Start by marking “Infinity Wars (The Infinity Project)” as Want to Read:
Infinity Wars (The Infinity Project)

Infinity Wars

(The Infinity Project #6)

CONFLICT IS ETERNAL

We have always fought. War is the furnace that forges new technologies and pushes humanity ever onward. We are the children of a battle that began with fists and sticks, and ended on the brink of atomic Armageddon. Beyond here lies another war, infinite in scope and scale.

But who will fight the wars of tomorrow? Join Elizabeth Bear, Indrapramit Das,
Published September 7th 2017 by Solaris

To ask other readers questions about Infinity Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infinity Wars

Start your review of Infinity Wars (The Infinity Project)
Lindsay
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
The inherent problem with a serious anthology of military science fiction is that a lot of the fun of that genre is in the mindless jingoism of humans beating up implacable aliens or what's essentially Hornblower-in-space fan-fiction. If you don't want to indulge in those more entertaining elements of military SF, what's left tends to be all fairly grim.

Notable exceptions for me in the "hell of war" atmosphere were what I felt to be some of the best pieces in this collection. These include:

"Face
Laura L. Van Dam
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first compilation from the series that i have read, and it has some very good stories. I love scifi but my experience with military scifi is very limited. Anyway, I enjoyed this selection; there are some old acquaintances here such as Aliette de Bodard, Garth Nix and Elizabeth Bear, and some authors that are new to me but i will definitely put on my TBR list such as Caroline Yoachim and Indrapramit Das.
The majority of the authors are female and that´s maybe why most stories deal with
Miloș Dumbraci
Oct 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
very lame and generic stories.
not really military scifi, either.
Alex Sarll
No connection to either Marvel story of very nearly the same name, but the latest anthology in Jonathan Strahan's Infinity project*, this time with a theme of future war. An interesting one, because of course military SF is already its own thing, and one which with obvious exceptions (not least John Scalzi) largely happens in a Baen/Puppies ghetto off on the far side of the genre from the diverse, Tor-friendly roster of writers here. And I think the reluctance to write anything which could even ...more
Keith
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again a superb, thought provoking collection

Wow! Stunning collection of shorter SF stories exploring future wars , soldiers and wars impacts. The target time frames range from tomorrow to hundreds of years away and the writing is all excellent and several outstanding. Two of the standouts are by E. J. Swift and Peter Watts and, I repeat, to me there are no weak stories.
Jonathan Strahan has, again, curated, a superb collection of stories peering into the future. Be warned, they are not nice
Rachel
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
This is a better book than my three stars. The stories are generally very well written and the authors include some of my favorites, like Nancy Kress and Carrie Vaughn (both of whose stories I liked a lot). I was surprised by the number of female protagonists and feminist/egalitarian viewpoints. But military SF is not really my genre, and I had to force myself to read some of the stories, however well done.
Jamie
Jun 20, 2022 rated it it was ok
I was hoping for a lot more from this anthology. None of the stories stood out and they're so bland and dull that I didn't retain much of an impression after I finished the volume. There wasn't a single story in the entire set that actually caught my interest. ...more
Natalie aka Tannat
There were a lot of duds in this collection but a few good stories were mixed in. My favourite was "Conversations with an Armory" by Garth Nix. ...more
Lucía Xochimitl
Jun 03, 2022 rated it liked it
Soldiers fighting forever, with no rest but death... when they can get there
Daniel
"Infinity Wars" is the sixth installment of an ongoing anthology series by Jonathan Strahan. Unfamiliar with the previous ones I found this addition very unsteady in terms of quality.

One of the general problems is that most of the authors use their genre's traits in a very superficial and obvious way to portray social or political commentary which very often leads to over-exposition and makes the stories feel cheap and obvious. There is rarely any sublety here instead we all too often get our no
Joe Karpierz
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The sixth entry in Jonathan Strahan's Infinity Project, INFINITY WARS, explores what war would be like in the future. That, however is such an oversimplification as to be misleading. There's military science fiction, and then there's the type of military science fiction as depicted by the terrific 15 stories written by some of the best in the science fiction field that are included in this volume. The stories here are largely character driven, and focus on the impact that war has on its particip ...more
Chris
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
*copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

Infinity Wars is the sixth collection of short stories in Jonathan Strahan’s ‘Infinity’ series. I’ve read several of the others, and found they contained some good stories, so I was quite hopeful going into this one. There was a decent mix of authors who I was aware of and those I’d never read before, which always helps.

Infinity Wars is about the future of war. The scope ranges from alien invasions at interstellar distances, down to the human cost of
Lia Cooper
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
ARC received from Netgalley for an honest review. Full review coming soon.

Average rating 4.1*

Very cohesive, thoughtful, diverse collection. Compulsively readable, disturbingly relevant stories that I and would highly rec this to sci fi (especially military scifi) fans.

