Start by marking “Deviate (A Love After Loss Novel)” as Want to Read:
Deviate (A Love After Loss Novel)

Deviate (A Love After Loss Novel)

Hard. Painful. Tragic.

This is what my life has become - purgatory. Floating in the middle of what could’ve been and what’s never going to happen.

My past dictates my future. Every step forward, guarantees ten steps back. Regret entwined with an addiction to bad decisions, living in the moment, and neglecting the consequences has become a way of life.

Ignoring all the warni
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 12th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Deviate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deviate

Sybil aka Lala
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If there was even a tiny thought that Valentine’s ability to nail the emotions of her characters and make you relate on a visceral level was mere fluke – then Deviate blew that thought to shit.

She did it again, and this time even more so. I felt the entire spectrum of feels in this brilliantly written book. While taking her time when it matters, this book never once dragged and flowed so easily that I couldn’t believe I’d reached the end already. (Minus the break I had to take when emotions ran
Brenda Travers
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deviate was my first book by Marley Valentine, I'm captivated by her words, the detail the emotion and the heartbreaking storyline had me addicted.

Marley has a way of capturing each of the characters and the emotion behind them. In Deviate we get the story of Elliot and Courtney who me meet in Devastate - this is their story and it's an emotional roller coaster of Love, Laughs, Loss and Life. I think the world needs more Elliot's he is drop dead gorgeous, patient and now one of my favourite Boo
Ariadna Basulto
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For Courtney life has been hard, painful, and tragic. So when she finds herself in an arrangement of convenience with Elliot, she figures why not? No feelings or attachments. Just a way to satiate lust and blow off steam. But when feelings begin to creep their way into their arrangement they both decide to end things before things get messy. But with a little friendly interference on both sides Courtney and Elliot being to realize that maybe, just maybe, they want more regardless of the complica ...more
Cheril Olmsted
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Marley Valentine sure knows how to write stories that tug at your heart strings. Deviate was emotional and very well written. But what I loved must about this book was that it touches on real life situations that some people live with everyday but have no idea how to coupe with them. But it also shares an important message that with a little help from loved ones you can remember that you are not alone.

Courtney is a strong and confidant woman on the outside but on the inside she is broken, scare
Keri Loves Books
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Living after losing so much seems impossible at times. But is going through the motions really living?

Elliott and Courtney have a physical relationship. It started out of convenience and a way to just sate the body’s desire. But once things get to be too much like feelings, they split. But mutual friends butt in, because well that’s what friends do. These two may find that they want more than just the physical.

This story will make you cry. The heartache and sadness will break you. But life isn’
A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
This story pulled all my heart strings. I was torn apart by Courtney and Elliott's situations. Their lives have been affected by tragedies that have left them still dealing with the aftermath a few years later. It's heartbreaking.

I love how supportive and loving Elliott is towards Courtney.
The subject of depression is hard and has made me more aware of how short life can be.

The other characters in the book just make the story stronger and give more depth to the storyline.

This is my first book b
Marley Valentine
Oct 15, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
★★★ DEVIATE IS LIVE ★★★

Hard. Painful. Tragic.

Jill  Kirtley
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one to be missed!

Marley Valentine's writing is exciting, sophisticated and thrilling. This book took hold of me from page one and kept my attention all the way through. The storyline is raw and heartfelt, the struggle to overcome tragedy so real as are the characters. Deviate is a spin off novel and can be read as a complete standalone. Courtney and Elliott are originally featured in the novel Devastate. Highly recommended!
Eye in Bookland
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
¡3.5 estrellas! Disfruté mucho esta historia, me gustó más que la primera, los personajes fueron muy buenos y la manera en que la desarrolló Marley fue bastante adictiva, además que me hizo querer un Elliot para mí!
Ally Vance
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I accepted an ARC in exchange for an honest review

*Spoiler FREE*

I read and loved book 1 Devastate and this 2 instalment too. I loved the characters, particularly Elliot. I really felt for him, his character came through and really resonated with me, his own outlook on life, and him as a person really drew me to his character. I admired his strength after losing the brother he never met and his kindness for taking care of Evie for so long instead of himself when it was his loss too.

