Start by marking “Love, Mary Elisabeth” as Want to Read:
Love, Mary Elisabeth

Love, Mary Elisabeth

Eleven-year-old Mary Elisabeth’s life will never be the same. It’s 1924 and her mother has contracted tuberculosis – a deadly, terrifying disease. A far away sanatorium holds the only hope of saving her. Papa takes a grueling job at the shipyards to pay for her treatment. Mary Elisabeth must travel 350 miles from home to begin a new life on her uncle’s farm. Her only conne ...more
Published September 2017 by Christine K. Martenson

To ask other readers questions about Love, Mary Elisabeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Mary Elisabeth

Start your review of Love, Mary Elisabeth
Rebekah Morris
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a delightful story. It wasn’t fast paced or very exciting, but I think that’s what made it so charming. It was full of real life. Written in letter form from a girl who has to live with her relatives because her mother is ill and her father has to work, it tells all about Mary Elisabeth’s life. There are some letters from her father, mother, and some between her aunt and father. Some things made me smile, others were touching, and the ending was perfect.
I loved the note in the back
This was a really sweet epistolary novel about a young girl that goes to live with her aunt, uncle, and cousin when her mother is sick and her father has to work extra to provide. There were a couple of mild expressions (dang and such) but a very clean, very sweet, and often funny story.
Gretchen Louise
Christy Martenson has given us a delightful glimpse into the 1920's in this charming book full of letters from little Mary Elisabeth and her family. If you like the Dear America series or A Gathering of Days, you'll be sure to enjoy Love, Mary Elisabeth. ...more
Mandi
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Our first read-aloud for us to finish & actually all enjoyed! 👏😃 We were staying in the Kettle Falls area for 6 wks when this was recommended to us & it fit our time there perfectly 😊 All of Mary Elizabeth’s escapades kept the kids well-entertained...3 boys ages 11, 9, 6 and a 4 yo girl 💜
Sarah B White
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the story of a young girl's life changes when she had to go live with relatives while her mother was treated

for Consumption at a Sanitorium in Denver. Life changed for Mary Elizabeth but she tried to make the best of the situation. We have letters exchanged by Mary Elizabeth and each of her parents. The daily life with Mary Elizabeth and her relatives she lived with is highlighted in these letters.

Read this wonderful story of Mary Elizabeth's life during a hard time for a young girl
Hannah
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-to-teens
It's not often that I get "lost" in a children's book anymore, but "Love, Mary Elisabeth" did it for me. This novel is written in such a charming, captivating voice that you can't help but feel you're right there, actually reading Mary Elisabeth's letters (it's an epistolary novel, and a very realistically executed one -- not stuffy or impractical at all). You'll pick it up, you'll fall in love, and you won't believe that this is Mrs. Martenson's FIRST novel! ...more
colleen strong
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book!!

This book is incredible! It brings drama and suspense and hysterical laughter. I loved reading it and the best part is that it is real! Real people and events! I would highly recommend this book. This is the second book by this author that I've read and I can't wait to read another one!
Brenda Gates
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delight

This is a delightful story, all told through letters between a young girl, Mary Elizabeth, and her parents. Her father is off working to help pay for the sanitarium and medical needs of her mom, so Mary Elizabeth moves to her aunt’s farm. The antics she describes had me chuckling often and warmed my heart throughput.
Marilyn James
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good Christian book

The story is very good about a difficult time in a family 's life and how they wrote letters to get through it and trusted God to help them.
S.K.
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love epistolary novels! Mary Elisabeth is a delight
Emily (emilyreadsbooks)
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Set in the Pacific Northwest, this charming novel is reminiscent of the Dear America books I so loved in grade school. Instead of diary entries, Love, Mary Elisabeth is comprised of letters written by eleven-year-old Mary Elisabeth and a few of her family members. Mary Elisabeth is a city (Seattle) girl who goes to live with relatives on a farm while her mother recovers from tuberculosis and her Papa works in the shipyards.

Christy has captured the joy of a childhood spent navigating the triumphs
Julia Burford
Nov 07, 2018
Dec 16, 2018
Donna Borgerding
Feb 11, 2019

• Scrumptious Independence (Merriweather Island #2)
  • When I Was You
  • Byrd's Eye View (Meddlin' Madeline Mysteries Book 5)
  • Knox (The Montana Marshalls, #1)
  • Tate (The Montana Marshalls, #2)
  • Mackinac Island: Its History in Pictures
  • The Two Mrs. Abbotts (Miss Buncle, #3)
  • Ski Nurse Mystery (Cherry Ames, #27)
  • Dreams of Glory (Penny Parrish, #2)
  • Pegeen
  • Awaking Wonder: Opening Your Child's Heart to the Beauty of Learning
  • Ellen Tebbits (Ellen & Otis, #1)
  • The Swan King
  • Courting Mr. Emerson
  • The Duke's Refuge (The Leeward Islands, #1)
  • Double Jeopardy
  • Mercy's Fight
  • Beck: a fairy tale
Christy Martenson lives in rural northeast Washington state. She has been married to her husband Keith for over 35 years. Together they homeschooled their two now grown daughters.