Individual Story Ratings w/ my initial thoughts:

Evening of the Span of Their Days, Carrie Vaughn *4 (good little story)
The Last Broadcasts, An Owomoyela *3.75 (interesting neuro atypical character)
Faceless Soldiers, Patchwork Ship,
Ralph Blackburn
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Infinity Wars, Jonathan Strahan Ed.- Part of Strahan's Infinity book project, he delivers glimpses of possible futures and speculation in the "If This Goes On" vein. As with most anthologies, no everything is going to please you, but there are some gems here. I was especially taken by Aliette de Bodard's "In Everlasting Wisdom" which displays a deeply subjugated society at war and the humble practitioners of who, along with their alien implants, whisper gentle lies to keep the population in chec ...more
N.T. Kova
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved Infinity’s End and I’m loving Infinity Wars.

Military science fiction often gets a bad rep. However, this anthology shows that, just like most labels, it is woefully inadequate.

There are such diverse story themes in this anthology: economic inequalities, censorship, AI , and much, much more.

Of course, not every story is a hit, but even those that I found a tad drawn out, were interesting and had good characters.

I think my favourite story so far (I’m about half way through) is Dear Sarah
John Purvis
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
"Infinity Wars" eBook was published in 2017. This collection of short stories are from several different authors. What they have in common is War.

I have to say I was not a fan of this short story collection. I read about half of the stories in the book, then quit. I like military science fiction, but these stories did not grab me. I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I give this short story collection a 2.8 (rounded up to a 3)
Rt
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
High-quality collection of mostly nearish-future sf, including some infowars as well as post-ecocollapse resource wars. Includes Carrie Vaughn, Nancy Kress (very Kress-ian tale of a young, uneducated woman who signs up to get out of her town and ends up fighting people like the people she grew up with), Elizabeth Bear, Aliette de Bodard, Garth Nix (I liked it—a sentient armory gets woken up mid-battle); Genevieve Valentine (colonialism on a new planet), and Peter Watts (my favorite of the bunch: ...more
Chris Bauer
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the best anthologies I've read in years. Just fantastic story after story. I admit I was expecting more "space kablooey" works, but the theme of the collection is not focused on hard core action, though more than a few stories have that in spades.

They are rather about the consequences, character changes and decisions made in such times.

While they were all good stories, a few were worthy of individual callouts:

Dear Sarah, Nancy Kress
Tim Hicks
Oct 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Strahan's aways good.

First, this is SF about military themes, not the "military SF" that's all powered battle suits, ten-mile-long dreadnaughts full of Space Marines, led by hard-as-nails leaders called "Gunny," with aliens mowed down like dandelions every few pages. This is about ordinary people (well, they started out ordinary) whose job happens to be war, and we're seeing a day in the life more than a mighty war-pivotal battle.

There are quite a few "hmm, never thought about that aspect" them
Liz
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting look at the theme of war in SF. I enjoyed the scope of the antho, although war stories aren't really my thing in general. Standout stories for me were: Nancy Kress - Dear Sarah, Garth Nix - Conversations with an Armoury, and EJ Swift - Weather Girl.
Two voice actors for the audio version meant that there was usually a switch in voices between each story, which helped them be separated.
Patrik Sahlstrøm
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Solid anthology of military related SF. Don't make the mistake of expecting MilSF, with sweet explosions and civillians safely off-stage. These stories (at least the ones I liked) are dark and gritty and shows the horrors of war. Some of the short stories are a bit meh, but that is balanced by those of the stories that are brilliant. Recommended! ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
This has stories by some authors I recognized and some I did not. The stories are short and not always complete. They give a small look into the lives and action of different people in different but similar circumstances. A nice to to pick up when you want something quick to read.
Simon
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recent Reads: Infinity Wars. The latest in Jonathan Strahan's Infinity Project anthologies offers a sideways take on military SF. This is not the usual suspects, and so goes in very different directions. A recommended read. ...more
paul engel
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lot of interesting stories.

Really enjoyed the book. A lot of entertaining and enjoyable stories. A good read overall, especially if you are short on time to dive into a full length novel.
Alexander
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very strongly recommend. Garth Nix's 'Conversation with an Armory' is especially great ...more
Alf
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Most of them are okay. I would buy the book just for Peter Watts’ “Zeros” story.
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017

Review forthcoming
Steve
Dec 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Poor. Yet again I bought a book on the basis of the Kindle sample only to learn that the sample is the best bit.
Steve Scanlan
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is not the equal of the previous books in the series.

Meh.

• The Burglar Who Met Fredric Brown (Bernie Rhodenbarr #12)
  • The Hunter (Parker, #1)
  • Fletch and the Widow Bradley (Fletch, #4)
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • What Moves the Dead
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • If This Book Exists, You're in the Wrong Universe (John Dies at the End, #4)
  • The Spare Man
  • A Desolation Called Peace (Teixcalaan, #2)
  • Uplink Squadron (Uplink Squadron #1)
  • The Emerald Tablets of Thoth the Atlantean
  • Night of the Mannequins
  • The Low, Low Woods
  • Midshipman Henry Gallant at the Academy (The Henry Gallant Saga Book 9)
  • Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000
  • Into the Breach (Rise of the Republic #7)
  • Welcome to Night Vale (Welcome to Night Vale, #1)
  • Spring Into Scifi

The Infinity Project (7 books)
  • Engineering Infinity
  • Edge of Infinity
  • Reach For Infinity
  • Meeting Infinity
  • Bridging Infinity
  • Infinity's End (The Infinity Project)