Start by marking “The Nothing Girl (Frogmorton Farm #1)” as Want to Read:
The Nothing Girl (Frogmorton Farm #1)

The Nothing Girl

(Frogmorton Farm #1)

Getting a life isn't always easy. And hanging on to it is even harder...

Jodi Taylor brings all her comic writing skills to this heart-warming tale of self-discovery.

Known as “The Nothing Girl” because of her severe stutter and chronically low self-confidence, Jenny Dove is only just prevented from ending it all by the sudden appearance of Thomas, a mystical golden
Audible Audio
Published March 3rd 2015 by Audible Studios (first published May 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Nothing Girl, please sign up.
Y.I. Lee I am also squeamish and would not read anything containing erotica. I also hate bad language and on the whole that was in the bounds of what I could…moreI am also squeamish and would not read anything containing erotica. I also hate bad language and on the whole that was in the bounds of what I could accept.
I would say the romance in the book is tastefully done, and it happens more towards the end of the story.(less)

Start your review of The Nothing Girl (Frogmorton Farm #1)
Veronique
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Re-read in time for sequel

"Don’t stop believing. Ever. Without belief, there is no hope. And without hope, there is nothing. Always believe and then you’ll always have hope.”

Let’s start by saying that this is a brilliant novel! Yes, brilliant. I can appreciate that the blurb would lead you to probably run for the hill (a talking, invisible, golden horse!?) but put your disbelief on hold just long enough to read the first chapters, and I dare you not to be taken in by the captivating
Tami
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites-misc
Fantastic read - I am kicking myself for having had it months on my kindle waiting.

I loved this story.

It was beautiful. It made me laugh, cry a little, fall in love with Russell and his menagerie, and I couldn't put it down.

It has a romance - sweet and sooooo good. But like with the St.-Mary's-series, this novel is character-driven. And it is rich in fantastic, English characters, banter and sarcasm.

I enjoyed this immensely.
Ian
At the age of 13 Jenny's parents are dead and she's living with her evil aunt, uncle and cousins. With a stutter and low self-esteem she is a bully target at school and home isn't any better. Then just as she's about to end it all a magical horse appears in her room and persuades her to go on.

Thomas becomes her constant companion and her only friend. As the years go by she finds a small niche for herself in the attic with her books and Thomas the horse who nobody but her can see. Then in her
may ❀
Recommended to me by: Antonio

The first half of this book had me like, “what is going on? I don’t get it. WHAT IS THIS BOOK?” I was ready to give up on it, but I’m glad I didn’t. The second half definitely made up for that.

The Nothing Girl follows the life of Jenny, who has a terrible stutter since childhood that has caused her to become somewhat of a social recluse. But after she meets and marries an exuberant Russell (in quite a short amount of time), her mundane life turns into a series of
Emma
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jodi Taylor is without doubt one of my favourite authors. And this was a thoroughly charming book. I LOVED it!
Donna
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to read. I'll have to read more by this author. She took every opportunity to add interesting side notes and details without straying off into the land of 'overdone'. Well okay, there was a time or two where it was a little on the wordy side, but I'd rather have that than bland....and this was definitely not that.

I loved the quirky characters, especially Thomas and Russell. They were all well drawn. This was romance wrapped in mystery. Most of you know how I feel about
K.J. Charles
A lovely light comic read about a girl brought up to consider herself of no importance, who marries a man she hardly knows because he needs the money. Of course he has a heart of gold, she has a steel core, they pick up a lovely found family including a donkey, romance blossoms, and the whole thing is ridiculously feelgood and made me sniffle at the end. Some laugh-out-loud lines too.

It is very hard to write light comedy with such effortlessness and this is very good indeed. Slightly weird
Mburrows
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart wept for the little girl. My chest swelled for the grown woman. I would give this book 10 stars if I could. It has touched my soul.
Joan
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love chick-lit. It’s easy to read with little emotional involvement on my part, and in a way its rather like an adult fairy tale. There’s the wicked stepmother, (usually an ex-wife/girlfriend etc) the handsome prince (a lonely/repressed/forlorn and definitely handsome man) and a fairy godmother (the best friend etc). There is usually some humour, a touch of romance (not too much .. this is chick-lit not erotica) and they all live happily ever after. Perfect.

