surprising first chapter, I was wondering where Improper Fraction would go and what would bring Garrison and O’Malley together again. However, the reconciliation felt way too easy, using the “I shouldn’t but I can’t resist” storyline and it simply turned me off. Sadly, I thought it made O’Malley look a little weak. I will say that while I didn’t love the way this couple suddenly came together, I did like them once they were together and I liked seeing O’Malley’s conflicting emotions of wanting to be supportive of a closeted Garrison while not wanting to hide their love. I think the way things moved forward with the relationship worked well once they decided to try and I enjoyed much of the romance between these two. My other issue was the oft-used homophobic bully in a small town. It’s no secret that bigotry and hate is alive and well, but whenever a book follows a predictable storyline, I’m less enthused. So yeah, I wasn’t crazy about how this minor plotline played out, BUT I did like how it ended up pulling the couple together in the end and made the “coming out” aspect of the storyline more believable.

Improper Fraction ended up being a bit of a mixed bag for me. Although I wasn’t crazy about some storylines, I did like the characters and how well they understood one another. I also really liked the humor interwoven into O’Malley’s narrative. It made him incredibly personable. The pacing was up and down for me, but I think that was primarily due to the storylines losing my favor a bit in the middle. All that said, I truly enjoyed this author’s writing tone/style. It had a light-hearted element to it that made it an easy, enjoyable read, without glazing over emotions. I’ll definitely read more from this author going forward.

Reviewed by Annie from Alpha Book Club
description description
Profile Image for Anu.
364 reviews6 followers
October 18, 2017
Math nerd! Baseball star! First time, new adult and childhood friends to lovers! This book has it all and I enjoyed it very very much.

So we have O'Malley ('Mal') and Garrison, peas in a pod since childhood and best friends - until the night before they head to college and they become...more, only to have Garrison leave Mal behind for four years.
The boys meet up at a math camp where Mal is a counselor and Garrison turns up as a volunteer. It doesn't take long for the old spark to return but Mal is still gunshy after Garrison's betrayal and makes Garrison work hard to win him back (which he does of course).

The story is entirely on Mal's POV, he is a whole lot of fun as a narrator. He's very unreliable, his views are heavily biased and coloured by his experiences and prejudices but also, refreshingly honest. He tends to ramble on and everything is a math problem to solve and it just made for a very entertaining reading. I didn't really get a handle on Garrison (that's why this is not a 5* review), I felt he was a little too one-dimensional as the counterpart to Mal. Garrison's worries about being out were realistic if a tad dramatic, but I was happy for the conclusion.

Sad lack of any sports-related action, despite Garrison's status as a baseball star - unlike Ms Lockey's hockey books which concentrate much more around the sport, here it felt like Garrison could have played any sport for how little it made a difference for the story.

But still, very enjoyable :)
Profile Image for Ruthie Taylor.
3,500 reviews37 followers
October 20, 2017
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is a romance that has been in the making since O'Malley first realised he was gay and that loved his best friend more than anyone in the world. Unrequited except for one moment of madness, he has been harbouring a great deal of resentment and heartbreak ever since. I liked however, that he had still done plenty of experimenting at college, and whilst a maths nerd, he also cared about his looks and health.

Garrison is trying to make it big in baseball - so even if he feels just the same way as O'Malley, he cannot reveal his true self, and has had a string of hookups with women ever since he left for college. Now his little sister is trying to pull the two of them back together and a summer at her Maths camp, where O'Malley is a leader, is one way of trying to right so many wrongs.

I enjoyed the summer fling approach between two people who had known each other really well, and yet had to learn about intimacy, and consider what being secretive would mean to them in the future. Given how much we are told of Garrison's family, his concerns seemed unfounded, but not unexpected. O'Malley's Dad is a fabulous character - although we discover how his actions unintentionally cause a much greater harm.

There is some drama, but generally it is underplayed, and this is a warm and cuddly book, with some really fun and quirky cameos - such as the Camp host!

Wicked Reads Review Team
960 reviews8 followers
October 20, 2017
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

After a prologue that sets up O'Malley and Garrison's back story, we join O'Malley at a summer camp where he is a counsellor. After having no contact with O'Malley for 4 years, Garrison shows up at the camp also to work as a counsellor, throwing O'Malley for a loop.

