Start by marking “Pandora: Outbreak (Pandora Thriller #1)” as Want to Read:
Pandora: Outbreak (Pandora Thriller #1)

Pandora: Outbreak

(Pandora Thriller #1)

BEGINNING OF THE END

They call it Pandoravirus. It attacks the brain. Anyone infected may explode in uncontrollable rage. Blind to pain, empty of emotion, the infected hunt and are hunted.  They attack without warning and without mercy. Their numbers spread unchecked. There is no known cure.

Emma Miller studies diseases for a living—until she catches the virus. Now she’s
Published January 23rd 2018 by Rebel Base Books

To ask other readers questions about Pandora, please sign up.
Eric Harry Yes. It is scheduled to come out in January 2019 and will pick up right where Outbreak left off.

Carrie
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Pandora: Outbreak by Eric L. Harry is the first book in the new Pandora Thriller series. The story is a bit of science fiction fantasy that’s also quite the thriller. The story starts with Dr. Emma Miller being called in to investigate the outbreak of a new virus but when she contracts the virus herself she becomes the one being studied.

After Emma survives the Pandoravirus which kills roughly fifty percent of those that contract the virus it becomes clear that those that survive are changed. Dr.
Judy
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A new virus found while drilling in Siberia has started a terrifying pandemic of the zombie apocalypse type. The virus infects the brain and leaves the victims with extremely violent tendencies, no sense of "self", and no empathy for others. The virus is airborne and spreads at a massive rate.

The book focuses a lot on the science, the philosophical and ethical questions, and sociology (of crowds) and goes into detailed discussions of the various issues and possible solutions, as well as the pre
Kat
Nov 08, 2017 added it
Shelves: netgalley
Trigger warning: (view spoiler)

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for allowing me to read and review this overall well-written zombie apocalypse novel by Eric L. Harry. I absolutely loved the pacing and detail that went into the science behind this. This is the sort of thriller that you cannot put down. A virus from centuries ago thaws in the Siberian tundra and a remote mining camp is infected. Scientists are sent in to determine pathology, including epi
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
This is a tough review to write. I’m always on the lookout for something different and unique in the post-apocalyptic universe. Pandora seemed to tick off all of the boxes; sometimes there is simply a failure to connect the product offered by the author to the product desired by the reader.

I can’t and won’t take anything away from Harry’s skill as an author. Pandora was well-written and had intriguing characters; I had a few chuckles with them along the way.

So what went wrong? Pandora simply did
OutlawPoet
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
They aren’t zombies…are they?

So the author gives us an interesting take on the pandemic sub-genre. His not-really-zombies are extremely interesting. I’d say they lean more toward slightly sociopathic parasites than anything else. He gives us a slower apocalypse and really lets the reader experience the impending panic, the cover ups, and the eventual terror of this pandemic.

Now, the author really thought a lot about the science, sociology, and philosophy behind the enemy here (yes, philosophy an
Maranda
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am not into depressive and doomsday reads so Pandora Outbreak was not enjoyable to me. Although I knew what it was from the synopsis one always hopes for a positive resolution. Knowing this is a series perhaps this will happen in later installments. Characters were not likable nor did any of them seem to posses any heart. "A copy of this book was supplied by Kensington Books through Netgalley with no requirements for a review. Comments here are my honest opinion."
Jacque
I really do enjoy a good apocalyptic story and judging by the blurb for Pandora: Outbreak, it definitely was going to be one. A virus that destroys the brain. Epic battle of survival. There is no known cure. Sign me up because this sounds like it’s going to be epic!

Ummm… So let’s start with I didn’t hate the book. In fact, I rather enjoyed it. It’s always the possibility of what could happen in the real world and how authors like to put their spin on it that what keeps me reading these kind of s
Terri
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
While mining in Siberia, some miners unwittingly unleash the perfect virus for wiping out modern man. Dubbed Pandoravirus Horribilus, the virus infects it's victim who then go on to infect more victims before falling ill from the virus and the infected have a 50 percent chance to either succumb to the disease or live on, horribly changed in most cases. The infected that do survive the initial illness all suffer various degrees of brain damage, all return from illness no longer the person they on ...more
Cheryl
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Pandoravirus Horriblis pandemic hits and hits quickly and devastatingly

Oil drillers in Siberia bring up a virus that's been buried for thousands of years. It's indiscriminating and 100% effective - 50% of its victims die and 50% are brain damaged.

Dr. Emma Miller, epidemiology professor, studies diseases for a living and is sent to Siberia to find out what's going on with this virus. But she ends up being exposed and contracts the disease - and doesn't die.

Professor Isabel Miller is Emma's id
Monica Vines
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I certainly enjoyed Pandora: Outbreak; I've read a lot of apocalyptic fiction, many from the pandemic sub-genre, and this novel is better than many. It's mostly well written, but I have a problem with the fairly frequent use of words like "wanta" and "whatcha" - very unnecessary. Based on the story itself, the characters, and the pacing, it is closer to four stars. However, the misogynistic undertones are very off putting and cringe worthy - "Boys will be boys," short hair isn't for girls, plent ...more
Book Him Danno
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I was really excited to read this book it sound fascinating. Diving right in I found it more depressing than most apocalyptic fiction or pandemic sub-genre books that I have read in the past.
The characters might be likable for some but this reader struggled to connect with anyone of them. The misogynistic undertones that always seem to fall into this genre was too much as was the repetitive words that were used. A good editor could have fixed those quickly.
The series I am sure will have an upsw
Blaire Benson
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-shelf
I love a good viral outbreak end-of-the-world book. Isabel will save the world! Right!?
Banshee
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A new virus makes an appearance in the Siberian tundra after a drilling team accidentally unleashes it. Although Russia and WHO do everything they can to keep it contained it spreads to China then Korea then Europe and finally Canada and the USA. A team of scientists, sociologists and military generals are gathered together to study it. One member of that team is Isabel Miller, who is studying her sister Emma who got infected. Everyone is hoping that by studying Isabel and Emma, who are identica ...more
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
While in Siberia studying a new virus Dr. Emma Miller an epidemiologist is attacked and succumbs to the virus herself. After she makes it through the worst of the virus she is flown home to America where she is taken to a government hospital and put into quarantine. The virus which has been name Pandoravirus Horribilus attacks the brain and leaves the person without any emotions or feelings of pain and the patient can become extremely violent.

Emma’s twin sister Dr. Isabel Miller a neuroscientis
Bob Reiss
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
For old school apocalyptic fans, a new book by the author of Arc Light, should be, well… something. I was a bit surprised when I heard that Eric L. Harry, a man who has released 4 books since his debut in 1994, was starting a series. The set up sounds a bit samesy… A deadly pathogen is released in the melting snow of Siberia that makes people turn violent and attack without fear of pain or death. It’s basically another “it’s kinda like a zombie but not” novel. When Pandora: Outbreak tries to be ...more
Rachel Jordan
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emma Miller is sent to Siberia. She studies diseases and while there becomes infected with a virus which s later called  the Pandoravirus.
Emma is returned to the U.S. where the government wants to study her to see how the virus affects her and her brain in particular.
Isabel is Emma's twin sister and a neuroscientist. She is called in to help with the study.
As the virus starts spreading no one knows how to deal with the Infected as they are known,
and Isabel finds herself torn between family and j
Ian
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
**I received this book free via Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.**
All spoilers will be tagged.

If you are a fan of the virus outbreak genre of books, you should undoubtedly add this to your shelf.
I found this to be a very mature, intelligent and quite original take on the basic pandemic premise.

Pros:
Accessible writing makes the more complex ideas in the book easy to understand.
Very natural and realistically flawed characters.
Fresh take on the genre.

I have only one real con wi
Arely Ayala
I bought this book thinking it was going to be more action packed and i love zombies. Personally this really is not your typical zombie but that was not bad, i liked his take on the zombies and how they came about. But it was to analytical, there was pages upon pages of boring science and political talk that really could have been avoided, it made the book drag and did little to entertain me. There were too many characters to actually get really connected to them. I will say isabel and Noah real ...more
Nick
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent Crichtonesque novel overall. A couple of weak points:

1) the first chapter, the readers first impression and likelihood of continuing, is horrible. I would have stopped at chapter one if I hadn’t previously read Harry, Arc Light, Invasion....it doesn’t introduce the background and main character in a coherent fashion.

2) the overall character development is rudimentary, but that’s a secondary issue. It’s a thriller genre after all, but the deeper Harry can create characterization, in fut
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley and Kensington Books for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

1.5 stars.
The idea of this story is really good. A virus that could wipe out the world super fast. Those infected turned into Zombie like creatures. Sounds great. But unfortunately, there were so many unnecessary parts to this that made it a bit of a mess. So much of it didn't need to be there and was quite boring, with only random moments of scenes that were actually enjoyable. This story had p
Janina s. Asselin
Rooting for the infected

Very interesting premise but not handled well by author. Two main characters, one infected Emma, and one not Isabel. If this is indicative of what will happen i.e. government response shoot me now! What a bunch of immature, whiney, useless characters. Could not care for any of them. The infected were more interesting. Won't waste my time on sequel. Of note, preview of next book had character's name wrong. No surprise there!
George Connelly
May 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A story that had so much potential, fell way short for me. I found I could not wait to get to the end, because I just did not care about the characters. The story drags on with no direction, and the end becomes a cliffhanger for the next book. Sorry, not for me.
Sharon
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Frightening. With each page, this story becomes more and more like a possible future. It starts out grim and gets more frightening from there. I found it impossible to put down. The only problem I had is that it left a cliffhanger.
Wayne Wahl
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic End of the World Thriller

This book is very in depth, well researched and technically acurate.It has a great plot, characters you care about, and a story line that is beleivable, notl at all like some of the zombie dribble I have read.
Anthonia
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good tale about an outbreak that affects and destroys the brain. A good plot and story that was well put together. A must read
Carol
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, dnf
Started off great guns, then just seemed to fizzle. I gave up halfway through.
Ashley
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy as all get out. I went looking for the second one immediatley. Believable? Eh, close enough. Philisophical and thought provoking.
Marci Sanchez
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty obvious but an interesting apocalypse novel.
Josh Chambers
May 05, 2019
Jay Phelps
Mar 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Deadly Shore
  • Cold Heart (Stella Lavender Mystery, #2)
  • A Haunt for Jackals (Seven Cows, Ugly and Gaunt #3)
  • Love & Death in Burgundy
  • As You Lay Sleeping
  • Blood Symmetry (Alice Quentin, #5)
  • The Doomsday Chronicles (The Future Chronicles)
  • Waterfall (The Water Crisis Chronicles)
  • Reborn (Android Chronicles #1)
  • A Wolf in the Woods (Ozarks Mysteries, #4)
  • Battle Hymn (America Rising, #3)
  • Another Man's Ground (Sheriff Hank Worth, #2)
  • Wear White to your Funeral
  • Spectacle
  • The Decorator Who Knew Too Much (A Madison Night Mystery Book 4)
  • ASP of Ascension (Nefertari Hughes Mystery, #1)
  • A Reckoning in the Back Country (Samuel Craddock Mystery, #7)
  • The French Impressionist
Raised in a small town in Mississippi, Eric L. Harry graduated from the Marine Military Academy in Texas and studied Russian and Economics at Vanderbilt University, where he also earned a J.D. and M.B.A. In addition, he studied in Moscow and Leningrad in the USSR, and at the University of Virginia Law School. He began his legal career in private practice in Houston, negotiated complex multinationa ...more

Pandora Thriller (2 books)
  • Pandora: Contagion (Pandora Thriller #2)
“Well, Noah thought, shrugging, natural selection at work.” 0 likes
“That disease in China, it’s real bad. Sell now, before everything tanks, and buy survival gear before it gets scarce.” There was a long pause before the broker laughed. “Sell? At these prices? But hey, if you don’t wanta share, that’s dope. We’re still simpatico, right? Call when you want back in the pahr-tay!” Well, Noah thought, shrugging, natural selection at work.” 0 likes