Start by marking “Beta: Quiet Girls Can Run the World: There is more than one way to be the boss” as Want to Read:
Beta: Quiet Girls Can Run the World: There is more than one way to be the boss

Beta: Quiet Girls Can Run the World: There is more than one way to be the boss

What does success look like? 5AM conference calls and late nights in the office? Winning every argument in the office and always getting your own way? What does a successful woman look like? The shoulder-pad wearing Alpha? The dogmatist who rules with an iron fist?

The reality is far more nuanced. Yet women are still pigeonholed as Alpha boss, or Beta secretary or assistan

Published August 24th 2017 by Coronet

To ask other readers questions about Beta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beta

E. H. Nathasia
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've always been fascinated by the alpha-beta traits. Previously, I've read Sonya Rhodess' book "The Alpha Woman Meets Her Match: How Today's Strong Women Can Find Love and Happiness Without Settling". I was always convinced that I am an alpha. But the test I took in this book proved me wrong, just a bit. I'm a 55% Beta and 45% Alpha.

So, when Alyssa offered me a free copy from Pansing, I am intrigue to know more. You see, before this, convinced that I'm an alpha, I read numerous articles on the
Nia Ireland
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm not normally a great reader of non-fiction, particularly career-guide stuff but I decided to give this a go.

The book starts of strong, defining the difference between the Alpha and Beta women in the workplace and their different approaches. I really enjoyed the anecdotes that the author gathered from what I guess are friends, current and former colleagues. I don't remember any anecdotes from women over 40 though which is a pity because any woman with 20+ years of workplace experience is goi
Jo-Ann Duff (Duffy The Writer)
Beta: Quiet Girls Can Run The World. There Is More Than One Way To Be The Boss

What does success look like for women in the workplace? Is it hitting the gym at 5 am every morning and then going from power meeting to presentation after presentation all day long? Is it working later than everyone else, scowling at anyone else who leaves on time? Can you only be successful if you rule your team by fear and by always getting your own way?

Women in business are far more individual, but the stereotypes
Melissa
Dec 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Starts out somewhat informative, but seems to lose its way. I expected to find more tangible examples of how to be the boss as a beta, but after listening to the audio, I'm at a loss. While I appreciate there are differences between alpha and beta (and I buy Holman's premise it's more a spectrum), I also think there's more than a binary spectrum. Somewhere around the halfway point, much of her tone toward alphas turned outright negative and like an exaggerated caricature, and she often uses ster ...more
Evelyn
Feb 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I thought it might help me understand a beta on my team, as well as myself. While the book seemed interesting at first, that quickly waned; I found it difficult if not impossible to relate to what Holman described: insecurity and Imposter Syndrome to the nth degree. It made me wonder if I’m not more alpha than I think. In the end I think it could be useful someone who thinks and feels the way Holman does, but that’s not me.
Rebecca
If you are female and work, you are probably already aware of everything that’s touched on in this book. It is not so much a step-by-step “how to” manual, as a collection of essays about scientific studies and anecdotes. It would probably be a good read for men who want to be more aware.
Bizzy Day
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Lots of interesting insights into the heart and mind of a 'Beta' manager. Rebecca's experiences really resonated with me and I identified with many of her musings - much of which have been my own at some point!
Elaine Bearden
Have started this - great reading. Don't have time to finish now.
Danae Misegades
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Good pump you up book, but nothing life changing for me.
Jen Eve
Donna Louise
Jan 03, 2019
Alyssa J.
Technically, DNF.

It's not that the book was bad. I enjoyed it immensely up to the point where I decided to stop. It's insightful, funny, and relevant for women today.

However, the way its written just doesn't work for me. I'm not a non-fic/business reader and I found myself struggling to follow the words. If you're not a business reader like me, I think the audiobook would have been a better format to consume this book.

I highly recommend all quiet ladies who feel they can't be a boss to read this
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: (DONE) Combine editions 3 198 Jan 23, 2018 12:49AM
  • Style Your Mind: A Workbook and Lifestyle Guide For Women Who Want to Design Their Thoughts, Empower Themselves, and Build a Beautiful Life
  • Childfree and Loving It!
  • Getting to It: Accomplishing the Important, Handling the Urgent, and Removing the Unnecessary
  • Scared Sick: The Role of Childhood Trauma in Adult Disease
  • It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace
  • Midlife Crisis at 30
  • Think Like Zuck: The Five Business Secrets of Facebook's Improbably Brilliant CEO Mark Zuckerberg
  • The Art of Empathy: A Complete Guide to Life's Most Essential Skill
  • Not the Boss of Us: Putting Overwhelmed in Its Place in a Do-All, Be-All World
  • Make Your Own Rules Diet
  • The Right-and Wrong-Stuff: How Brilliant Careers Are Made and Unmade
  • The Power of a Half Hour: Take Back Your Life Thirty Minutes at a Time
  • Meaningful Work: A Quest to Do Great Business, Find Your Calling, and Feed Your Soul
  • The New Rules of Work: The Modern Playbook for Navigating Your Career
  • Springboard: Launching Your Personal Search for Success
  • How Women Decide: What’s True, What’s Not, and What Strategies Spark the Best Choices
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • The Gutsy Girl Handbook: Your Manifesto for Success