Start by marking “What Do You Do With a Chance?” as Want to Read:
What Do You Do With a Chance?

What Do You Do With a Chance?

(What Do You Do With...)

The award–winning creators of The New York Times best sellers What Do You Do With an Idea? and What Do You Do With a Problem? return with a captivating story about a child who isn't sure what to make of a chance encounter and then discovers that when you have courage, take chances, and say yes to new experiences, amazing things can happen.

In this story, a child is visited
Published January 2018 by Compendium Inc

To ask other readers questions about What Do You Do With a Chance?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Do You Do With a Chance?

Danielle
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
"Maybe I don't have to be brave all the time. Maybe I just need to be brave for a little while at the right time."
Anna
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and inspiring -- a good books for both little readers and adults ; )
Chance Lee
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
I still don't know what to do with myself.
Beth
Another great story to add to the collection of "What do you do with" books that began with "What Do You Do with an Idea?" and "What Do You Do with a Problem?"
Shawn Deal
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Another wonderful book. A very positive story about a boy and what do you when a chance comes. This is a great series of books. Wonderfully illustrated.
Ruth
Feb 16, 2019 added it
These are great books
Heidi Burkhart
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written and illustrated picture book about taking chances in life! I would recommend this book to anyone, at any age.
T.E. Antonino
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible book. Pretty much anybody who has accomplished anything in life has had to take chances. This book follows a child who is afraid at first to take a chance, but in the end the child reaches out and takes a chance. I've never seen a book that speaks so loudly to adults from a child's perspective. A lot of times we don't take chances because we fear failure, but some of the times we succeed when we take chances. All of life is risky so take a chance and laugh in the face of fate. ...more
Claire Holloway
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a lovely story about a child who is given chances and the emotions they experience when getting a chance or if they go wrong, which made them reluctant to take a chance again. In the end, the child realised that chances are a good thing and the author encourages children to take chances as they may lead to something brilliant.
I will be sharing this story with my class in PSHE to show them that it is normal to feel nervous about taking chances but that they are exciting and that it
orangerful
I love this book series. I'm always giving it to parents for school visits. The idea of a chance as this flying, golden paper butterfly (though my Harry Potter brain thought it looked like a snitch) and trying to grab it and falling down. There's a lot to talk about here with kids as you read through the simple story.
Jessica Furtado
I fell in love with "What Do You Do with an Idea?" when it was first published, and became an instant fan of Yamada's work. His tales are gentle and inspirational without being too saccharine, and children and adults alike will feel more capable and motivated after reading the "What Do You Do" series of books.
Joshua Gross
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was fine. It has a good message, one I would have benefited from as a kid (ok and as an adult) but it's obvious that it's pushing an agenda. This seems to be the idea of this book series. I don't really like the colorless illustration style, either.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Yamada, Kobi What Do You Do With a Chance? Illustrated by Mae Besom PICTURE BOOK Compendium, 2017. $16.95. Content: G.

One day a little child sees a chance in the form of a golden paper origami. He doesn’t know what to do with the chance and lets it fly away. Later, another chance comes along and when he tries to catch it, he falls and is embarrassed. The child lets many chances pass him by before he begins to realize that he is living his life in fear. When another big chance comes along, the c
Kaethe Douglas
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I really liked the art
Patricia Gmitrovic
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emotions
When you have a chance, take it!
Kris
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This might be my favorite in the series. “Maybe I don’t have to be brave all the time. Maybe I just need to be brave for a little while at the right time. I realized it was up to me.”
Beth Honeycutt
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
How have I not seen these books? I think I will have to get the two others (Problem and Idea). The concept is so true and easily identifiable for everyone. The illustrations are gorgeous too:-)
Tera
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love how the illustrator uses color and shape to enhance this simple message. Mae Brown gives life to the words by shaping a concept, chance. Readers grasp the message.
Julie
A perfect choice to read when starting a new teaching unit that might require stretching skills.
Love, love, love this book - message, simple words and illustrations are all spot on!
Emily
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“I don’t know how to explain it, but the second I let go of my fears, I was full of excitement”

This is an empowering story about not letting fear hold you back and the possibilities that await you if you are brave enough to take a chance!
Nikki
I love these books, but this one came veered into what seemed like a random collection of Instagram captions, and while I think some adults might like that, I don't think kids will.
Robynne
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is the latest addition to Kobi Yamada's set of children's books that also includes What Do You Do With an Idea? and What Do You Do With a Problem?. It's a wonderful story about the importance of taking risks even when it's frightening. My favourite quote is, "Then I thought, 'Maybe i don't have to be brave all the time. Maybe I just need to be brave to a little while at the right time.'" A great message for adults too.
Nancy Kotkin
Beautiful picture book that encourages readers to be brave enough to grab onto chances when they are presented. I love the way the books in this series help to concretize abstract concepts, such as ideas, problems, and chances. This is another winner from this dynamic duo. The illustration style symbiotically complements the text and theme of this story.
Kathryn
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is such a playful way to explain taking a chance.
Deborah
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Be brave and grab your chances or they may not return.
Sheyla
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Don't be afraid and just take a chance!! yes!!
Nicole
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, a great story and lesson about taking chances, great illustrations.
Earl
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's always a special treat to read a book in this series. The team always manage to introduce an intangible idea and write a fascinating story around it. This is another example of a picture book that while kids can enjoy it, older readers may appreciate it more.
Kellee
Full review with teaching tools: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=1...

I hope each and every one my students leave my class with is that life is about trying and working hard and being creative and kindness and so much more than just passing tests, and Yamada’s series teaches all of these things in such a beautiful, fun, and inspiring way! The newest book in the series looks at the fear that comes with new things, and I think this is something that is so important to talk to kids about, doing
Jeremy
Read to Kate in Barnes & Noble. Very good, just like the others.

Later read to all the girls at home. A little preachy, but good illustrations and a good message. Also read it to Kate's first grade class.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Rufus Goes to School
  • Zen Socks
  • Once Upon a Memory
  • Sarabella's Thinking Cap
  • Read the Book, Lemmings!
  • Penguin Problems
  • I'm Sad (I'm Bored, #2)
  • I Am Human: A Book of Empathy
  • Old Hat
  • The Smallest Gift of Christmas
  • Some Monsters Are Different
  • Strictly No Elephants
  • Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
  • Giant Steps to Change the World

What Do You Do With... (3 books)
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • What Do You Do with a Problem?