Start by marking “Playing to Win (Brits in Manhattan)” as Want to Read:
Playing to Win (Brits in Manhattan)

Playing to Win

(Brits in Manhattan #2)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
A high-intensity personal trainer
The secret to Brooks’ success as a Manhattan gym owner? Being motivated to disprove everyone who doubted him long ago. He’s not about to let a perky newcomer like Izzy tarnish his reputation. Even if watching her lead a salsa class on his premises is fuel for some very unprofessional fantasies . . .

His beautiful British rival
Every time Izzy
Published February 20th 2018 by Lyrical Caress (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Playing to Win, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing to Win

Sara Oxton
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Playing to Win by Laura Carter a five-star read that will leave you with a winning feeling. This is the second book in the Brits in Manhattan series but I haven’t read the first and didn’t need to have to get this story, I will how ever be going back to read it before the next book in the series is released as I may have just found another fave author. Her writing is great, it shows a talent that you don’t often see. Brooks Adams isn’t your typical broodish bad boy filled with tattoos, he has sp ...more
Kelly Schnorrbusch
This is my first time reading author Laura Carter and likely will not be the last. I breezed through this story quickly as it was told from both main characters' point of view. This is book two in a series but can be read as a standalone.

NYC gym owner Brooks Adams (Silly name alert! Doesn't seem to suit a gym rat from the Tri-State area) is a single father in his mid thirties who managed to make a name for himself by making some smart decisions in hopes of winning back his high school sweethear
Terri
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Review also found at https://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/...

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

This is the second in the Brits in Manhattan series. I enjoyed the first one so much that I was eager to get my hands on this one. No worries if you didn't read the first, this can be enjoyed without. The characters in the first story are only present as a group of friends and in no way do this influence this s
Sarah Dale
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-to-read
This is the 2nd book in this series and I loved it more then the first. I completely fell in love with these characters. I devoured this on one Sunday afternoon, once you start you won't want to put it down.

Oh how I loved Brooks, he was so sweet, he hasn't had a relationship since he was 17, simply concentrating on his daughter and his gym. He never got over his lost first and only love. That is until he meets Izzy. She is everything Brooks despises, she's a privileged and pampered princess. Sh
Layla Sian Rathbone
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Playing To Win is the second book in the Brits In Manhattan Series by Laura.

WOW!!! After reading Balancing The Scales I knew I’d love Playing To Win, but I wasn’t prepared for just how much I’d fall head over heels in love with this story!!!

Brooks is still sporting a broken heart over losing his first love 18 years ago. His life revolves around two things, his daughter and his gym. He hasn’t had a relationship since he was 17 years old, and never gives a woman more than one night of his time be
Caroline F
"I can't decide whether this woman is the best or the worst thing that's happened to me in a long time."

Izzy Coulthard comes from a rich family. She is desperate for success, to prove herself to her parents, and to be independent of them. She's grown up under their thumb and has given up a lot of her dreams but, this time, she's determined to make it. At whatever cost.

"Fighting with her, laughing with her, even at her, is the most awake I've felt in eighteen years."

Brooks Adams comes from a hum
Bec_BookMagicReviews

When Brooks and Izzy meet sparks fly, but that doesn't mean he likes her. However, when they strike a deal to see who has the better fitness regimen, they further lock horns, but their intense competition is also helping her book sales and increasing foot traffic into his gym. Yet, as things heat up between them, will they be able to make things work between them, or will their relationship crash and burn because they're too different?

This was such an enthralling and wonderful enemy to lovers tr
Kristin
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a first for me from this author and she did not disappoint!
I loved this both, I enjoy reading about enemy rivals to lovers. The banter is funny and refreshing.

