Start by marking “The Birthday Girl” as Want to Read:
The Birthday Girl

The Birthday Girl

Dear Carys, Zoe and Andrea

One of them is hiding a secret.
And Joanne is planning to r
Published November 30th 2017 by HarperImpulse (first published November 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Birthday Girl, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michelle
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Holly  B
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it

It's a Birthday party!
It's a guessing game!
Is it murder?

These ladies get together for the weekend in a cozy cottage in the secluded woods. Sounds lovely doesn't it? Joanne has many many things planned- hiking, trailing, boating, guessing games with clue cards, but what does this birthday girl really have on her mind?

I was really into the game and the setting. It was a fun theme, but it does turn darker and little outlandish (possibly), but still clever! One big shocker really had me fli
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
 photo DN0SKUPXkAEMkUY_zpsewtcsqcv.jpg

🌟🌟🌟🌟STARS
Now never having read anything of Sue Fortin before I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this.
Well, Wow, this certainly didn't disappoint.
I read this in practically one sitting, it was such addictive reading that I struggled to put "The Birthday Girl" down I was so engrossed.
This story tells the tale of four best friends, Carys, Zoe, Andrea and Joanne, all in or approaching their forties.
All Bogged down with the usual life dramas, petty jealousies and rivalries that usually come wi
Zoe Mann
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was recommended this book by a friend and absolutely hated the first 40-50%. It was far too bitchy, cliche and honestly boring for me, but then something tragic happens and I was honestly hooked. I appreciated what all the fuss was about and I couldn't stop reading. We have all heard the saying that a great book should be great from the get go. You shouldn't have to wait until you are half way in but trust me it's worth the wait.
Michelle
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
While reading this book all I could think of was the expression...with friends like these who needs enemies! Secrets and lies abound and Sue Fortin gives us just enough creepy atmosphere to go along with it.

Four best friends gather for Joanne's 40th birthday. This isn't just any birthday celebration. Joanne has planned it down to every detail. The women are whisked away to Scotland to a remote cabin in the woods. She has confiscated all of their phones to have a bonding weekend filled with game
Aditi
“There is still no cure for the common birthday.”

----John Glenn

Sue Fortin, an English author, has penned an atmospheric and compelling thriller called, The Birthday Girl that revolves around a mother, of a teenage son, who has recently lost her husband, receiving the best birthday surprise that she cannot ever imagine in her lifetime from someone really close to her heart, even though she has three best friends and one of her friends has already planned out a surprise weekend getaway somewher
Shalini
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a shocker of a story. Where I thought the book ended and there would be nothing more to know, other than to read it for a thrill, the story actually started.

This is my first book by Sue Fortin, and I was bloody well enthralled to leave other work and get to the last page. It was a race against time. This is the book which made me go ‘One more chapter and I would sleep’ till the end.

All the credit goes to the author, Sue Fortin. She starts the story as a routine murder mystery. Jo
Liz Barnsley
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Oops looks like a minority view from me this time but I had quite a few problems with this story - although it's *really* difficult to rate because Sue Fortin is a really talented writer, I love the good writing but subjectively the story itself annoyed the living heck out of me.

Carys is annoying and her problems were not that interesting. Also on anti-depressants (yawn) prone to brain freezes at inopportune moments (bigger yawn) and lies through her teeth numerous times thinking she's doing th
Mandy White
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
Wow! This book blew me away! I loved Sister Sister so it was a no brainer to request this book on Netgalley when it came up. Once you start this book it is very hard to put it down.4 friends go away on a birthday weekend... a weekend that will change of of their lives forever. So many lies and twists.. this book was fantastic. Thanks to Netgalley and Harper Collins UK for a copy of this book to read and review
Marialyce
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it

What was suppose to be a fun weekend celebrating a birthday turns scarily tragic and creepy. This was a good story although it was not too difficult figuring out who was the bad girl.

Another good story brought to me by my local library!
Nicki
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Dear Carys, Zoe and Andrea Come and join me for my fortieth birthday adventure weekend, full of mysteries and surprises the like of which you can’t imagine.

A weekend away in a cottage in the woods sounds like fun – until no one can hear your cries for h
Brenda
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This author I discovered on my own. I was hooked into the story from the very first chapter. There were twists and turns in this book that I did not forsee. I enjoyed this author's way of developing characters. The mind-games that were played out in this book blew my mind. I will seek out this author again in the future.
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: three-star
Having thoroughly enjoyed Sister Sister and felt underwhelmed by The Girl Who Lied, this authors latest book falls somewhere in the middle. I enjoy her ideas but not necessarily how they translate through her writing.

The Birthday Girl features a group of four friends (who don’t really seem all that friendly...) as they embark on a weekend getaway somewhere in the remotest part of eastern Scotland. As with her previous books, the author includes a substantial dose of red herrings and good old fa
Jill
Dec 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Couldn't get past 25%. With friends like these, who needs enemies. Couldn't stand the characters and just made me depressed.
Lisa Houston
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4 friends set off on a suprise birthday weekend away. Joanne arranges it all for her 3 friends. What a lovely friend she is. Or is she? Is there a motive behind the weekend away? What exactly has she got planned. Almost from the word go the women feel uneasy with how things are playing out. Then things start to take a nasty turn. I loved this book. Good mix of characters. Well written book with lots of twists and turns. Was hard to put down once you started. Highly recommended
Rachel Gilbey
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Creepy, eerie, atmospheric, baffling but utterly addictive are all words that I would happily use to describe The Birthday Girl.

This is a story that kept me guessing , and then something else came to light, andI started to guess in other directions, but at no point was I able to put 2 and 2 together.

The first few chapters were a great introduction to the characters and also in giving a full idea as to just how excluded the croft that the friends would be staying in was. It was like a magical my
Melissa Souza
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
**Thank you to HarperCollins UK and NetGalley for sending me an ARC in return for an honest review.

4.5 stars!!!

This book has got to be one of the best I have read so far this year. It was so intense. I had no idea what was going to happen next. I was literally on the edge of my seat. The book is based on the premise that 3 friends are invited to a weekend getaway by their mutual best friend for her fortieth birthday. But, what unravels in the days that follow makes us realise that this is no ord
BookwormCatLady
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arc
The Birthday Girl is easily in my top 5 reads of 2018! Pure brilliance!
Sue just has this natural way of building genuine, hair-raising tension that I rarely come across - and I read A LOT!
I’ll be recommending this book for a long time to come.
Thanks to Harper Collins UK, Harper Fiction for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
This was an OK read, found it a bit slow paced, could have been a bit shorter but has got all the certain elements well built for a mystery/suspense.

I always have a soft spot when the lot is like this, a few friends are 'trapped' in a condo/cabin in a remote setting, and there are secrets to be revealed. If you like this you might enjoy In a Dark Dark Wood by Ruth Ware.
Donna Maguire

I loved this book!!  It really gripped me and I didn't want to stop reading until I reached the very end - it was very hard to put down!

The pace was spot on and it slowly built up speed from the beginning.  I loved the build up as the partygoers went from destination to destination at the very outset so even the reader had no idea where  they were going to end up.  The characters were great and I loved how they worked so well together to make it such an e
Dylan
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

The first half of this book was not thrilling at all, but I really started to enjoy it once it picked up.

I thought the characters were decently rounded, even if they're stupid.

The ending kiiiinda shook me. That's all I'll say.
Carol
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Birthday Girl by Sue Fortin
4.5 ★

Dear Carys, Zoe and Andrea
the like of which you can’t imagine.

When Joanne’s friends reluctantly accept an invitation to her birthday party, it quickly becomes clear that there is more to this weekend than they are expecting. One of them is hiding a secret. And Joanne is planning to reveal it. A weekend away in a cottage in the woods sounds like fun – until no one can he
Inn Auni
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller, spoiler
This book is part of Girl Who Lied series but, also a standalone. I haven't read the first book but, after reading this one, I can't wait to get my hand on it.

Four friends went on an adventure in some forsaken place in Scotland for a birthday celebration. The birthday girl, known for liking mystery, decided to play a game. It was all fun albeit a bit of clash from the girls different opinion. But when that said birthday girl was found dead, it's no longer a game of fun but, a fight for survival.
Suze Lavender
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Joanne invites her three best friends, Carys, Andrea and Zoe, to a mystery birthday weekend. Carys and Andrea aren't looking forward to the party as their relationship with Joanne hasn't been as good as it used to be for a while. For the sake of friendship they accept though, which is something they might deeply regret. Joanne feels wronged and she has a plan. Her weekend isn't about celebrating the bond she has with her friends, it's about exposing secrets. The four friends are in a remote cott ...more
Sarah Denzil
This is the first book I've read by Sue Fortin, and it won't be the last. The premise won me over before I even started the book. I'm not a huge fan of the organised 'weekend away'. Hen dos generally fill me with a cold dread, all those organised games and the unpredictability of not knowing what's going to happen next. Well, The Birthday Girl features the weekend-away-from-hell, my worst nightmare! An action and adventure one at that! Even worse!

