Start by marking “Manic Pixie Dream Boy (The Underdogs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Manic Pixie Dream Boy (The Underdogs, #1)

(The Underdogs #1)

---. You can’t hide the cracks under the spotlight .---

Dusk. Leader of The Underdogs. Destined for greatness. Lives in the now.
Abe. AKA Lolly. Iridescent. Unicorn.

All Dusk wants out of life is for his band to become world famous. He also wants to have a lot of fun along the way. And to get his rocks off. When he wants something, he goes for it, consequences be damned.

So wh
Published September 10th 2017 by Acerbi & Villani ltd

To ask other readers questions about Manic Pixie Dream Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manic Pixie Dream Boy

Judith
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars.

Well,this was just delightful.

-cute,

-sexy,

- a bit of angst,

-great characters,I think I fell a little bit in love with all of them.

These Authors are the best at creating completely different characters and making them fit.

Dusk is the lead singer of The Underdogs,a band used to doing low key gigs but hoping for more recognition.Not one for relationships,his world is about to be rocked by a pink haired tornado.

Dusk stopped breathing and just watched the dreamy, pink-haired creature move
~Mindy Lynn~
4 Stars!

This is the first book in the Underdog Series and what a great start to a new series it was. I really adored this story and its characters.

Dusk is the lead singer of the band, The Underdogs and looks like your typical bad boy with his long hair and tattoos. But as we get to know him he turns out to be quite the softy and has a tender side that will have you swooning.

Abe is hitchhiking his way to California. He's a colorful character from the studs in his ears, to his pink hair, and his
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
The first time Dusk sees Abe, Abe has his pink hair in braids and is sucking a lollipop. Dusk thinks he's gone to heaven and seen a gay unicorn. Abe is delicious, and Dusk has to have him. And have him he does.

Forget the slow burn. The attraction between the MCs is immediate; by page 3, they are screwing in a gas station bathroom. They go at it so hard, they break the sink and the pipe connected to the sink, which is how Abe (Lolly to Dusk) ends up on Dusk's band tour bus well & truly fucke
Ele
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*

I loved it. Loved, loved, LOVED it! Manic Pixie Dream Boy is the first installment of the Underdogs series. It's light on the angst but has an edge too. It's sweet, funny, sexy and it reads easily, but the ending packed a punch and made me tear up. It also includes Abe, who turned out to be one of my favorite book characters ever!

Dusk is the lead singer of The Underdogs, a rock band on their first real tour. He's your standard long-haired, tattooed badass. The band doesn't have a big
K.A. Merikan
Aug 19, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

Rockstar romance :)

---. You can’t hide the cracks under the spotlight .---

Dusk. Leader of The Underdogs. Destined for greatness. Lives in the now.
Abe. AKA Lolly. Iridescent. Unicorn.

So when he sees a gorgeous pink-haired guy who is the human equivalent of
Virginia Cavanillas
All the stars!

Every time I read the blurb of a KA Merikan's book it talks to me. I feel attracted to their synopsis like a moth to the light, so I keep adding them to my shelves. But until now, until Manic Pixie Dream Boy I'd never tried this duo before. This time I've gone beyond the interesting blurb and to the whole experience and, let me tell you, what an incredible experience this one has been!
My first book by this authors and, for sure, no my last. I'm kinda obsess now and I guess this is
.Lili.
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
My initial reaction when this book was first listed:

THAT COVER!

THE BLURB!

Dude!

And did it live up to my expectations?

Anyhoo, I have to write a super quickie because there's a hurricane heading this way, and I don't have time to make any images. Once things calm down, I will. I need to tidy up the last few ends, but I wanted to post a little something because I loved it.

This book had two things that generally irritate me:

1. Insta-love
2. Lack of communication

Did they bother me here:

In fact, the
Lorraine Lesar
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Like Lolly's lollies, I got sucked in right from the start.

It's a rare occasion when this writing duo lets us see their softer, sweeter style of writing. But when they do, it's a confectioners delight. All sugar and spice and all things nice and to get your taste buds sizzling, a great big fat dollop of dirty talking and filthy sex! (I really think they have cornered the market on that one).