Brooks is passionate about his gym and daughter cady. He had his daughter young with his ex Alice and always wanted to be a family and never got over her and how she let her family make her choose her lifestyle of being wealthy and keeping her parents happy than a family with him and their daughter.
Izzy is a fitness trainer in sa
Jade Simcox (3 Degrees Of Fiction)
So I haven't read this authors books before so going in I didn't know what to expect, but the author didn't disappoint. The story was different to start with but came a bit predictable at the end. I could picture in my head what would happen next but that didn't make the story any less enjoyable.
Brooks has had 18 years of heart ache, striving to achieve something to his ex and her parents. So they would see him as good enjoy for her and their daughter. He's thrown himself into his work at the g
Bibliophile  Chloe
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Playing to Win - the second book in the Brits in Manhattan series....

This is the first book I have read from Laura Carter, and color me impressed!

This is the story of Izzy (Isabella) and Brooks and what a chemistry they have!

Izzy was a bird in a gilded cage, but wanted so bad to be free, to break the chains of upper crust British family and be her own person, to do the things she loved.  I admired her tenacity and I wanted to shake her when she made such poor choices and bad mistakes! But in the
Justine
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, what a ride that was...

A brilliant addition to the Brits in Manhattan series. I love the writing style of Laura Carter, it’s so easy to follow and it flows really well.

Playing to Win follows the lives of Brooks, the gorgeous tattooed gym owner and Izzy, the English writer and personal trainer trying to escape her parents disapproval of career choice. As soon as these two meet the sparks fly, there’s instant chemistry and they don’t even realise it.

The introduction of Brooks’ daughter Cad
Louise Roach
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great book in the 'Brits in Manhattan' series. I really enjoyed Balancing the Scales, so was excited to receive Playing to Win. And I absolutely loved the book and the storyline, devouring it pretty quickly.

Brooks Adams is a fitness instructor/trainer and owns and runs a successful gym business in New York. He has loads of clients, with a long waiting list, and his gym is the place to be working out.
Izzy Coulthard is from London and heading to the US to promote her new book and work out
Tracy W (Tracy&HelensRomanceBlog)
Oh my word Laura Carter has nailed this book!!

I honestly hands down loved this book so much...Brook and Izzy’s story is without a doubt laugh out funny, I loved the banter and antics these 2 characters got up to...I loved how they had this love/hate relationship but you just knew that they had to be together.

Izzy is trying to prove that she can do it to her parents and goes to New York to promote her new book.....Brook is a fitness instructor with his own gym....from the very start these 2 don
Mrs F
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Confession time... this was my first Laura Carter read, *hangs head in shame*... and I’ve got to admit, she's got herself a new fan!

Playing to Win is the second book in the Brits in Manhattan series, but can be read as a standalone. Whilst reading I didn't feel as if anything was missing or unexplained, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Brooks and Izzy. Ha! I loved them both! They rub each other up the wrong way constantly! They get a kick out of bickering with one another, and we all know what that
Heather Packer
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the push pull in this book! I’m a big enemies to lovers fan anyway so this way probably always going to be a winner in my book but i genuinely really loved it!

I was really excited to read Brooks story and was expecting a little more filled in about his history but he was everything I hoped he would be; completely super alpha! That’s not to say that he can’t and doesnt concede when he’s in the wrong because he does, he’s awesome!

Izzy is a character that’s for sure. She gives as good as sh
Katy Kitchin
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of those reads that you happily ditch sleep just to ‘read one more chapter’. I started this thinking, I’ll just read a couple chapters before I go to sleep because I’m in an insomniac and reading helps me relax enough to sleep but then the next thing I knew it was 3:30 am and I was at 82%.