Just like an alcohol-fuelled hen do, The Birthday
Audrey
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
When friends Carys, Zoe and Andrea are invited to join friend Joanne for a weekend of 'mysteries and surprises' to celebrate her fortieth birthday, little do they imagine what is in store. Certainly, a lot more than just cake and champagne. Right from the start, it is clear that the foursome share more than simple friendship, with dark secrets and betrayals at the heart of the story.
I thought this book was well-written, gradually revealing its twists and turns, leaving the reader unsure of where
Susan Angela Wallace
The birthday girl by sue fontin.
Carys andrea and zoe have been invited to joannes 40th birthday weekend getaway.
They have a car ride to an airport. Then going somewhere in the uk. Then another car journey. What was supposed to be a birthday weekend turned out to be a nightmare.
But someone has a grudge? Who is it? And will one of them get hurt?
Absolutely fantastic read. A thriller with twists and turns and an ending which is shocking. Wow. Must read highly recommended. 5*
Connie D
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: survival, mystery, friends
In reading this book, I was quickly caught up in the confusion, concern, and fear that these women (especially the narrator Carys) felt. It kept me up reading later than expected on several nights. (See elsewhere for the story.)

I did question the depth of these friendships from the very beginning, and felt that was a weak point, but if you ignore that, it's a good ride. (The writing is not great, but is good enough because of the plot.)

Agi
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases, 2017

After reading "Sister, Sister" by Sue Fortin I was impatiently waiting for this author's next release, so when "The Birthday Girl" was offered to request on NetGalley I didn't hesitate long, quickly downloaded it to my kindle and almost immediately started reading this another compelling, hooking read.

The story follows four friends, Carys, Andrea, Zoe and Joanne. The first three have been invited to a mystery birthday weekend by Joanne and reluctantly they arrive at the very remote place. Why re
Sharon
Thank you to Netgalley, the author and the Publishers for this review copy. Also thank you to Emilie from Harper Collins for organising the Blog Tour.

This is my second book by this author, and I was keen to get started on this one as I really enjoyed the first one, Sister Sister. I was definitely NOT disappointed with this one. I could not put it down, and finished it in just over a day! Also included in the Blog Tour today is an extract from the book. The extract follows below, after my review.
Grace J Reviewerlady
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Birthday Girl is a novel full of secrets and lies, and it is one jaw-dropping read! I couldn’t put it down, finishing within a day, so desperate was I to know what happens next!

Joanne is turning 40 and has decided to organise a weekend trip for herself and her girlfriends Andrea, Carys and Zoe. As with the best of us, things haven’t been as easy between them as they usually are and this is a chance for them to get back the status quo. In order to keep it all a surprise, the other three only
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• A Bella Flora Christmas (Ten Beach Road, #5.5)
  • Legacy: An Anthology
  • Seized (The Profiler #3)
  • Some Kind of Wonderful (Cupcake Lovers #3.5)
  • Waiting For You
  • Dying Breath (Detective Lucy Harwin, #2)
  • Do No Harm
  • Crota
  • Absolute Proof
  • Post Mortem (Collins and Griffiths, #1)
  • Salt Lane (DS Alexandra Cupidi #1)
  • The Wedding Tree (The Wedding Tree #1)
  • Over Tumbled Graves (Caroline Mabry, #1)
  • No One Needs To Know
  • The Satanic Mechanic  (Tannie Maria Mystery, #2)
  • Death Note (Detective Ruby Preston, #1)
  • The Chosen Ones (DI Robyn Carter, #5)
  • The Burning Girl (The Hollows - Short Story, #2)
I am a member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association, having come through their New Writers’ Scheme, and a part of the online writing group The Romaniacs who all met through the NWS. I am also a member of the Crime Writers’ Association.

Lover of cake, Dragonflies and France. Hater of calories, maths and snakes. I was born in Hertfordshire but had a nomadic childhood, moving often with my family, be