I didnt connec
Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~
4 Stars to Deviate by Marley Valentine.

This book was intense and emotional. The truly only happy moments were in the end. That said, while there is grief and devastation, there was also hope. Where you wouldn't think there could be a happy ending, there was one. Marley Valentine has a talent for writing books that leave you breathless not to mention thoughtful. She makes you appreciate what you have in life even if you think it could be better.

Deviate follows Marley's previous title, Devastate.
Maïwenn  B
Shelves: fav-authors
Review to come; it's so good my head's still in the book!
Wit & Wonder Books
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
** ARC provided by the author for an honest review **

Bad habits and codependency bring two people together intimately. Grief and sadness pull them apart emotionally. Marley Valentine’s Deviate touches on sensitive subjects and the coping mechanisms that are used to deal with or avoid the reality of a situation.

“I’m addicted to an endless pattern of poor decisions, unmet standards, and unexpressed ambitions.” –Courtney

Courtney ends her purely physical relationship with Elliot after she has a scar
KFForever
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
kfforever

Reviewed by Donna Elsegood on behalf of KFF

Wow, this is the second offering from Marley Valentine and again, right from the first page I was drawn in. My heart began to pound knowing that Valentine can shake out every emotion with her written word.

This story is about Courtney or Court as we know her from the previous story, Devastate. And of course, how could I possibly forget the handsome Elliot! Theirs was a very palpable attraction or so I thought, but feelings begin to run deeper
nicandbooks
Open yourself up to love ❤

I absolutely loved Marley Valentines's first book Devastate but this next one, Deviate, I could not put down. I read it in one afternoon/evening as the story of Elliot and Courtney just totally swept me away - I had to know what happened, I had to know how things would work out, I had to see if they'd get their happy ending.

Courtney was introduced in Devastate as the main character Evie's best friend. I immediately liked Courtney and her no holds bar attitude to telli
Angela DeMarco
4.5 Stars

Deviate by Marley Valentine is about Elliot and Courtney. We met them in Devastate this is their emotional and powerful story. Marley wrote a beautiful story that was real, raw and heartbreaking. I was addicted to the storyline from the beginning to the very last page. At times I wanted scream out my frustration on a certain someone, you'll see who I mean when you read it. Deviate touches on sensitive subjects and Marley did a brilliant job in writing those scenes.

Courtney comes across
Louise Roach
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely Loved Devastate by Marley Valentine, so was so excited to be able to delve into Deviate, and follow the story of Elliott and Courtney...

This story was full to the brim of emotion and turmoil from the characters. Both characters have suffered such loss, and such tragedies, but being able to share those is hard. Especially for Courtney. If you've read Devastate, you will know some of the back story from the characters and have a good idea of what has happened in their pasts. Personal
Angela
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Valentine has done it again. She has the uncanny ability to take her readers on the emotional feels roller coaster along with her characters. Just like in Devastate Valentine grabs your attention from the first word in the book and you are unable to put it down until you are finished.

Deviate focuses on two secondary characters in Devastate, Courtney and Elliot. These two are both just looking for some fun and to scratch and itch for a little while with no strings attached. It’s not to long befor
Shauna Stevenson
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on behalf of Reading Through Her Eyes book blog.

Courtney and Elliot are friends with benefits who aren’t really friends. They know each other through mutual friends, but rarely communicate outside the bedroom. That was the way they wanted it. Until it wasn’t.

After Courtney gets a scare, she decides that her arrangement with Elliot needs to end. He doesn’t know the reason why she cut him off, but after a few weeks of not seeing her, he starts to miss her in a way he never expected.

Ellio
Sarah Goulding
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reviewing on behalf of Amo's Book Corner.