Sexy, immersive and addictive, Brooks and Izzy’s love story captivated me from the first page and didn’t let go. Through Laura’s books I’ve discovered a major love for Enemies to Lovers romances, b
Tracy
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Ok, I pretty much read this book in one sitting. I couldn't put it down! I actually liked this book better than the first book in the trilogy. I completely fell in love with the characters in this book and I can't find a bad thing to say about Brooks or Izzy! This book has it all. Great characters, single dad, good humour and some steam as well. I truly loved the fact that Izzy was a fitness instructor, kind of like Zumba/Salsa and also the whole healthy eating theme was realistic and humor ...more
Lena
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been looking forward to read this book. I loved the first book ’Balancing the Scale’ of the serie - ’Brits in Manhattan’.
Following Brooks in his gym and meeting Izzy. Meeting the other characters from the first book was also good.
At first Izzy looked like a spoiled brat that let her parents tell her what to do and live her life, despite that she is twentieight. A little bit like Brooks first girlfriend Alice, mother of his child Cady.
Both of them had things to work on - decide how they w
Kia Bunby
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg! I loved Brooks and Izzys story. Their banter was brilliant and I could just picture them in my head. The storyline was really good and kept me wanting to turn the page.
I read the first book in the series Balancing the Scales and that was really good but I think I Loved this story more!!!! (I didn't think that was possible as I Loved the first one!) Laura Carter is a great author and I can't wait to read her next book!
Christina
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, fast paced contemporary romance

I received this book through a Goodreads Giveaway.

Brooks owns a popular gym in New York. His stable life is overturned when Izzy arrives. Izzy is a fitness instructor from London to promote her new book about clean eating and exercise program Salsa Yourself Slim. The interactions of the beautiful Brit and the muscular New Yorker are entertaining as they grapple with their opposing views on fitness and diet. Enjoy the excitement without breaking a sweat.
cupcakes and bookshelves
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgallery
Although part of the series this fun, fast paced contemporary romance could definitely be read as a standalone. Both funny and emotional, the slow burn was frustrating at times but well worth it to watch the story and characters unfolding. The constant battling between the characters was entertaining and I would definitely read more of the stories in this series. Recommended.

*ARC kindly given by author I exchange for an honest review, thankies so much*
Rachel Humphries
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brooks is a successful gym owner with a formula that works.

Izzy is launching her first fitness book & has very definite ideas on nutrition.

When their two worlds collide it is hate at first sight! To promote Izzy's book a competition is born with both of them setting out to prove their fitness method is the best with some unexpected consequences.

I really enjoyed the first book in the series & this book was just as good
Kerry Harper
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A definite winner!

Laura is one of my favourite authors. In my opinion she is the Master of fun, flirty and emotion filled romances. Her second book in the Brits in Manhattan series will not disappoint! Brooks and Izzy's story will have you laughing one minute and hot under the collar the next. Another brilliant read from Laura, loved it.
poppy
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the series and I have to admit I liked it even better than the first one. I just fell for brooks what a great dad and such a sweetie I really enjoyed watching him and Izzy get to know each other they were just what each other needed a super sweet read I really liked it
Steve Bender
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this ebook from a Goodreads Giveaway contest in exchange for an honest review. It was a hot romance about a feisty girl who was trying to satisfy her parents and a man who was still remembering his first love from 18 years before. Good dialogue. Funny. Recommended
Manuela Rathaus-Alper
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Brits causing more havoc in the big apple!!
Hot muscles and cool smoothies as 2 gorgeous people show each other the way out of their own heads, out of their own “past selves” and into new beginnings!
Laura, keep them coming!!!
Meaghan
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
The competition was fierce, fueled by more than just the desire to win a bet. This was fun to read. I want to read more in this series.
Louetta Waters
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A nice little Contemporary Romance that is book 2 in a series, but nicely stands alone. Well written with some laugh out loud moments and I liked the characters.
Sarah Green
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enemy to lovers

What a whirl wind these two go through. Instant chemistry that is great to see blossom from bickering to too hot for each other.
Carrie
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this book from Goodreads Giveaways. Thank you. Just as good as the first book in the series. Can't wait for the third installment !
« previous 1 3 next »
Laura Carter is the international bestselling author of the Vengeful Love series. Her books are available in English and Italian. Laura writes contemporary romance and women's fiction from her country home in Jersey (UKCI), where she lives with her husband and (gorgeous) dog. She loves all things romance, including paper hearts, flowers, chocolates and champagne (not necessarily in that order). If ...more

Brits in Manhattan (3 books)
  • Balancing the Scales (Brits in Manhattan 1)
  • Hedging His Bets (Brits in Manhattan)