As a youngest in the 80s I loved watching movies like Meatballs and Poison Ivy so I was thrilled to be reading a book set at a summer camp and I was happily reading and enjoying the book and watching these two childhood best friends try to work out their issues. But alas, time at camp didn't last forever and about a third of the way through camp ends and our heroes go back to their lives.

The story lost me a bit through the middle because it felt a bit predictable and like I was just waiting for the obvious events to happen. And the obvious did happen but it was right towards the end and it felt rushed but I was pulled back into story and happy to see O'Malley get his happy ending. Improper Faction is an enjoyable stand alone novel.

Wicked Reads Review Team

Profile Image for Cathy Brockman.
Author 5 books88 followers
October 12, 2017
O'Malley and Garrison were friends since first grade. O'Malley came out in High school but Garrison is straight or at least O'Malley thought until the night before they were both leaving for college. A confession from Garrison along with hot kisses gropes and a promise to talk every day and be back at Christmas leads to lies and distrust.
Four years later at summer camp, they cross paths again Garrison wanting O'Malley to listen to him and another chance to make things right. Will O'Malley get over his hurt and give Garrison that chance?
This is a great story about love, things teenagers say, things happening and second chances. The characters are well developed. I love the love-hate thing between Garrison and O'Malley. I especially loved both O'Malley's dad and the Rooks too. There is a bit of drama and I nearly cried close to the end.
If you like friends to enemies to lovers, second chances, hot baseball players, sexy mathematicians and some hot man-love you will love this book!
Profile Image for LeeAnn.
611 reviews
August 29, 2017
I laughed out loud , I cried, fanned myself several times , I high- fived an amazing character and I wanted to slam someones face in , all while reading this story.
There is young love, disappointment and pain, renewed affection and learning to trust again.
Garrison and O'Malley are such wonderful characters, flaws and all. Their families are the most amazing ever!
I will not give away more of this except this MUST be said...I fell hard and fast for both of these men, cheered them on, rooted for them to figure things out and sighed over some really amazing scenes between these two that was very realistic in how they approached things and the , shall we say, aftermath ?
I highly recommend this story!
I won an Advanced Readers Copy and am more than happy to leave my honest opinion.
Profile Image for Joyfully Jay.
7,294 reviews412 followers
November 8, 2017
A Joyfully Jay review.

This New Adult romance didn’t really grab me. The prose was stilted and hampered by mechanical issues, like missing words, commas, and other punctuation. I also found it to be repetitive, and generally predictable, with odd logic. Like, why would a top baseball prospect go to a college in the northwest? There’s no good baseball out there. There are literally tons of schools in the south that would have been better choices. And, why in the heck did he avoid coming home for Christmas for four years? As close as the family was written to be, that made zero sense. The hometown homophobia and hate crime issue felt overblown and excessive. Trigger warning: violence ensues. I also couldn’t understand why Garrison was allowed more than a month of hanging out a math camp in the heart of the baseball season.

The logical inconsistencies aside, O’Malley as a math whiz really didn’t come across to me. That he didn’t get any interviews for work seemed bizarre, as well. Garrison is a weak character, and I found myself not liking him very much, as a result. He has no intentions of coming out, even when Emily already accepts his big secret, and he has every reason to believe his parents will support him. All these added up to conveniences for plot-sake and it made for a lackluster read.

Read Veronica’s review in its entirety here.
Profile Image for Ash.
448 reviews20 followers
October 24, 2017
V.L. Locey is a new author for me so I picked this up not knowing what to expect. There were so many things about this book that are generally a huge YES for me that I jumped on the opportunity to review. We've got childhood friends who lose touch after admitting their feelings for each other, and friends-to-lovers and second chances are my catnip.

This story takes place in South Carolina (my home state! We're so underrepresented in books it's not even funny) and I both loved it and learned why people hate reading books set in their hometowns, ha. Part of this book takes place in Columbia, my stomping grounds, and I was so distracted with reality ("Seriously, no one would walk from downtown to the baseball stadium. It's only 8-10 blocks but those are not pedestrian-friendly intersections," and "That's not what our school districts are called," etc.) that I kept pulling out of the story and wanting to take a red pen to it correct the logistics. I'm still excited to be able to scratch "read a book set in your hometown" of my reading goals list, though.

As much as I wanted to love this story, the characters didn't really do it for me here. O'Malley was almost a caricature of a nerdy southern boy and it drove me nuts a good bit of the time. Garrison's storyline wasn't poor per se, but I am so ridiculously over the whole "pro athlete (or in this case, minor league athlete) doesn't want to be the first out player in the league yadda yadda" conflict. It's overplayed in M/M. And it isn't even a necessary part of Mal and Garrison's story; the fact that Garrison is a minor league baseball player brought literally nothing to the table. The conflict there was minor compared to his internal and familial conflict. A good portion of the rest of the book was awkward and unnecessary. (I'd love to get back the pages we spent watching O'Malley treat Alex like complete shit.) (Oh, and don't get me started on the smashed ice cream cone as foreplay - that sounded like a bitch to clean up.)

The win here was the humor - O'Malley may have been a caricature, but he was a pretty funny narrator. Some of the stuff he said may have had me scrunching up my face from the awkwardness ("I [folded] my arms over my chest so my hands wouldn't be dangling down like fleshy bananas." What??), but it was all pretty entertaining. His math puns and over-the-top southernness were in equal parts charming and funny and groan-inducing. Another win was O'Malley's dad. Like son, like father; he also had his awkward moments, but he was a sweet guy and great sympathetic character.

There's quite a bit of over-the-topness here on all sides of the spectrum, actually, from the humor to the stereotypes to the homophobia (oh boy is there some OTT homophobia). Warning for hate violence, btw. It's not a huge portion of the book but it's there, and it's pretty brutal - as much as befits this author's storytelling, at least. This story is like a cookie but with too much sugar, not enough baking soda, and a little sourness from some lemon pith. (Sorry, y'all, I have a cookie craving tonight.) All in all, this isn't a favorite, but I did enjoy some of the awkward humor and the SC representation.

An advance copy of this book was received for review on OMGReads.
Profile Image for VVivacious.
835 reviews36 followers
November 4, 2017
A ScatteredThoughtsandRogueWords Review. This review can also be found here.

4.5 Stars out of 5

O’Malley Ramsey and Garrison Rook have been inseparable from a really young age. Mal has been in love with his best friend ever since he learnt what love was but the day they both head off for college sees Mal’s wildest dreams come true as Garrison might not be as straight as he wants to appear. They both make fervent promises to come back to each other but while Mal keeps his end of the promise Garrison breaks his.

When Mal and Garrison come face to face four years later, will Garrison be able to convince Mal to forgive him and will Mal be willing to let go of the hurt and embrace a chance at love?

This book was amazing. God! I am really loving this author when I picked up this book I hadn’t read anything by this author but when I finally got around to reading this book I had read two shorts by this very author and I really liked both of those. And this kind of turned out to be the cherry on the top, because it was so good. Ah! Just so amazing!

First off, right of the bat, I have got to say how much I loved all the characters, I mean not only Garrison and Mal but Mrs Rook like completely stole my heart. Not only for all the humour she added to situations but she felt like such a parent getting Garrison in embarrassing situations it was so cute. In fact, I liked the entire Rook and Ramsey family, they were all like such well- developed characters and I liked them all so much.

Mal is a math aficionado and just that fact makes my heart flutter. I am so math crazy that it was amazing to read about someone even crazier than me about math, I just can’t get that scene were Garrison is telling Mal to stop doing percentages inside his head out of my head, it was just so ingenious like Mal would totally be the kind of guy to refute everything with mathematical exaction.

I had a little more problem liking Garrison because his excuses for not keeping his promise kind of don’t sit well with me. But once I got over that, I really liked him too. I especially loved Garrison and Mal together because whenever they were together it felt like they belonged there. This especially helped a lot in the beginning of the book when the characters weren’t as established and I was still trying to wrap my head around Garrison, because the kind of chemistry Garrison and Mal shared from the very beginning was priceless. They totally had the Oh My God these kisses are combustible kind of chemistry. It was easy to see how much they belonged together especially when I had my doubts about if they should but once all the doubts cleared up these two were just such a rock-solid couple.

This story doesn’t only focus on the romance and it has a plotline that isn’t based on the romance but no matter how I didn’t like that aspect of the plot, I think I liked how it was used to make a point and further the plot and be that additional push to get things in the right place.

Overall, this story was amazing like hot chocolate. It was just what I needed and it made me feel so good. Loved it, loved it and definitely recommend it.

Cover Art. I liked the cover.
Profile Image for ButtonsMom2003.
2,662 reviews13 followers
October 20, 2017
Such a good friends-to-enemies-to-lovers story.

Wow, Improper Fraction really hit me with all the feels. It's been a little while since I've read a story with this trope – childhood best friends, one gay, one not-so-straight and they have a falling out.

When O'Malley discovers that his best friend and secret crush, Garrison, isn't as straight as he always thought, the two make a promise to each other. Unfortunately, Garrison doesn't hold up his end of the deal and O'Malley is devastated. But life goes on and Mal finally accepts that he and Garrison are no longer even friends and moves on to other guys – lots of other guys. When he and Garrison meet up four years later things really get interesting.

Have you ever read just the beginning of a book and knew that you were going to love it? That's how it was for me with Improper Fraction. The story has a nice long Prologue and after reading it I just knew the rest of the story was going to hit me hard – in a good but heart-wrenching then happy way.

The blurb/synopsis really tells you everything you need to know. I actually felt that I would love this story just from reading the blurb, but I've felt that way with other books and then been very disappointed. Not so with Improper Fraction; in my opinion the blurb is spot-on and the book delivers everything I expected after reading it.

I wish I didn't believe that parts of this book depict how life really is for gay men but, unfortunately, I'm sure that it does. Rest assured that the story has a happy ending and the epilogue was just what I needed. I read way too many books to remember details about all of them but this one will stay with me a bit longer than others.

I almost forgot to mention that the story is told in first-person POV, by O'Malley. The only thing that could have made this book any better would have been to get Garrison's POV in at least a few places. In the end that didn't matter to me because I really loved the story.

An advanced copy of this book was provided to me but my review was voluntary and not influenced by the author.

***Reviewed for Xtreme-Delusions dot com***
Profile Image for Laurie.
172 reviews25 followers
October 20, 2017
Sweet, at times bittersweet and humorous story of best friends, who lose each other along the way. O’Malley has been in lust and love with his best friend Garrison since forever. Even when Garrison was off chasing girls. But one night, the night before they go off to college, leads to things between the friends that changes everything. O’Malley has known he was gay for a while. Finding out that Garrison isn’t as straight as he thought, gladdens him. But it confuses and scares Garrison. It will be four years before he sees Garrison again. Fours years to build up resentment and anger.

The contrast between O’Malley (Mal) and Garrison are many. Mal is a math nerd and completely non-athletic. Everything in life can be put into the form of a math problem. Everything except why Garrison left for college and baseball, then never came back. Garrison is the popular all-star athlete, with a full scholarship to play baseball.

For the past four years Garrison has been conflicted, confused and flat out scared of labeling himself as anything but straight. No one on his baseball team is out yet. And he doesn’t think he wants to be the first. But he knows how badly he treated Mal. He wants Mal to forgive him. And he still loves Mal, does he want more, maybe? But what would that do to his world?

The journey taken between these two is full of emotions on both sides. There is pain and disappointment for Mal as he patiently waits for Garrison to come to grips with who he is. There’s the growing pains for Garrison as he figures things out, about his sexuality, his career and Mal.

The characters are wonderfully written and are well developed. The secondary characters, such Garrison’s little sister Emily, Mal’s Dad and the Professor at camp all add to this story. This is well written and a great read I recommend.

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Carra.
1,664 reviews25 followers
October 27, 2017
This book was just what I needed right now. A mix of second chance romance, jock/nerd, and coming out story, Improper Fraction lets you root for the nerdy guy while also getting the satisfaction of a second chance story…oh, and to top it off? Friends to lovers. I just love when several of my favorite tropes all come together like this, especially when the story is as fulfilling as this one.