So, here was ‘The Nothing Girl’ –
Antonio
The sign of a good book is that you don't want it to finish and this story will be a personal favorite of mine for ever.
Tissy
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strange but interesting read full of witty humour. The ending however sucked.
Rebekah
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In reading The Nothing Girl, I have discovered a fresh funny voice in relationship fiction. And heaven be praised! She has a back list! I already had The first volume of The Chronicles of Saint Marys on my Kindle for some reason, and, to my surprise and excitement, she has written a sequel to The Nothing Girl, which I quickly bought as well. Hopefully she will fulfill the promise of the first book I read by her. I laughed, I cheered, I cried, I sighed in satisfaction.
I always thought donkeys
Nigel
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having enjoyed some St Mary's stories I thought I'd look at this and downloaded a sample. Read the blurb, decided it really wasn't for me but I wanted something to read for 10 mins before I went to sleep...

This really shouldn't work - Jenny, who has the self esteem of a tea bag!) has a "friend" in the shape of a large horse who no one else can see, touch or hear. She moves from one dysfunctional setting to another among people who are funny, unpleasant or somewhat mad or maybe all three in some
✨ Kaira ✨
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird but cute and a bit annoying but still, cute.
Allie
Jodi Taylor has never let me down!
Jacey
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, romance
I’ve burned through all Jodi Taylor’s back catalogue this year – her Chronicles of St Marys’ books and her historical fiction under the name of Isabella Barclay– but since I mostly read SF and historicals I hadn’t considered reading The Nothing Girl. At first glance it looked like chick-lit, which I’m not fond of, however, I’ve loved all of Ms Taylor’s writing so thought I should give it a try. I’m not disappointed. Having read and thoroughly enjoyed it, I’m not actually sure how to categorise ...more
Janice
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, scribd
I read most of this book during one night of insomnia. It's POSSIBLE that reading the book kept me awake too.

Anybody that reads my reviews know I don't like romance or most love stories. This one was different enough not to trip my "is this a KISSING book???" radar.

Jenny is a shy, stuttering young woman who has been reared by her aunt and uncle after her parents are killed in a car crash. Through a somewhat unlikely series of events, she ends up married to the Manic Pixie Dream Boy, Russell. It
Gina Boyd
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to be friends with Jodi Taylor. I love the worlds and characters she creates, and I want to hang out with her so she can tell me stories and make me laugh.

Someone mentioned that Taylor's main characters have a tinge of the Mary Sue about them, and even brought Bella Swan into the mix, but I don't think that's the case at all. Max (of the St. Mary's books) and Jenny are unhappy people who find their ways to happier lives by finding the place where they can be their best selves; I don't
Laura de Leon

I loved this book.

I adored Jenny. Thomas the invisible golden horse was my favorite character of the year. The book was funny and heart warming and heart breaking and just generally lovely.

I dinged it a quarter of a star for one portion near the end where I obviously misunderstood what was going on, and Jenny's behavior made no sense. I dinged it another quarter star for some of Russell's character flaws that I personally couldn't have gotten past very easily.
Navjeet
I wasn't really motivated to read this book but wow did it surprise me. I loved the simple storyline and how each character was so unique. And then there was always Russell to keep on my toes.
PS. That feeling when you find a book you love is a series and the next book comes out the day after you've finished the previous book!
Louise
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on my kindle. The first couple of pages, I wasn't convinced I would like the story but within a few more pages I was hooked. A number of funny moments. Definitely a light read which was worth the time.
Lady Delacour
Step into the world of
The Nothing Girl and
enjoy an unusual adventure.
This is a well written. laugh out loud,
make you cry, fictional, fantasy,
with a little romance - story.
Narrator Lucy Price-Lewis did a nice job.
Not Clean but, tastefully funny.
Small amount of foul language.
Deb
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another absolutely fabulous book by Jodi Taylor!
Stephanie
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I don't know what I was expecting here, but it wasn't this.
The story of a marginalized woman, who comes into her own and conquers her demons.
I really enjoyed it and am seriously looking forward to the sequel.
☆Jamie☆
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Nothing Girl is my first novel by Jodi Taylor, and was introduced to me by one of my favorite authors. After reading the small sample provided, I was intrigued. I'm glad I stuck with it because I found a funny and quirky read with lovable characters, and even a bit of mystery.

