Start by marking “The Devil and the Deep” as Want to Read:
The Devil and the Deep

The Devil and the Deep

It’s only water, so why should we fear large bodies of it, such as the sea or the ocean? However, when you’re all alone, you realize how scary a place it can be.

In Devil and the Deep, award-winning editor Ellen Datlow shares an original anthology of horror that covers the depths of the deep blue sea. Whether its tales of murderous pirates who stalk the waters in search of
Published February 13th 2018 by Night Shade Books

To ask other readers questions about The Devil and the Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil and the Deep

Start your review of The Devil and the Deep
Char
An anthology built around the theme of the ocean? How could I say no to that? Not all of the stories resonated with me, but many did. And the ones that did- resonated deeply.

FODDER'S JIG by Lee Thomas. Sea monsters, a gay couple and a gold-digging relative. Every time I thought this tale was nothing special, something special happened. I need to read more Lee Thomas!

WHAT MY MOTHER LEFT ME by Alyssa Wong blew me away. Imaginative and bold, I already purchased another story from this author. This
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
The sea coughed us up, but some day it’s going to reclaim us, and there’s precious little that we can do about it.

I have had a fear of deep water since I was a small child, so—as a horror lover who is not easily shaken—nautical horror is one of my favorite subgenres of both stories and film. When I learned that this sea-themed anthology was coming out, I knew I had to get my hands on it, especially after finding out that a few of my favorite anthology authors were featured in it (Seanan McG
Stephen Robert Collins
Ellen Datlow is like the late Peter Haining she finds stories by other authors that fit a theme then puts them into a collection this The sea horror collection she has huge amount of collections from Alien sex, Lovecraft, Dolls, (which I have read), Mad Hatters, Vampires, Science fiction, fantasy, well over 90 books. But unlike Haining she also writes stories too.
This has Christopher Golden of Buffy fame, Michael Marshall Smith & lot more bit unlike many collections she also at the back with all
Tyler J Gray
My favorites of the stories include
Deadwater by Simon Bestwick
Fodder's Jig by Lee Thomas
What my mother left me by Alyssa Wong
A moment before breaking by A.C. Wise
Sister, Dearest Sister, Let me show to you the sea by Seanan McGuire
He Sings of salt and wormwood by Brian Hodge

The rest were various stages of slight dislike/not for me to I enjoyed it. I didn't hate any of the stories.

Overall average is 3.37

Really did enjoy it over all :)
Latasha
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish this book. the stories I read were 3 stars at best.
Anne
And this book is already a Kindle deal - it's only $1.99 right now! May be the best $1.99 you spend this year, so grab one now.

***********************************

This is a wonderful collection. It's not huge - a little over 300 pages - but I read it in one sitting because I had to keep reading. Ellen Datlow is an editorial genius and I can't wait to read another of her collections.

4 stars. Read this if you haven't. I highly recommend it. Ocean creepies! Awesome. Very well written and absorbing,
Lena
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lena by: Spells, Space & Screams BOM
Shelves: audio, anthology
3FE5F33B-C719-45C6-89E9-0FB64C807170.jpg
What My Mother Left Me by Alyssa Wong ★★★★★
“I’m monstrous, beautiful.
For the first time in my life, I feel whole.”

This was painful but good. I’m still choking back rage filled adrenaline over the levels of betrayal. It’s one of those man vs wild stories that let you see who are the real monsters.

Normally selkie stories are of misogyny, ultimate power over your wife. This was modern and brutal.

But it ended well so I’ll forgive Alyssa Wong my palpitations.

378E6A1D-E5BF-46E9-8687-E9466890B02F.jpg
A Moment Before Breaking by A.C. Wise
Michael J.
I approach themed anthologies with caution. In too many instances, the central idea begins to wear thin after multiple stories with the same approach. However, with Ellen Datlow behind the ship’s wheel as editor, I decided to read this one. I trust her story judgment. It was also the winner of The Bram Stoker 2018 Award for Best Anthology Of The Year.

It’s not hard to see why. None of these stories were lukewarm in temperature. Everything met my expectations. Out of fifteen stories ten were abov
Kimberly
THE DEVIL AND THE DEEP: Horror Stories of the Sea, is a collection of 15 sea-themed stories edited by Ellen Datlow.

Most of these stories hit between two and four stars with me, but there were some that I found exceptional or "unique". Personal favorites of mine included:

"He Sings of Salt and Wormwood", by Brian Hodge: I honestly don't believe that I've read a story by Brian Hodge that I haven't loved, to some degree. His language evokes the most impressive images and moods, and his tales always
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this from Edelweiss for review consideration. If you think that affects my review, you don't know me very well.

The Devil and the Deep was an anthology that sounded kind of interesting to me, but I had no true desire to read it. Mostly because I'm still a bit biased against anthologies, even though I've had some pleasant experiences lately. However, when I saw that it was available on Edelweiss  for immediate download, I figured there was no harm in giving it a l
The Scary Reviews
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
More misses than hits inside this one. My review can be read here ----> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1r0 ...more
Fiona
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great collection from Ellen Datlow - short and satisfying horror set around the theme of the sea. Full review to come.
Mike D
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Listen to Ellen Datlow talk about this book on my podcast This new nautical themed anthology edited by Ellen Datlow really blew me away. It is perfectly executed, diverse, and bold in a way that I have come to expect from her work. It contains 15 all original short stories, all of which are solidly written and engaging. The edition starts with "Deadwater" by Simon Bestwick, which is remarkably well done and really hooks you in. It is the kind of tale that you expect to be in an anthology like th ...more
Rhonda
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd heard a lot about this anthology before I read it, and was unsurprised to find it on the Stoker ballot. I think it deserves to be there. The stories are diverse in tone, subject, mood and voice. More than one had an ending I didn't see coming at all but which totally made sense when it did, and there are several I would happily read again.
Carly

description

Average Rating: 2.5 stars

My average rating for one of my most anticipated books of the year was 2.5? Yikes, I am so disappointed.