The Underdogs (love that name by the way and the inspiration it inspires) are struggling to make headway i
Jewel
Manic Pixie Dream Boy is pure sugar. Strawberry bubblegum, cotton candy, and lollipop sweet. Not my normal fare from this very talented duo. And, sadly, not my favorite, either.

The cast of characters is an unknown band, by the name of The Underdogs, whose members are two brothers -- Dusk and Dawn -- and their two friends, Mage and Sid, along with a spontaneous hitchhiker, named Abe, who is all cotton candy --- pink hair, strawberry lollipop, Disney tattoo, sweet -- or is he? Abe has actually bee
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5 Stars!

Eh, this one was just okay for me. There was just something about it I didn't connect with. I'll admit I've not read a lot by these authors. I've tried maybe one other book and it didn't really wow me either.

It was a pretty easy read. Not a lot of angst. But it almost felt, I don't know, superficial? I just didn't feel the love, the chemistry, the connection, between Dusk and Abe. There was plenty of sex but, again, it didn't pack the emotional punch I was looking for.

I liked all of t
Meags
3.5 Stars

There is just something about this author duo and their edgy and compelling stories which continually serve to entertain the hell out of me. This first story in their new rock band series is fun and sexy, featuring some enjoyably quirky storytelling and a cast of colourful characters that I found unique and memorable.

Manic Pixie Dream Boy follows The Underdogs, an up and coming band made up of four distinct male members, including lead singer Dusk, his best buddy Mage, the drummer Sid,
Susan
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm

This is a tough one.

I really really liked the relationship, how intense these guys were with each other. I loved how they got to know each other, I loved the sweet times, I loved the sex, I just loved them.

What I didn’t like was (view spoiler)
Eugenia
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
Cotton candy & unicorns...

Fluffy and cute, I enjoyed this flavorful tray of sweets delivered by KA Merikan. I’m more in synch with their darker stories, so this one threw me for a loop at first.

Insta-love on one side, insta-guard on the other, Dusk and Lolly were hot together. Low angst, low depth, but a fun, lickable treat! Enjoy!
River
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, m-m
4.5 to 5 stars.

Dusk: is the leader of the Underdogs, they are a band trying to make it big in the music scene.
During their tour they make a stop at a gas station and that's when Dusk's life becomes more brighter and colorful.

Abe: is Dusk's lolly, he is a boy that grew in the system and it's finally tasting freedom, he wants to experience everything he can and have adventures. He loves to draw and it's just a magical unicorn.

Dusk and Lolly start an affair while the The Underdogs are playing gi
Chris
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
Well that was cute and unexpected.... this felt very contemporary for the KA ladies in a sweet way. Lolly / Abe was adorable and I can see why Dusk became mesmerized. It wasn't only about looks, it was the whole charisma & vibe of Lolly's personality - which at time screamed " be careful I'm vulnerable " Dusk was awesome once he realized more about what was actually required when loving another person, the bulldozer that Dusk was really needed to ease up ! His band made for interesting dynam ...more
Ky
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'll start with the one and only thing I didn't like about this book: the title. Manic Pixie Dream Boy. I didn't like it even a little bit. Fortunately, I didn't let that stop me from reading the book. I have to say, though, that the amazing cover helped a lot.

So with the negative out of the way let's focus on the awesomeness that is this first book of KA Merikan's new series. We have a bad-boy rocker falling in love with a pink-haired drifter. Their romance moves along really quickly but with t
Cadiva
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5*

So this had one of the most brilliantly mixed opening chapters of any book I've read as it throws the reader into the humorous and sexy initial meeting of the two MCs.

It also manages to bring the Merikans' own unique blend of crazy to the fake boyfriend and rock star romance tropes with a bit quite insta love connection between the somewhat over confident Dusk and the truly individual drifter he nicknames Lolly.

But, I don't know exactly what it was but I didn't fall totally in love with thi
Manic Pixie Dream Boy has to be one of K.A. Merikan’s softest, fluffiest novels ever – it’s cute, engaging, and with just the right amount of angst to keep things interesting. The book was just a delight start to finish, and I never wanted it to end.

K.A. Merikan, a team of writers, are fast becoming my favourite m/m authors. I devoured their Kings of Hell MC books – although, admittedly, there are only two so far – and have bought the first few books in their Sex & Mayhem series (which I wil
Karen
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This may have gotten off to a bit of a shaky start but...

at the end of it all things worked out quite nicely.

When I first started reading this book I also started to worry...I like K. A. Merikan and am a total fan of their series 'Guns & Boys', I found 'Hipster Brothel' to be an adorable story and their 'Sex & Mayhem' series isn't on my TBR list it's on my 'why haven't I read this yet' list, so I admit when I first started this I also started to worry because a small voice in my brain
David Alexander
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: merikan
~4 Stars
Anja

"You give me something sweet, I give you something salty"

How could you not be sucked in with one of the opening scenes something like that? When Dusk sees Lolly for the first time, that pink hair, the quirky clothes, that hot body, all topped off with a lolly in his mouth, it's practically love at first sight. Lolly, whose real name is actually Abe, reminds Dusk of a unicorn and he's gotta have himself some of that magic! And what Dusk wants, Dusk typically gets. So the reader is trea
Amanda
The rockstar romance had been written to death and I've read too many to count, yet KA Merikan manage to bring something totally different with their own unique flavor to the story. I know The Underdogs are still pretty green in the indie scene and I don't really care whether are they gonna make it to the red carpet or not. With their dilapidated tour bus, the gigs, the groupies and don't forget the fanart and fanfiction, I felt they are pretty much the rockstars in their own way.

Dusk is the le
namericanwordcat
I love the idea of Lolly/Abe. I adore the happy themed tattoos et all. But the actual development of the character is uneven and too late in the book to work well.

Dusk's character has many of the same issues. They don't talk even after several moments of saying TALK.

Then, we get into a pretend relationship trope which is awkward and an even more awkward climax and break up.

Hmmmm. I will likely read Dawn's story because interested but I hope the emotionial depth of the writing gets better.
Ariana
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, ku
Tbh, I am a bit stuck for words here. *slightly bewildered*

If these characters came from a different planet, they couldn't be any more alien to me, I guess.

All I can say is that what these guys do really well is f***. And they do it a lot.
And okay, they are somewhat cute together. *see! lost for words*

So that's about it.
*This was somehow weird*
❀❁❀Tara❀❁❀
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
☆★ 4 STARS★☆ for a new K.A Merikan Series!!!

To set the scene…

*me after reading a scene where Dusk and Abe get jiggy with it*

Ladies and gentlemen, have your Gaviscon ready cause this shit was SPICY.

Introducing Dusk (brother to Dawn, how cool are those names???) and member of The Underground (an up and coming rock band).

And Abe (Lolly), sucker of strawberry lollypops (and various Dusk body parts).

(but with longer hair, a small star tattoo under his eye and gauged ears, this guy’s a little too cle
**Kaycee**
**3 stars**

K.A. Merikan are two of my favorite writers primarily because of the imagination and "kinkiness" of their stories. Their stories are just so OUT there. Except for this one.

Manic Pixie Dream Boy was a story about Dusk, the lead singer of a rock band, and Abe aka "Lolly", a colorful drifter with a penchant for art.

After a 'hook-up' in a gas station bathroom with Dusk, Lolly hitches a ride with the band as they are headed for Lolly's intended destination, LA.

Most of the story centers o
Veronica of V's Reads
Dusk Hill is the frontman and lead guitarist of The Underdogs, a rock band he’s formed with his brother Dawn, his bestie Mage and Sid, an experienced drummer. Sid and Dawn are gay, but quiet about it, and Dusk is bisexual, but only out to friends and family. He meets a slender, pink-haired tattooed man in a gas station convenience store–and the attraction is instant.

They actually have to make a run for it, after Dusk and the sucker-licking man he calls ‘Lolly’ in his head make a giant mess of th
LiadANNA
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Manic pixie dream boy" – the first book in newest K.A. Merikan series "The Underdogs". And how is it? Did you read the title? It's exacly like the title. It's fast, sweet and dream like.So it's great opening book for one of the sweetest series girls wrote for us. But fear not! It's not only fluffy, pink and happy – in this book is healty amount of angst.

So my thought? What I like:

1. The Underdogs – Such a great guys. On a tour, chasing their dreams. Dusk, Dawn, Mage, Sid. I love them all, and
Santy
This book was one of the tamest I've read from K.A Merikan.

It didn't have the darkness or "otherness" that their books usually have and was quite sweet to be honest which I thoroughly enjoyed. This writing duo have the ability to pull you into their stories, their unique characters and even more unique backgrounds.

For a first book in a series, it set the tone for the rest of the series quite well and I have no complaints about it except that I just wish it were longer.

"Stan" and Sid's book is n
Lisa

This was just an ok read for me. I wasn't really invested in Abe and Dusk. The story was sweet, little angst but nothing to really keep my attention.
It took me 3 days to read what is relatively a short book.
I much prefer the mafia and biker books, books which you can get your teeth into.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Highlander​ (The Order #2)
  • Kiss
  • Reverb
  • Guarded (Guarded, #1)
  • Trying Not to Love You
  • Max
  • Touchdown (Game Day #1)
  • Sightings
  • Prelude (Blue Notes, #4)
  • The Puritan Pirate (Pirates of Port Royal, #1)
  • Blood & Marriage (Guns n' Boys, #3.5)
  • Chance Assassin: A Story of Love, Luck, and Murder (Chance Assassin, #1)
  • Indiscretion
  • Double Takes (Shooting Stars, #2)
  • Illumination
  • Long Way (Adventures INK , #2)
  • A Little Bit Rock & Roll
  • Royal Flush
(Goodreads profile run by Kat)

K. A. Merikan are a team of writers who try not to suck at adulting, with some success. Always eager to explore the murky waters of the weird and wonderful, K.A. Merikan don’t follow fixed formulas and want each of their books to be a surprise for those who choose to hop on for the ride.

K.A. Merikan have a few sweeter M/M romances as well, but they specialize in the d

The Underdogs (3 books)
  • Just Here for the Pain (The Underdogs, #2)
  • You. Forever. Always. (The Underdogs, #3)
“Ogni volta che Dusk ripensava al suo sorriso, che tanto amava, non poteva evitare che un’espressione adorante gli comparisse in viso e che il suo cuore battesse più forte per la gioia. Comunque, la vita in tournée non era solo divertimento, sesso e giochi, infatti, a un certo punto dovette uscire dalla loro camera per le prove. Anche quando Lolly non era con lui, la sua attenzione continuava a spostarsi dalla musica al ragazzo e a quanto fosse bello rimanere accoccolati a letto dopo aver scopato la mattina presto. Una brezza piacevole scombinò i capelli di Dusk mentre stava sperimentando con la chitarra i nuovi accordi per le loro canzoni. La sua voce diventava un tutt’uno con la musica quando cantava e lui si perdeva nel mondo creato dalle parole di suo fratello. Alcune canzoni che Dusk conosceva benissimo, e che cantava da sempre, lo colpirono come mai prima d’ora. Non solo le canzoni di Dawn vibrarono in maniera diversa, ma gli diedero anche nuove idee. Milioni di parole invasero la sua mente, spingendolo a desiderare un foglio per scriverle. Era raro che componesse e, sebbene per il momento aveva solo piccoli frammenti di testo, non poté fare a meno di pensare di avere qualcosa di speciale tra le mani.” 5 likes
“«Fidanzati?» Agitò le sopracciglia come se fosse tutto un gioco, e Abe si sentì ancora più confuso.Diversi pensieri attraversarono la sua mente. Si trovava risucchiato in un turbinio di aspettative per cui non era pronto. Aveva iniziato quell’avventura più di un anno fa, e fino a quel momento aveva evitato relazioni pericolose e gente possessiva, ma questa situazione era completamente nuova e non sapeva come comportarsi.Incrociò lo sguardo di Dusk, così gioioso ed elettrizzato, e si ritrovò a sorridere nonostante tutti i dubbi che lo stavano tormentando. Gli piaceva davvero Dusk. Era bello stare con lui ed era un fantastico compagno di letto. Adorava anche trascorrere del tempo con i suoi amici ma, cosa più importante, non era un tipo che faceva programmi. Seguiva la corrente e si godeva il viaggio proprio come lui. Erano molto simili, quindi pensò che rimanere un altro po’ e guadagnare soldi extra, vedere nuovi posti e aiutare gli Underdogs ad avviare la loro carriera non fosse poi un’idea così malvagia. Abe accorciò la distanza che li separava e baciò Dusk. «Fidanzati»” 4 likes