Deviate is a story centred around Courtney and Elliott and both apparently have their own issues. They have slept with each other before, on numerous occasions, but they have never actually been in a relationship together. In fact, Courtney doesn't do relationships. What's the point when you'll only end up losing them anyway? But another thing Courtney just won't do is open up to Elliott about the real reason as to why she doesn't want to pursue a relatio
Tiffany Brocato
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shew! What a read! Marley has written another relatable story that digs deep into addiction, death, suicide and anxiety. It’s something all of us have experienced one way or another. The loss of a loved one is never forgotten but you learn to cope. Some days like Elliot and Courtney, you experience self pity, hatred and sabotage. You try to find a balance between the real world and the fake persona so no one knows what really happens behind closed doors! Courtney struggled with her own loss with ...more
Jasmina
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
I just can say enough to describe this book, because is so heartbreaking, sad and in the same time so sweet, full of funny moments and most of all, true friendships.

If you never were involved with suicide, this story will not be the story for you. Or you will never understand it or fell it as much as someone who has been involved will.
But for me, who was involved with it this story just broke my heart. In the surface was come the day that someone was doing it. I know the hurt, the memories you t
Lisa
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Courtney and Elliot are friends with benefits and that is all they can be according to Courtney. Both have experienced heartbreak and loss of a loved one. This experience has left Courtney closed off while Elliot is open to more.

Both of their heartbreaks have come from a very similar experience. Courtney is still living the nightmare but keeps that part of her life out of bounds and secret.

I guess I understood why Courtney kept part of her life hidden from Elliot but I didn't like it, especially
Tre Talbot
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Geezus get the tissues out before you even begin because the emotional ride you’re going to be on is intense. This book hits you right in the center and stays there, you’ll feel as though you’re best friends with Courtney and right there with Elliot the entire time. Courtney has the weight of the world on her shoulders and keeps so much to herself as much as Elliot can relate and they can be there for one and understand exactly what she’s feeling. I love the man he is and how determined he is to ...more
Cinzia
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was a bit surprised reading “Deviate” by Marley Valentine, in a pleasantly way, because after seeing the blurb I thought a darker story, instead it's really a beautiful love story. Elliott is the one i loved the most between the two protagonists, he’s sexy, funny but caring and a strong presence in the lives of the people he loves. Court and Elliot, both of them, have suffered, have lost so much, but Elliot is the one who managed not only to overcome the
moment, but also to be supportive for t
Jo
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is an emotionally charged story. The characters come to life as you will experience tbeir every emotion. You will laugh, cry, and more. You will LIVE this book! I did. Marley did it again. A 5-Star can't put down tale that transcends mere writing, this books will keep you glued to it until tbe very end. I wrote this crying still with that knot in my throat. Thank you Marley. One-click this one, you'll thank me and this amazing author.
The Book Cave  (Devon Farrow )
A phenomenal MUST read!!

This book is so beautifully written. Marley brings to light the tragedy of loss and love in the epic love story.

Some know how to share their pain and grief by letting others in to help. But Courtney feels like she needs to carry that weight alone.

Realizing that Elliot wants more than to be friends will she open up to him or leave him in the dark?

Sometimes the truth can set you free or it can break you down. You have to be willing to choose your own path in life and not l
Jackie Deans Zielke
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited for this book for a long time. I couldn't wait to read about Elliott and Courtney, and I was not disappointed. I loved these two together. There love story is sad yet beautiful. I loved getting a glimpse into Lior and Evie's life. Author is becoming one of my favorites.
Maria Angie Mendoza
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Unique emotional read! This touching and emotional story really pulled at my heart strings as serious issues are revealed.
Friends with benefits Elliott and Courtney discover that their arrangement isn't working out.
Why?
Deep rooted emotions, self doubt and secrets surface as they navigate their situation.
Can they have more than a physical relationship.
The writing was great, the story flowed easily and the characters were nicely developed. The chemistry amongst the characters was relatable.
Spunky N Sassy
Spunky N Sassy Rating: 4.0

~~~~~~~~~~Lindsey's ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Review~~~~~~~~~~~

This is an amazing action-packed, suspenseful book. It will keep you on the edge of your seat
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marley Valentine comes from the future. Living in Sydney, Australia with her family. When she's not busy writing her own stories, she spends most of her time immersed in the words of her favourite authors.

Sign up to my newsletter to keep up to date with all my news: http://eepurl.com/df9oBr

And follow me on all the following social media

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorMarley...