Start by marking “Only Wrong Once” as Want to Read:
Only Wrong Once

Only Wrong Once

(FBI and CDC Medical Thriller #1)

A sinister experiment outside Aleppo.

Two deaths: one in LA, one in Boston, each with the same horrific symptoms.

A powerful ISIS leader chooses an American-born microbiologist from the University of Damascus and manipulates him into doing the unthinkable: weaponize a deadly virus and recruit American citizens to disperse the disease.

In Charlotte, a lonely banker desperate
Paperback, 1, 378 pages
Published September 30th 2017 by Greyt Companion Press

To ask other readers questions about Only Wrong Once, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Wrong Once

Start your review of Only Wrong Once
Happy Booker
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Only wrong once is a suspense thriller written about a very powerful ISIS leader plotting to kill innocent lives by hiring a microbiologist. He has this graduate to create a weapon, a virus, and to spread it across the American citizens.

FBI agent Quinn Traynor is adamant to stop his massacre from happening. With the help of Madeline Hamilton, he only has a few days to prevent this horrific incident from happening.

When I began reading this book, I felt that it just sounded too close to home. With
Kayla
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-received
Rating: 4.5 stars

Upon reading the blurb for Only Wrong Once, I was reminded of a book that I read last year called Phage . While the story is different in many ways, there's the common thread of bio-terrorism.

Only Wrong Once feels relevant in today's society. Jenifer Ruff expertly weaves a tale of religious men corrupted by hate with the personal tales of  the story's characters.

It took a few chapters for the story to find its momentum, in my opinion, but when it did it certainly took off. Th
D.J. Adamson
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This thriller offers so much more than a terrorist plot. It offers a very possible, chilling terrorist possibility. Engaging characters, this story is suspenseful and intriguing. Bioterrorism is relevant, realistic and scary in our world today. The possibilities of what human beings will do to human beings is terrifying. The story is told from several viewpoints. The value of this page-turner is that the viewpoints add to the terror, tension, and awaiting hope— all the way to its end.

Reviewed i
Wiseask
Jan 20, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It’s a pity that the author’s alleged degree from Yale University wasn't in Literature. On what basis would anyone with a brain and a modicum of taste, talent and education consider this good writing? No wonder this book was offered for free.

Take a look at this excerpt from Chapter Two — and you be the judge:

“Holly smoothed her dress into place and picked up her spiked heels from the polished concrete floor of her office. She inspected the luxurious couch for any telltale stains and said, ‘Pleas
Coco.V
Mar 29, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (3/29/2018)!💝
Dana Trumpower
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a scary concept! I wasn't sure in the beginning of the different story lines, but they came together well as the story unfolded. I like stories that go back and forth between story lines so you want to keep reading!
Christine M.
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This Couldn’t Really Happen, Could It?

Loved this book! Once you step into Jenifer Ruff’s conceptualized world centered on an international bioterrorism plot you will be captivated. ‘Only Wrong Once’ by Ruff is a gripping novel relevant for 2017 and beyond, a real eye opener without sensationalism. Quinn and Maddie’s race against time is told so well, you will ache for the innocent and want to warn the characters of impending danger. Ruff intricately explores the personal and professional relatio
Lillian Cummings
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can you keep your promise this time? Quinn knows that things have been bad at home lately but his job will always come first and Holly can't understand. If only Quinn could let her know what is happening in the world then she would understand how important his job is at the FBI. Quinn is the assistant special agent in charge of counterterrorism for LA and a new threat is about to change everything. Somewhere in Syria a scientist is about to release a virus that could kill millions and it has jus ...more
Julie Howard
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Wow, this book kept me up until the the early hours of the morning because I wanted to hear what happened next, although with a plot line like this is might also have been because of nightmares. In today's world it is a scary thought that something like this could actually happen. Full marks for a great plot line I just hope a terrorist doesn't read it. I liked the characters and the way it jumped from each character so you didn't just have the perspective of the lead agent, you also got to know ...more
Marbea Logan
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful thrilling intriguing and very eye opening information about government agencies. Bio Terror is real, in today's society dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic gives us a little insight on the origin of steps taken in the process of stopping the disease from spreading much worse. The story has many enlightening elements, and the author made sure to throw in some relationship drama so reading wouldn't be a bore with too many acronyms and redundant speeches on Muslim and Terrorism. These are ...more
Rosemary
Only Wrong Once - a review by Rosemary Kenny