I try not to pick favorites with the characters from a couple, but O’Malley was a clear standout for me in this story. He was sweet, yet practical, and of course his nerdy side was what I was attracted to from the start. I could sure identify with him and his mind’s habit of becoming preoccupied and wandering.

I was just as angry with Garrison as O’Malley was, though for me it was harder to let go of that anger than it seemed to be for O’Malley. I totally understand why Garrison did what he did, doesn’t mean I was happy about it. But in the end, I just really wanted to see the two of them get their happy ending so I wound up rooting for him anyway.

The story was paced just right, and time passed quickly while I was reading without my realizing it. That’s definitely a good thing because it means I was totally absorbed in the story. This book also had some good supporting characters, from O’Malley’s father and Garrison’s parents and sister (his sister Emily is funny, straightforward, and totally supportive of her big brother!), to the nasty childhood and present day bully and nemesis, Crocker.

Improper Fraction was a strong 4-star read for me, and I would definitely recommend it to any M/M romance fan…particularly if you’re a fan of the tropes I mentioned earlier—which were all pulled off together quite nicely without becoming stereotypical. This book is meant for readers 18+ for adult language and sexual content.
Profile Image for Kathe.
2 reviews4 followers
October 21, 2017
4.5 stars -A story full of a range of emotions. That one night, before college changes everything for two childhood friends. O'Malley is an openly gay, mathematics nerd who has had a crush on his childhood friend and neighbor since forever. Garrison, the star athlete appears to be perfectly straight, chasing all the girls. The night before the two are to leave for their respective colleges, Garrison reveals to O'Malley that he very well not be straight. Garrison makes a promise to O'Malley to speak everyday while they're at college. A promise he never keeps.
Fast forward four years. O'Malley is working as a counsellor at the summer camp when Garrison appears up out of the blue. Garrison has come hoping O'Malley will listen to, and forgive his reasons for not speaking to him for 4 years. The two work through their issues while O'Malley patiently supports Garrison as he deals with his struggle to come out as a gay man.
I like how the book also deals with some homophobia as well. Showing the sad, but true reality of the hate and violence gay mean must life with.
The characters are convincing, extremely well developed and wonderfully written. The secondary characters; The Rook family, OMalley's dad are strong and likeable. Story told in first-person POV by O'Malley
If you're looking for a book that gives you the range of emotions from wanting to cry, to having to fan yourself, to warm and fuzzy, this is it. A stress free, easy read with a happy every after. One of V.L. Locey's best books to date.
I was given an an arc to read in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Patti Correa.
1,221 reviews
November 16, 2017
What and amazing story of second chance relationship. I cannot say love because they were not really in love to begin with. But the best of friends since they were little kids. Mal and Garrison grew up next door to each other and were the best of buds. Their families were very close as well, so close that they spent almost every night having dinner together.

One drunken kiss in the tree house and lots of promises to come home from college on holidays turns into nothing but a broken heart. Mal stayed behind and Garrison never came back.

When a not so accidental meeting years later put them as camp counselors together, their chance for something or nothing is there. Thing is, Mal has moved on, Garrison has been with countless number of girls while being the great jock at school. How could they ever make it work?

This story is amazing, the trials and tribulations of growing up gay and growing up not wanting to come out but being in love with your best friend. What society does to people is just wrong. A must read for everyone. All the warm and fuzzies in one cover!
Profile Image for Suze.
3,434 reviews
August 20, 2018
3.5*
Read quickly and easily. Story largely kept me hooked.
Garrison and O’Malley (what I wouldn’t give for stories with John and Dave in!) are childhood friends but you just know Garrison is not going to keep that promise made in the treehouse.
O’Malley is still carrying the grudge 4 years later when they are set up to meet again - though the grudge quickly gets overturned.
Garrison is kind of conflicted but we don’t get any feel for this, just what he says.
The return to home for O’Malley coincides with Garrison going off to training so again we don’t see much of them together, though O’Malley’s quest for a job is not given the easy novel option, until it is needed.
I did think any slight angsty times were going to be how Garrison came out to family, friends, team but that kind of got sidelined by
Generally a positive, nice read.
Profile Image for Edga.
1,576 reviews15 followers
October 18, 2017
This was a story of mixed emotions, it made me smile, it pi**ed me off, I enjoyed one of the characters, and, for a part of the story, could've smacked another. As one would expect, from this author, the story was very well written and flowed well.

In my opinion the story can be split into 3 parts:

1. young love and disappointment

2. a possible second chance

3. rediscovering affection and the aftermath.

The two MCs, Garrison and O'Malley were written as very real, warts and all. I don't want to give away too much of this friends to lovers, second chance story; I'll just say, it took me a little while, but I did eventually find myself rooting for them both. The secondary characters were also well written. I especially enjoyed O'Malley's Dad. It's definitely worth a read, and I highly recommend it.
Profile Image for Terri.
1,314 reviews
October 19, 2017
This book tells the story of O'Malley and Garrison, and their experience moving from best friends to lovers. Mal has been in love with his best friend since they were children, and Garrison has tried not to feel more than friendship for Mal. Garrison is a baseball player, and his career would be impacted if he came out as gay, and he isn't sure how his parents would feel knowing that a wife isn't in his future.
The book is presented from O'Malley's point of view, and he is really amusing at times. I love the way his mathematician brain works. I love the side characters of parents, sister, and camp owner. The bad guy is a truly dangerous jerk. The story is terrific, and the sex is hot.
I was provided with an ARC in return for an honest review.
Profile Image for Heather Martin.
1,448 reviews10 followers
October 27, 2017
*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Signal Boost Promotions for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*

Improper Fraction is going to be loved by those readers who can't get enough of the friends to lovers and second chances trope. O'Malley and Garrison were best friends growing up and first loves, but Garrison refused to come out of the closet and broke promises to Mal. Four years later he's ready to make it up but when Mal refuses to be around him, he ends up taking a job at the camp Mal works at to give them a chance to talk. Mal's heart has been broken and though his words say he's over Garrison, his actions don't.

I'm not a fan of reading books about teens/young people but I really enjoy the author and decided to give it a chance. This story is definitely about 20-year-old men/boys. O'Malley has graduated college and is trying to find a job as a teacher. He's working as head counselor at a camp he's volunteered through college. Garrison is playing baseball but decided to go with his little sister to summer camp to volunteer. Both men are beginning their lives as adults, kind of. They're in between.

One item I had difficulty with was Garrison volunteering at a summer camp. Summer is prime baseball time so it made no sense to me that he was playing, or at camp. And this discrepancy really interfered with my reading and staying engaged in the story. I found myself researching what time frame baseball season is in both the US and Canada. And they're during the summer. So, if O'Malley was on a minor league baseball team, even in Canada, he would be playing baseball or be in camp, or any of those other baseball things they have going on. Maybe I misunderstood the time of year they were at camp, but I don't think I did.

The characters in this story are really likable, and you can easily see the history between O'Malley and Garrison and their families. I loved the relationship O'Malley and his dad have, his dad is a terrific character. I loved the Professor who ran the camp. She was funny, quirky and very unexpected. Garrison's little sister showed more maturity than either O'Malley or Garrison and that was a nice change of pace as females are not always such great characters in MM books.

I would classify this story as a strong HFN, but it definitely does make you believe that Garrison and O'Malley will find their HEA.

Rating: 4 stars
Profile Image for Cheri.
92 reviews1 follower
October 13, 2017
I wanted to love this book, but I just couldn't. I never really felt a connection to any of the characters. The story itself was mostly good, but there are a few things that I just didn't like.
Profile Image for Angie.
418 reviews
October 18, 2017
This is a beautiful book about the power of love. O'Malley has loved Garrison since they were kids. They have been best friends forever but the night of their graduation from High School changes everything. When they meet again four years later, Mal wants nothing to do with Garrison. But as he lets go of his hatred and opens his heart, he finds that Garrison has become the man who can make his dreams come true if Mal can learn to trust something besides numbers.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 34 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.