And look, it's not 100% on this book. As I've been experimenting with anthologies this year, I've gradually learnt that I don't really enjoy short stories.

In saying that, there were two basic criteria's these stories had to adhere too. They were:
a. Set in or near the sea
b. Be scary

That's all I needed from these stories. Maybe I'm harder to scare than I originally th
Phillip Smith
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good collection overall. Some of the more memorable ones include "Fodder's Jig," "The Whaler's Song," "Sister, Dearest Sister, Let Me Show You to the Sea," "Broken Record," "He Sings of Salt and Wormwood," and "Shit Happens." But my favorite was "Haunt" by Siobhan Carrol. Just a tremendous short story.
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I mentioned in my last post about Ellen Datlow how I planned to read more collections edited by her, and The Devil and the Deep is the next one I chose. I have always enjoyed stories about the sea and I was excited by the idea of reading horror stories all themed around the ocean. Sadly I didn't quite get what I wanted but I enjoyed this collection nevertheless. As per usual, I'll be going through the stories one by one.

Deadwater by Simon Bestwick-This was a great story to start with. A woman's
Kazima
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought some of the stories were the weakest of the bunch, which is unfortunate because at first I had to force myself to keep going back to the collection. However, the stories seemed to get better and better, or maybe I just got more and more into it. Probably a combination of both, and at any rate I would highly recommend it!
Shāfiya Mū
May 16, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, horror
DNF @ 58%

This collection is an incredibly boring anthology of stories where most tales aren’t even horror. Some of them have water or seaside settings with very little to nothing to do with the sea, plot wise. They’re also mild sci-fi tales of murder or uneventful epidemics or just fucked-up family dynamics with a one-dimensional twist that’s a half-assed attempt at spookiness and terror.

Since I wasn’t getting what I wanted out of this anthology, I dropped it. I read other reviews of this and i
Alan Baxter
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant anthology from Datlow. I love sea stories and the wide variety included here is amazing. Not every one hit me, but the majority are outstanding and a couple are better than 5 star stories.
Josh Towzey

Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Review forthcoming
Coral
This was really OKAY. It started out with a few very well written, strong stories but the further along I got in this collection, the duller things got, unfortunately. I feel like this happens often in horror anthologies, and it's a real shame.
Airaology
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror

A collection of horror stories surrounding waters! That’s right. Not some horror cliche of haunted houses. This time we’re delving deep into the unknown. Yay! Going into this hoping for some fresh ideas. None of that haunted house malarkey.

Simon Bestwick "Deadwater" -> it opens with a mystery! Death by the beach - suicide? Murder? Self induced death by a super duper drug? Who knows but our protagonist, Emily who is something of an amateur investigator with a tortured past and she unravels the c
Lena
Apr 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am blown away by how many of the reviews for this book are good. Great, even.

Because this is a load of ****. (Insert your favourite, four-letter prophanity.)

The “horror” stories are bland and unmemorable.
But they are worth the one star, sure.

The narrators, however, are not.
There are two, and they both seem to enjoy mocking the different dialects of the English language.
Ms. Kowal’s British accent in the first story is, to my Norwegian ear, not off the charts bad, but it is disgustingly "pos
Jeff McIntosh
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Another good anthology by Ellen Datlow - with all the stories having some connection to the sea. All stories copyrighted in 2018.

As with all anthologies, not all stories appealed to me. Carroll's "Haunt" - which tells the tale of a a ghostly ship haunting the survivors of an earlier slave massacre....was perhaps too historical for my tastes, but a good story nonetheless.

I especially enjoyed Bestwick's "Deadwater", and an ocean inspired zombie apocalypse, Smith's "Shit Happens". "What My Mothe
C.L. Phillips
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Overall, 4 stars. There were a few really poor stories here, most of them placed right up front for some reason. Still, I trudged on, wanting to give each story a shot for its own merit. Doing so was a great pay off, for the last half of the book was especially good.

I wanted to give each story its own rating, since each from a different write. Besides, the only fair way to review an anthology is to review each individual story. So, here it goes.

Deadwater: A female protagonist uses her best skill
Alexa "Naps" Snow
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice collection overall. Enjoyed some, skipped some. I love the seas, water, never thought it could give me the chills but there were stories that reminded me of the dark side of the ocean.
Johan Haneveld
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
7 A collection of horror and weird stories about the ocean - that should be right up my alley. It's no wonder horror authors are fascinated with the seas. The ocean covers 70 percent of our planets surface, and still a lot is not known about what hides in the deeps. As humans we can't stay under water long and there are huge parts of the ocean where we've never been and never will be. The sea is deadly, not because we can drown in it, but also because waves and storms wreak havock on the land an ...more
Brad Hodges
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It’s a natural human tendency to fear the unknown, and our relative ignorance about the sea fosters superstitions, myths, and legends about it and what might inhabit it (sirens, sea monsters, forms of organic life that we can’t even begin to comprehend because the conditions in which they flourish are inimical to human life)." So writes Ellen Datlow in her introduction to The Devil and the Deep, an anthology of horror tales connected with large bodies of water (mostly the ocean). I have no part ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Reddening
  • The Gods of HP Lovecraft
  • The Deep
  • Hasty for the Dark
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter