Start by marking “Asrian Skies” as Want to Read:
Asrian Skies

Asrian Skies

Avery Rendon is weeks away from realizing her dream as a Commonwealth fighter pilot when planetary politics intervene. Reluctantly, she returns to her home planet of Asria, still hoping to break free of her controlling family and their faith. Not much has changed on Asria though, and after her almost-fiancé walks out on her, she’s not sure life can get much worse.

She’s wro
Published September 2017 by Catherine Wheeler

To ask other readers questions about Asrian Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asrian Skies

Lexine Higgins
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie-books
**UPDATE** (26/04/2018)

It’s been a few months since reading this but the story hasn’t left my mind. I’ve found that I go back to thinking about it a lot, because I really enjoyed it. The characters truly stood out for me, especially the villain, and I think I was too harsh with my rating. I’m not afraid to admit that. I’m still new to rating books and sometimes I go back and review the ratings and change them.

I’m changing my rating from 3.5 to 4 stars. I clearly enjoyed the story more than I or
Shannon Hiner
Asrian Skies, by Anne Wheeler, is a Science Fantasy novel set on the fictional planet Asria, rife with political intrigue, spies and the potential to become one of my favorite new series.

In my attempts not to spoil this story I may, at times, come across very vague. I apologize, but please know this; I highly recommend you read this story for yourself. With the understanding that you trust me and my recommendation, I am treating this review with care toward your reading experience. It required m
J.E.
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
This was a well written, Sci-Fi, political thriller. The characters were solid. There were a few good twists and turns, and it ends on enough of a positive note that it leaves you feeling hopeful, but leaves enough loose ends to be sure that more books will not feel out of place.
There were a few negative things in my view in this book, but they were so few that they really didn't disrupt the story at all. And most of them are cliches that are well used in the genre and that you cou
Meghan T
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve fallen madly in love with this world and these characters! (Ok, I may even ship two in particular.)

Wheeler has crafted a compelling and intelligent protagonist in Asrian Skies, her debut novel, and possibly an even more compelling and manipulative antagonist.

Avery Rendon wrestles with her responsibilities and path in life, along with her beliefs. All she has wanted to do is fly spaceships away from her home planet of Asria. Away from her responsibilities there. Even away from the love of he
Jennifer M
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow - what a wonderful story! It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. There were moments I wanted to cry, others I wanted to laugh, and times I just wanted to punch the antagonist in the face... except that he could harm me so much more for it...

There is so much I love about the story. First of all, character. The MC and protagonist, Avery, is well developed and has a wonderful arc. She had my sympathy right from the start. I was excited by how well I got to know her and how real she
James Kemp
Asrian Skies is an awesome novel, reading a lot like Elizabeth Bear and Ann Leckie. There's action, politics, tension, space opera and a very personal story of a young woman trying to work out what she wants and how to deal with the responsibility thrust upon her. The book is really well written, and the characters multi-dimensional, especially the antagonist where we can see the underlying humanity that his inhumane interrogation somehow works around.

Asrian Skies is set in a universe where huma
Cheyanne Lepka
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This character-driven space opera had me losing sleep and almost walking into traffic (I know, reading and walking is ill-advised but I couldn’t put it down). It’s fast-paced, with the stakes being constantly raised and the world feels so very real, without being overbearing.

It’s written with from a close 3rd perspective, and the voice is masterfully done. The main protagonist is so real and complicated. She’s faced with competing desires and responsibilities and it’s easy to relate to her on th
C Moudry
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story is amazing. I love to read especially if it's a good story. This story is great, the characters are real (ok, so there is one I'd like to slap, but that's me), the plot is great, and it takes off and there is never a dull moment. I don't know how the author met these characters, but you can tell she knows them well and they communicate with her.

Avery is a young woman with big responsibilities thrust upon her. How she meets them is not always easy but she perseveres.

Loved this book.
Janelle Garrett
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a truly unique read. It wasn't quite what I expected, but not in a bad way. Where I tend to think of sci-fi books as super techy and adventurous (which it was), this leaned more political. The first half of the book dragged a bit, but it set up the world and the political structure so that the second half could actually mean something. About half way through the book, the stakes are raised and the action begins to take shape and the story really pulled me in at that point.

