Start by marking “Plus One” as Want to Read:
Plus One

Plus One

(Pig & Barley #3)

If you can stand the heat, there's a hot single dad in the kitchen.

1 part tatted-up single dad restaurateur
1 part effervescent younger wine rep
Spice generously with sexual tension
Combine at a foodie conference
Serve steaming hot

At not-quite forty and with his son in his last year of high school, Bert's going to be dining alone. ...more
Published August 2017 by Atacama Books (first published January 28th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Plus One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plus One

Mari
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, faves, 2017reads
5 Indubitable stars

This is maybe my first book by Mae Wood, when Kate Canterbary recommends I listen, so had to check this one out. Suffice to say she was right, indubitably. While this is part of series, I was told it can be read as standalone and it does. The blurb had pique my curiosity and single dad bartender sold. Right away that writing style grabbed my attention, it was smooth and crisp with notes of humor. The characters are complex, dialogue is layered but straightforward.<
Michelle Rodriguez
Plus One (Pig & Barley #3) by Mae Wood

Review 5 Stars

Listen up people, whenever one of your favorite authors recommend another author and a book of theirs to read, you fucking listen, I’m looking at you Kate Canterbary. But being the bookwhore that I am, I had not had the time to read any of Ms. Wood’s previous novels. Moving to the present, I saw a sign up that another blogger friend told me I had to absolutely sign up for, and she told me not to worry it was #3 in the series, since it was basically a standalone
Aaly
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
** ARC kindly provided for an honest review. **

review-blog

This was my first book by Mae Wood. The blurb was definitely catchy and I couldn't wait to read it.

It was quite good. This story about this restauranteur (Bert), and the sassy wine rep (Drennan) was fun, spicy and of course hot!

Bert is quite the catch, successful businessman divorced and happy father of no longer teen, he’s living this life one moment at the time, especially when it comes to women.

Drennan is independent and caring for her family business. Comi
Hilaria Alexander
I was so invested in this story, I literally took my kindle with me everywhere. I was rooting for them since the beginning.
Bert is the handsome restaurateur with a fondness for literature, and Drennan is the spunky, younger wine rep who keeps her family business running. There's a twelve years difference between the two protagonists, and yet, their reluctant relationship blooms into something beautiful. I loved the unusual storyline of an almost forty-year-old with a teenage son who's refusing
ItaPixie
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars

Plus One is the story of a sexy and tatted DILF and a witty wine girl.

I've really enjoyed reading this third installment of the Pig & Barley series even if it wasn't at al what I expected from the blurb.It is funny and hot as the previous ones but also a lot more sweet.

I liked the main characters so much I cheered for their happiness from page 1.
It was about time that our Hero,Bert,started to live his life for himself.Fortunately he met the woman who will take

Kate Farlow
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
descriptionY'all. This book.
So good. So, so good. I mean, come on. While there was SO MUCH in this book to like, what I LOVED was Bert's relationship with his son.

"I need you to understand that.
You were a surprise. Not a mistake."

And all the ladies swooned. Okay? Okay.
Seriously though, if you like Single Dad's, good food, all the wine, and fitness coupled with stellar writing and extremely well-developed characters, then PLUS ONE IS THE BOOK FOR YOU. So, go ahead, one click it and enjoy.
*Pairs well with a nice glass of wine.
Anas Attic  Book Blog

Plus One by Mae Wood
Contemporary romance. Part of an interconnected Series but can stand alone. Great for Foodies.
I committed to read Plus One by Mae Wood back in February. I love a single dad book, especially a mature one, and was assured that this stood alone even though it was third in a series. I picked it up a few times, and it didn’t grab me right away, so being as overbooked as I am, I kept moving it to my next month’s to-read list. Well I finally got to it.

The first chapter or two was about people I f
Laurie
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2017
When you pick up a book just to read a couple of pages and you look up and two hours have passed? That's a sign of a wonderful book. Indeed, Plus One is just that. Mae Wood is a new to me author, but if this book is any indication, I am all in!!

Plus One is swoony, sexy, good with chemistry and charm that dazzles. I fell for these characters in real time -- it is impossible not do. Together Bert and Drennan are pure magic, a love story that you want to see on a screen.

Bert
Beth ~ Panda & Boodle
His way. My way. It didn’t matter. It was all the same way.

I’m a little ashamed to admit that it has taken me since February to read Mae Wood’s Plus One. I bought it on release day and had great expectations of being able to read and review it ASAP. But then… ah, well, in the way it does, life got in the way.

And now, I can’t help asking myself why? Why did I not make this brilliant book a priority? I can only say that, though I’d heard only the best things about Ms. Wood’s writing and Bert Forsythe, sexy sing
Julia Bailey
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january-31-2017
Like an irresistible wine whose elegance draws you into its orbit, Mae Wood’s third Pig and Barley novel Plus One is sure to please not only the devoted reader base (anchored in Borrowing Trouble and Risking Ruin), but new readers as well, people looking for a steamy romance between two well-drawn characters: vivacious wine rep Drennan and sexy restauranteur Bert. No matter their ages differ by more than a decade, no matter he’s a single dad with an eighteen-year-old son, no matter she’s a Cali ...more
Sarah/DragonflyReads
4.5 stars! Really enjoyed this one! I've got to say, it's refreshing to have a hero that's got his life together. Bert and Drennan have a fantastic relationship and banter that I read through with ease. This is my first book from Mae Wood and definitely won't be my last. I definitely have to read the Pig and Barley series from the beginning so I can get everyone's story! With that being said, Plus One reads perfectly as a standalone, even though it's book three in the series.
Kate's Corner
Jan 25, 2017 marked it as 09-nuff-said  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.
Susan (susayq ~)
3.5-4 stars

Drennan and Bert. Let me just start by saying I love her name. I also liked her. Drennan is working as a wine rep before going back to Napa to the winery she owns with her cousin. She meets Bert because his restaurant is one she sells too. She's been trying for a while to get him to notice her, but he hasn't been biting. Finally, at a food conference things heat up between them.

I loved that Bert was older and a single parent of a teen. I loved that he didn't wa
Darlene Avery
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plus One by Mae Wood follows the life of a single dad who finds himself attracted to a younger and sassy liquor rep that services his place of business.

It was fun reading a book set in Memphis, a city I'm very familiar with. I felt the interaction between the characters was little short, but overall I enjoyed this book.

Plus One has an interesting storyline that addresses issues facing many divorced parents.

3.75 Stars
Dawn Strickland
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plus One is a Must Read!

Albert Tynes Forsythe IV is a good man. He is a great chef, athletic, and a sexy single dad. His marriage ended and he keeps his relationships shallow and brief.

Drennen McCutcheon is an independent woman. She is sassy, hard working, and a lover of food and wine. Her time soaking up knowledge and experience in wine sales is quickly coming to an end. Soon she will have to return to her hometown to takeover as COO of her family winery.

Their paths cross through
CeCe
I never felt any love between the MCs. If you like emotionally distant heroes, this one is for you. The hero even has the heroine's number on his phone listed as "rep" at 83% in the book. It was all lust in my opinion. She was easy to give it up and he was happy to take it. "Milk for free..." and all that jazz. I think the reason he even called her in the end was that the easy sex was gone. This is my opinion. The writing style also did not work for. I think it would have been better if I did no ...more
Jaime
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't get me wrong, I loved Trip. But Bert. Bert has etched a place in the book boyfriend hierarchy.

Bert, a single (divorced) dad of a teenager. Trying to date, while co-owning Pig & Barley down in Memphis. Drennan, a wine rep for the bar who is in the city for a few more months. They aren't looking for anything more than a good time.

Bert isn't perfect. Neither is Drennan. You don't want to them to be. Navigating through the unknown is completely terrifying, nothing in there lives were don
Cai
I received an advanced reader copy of this eBook in exchange for an honest review.

After several attempts of writing my own version of the blurb but nothing I write can even come close to her awesome blurb!

I have been eagerly awaiting this book since I finished Borrowing Trouble. I listed it as one of the books I wanted to read in 2017. And it’s here! When I finally sat down to read Plus One, I swore that I would read just the first chapter and then I would prepare for the
My Own Bookshelves
First Off, I am a totally big sucker for the 'single dad' storyline. When I saw the opportunity for cover re-reveal/sales blitz, no words other than "Where do I sign up?" were spoken by yours truly. Give me the book recommendation to read from my friend at Panda & Boodle - SOLD!

Bert is the perfect hot, tatted, alpha males all us romance readers swoon to find. Drennan is the perfect blend of strong, determined yet owns her femininity. Together the chemistry on the pages starts with a slow burn and eve"Where
Anna
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is so much to enjoy about this story and I hated it to end.

We get two strong, smart, sexy MCs with their sh*t pretty much together. Neither have too many hangups outside the normal "this is life" issues. They have a short-term acquaintances with benefits relationship while Drennan is in town. I loved that Drennan was confident in herself and didn't apologize for who she was or what she wanted. And Bert, who doesn't love a man who loves his son, isn't afraid to be a parent (not
Kristin
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-read-review
The Lickable Man & His Wine Rep!

Plus One is Bert and Drennan's story. It is a hot, sexy read with sweet moments and moments that will make you laugh. The story takes place in Memphis. Since it is centered around a restaurant, the author gives great descriptions of the food and wine.

Albert "Bert" is a tattooed, divorced father of a son. He spends many hours at Pig & Barley. Bert's son is getting ready to graduate from high school and go off to college. Bert will soon have to
Kim
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars!

This is my first book by Mae Wood and it was enjoyable.

Plus One is a story about Bert, a restaurateur and Drennan, a wine rep who have undeniable chemistry.

Bert is a very successful businessman who is a divorced father of a teenage boy. He is living his life to the fullest and enjoying every moment.

Drennan is from a well-known family and is trying to make it on her own. She is very sassy and has noticed the hot restaurateur who has woman falling at
Leigh Parrish
I’m having a hard time connecting to the writing style. I’m going to take a pause at chapter 7 and maybe try again later.
Jackie Wright
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why have I not heard of Mae Wood and why is the first book in her Pig & Barley Series that I have read, book 3 in the series and yes they can be read as standalones, I can say that honestly because this is the first book I have read by this author. IT WON'T BE THE LAST......
Bert part owner of the Pig & Barley restaurant, a tattooed single father of Grady who is just about to graduate high school, what is more endearing I ask myself well when that man is also funny and loyal my hear
Liz
This had potential for much more. So many unresolved items.

This is Bert's story. He falls for a very young wine rep who is actually a very young CEO of a winery. Why are there so many stories of younger women and older men??
Susan
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I completely read these books out of order, but that made absolutely no difference for me. I first read the book about Bert’s ex-wife, and fell in love with him in that book, so I was anxious to go back and read about his happily ever after. And Bert found that with Drennan. He was a restaurant owner and she was the wine rep for his business, and they found that commonality to bond over.

Plus One was definitely worth the read. I loved the characters and the plot. I just wish there was really a P
Em__Jay
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am reviewing PLUS ONE after a reread. I never reviewed it the first time around because [insert reason no one really cares about here] and since I love the book and have reread it, it’s time I do so.

My Mae Wood journey began with THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT, so I read the books in reverse order of publication. There are several significant cross-overs but the books stand on their own, so feel free to just dive in!

I love books that feature food and drink, and it’s a bonus tha
Crowned-Owl
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great to read about adults, in real world situations, while still getting away from reality. Would definitely recommend!
Vivi
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First time reading Mae Wood, and I have to say I'm impressed. Hot characters and a solid story. Can't wait to read others titles in this serie.
Vivi
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plus one

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Link to Amazon isn't working 1 11 Aug 01, 2019 04:01PM
United By Romance: Plus One 1 2 Sep 22, 2018 05:40PM

• Spiralling Skyward: Falling (Contradictions, #1)
  • Second Chance: a romance for the over 40
  • Semi-Twisted (Harper Hall Investigations #3)
  • The Presence of Grace (Love and Loss, #2)
  • The First Touch of Sunlight
  • Star Pupil
  • Euphoria (The Thornfield Affair #1)
  • Personal Foul (Forbidden Love Book 1)
  • Don't Say It (Ronacks Motorcycle Club #2)
  • The Game
  • The Cinderella Seduction (Suddenly Cinderella, #3)
  • Elusive Love
  • Room 1208
  • Impressions of You (The Impressions Duet, book 1)
  • Falling for a Santini (The Santinis, #7)
  • Soft Limits
  • Nailed (Dad Bod Contracting, #3)
  • Escalation (Clandestine Affairs, #2)
Professional sassypants and novelist, Mae Wood has been a bookworm her entire life.

She loves cheeses, complicated crafts that she'll start but never complete, and puns.

A while ago Mae decided that she needed to give up the fear that she couldn't write "great literature" and write what she wants to read.

And she wants romance. And laughter. And real life.

She want

Pig & Barley (3 books)
  • Risking Ruin (Pig & Barley #1)
  • Borrowing Trouble (Pig & Barley #2)