But being wrong that once could mean the end of civilization as we know it, as Jenifer Ruff's Suspense Thriller series intro soon reveals, in Only Wrong Once.
When CDC agent, Madeline Hamilton makes an urgent call to Los Angeles, FBI counterterrorism agent Quinn Traynor, it's to reveal finding two victims of a Syrian bio-terrorist's attack -  precursor to the subsequent release of an unstoppable, undetectable deadly virus, that if released will decimate
Alesebrockmann
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent read that tackles the heavy subject matter of bioterrorism. Ruff is brilliant in her execution of a believable and terrifying plot that begins in war torn Syria and ends in the United States.

At the heart of the story are Kareem and Amin, two Muslim Americans who are cousins. Kareem is a bright young scientist with a promising career ahead of him. However, instead, he uses his skills for evil. Kareem tries to radicalize his unsuspecting and innocent cousin, Amin, a naive ban
Kelly
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC by the author and boy what a privilege. From the moment I read the first page I was captivated. I think what drew me in the most were the characters. Well written, complex characters are a difficult thing for writers to master, but Ms. Ruff manages to do so quite eloquently. Bioterrorism is something that chills me to the bone, and this author captures the intensity of such a plot with skill. I was impressed at the research that must have gone into writing a story this in dept ...more
Nicole Ayers
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Only Wrong Once let me mine through lots of controversial issues—a troubled marriage, loneliness, intolerance, immigration, refugees, terrorism—with characters that are easy to find empathy for. And I got to explore the ideas of the “what-ifs,” and how every decision I make can have repercussions I’ll never even know about. I witnessed the high stakes stress of the unsung law enforcement heroes who silently keep us safe, as well as the lonely individuals who are excluded from society and groomed ...more
Paul
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entirely too real

Never mind horror novels. Do you want a terrifying and very plausible story that will keep you glued to the plot from the first chapter?

Simple version: terrorist creates a bioweapon using human vectors to spread it, and unleashes it on both coasts of the U.S. The FBI and CDC are put to the test in the worst ways, and the plot just get more intense from there.

I am a fiend for character development and this author deliver a collection that makes me think she has a real talent othe
Gene Ballantyne
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
But right this time

I am always ready for a good medical thriller and especially one where a mysterious illness threatens widespread mayhem. Building tension and then maintaining it is a subtle art that this author handles very well. You also have to know a lot about the subject matter to maintain credibility and again the author has done her homework. I enjoyed the story, believed the characters and was sorry to see it end. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Allison Maruska
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping!

Only Wrong Once is a "what if" story. What if a scientist engineered a deadly virus? What if he brought it to America? Ruff expertly tells the story from multiple points of view, including an FBI agent, his wife, and the bioterrorist himself, but the perspective I enjoyed most was Amin's, the bioterrorist's cousin. He provided an insight into Muslim life we don't often see in creative works.
Cindy
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frighteningly realistic and encouraging read. Like the author’s style and rhythm. Well explained and better than most I’ve read in this genre. Recommended for those who like terror, Halloween 🎃, and not sleeping fo awhile after a good read. 😲

Lots of info on Islam. Than necessary — we’ve heard it all before and, personally, I’m getting very tired of the current need for authors to indoctrinate America using that tool for this theme.
Nancy Stover
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Ruff never fails to write medical thrillers, that pull you in from page one and never let go.
Only Wrong Once -CDC agent Madeline Hamilton calls FBI counter terrorism agent Quinn Traynor after a Syrian terrorist attack.
The story is told from multiple view points - Quinn, Madeline, as the bioterrorist.
With the covid-19 pandemic going on, it really hits home and makes you wonder if it could happen in the US.
Blair H. Prigg
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FANTASTIC

What a compelling story. This well-written book could actually happen in today's world. Unfortunately, it is not difficult to picture it happening in today's world. I would definitely classify this book as a thriller. The characters seemed so real. I found it almost impossible to stop reading. The author deserves five stars plus.
Don
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read! It is rather scary how things could go if we didn’t have people protecting our six. I at first thought she started introducing too many characters as the book started, but it wasn’t as bad as Clancy. Things started to take shape and move along. I didn’t think she needed to add that flash back (filler). Overall a good book and an author I will read more of.
Deedra
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audible:This was a good book.I found it full of excitement and couldn't wait to finish it to see what happened! Steve Rausch was a fine narrator. I am not sure if I purchased this one or if it was given to me for an honest review...but here is the blurb,just in case. 'I was given this book by the narrator,author or publisher free for an honest review.'
Shari Todd
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eerily current for being written in 2017

A fast-paced page turner that's eerily current reading right now in 2020 during our COVID-19 virus social distancing and isolation. Highly recommended reading for anyone who enjoys medical thrillers and exciting plot lines involving interesting and believable characters. Good book!
Jacob Peled
Great book. I was reading it during the Covid-19 Virus spread in the world, which makes that fiction book , not so fiction. It is my 1st book from Jenifer Roff and I am already hooked, starting the 2nd book from that series.
I loved the detailed description. It is a very fast moving story. No side stories. Page turner. No wander it has such a high rating.
Joann
This book did not flip my boat at all. It was a so so read for me. Why all the great reviews? Different strokes, for different folks. Not my cup of tea. Guess they are free sometimes for a reason.
Dick Whittington
For me, it didn't live up to it's high ratings. Story of a terrorist plot to infect many Americans with a deadly and untreatable/incurable disease causing maximum harm. Did not find it particularly engaging or exciting.
Sandra
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting story for our times. It tells a story of how a weaponized virus could be unleashed on the USA and how the DHS works behind the scenes trying to get ahead of the situation before it is too late.
Mervin O'Sullivan
What a great read. Full of excitement and adventure. This has been written with today's topical events in mind. A little scary when you think how the terrorists think and how things could work out. Once you start reading it will be difficult to put down. I can't wait for the next one to read.
Stephen Clark
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-paced thriller with good characterisation and generally believable protagonists. Quite a bit of the plot was predictable though without spoiling the narrative. I was just left at the end puzzling how Rick died as there was no suggestion that he had opened the shampoo bottles...
Regan Shale
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping

Though terrifying, this was a fantastic read. Even if you don't think you'll enjoy something in this genre, I would encourage you to read this book. It's not too full of medical jargon 😉
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Gamma Sequence (The Gamma Sequence #1)
  • Capitol Break (Chris Collins CIA Thriller #1)
  • Inspired by Murder (Emerald City Thriller, #2)
  • Lethal Incision (Dr. Zora Smyth Medical Thriller #2)
  • A Time For Revenge (Trask Brothers Mysteries, #5)
  • Cupid Stupid (Return To Cupid, Texas #1)
  • Vigilante Dead (Kate Jones Thriller #5)
  • Fatal Demand (Jess Kimball Thriller #2)
  • Presumption of Innocence (David Brunelle Legal Thriller #1)
  • Tribal Court (David Brunelle Legal Thriller #2)
  • Terminal Sequence (The Gamma Sequence #3)
  • The Recipient (Emerald City Thriller, #1)
  • No Cry For Help
  • The Desecration of All Saints
  • Burnout (Jessie Black Legal Thrillers, #1)
  • Wired Truth (Paradise Crime #10)
  • Outcome
  • Super Over You (Super in Love, #1)
USA Today Bestselling Author Jenifer Ruff writes dark and twisty thrillers in three series: the Agent Victoria Heslin series, the Brooke Walton series, and the FBI & CDC Thriller series. Her fast-paced, thought-provoking novels showcase contemporary issues and bring complicated characters to life. An avid fitness enthusiast and hiker, Jenifer lives in Charlotte, NC with her family and a pack of gr ...more

FBI and CDC Medical Thriller (2 books)
  • Only One Cure (FBI and CDC Medical Thriller #2)