Start by marking “Louis L'Amour's Lost Treasures: Volume 1: Unfinished Manuscripts, Mysterious Stories, and Lost Notes from One of the World's Most Popular Novelists” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The first of its kind, a unique volume of twenty-one unpublished gems from one of the twentieth century’s most popular and prolific writers

Using his father’s handwritten notes, journal entries, and correspondences, Beau L’Amour uncovers how and why many never-before-seen manuscripts were written—and speculates about the ways they might have ended.

These selections celebrat
Published October 24th 2017 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Louis L'Amour's Lost Treasures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louis L'Amour's Lost Treasures

Travis sivarT
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received this free from Goodreads. This was a very interesting read. I was skeptical at the start because nothing is a complete story. You'd be surprised but let your brain have the freedom and it will automatically finish the story for you.
Judy Lesley
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group, Ballantine Bantam for allowing me to read a digital galley of this book.

When Beau L'Amour became the executor of his fathers estate in 1988 there were literally tons of books, manuscripts, unfinished stories, outlines, notes and other random material to be gone through. Louis L'Amour made his name as an author of fictional stories of the American West. He wanted to write about so much more. In L'Amour's case he was held captive by the tim
Sophia
I think I've been in love with Louis L'Amour's storytelling for nearly forty years. It began the moment I swiped my dad's paperback when I ran out of my own books and was immediately engrossed in the historic western mystery I had in my hands.

I learn now that being immediately engrossed was no accident. In this fantastic revealing of the behind the scenes to the life and stories of a beloved writer, Louis' son, Beau reveals that L'Amour believed in the opening lines packing a punch even over the
Leona (readingwithleona)
*I received this book via the Publisher in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.*

When given details on Louis L’Amour’s Lost Treasures: Volume 1 by Louis L’Amour with Beau L’Amour I was both skeptical and excited about trying this completely new genre by this new to me author(s). But for the simple fact that I have always been fascinated and interested in Louis L’Amour’s writing – mostly because I’ve seen his books whenever I’m shop
Fredrick Danysh
L'Amour's son has put together a collection of previously unpublished short stories, unfinished manuscripts, and notes from Louis L'Amour. The work gives and insight into the thought processes of Louis in regards to his work. Also included are some family photographs. A good supplement to the reader's Louis L'Amour library.
Amy
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louis L'Armour's Lost Treasures: Volume 1 is a fascinating look at what could have been from a beloved author.
4 stars.
Daniel
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.0 of 5

I was trying to find a way to describe my relationship with the works of Louis L'Amour. At one point in my life I believe I owned a copy of everything L'Amour had published. But owning and reading are two very different things.

I have not read everything Louis L'Amour has written. In fact I've read very little, given his body work, but I I've liked everything I've read. It often comes down to the genre as much as anything
Paul ODell
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When my son was young, I would read to him nightly. We both enjoyed this ritual . . . I would read, scanning ahead for an exciting part and just as the climax appeared on the horizon, as the hero started to emerge, as the damsel began to fight back, I would look at my watch (my wrist really as i don't wear a watch) and say ... "WOW it's late ... Bed time!" and I would close the book. His response, invariably was an anguished cry of "NOOOOOooooo, DAAAAAAD You can't stop there!" But I would simply ...more
Traci Kenworth
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Talk…10/20/17
Traci Kenworth

Lost Treasures of Louis L’Amour Beau L’Amour. Netgalley. Oct. 2017.

Exploring the creative process of an American original, the Louis L’Amour’s Lost Treasures project will uncover the hidden history behind the author’s best known novels . . . and his most mysterious and ambitious unfinished works.

In this first collection, Beau L’Amour presents many never-before-seen manuscripts. Using his father’s handwritten notes, journal entries, and correspondence, along with h
Schuyler Wallace

It is a pleasure to find a detailed look at the inner workings of one of my favorite authors. Louis L’Amour (1908-1988) has had a tremendous impact on my life of books and writing. Although not a particularly influential or classic writer of the old school, or a noted grammarian, he is, to my mind, the embodiment of the butt-on-a-chair and grind-it-out disciplinarian, a practice all writers should subscribe to.

His career lasted nearly fifty years and produced “ninety-one novels and nearly four
Elissa
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Long have I loved Louis L'Amour's tales and thus looked forward to dipping into this treasury; it was different from but more than what I had expected. In the first place, these are all fragments, some more complete than others, and you must use your own imagination to create an ending for most, although there are hints dropped in some of his notes on how they might have been resolved. Interspersed with the tales are biographical details which expand the depths of story backgrounds while tossing ...more
Susan Underbrink
A big Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing for the ARC for my honest review. I give this a 4.5. I found this to be a unique, inciteful look into an author beloved by many. I adored his writing when I was a teenager and just exploring the written word. They were great books as they were well written and very interesting. I never even thought about how he got pigeon holed into one genre. Can you imagine what he could have done on a computer? His work was all typed. He was an amazing ...more
William
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I"m a long time reader of Louis L'Amour's books. In fact, I just finished a re-read of most of the "Sacketts" stories. I'm also a budding author. I found Louis L'Amour's Lost Treasures to be a fascinating read on many levels. Most exciting, for me, was simply being able to see even more of L'Amour's stories, albeit unfinished ones. This is not a drawback, it tends to excite the imagination. I also enjoyed how the story fragments, and the commentary of Beau L'Amour, opened somewhat the creative p ...more
Billie
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This lengthy book includes a collection of unfinished manuscripts, stories, handwritten notes and journal entries. It explains the how and why of L'Amour's writing. These are compiled by his son, Beau L'Amour. The collection is a treasure and those who are dedicated fans of L'Amour's books will enjoy this book. I received a copy of the book compliments of Goodreads Giveaways for an honest review.
Sandra
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read almost all of Louis L'Amour' s books so to win this book was a great gift. He was a wonderful author and anyone who likes his books will enjoy looking at the inside workings of this remarkable man. You might be like me and wished they were all finished, but it is a very interesting read never the less. For me it was like watching him at work. I won my book from Goodreads Giveaways.
Lee
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won the this and since I’ve never read his books decided I’d see what his ninety-one novels, one book of poetry, and over two hundred short stories were like. This edition contains only parts of stories with his son filling in background, opinions, what he thought motivation was etc., and I found it very interesting. Probably more so than an actual book, but loss interest at the end when he started to write stories about reincarnation.
Sienna
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I toured this book more than read it. If I wanted to study Louis L'Amour I can see this would be an excellent resource. I didn't want to get too attached to unfinished stories so I read a lot of the notes & tasted the stories. Obviously a work of love by his son.
Lynette Murphy
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book. I think through the years I have read most of his Westerns and now I'm ready to read them all again. In my opinion he is the greatest writer of Westerns ever bar none. I especially like those he wrote in the first person.
Jay Wright
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly, I enjoyed this book. It is bits and pieces of Louis L'Amour's unfinished works. His son gives some fascinating tidbits concerning his father. Yes, it's frustrating when you want to know the rest of the story, but you get over it.
Eddy Bryant
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I was a fan when I was growing up yet have not read him in a few years. This was a fun way to reacquaint with his writing. I enjoyed. I received my copy from good reads first reads. Thank you. I really enjoyed.
Steven Freeman
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting stories. While none are complete, the beginning of stories and snippets of others give you the chance to imagine where the story might go from there.
Michelle Olms
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book
Ms. Reader
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review...

A very unique and interesting read, it did take me a while to grab my full attention but it was well worth it.
Sarah Anne Carter
“A man had to talk to somebody and most cow-horses received a lot of confidential chatter which they were in no position to repeat.”

A prolific writer like Louis L’Amour almost always leaves behind unfinished stories and drafts of ideas. His son Beau has gone through all the writings Louis L’Amour has left behind and released 22 “Lost Treasures,” even though they were sure to “frustrate” the readers. Some of the stories get you very interested in just a chapter or two and then they end. Beau fill
Don