Start by marking “Beta: Quiet Girls Can Run the World: There is more than one way to be the boss” as Want to Read:
Beta: Quiet Girls Can Run the World: There is more than one way to be the boss

Beta: Quiet Girls Can Run the World: There is more than one way to be the boss

What does success look like? 5AM conference calls and late nights in the office? Winning every argument in the office and always getting your own way? What does a successful woman look like? The shoulder-pad wearing Alpha? The dogmatist who rules with an iron fist?

The reality is far more nuanced. Yet women are still pigeonholed as Alpha boss, or Beta secretary or assistan

Published August 24th 2017 by Coronet

To ask other readers questions about Beta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beta

Start your review of Beta: Quiet Girls Can Run the World: There is more than one way to be the boss
E. H. Nathasia
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've always been fascinated by the alpha-beta traits. Previously, I've read Sonya Rhodess' book "The Alpha Woman Meets Her Match: How Today's Strong Women Can Find Love and Happiness Without Settling". I was always convinced that I am an alpha. But the test I took in this book proved me wrong, just a bit. I'm a 55% Beta and 45% Alpha.

So, when Alyssa offered me a free copy from Pansing, I am intrigue to know more. You see, before this, convinced that I'm an alpha, I read numerous articles on the
Nia Ireland
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm not normally a great reader of non-fiction, particularly career-guide stuff but I decided to give this a go.

The book starts of strong, defining the difference between the Alpha and Beta women in the workplace and their different approaches. I really enjoyed the anecdotes that the author gathered from what I guess are friends, current and former colleagues. I don't remember any anecdotes from women over 40 though which is a pity because any woman with 20+ years of workplace experience is goi
Jo-Ann Duff (Duffy The Writer)
Beta: Quiet Girls Can Run The World. There Is More Than One Way To Be The Boss

What does success look like for women in the workplace? Is it hitting the gym at 5 am every morning and then going from power meeting to presentation after presentation all day long? Is it working later than everyone else, scowling at anyone else who leaves on time? Can you only be successful if you rule your team by fear and by always getting your own way?

Women in business are far more individual, but the stereotypes
Melissa
Dec 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Starts out somewhat informative, but seems to lose its way. I expected to find more tangible examples of how to be the boss as a beta, but after listening to the audio, I'm at a loss. While I appreciate there are differences between alpha and beta (and I buy Holman's premise it's more a spectrum), I also think there's more than a binary spectrum. Somewhere around the halfway point, much of her tone toward alphas turned outright negative and like an exaggerated caricature, and she often uses ster ...more
Katie
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Being a quiet woman, I had high hopes for this book, but it was a big let down. I expected it to be a book about how introverted women can succeed at work, but it’s not. Instead Holman creates a nonsensical dichotomy between Betas (people who have the same personality as her) and Alphas (everyone else). In her Beta description, she equates being introverted with being insecure, not put together, not well-dressed, and caring more about work life balance than extroverts. But those things have noth ...more
Peter Geyer
If you're as interested in personality (pick your definition) as I am, then books like this can drag you in to check them out and see what they have to say.

Depending on your education and place of origin, the title "Beta" could imply "better" – at least that came to me just before I sat down to write this review.

The title apparently refers to constructs used by an organisation consultant called called Eddie Erlandson, who I had to look up. I should say at this point that a humble ex-consultant
Kelly Moran
I got 30 pages in and had to stop. This book couldn't decide what it is: a critique on the unreasonable expectations put on women or an alternative to the (apparently real and very obviously present) examples of female success. The title and the description sold me on a book that would describe how being thoughtful, compassionate, and deliberate could be a powerful way to lead. Instead it almost held up the merits of being mediocre instead. I was not inspired to make my personality style work fo ...more
The Book Grocer
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Purchase Beta here for just $8!

A great book to read, not just for the quiet girls, but the loud ones, and men too. Rebecca Holman breaks down the stereotypes and what one needs to command attention and be successful. It will make you reflect on your own personality and hopefully give you some tips as well.

Elisa - The Book Grocer
Evelyn
Feb 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I thought it might help me understand a beta on my team, as well as myself. While the book seemed interesting at first, that quickly waned; I found it difficult if not impossible to relate to what Holman described: insecurity and Imposter Syndrome to the nth degree. It made me wonder if I’m not more alpha than I think. In the end I think it could be useful someone who thinks and feels the way Holman does, but that’s not me.
Anis Suraya
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-development
A book which is authentic & something which you can relate to, with research & interviews with industry experts. It's a light and casual book. For introverts who think 1 million times about not taking that leadership role, you might discover yourself in this book because there's more than 1 way to be a leader ...more
Shannon Murray-Arnold
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the insights of this book, having beta aspects in my personality myself. I was able to relate a lot of what Rebecca Holman discussed about the nuances of personality types and expectations within the work place to the relationships i've observed in professional school, my own various job experiences, and the experiences of others.
Rebecca
If you are female and work, you are probably already aware of everything that’s touched on in this book. It is not so much a step-by-step “how to” manual, as a collection of essays about scientific studies and anecdotes. It would probably be a good read for men who want to be more aware.
Bizzy Day
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Lots of interesting insights into the heart and mind of a 'Beta' manager. Rebecca's experiences really resonated with me and I identified with many of her musings - much of which have been my own at some point!
Ann Withers [jo]
~Personal review~
This was good, and I’ll definitely be reading it again when I start looking for a after-college job. However, there were some snide comments on trump that I didn’t appreciate :/
~Heads up~
Feminism
Elaine Bearden
Have started this - great reading. Don't have time to finish now.
Ashleigh
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Naitasia
Personally, I consider myself an Alpha-Beta.

This is a good read to remind yourself that a lot of the obstacles you find yourself up against were designed that way.
Penny
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting book which resonated with my experience. Validates some of my own observations.
Nandini Singhal
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The language of the author is pretty wierd for people in asian countries. The concept was good to know but i would want a more clear writings.
Danae Misegades
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Good pump you up book, but nothing life changing for me.
Leesa
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Interesting idea but seemed to drag it out for a long time . A lot time explaining the difference between Alpha and Betas but no real suggestions for making progress or changes.
Jen Eve

• Me, Myself, and Us: The Science of Personality and the Art of Well-Being
  • A Separate Reality
  • Love Poems
  • Hayır Demeyi Bilmek: Sağlıklı Sosyal İlişkiler İçin Reddetmeyi Öğrenmek
  • Cum să fii propriul tău psihoterapeut
  • Imparfaits, libres et heureux: Pratiques de l'estime de soi
  • Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life: How to Unlock Your Full Potential for Success and Achievement
  • Patronen Doorbreken: Negatieve Gevoelens en Gewoonten Herkennen en Veranderen
  • Noi vorbim, nu gândim: nouă colecție de perle românești
  • Ghidul nesimţitului