The characters
K.L. + Pierce
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first heard about this book, my impression of Avery was that she was a pilot, a princess, and a spy. When I heard that combination I was thinking “how the heck does that work?” I will admit that Wheeler made that combination not only make sense but made it integral to the plot and Avery’s character. Avery is very complex and does not want to be tied down by the politics and suffocating lifestyle of her world. She tries to escape through a commission in the Commonwealth’s military. But due ...more
Sarah Krewis
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I purchased this book (paperback for my husband and the kindle for myself) so we could read it during his deployment. Unfortunantly, he did not get to finish it, but I did. The beginning was a little hard for me to get into and it could have just been the time period I was trying to read it in. No fault of the author.

Once I picked it back up and restarted it, I was hooked. I read it in three days.

Asrian Skies is a space opera set in a world far above our own. The reader follows the Main Charac
Mario
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Major stakes, pulse-pounding moments, a kick*ss heroine I actually like. Add to that some rather smart writing, struggles both personal and world-spanning in scope, and a finely crafted antagonist. Good sci-fi can be quite refreshing and this just felt right.
The story is thrilling and carried by compelling characters. It can feel quite edge-of-you-seat at times but moves along well enough that it never becomes overbearing. It just keeps you wanting to figure it out.
I liked Avery and I liked th
C. Frank
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good read, once it hit its stride. A little slow to start for my tastes (which is why I gave 4 instead of 5). Interesting characters, fascinating world. The casual sci-fi reader will enjoy this, but hardcore fans may want more. Even still, there's enough subtlety and hints at the larger world that it keep you intrigued and hungry to find out more. Great world-building and interesting subplots, if occasionally a little moody for my tastes, but that's totally a preference thing.

All in a
Cassandra **The Bibliophagist**
This cover is stunning in person! The amount of detail in it is amazing! I love the contrast of blues and blacks. It truly depicts a wonderful outer space image. Let’s not forget about the font color choice. Anne did not settle for a simple flat color, she chose an ombre effect. This color effect to me imitates the changes characters go through. I know that was not the intention and I am digging too deep, it was merely aesthetically pleasing, but it can be symbolic as well.

This story begins with
Beth Wangler
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounding up to 5

I read this book for the #AuthorBookClub on Twitter, but had been eyeing it for a while.

A problem a lot of speculative fiction faces is building the fictional world through "info dumps." That was not the case with "Asrian Skies." With a narrator who already has extensive knowledge of the world, Wheeler avoids offloading too much information at any given point by trusting her readers to put the picture together from hints that are skillfully woven in at the perfect time
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Overall I enjoyed this book. Technically it was well written with some good characterization. The first part of the book was a bit too drawn out for me and the background of the main character leading to the point in time where the story starts I felt was little bit rushed and sparse (her military background). There were times where I also felt that the protagonist acted younger than what her age in the book was. She sometimes came off as a misguided and fearful teenager rather than a twenty-som ...more
Josiah
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Pretty entertaining sci-fi novel with a good number of plot twists to keep the story interesting. Could have done with a stronger theme, but that's my impression of most modern fiction I read. Huge fan of the book cover.

Rating: 3.5-4 Stars (Good).
Betty
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Home

Avery had always wanted to fly then just as she was ready to be commissioned she was called home. War and occupation .she is r?easy to protect Home.
Annalisa Ely
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable political intrigue, with well-considered twists and turns and a number of likable and complicated characters. I'm looking forward to getting into the next book.
Janet Sketchley
Avery Rendon needed special permission to leave her home planet, Asria, to join the interplanetary Commonwealth forces as a pilot. Asria’s government has many restrictions, especially for a member of the royal family. Add to that her doubts about her culture’s faith, and she’s happier elsewhere.

Naturally she finds herself back on Asria, embroiled in all she wanted to escape—and then things get worse. When Asria is invaded, she must do her part to fight the oppressors without pushing them far eno
Meowzabuth
Phoebe Ritter
Jun 23, 2018
Sarah Green-Hart
Jan 24, 2018
Anne Wheeler grew up with her nose in a book but earned two degrees in aviation before it occurred to her she was allowed to write her own. Fascinated with space travel from an early age, science fiction was a natural fit. When not working, moving, or writing her next novel, she can be found planning her next escape to the desert. A military spouse, she lives in Georgia with her husband, son, and ...more