Summary:
Jenny Dove has been known as "The Nothing Girl" for quite some time. With her low self-esteem and severe stutter, she saw no way out of a miserable life with dead parents. At age thirteen she is only just
Shorty
I adore this novel. If you haven’t read Jodi Taylor, please start now. Pick up any one of her three series and have a go at it. I promise that you won’t be disappointed. I’m going to purchase this ebook ASAP.
5 stars, and highly recommend to all.
Sanny
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow. I had NO inkling that The Nothing Girl would be so wonderful! Absolutely incredible. Every morning and evening, when I finished my commute, I had to hold myself back from listening just a bit longer (either sneaking a listen at work, or listening in the house after work). But, I held back so I didn't use it up too soon.

Jenny Dove has always lived a sheltered life, first in a bedroom in her Aunt and Uncle's home, then later in her own attic hideaway. Too fragile to be out in the world, she
MB (What she read)
1st read 10/11/16 4 stars:
Oh, my, that was an amazingly enjoyable read! I devoured it. It is quirky and sweet with amazingly flawed and lovable characters. I absolutely devoured it--staying up way too late on a work night to see how it ended. I loved this and will now be frantically trying to get my hands on everything else she has written.

I've been in a reading slump for a long time...it was wonderful to 'happen' across something that brought back that sheer giddy pleasure of unexpectedly
Snicketts
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
There is a phenomenon in the fan fiction community known as the Mary-Sue in which a writer incorporates themselves as they would like to be. Usually overlooked or unappreciated initially this character , when adversity strikes, finds unknown talents, skills or knowledge to save the day thus proving to everyone the folly of their assumptions about said character. You don't often see it in mainstream fiction, or if it's there it is written in a way that masks what it is. I can only think of ...more
Jill Starley-grainger

• A Bachelor Establishment
  • The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations Book 3)
  • The Silver Mark (Crow Investigations, #2)
  • The Room of the Dead (Betty Church Mystery #2)
  • Fifteen Postcards
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • The October Man (Rivers of London, #7.5)
  • The 13th Witch (The King's Watch, #1)
  • Crossing Over
  • The Mortal Word (The Invisible Library, #5)
  • Toil and Trouble (Modern Magick, #2)
  • The Things We Learn When We're Dead
  • The Last Letter (The Old Curiosity Shop Book 2)
  • Betty Church and the Suffolk Vampire (Betty Church Mystery, #1)
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • Lies Sleeping (Peter Grant, #7)
  • The Lost Plot (The Invisible Library, #4)
  • I Met a Traveller in an Antique Land
Jodi Taylor is, and always has been, a complete history nut. It takes vast amounts of chocolate to get her out of bed for anything after 1485. And if it's raining, there's no chance.

Habitually tongue-tied when asked to talk about herself, she gets round this by describing herself as tall, incredibly beautiful, witty and technically proficient.

The Chronicles of St Mary's -

Just One Damned Thing

Frogmorton Farm (2 books)
  • The Something Girl (Frogmorton Farm, #2)
“The only talents he possessed were delusions of adequacy.” 3 likes
“We walked for a long time in silence. I wasn’t going to nag and I know from Aunt Julia that according to men, mentioning the same thing twice in one decade constitutes nagging, so I shut up.” 1 likes