Start by marking “The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride” as Want to Read:
The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride

The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride

• A manifesto for the reinvigorated Software Craftsmanship movement: how to become a better developer and deliver better code • Offers exceptionally practical and actionable advice on improving software quality and project success rates • Reveals what Software Craftsmanship means today, and why it's more important than ever • The newest book in our internationally-respecte ...more
Published by Pearson (first published December 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Software Craftsman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Software Craftsman

Start your review of The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride
Rod Hilton
First, some context. I'm really big on the "Software Craftsmanship" movement - I'm signer #227 of the Software Craftsmanship manifesto, and my business card says "Software Craftsman and Computer Science Geek" because I think that's the phrase that delivers the best bang-for-the-buck in terms of getting across what I'm all about. Moreover, while I liked Pete McBreen's original 'Software Craftsmanship' book, I didn't love it, and I've been looking for a book that I'd suggest as the first book to i ...more
Adam Parkin
This book frustrated me. I once had the fortune of seeing Sandro give a talk at the Software Craftsmanship North America (SCNA) conference in 2013, and found his talk uplifting, and inspirational. As a result of that, when I saw this book had been released it was an "instant buy" for me.

Ultimately though I was incredibly disappointed by this book.

I wanted to like this book. Rather I wanted to *love* this book. And honestly, much of what Sandro espouses in this book I agree with and believe. But,
Andreea-diana Cristei
I started reading this book when I first heard about the Software Craftsmanship concept but I wasn't prepared to really understand it so I don't remember how but I abandoned it. Later on, after 5 years, 2 workshops on Crafting Code and Crafted Design and several pass-it-on for those workshops, I picked up the book again and everything made sens. It was such a pleasure to be reading it after the workshops as many, many references were found in the book. I was scared I was reading it too fast and ...more
Victor
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-tech
I've been reading blog posts by Sandro and watched his talks for a while now. I've learnt a lot on his Crafting Code and Crafted Design courses. So I had high expectations from this book. It didn't disappoint. The book delves into the many aspects of software craftsmanship, from technical practices to recruitment, interviewing, career progression and creating a learning culture.

I agree that most organization focus too much on process-oriented agile and often ignore the technical practices. This
Harshini Nawarathna
This is a must read book by all the software developers. It probably contains everything you need to know. If I summarize my take away from this book, the author suggests us to blog, read books, follow technical websites, use social media and know who to follow, practice programming everyday by trying Katas, having pet projects, contributing to open source, take part in user group and community activities and more pair programming. He also highlights the values of TDD, use of continuous integrat ...more
Deiwin Sarjas
Kind of meh. Because I already agreed with a lot of what was said, I don't think I learned a lot from this book. It's a good book, but I'm not its primary audience.

There were, however a few nuggets about interviews and high level career plan that I think were valuable to me. For example, the practice of involving junior devs in the interview process is something that I'd like to try.

I was annoyed by the grammatical overuse of "to".
Adam Parkin
This book frustrated me. I once had the fortune of seeing Sandro give a talk at the Software Craftmanship North America (SCNA) conference in 2013, and found his talk uplifting, and inspirational. As a result of that, when I saw this book had been released it was an "instant buy" for me.

Ultimately though I was incredibly disappointed by this book.

Pap Lőrinc
Motivating book with good advice on how to improve your career!
* Similar to The Clean Coder;
* Explains problems and solutions with Waterfall and Agile;
* Goes to great lengths to draw the advantages of XP practices;
* Methods for crafting your career path;
* What it means to be a Craftsman - somebody who loves details, design and work and plans for long-term;
* Coding has become a social activity - reading, pairing, katas, open source, going to events;
* How a really good job description should look
Nicola
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This could be a useful book if for people who don’t have much experience working in the software industry, or those have only worked in organisations that develop software in a waterfall style. It provides a reasonable overview of how software craftsmanship should and could work on an individual and company basis, for example giving ways to constructively deal with deadline pressure and ideas for improving hiring practices. However, anybody who knows a small amount about agile development practi ...more
William Anderson
*edited*

I came back to change my review of this particular book. At first it feels like an in-your-face reality check, but I think the author truly lets his pride get in the way.

This book is a piece focused near solely on selling TDD as the end-all-be-all of programming tools. Perhaps worst of all though is Mancuso's intensely masculine and patriarchal tone. SImply using feminine pronouns when referring to unknown subjects doesn't cut though the deeply embedded culture of toxic masculinity in co
Mani Sarkar
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, compact and has many things you want to know. Besides the community was involved whilst it was written hence lots of good feedback went into it as well.

Its also a good reference book if you are new in the area.

I read some parts of the book multiple-times.
Alex Cuva

Great book, Sandro share is experience in his book. This is an inspiring book, I would recommend to who seek to be a professional developers. I would even recommend to read to everyone out there thinking their are senior, master developers !!!
Erkan Erol
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Passion. That summarizes it all. Software craftsmen are passionate about software development and their profession.
==========
Being a craftsman doesn’t mean you are superior or better than any other developer. When a developer calls herself a craftsman, she is just stating the values and professional attitude she has. But that doesn’t mean that developers who don’t call themselves craftsmen don’t have the same values or attitude.
==========
Being a software craftsman is about more than just waking
Toni Tassani
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: safari
Sandro explains his own professional story, sharing some war stories easy to identify with, and shares his view of the Software Craftsmanship movement. Well written, entertaining, and easy to read, and also full of recommendations. The target audience is software developers curious about Software Craftsmanship and people who already call themselves Software Craftsmen, but it is very far from being the book that brings this ideology and lifestyle (in the words of the author) to wider audiences, a ...more
Francois D’Agostini
I am quite sold on agile methodologies and focusing on great codes. So the concepts discussed in this book where quite familiar.
However, What I liked is the emphasis the book puts on the importance on the job of a developers. I’ve seen so many people around me trying to move forward with their careers by just moving as a management role. I really felt that development was not a good career to pursue. Even myself I was « proud » of starting a position as an architect.
But eventually, I was not hap
Johnny
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Software Developers
I’m not that happy with the term „Software Craftsmanship”. That said, the book by Sandro Mancuso is great. I can’t remember that I ever marked so many parts of a book as I did with this one. Sandro explains what a professional developer should care about in a way everyone can understand. Not with fancy words but in a way you can adapt on a daily basis.

I like his points on that we have to do more than write software that just works. It has to fit in the big picture of the company and when it is
Rafa de Castro
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about professionalism and how some people understands the profession of software development. A really inspiring read.
Julio Sanchez
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has inspired me BIG! I feel lucky to be in this industry, I will never give this profession for granted and will always aim for bettering myself every single day. Thank you, Sandro.
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite reads when it comes to working in software development. Disclaimer: I am a Business Analyst, not developer. So I look at it purely from the side of working in 'IT' and the value of crafted software to other team members and the 'business'.
Nevertheless, I feel this is an excellent read for ANY (especially junior) IT worker, and find that especially the anecdotal examples are very helpful.

Let me give you two examples: Last week a friend (a strategy consultant) complaine
David
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is like having a technical Software Craftsmanship coach (although I'm sure he would prefer to be called a developer) in a book format.

I was already a subscriber to the Agile ethos, but didn't know that much about the Craftmanship movement. There are lots of different pieces of advice in this book. Several reviews have said that some of the advice seem to stray slightly outside of the general Craftmanship advice, and more into the author's personal experience. I don't have much basis of comp
Richard Peat
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently we undertook an agile transformation and changed around our job descriptions at work, and the term "software craftsmanship" was added to all the software engineer job descriptions - this book written by the founder of the London Software Craftsmanship Community, someone whose whole company is based around software craftsmanship.

First off, this is very clearly a manifesto, almost evangelical in places. Agile Coaches and Managers come in for some criticism, along with a number of parts of
Julio Enrique
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was my first contact with the Software Craftsmanship concept and it help me discover that being a craftsman is not so far of my day to day actions towards software development.

First of all is not a technical book, it won't teach you how to do TDD or properly refactor your code. Is more about mindset or philosophy. It will teach you how a software craftsman behave in his every day job, how he thinks about his career, the kind of relationships he establish with his teammates, etc. The b
Javier Castillo
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy a lot this book. I feel identified on some of the stories that Sandro relates. The first time I knew about the book, I was thinking it was a technical book or strongly related with Software Craftsmanship techniques. Instead, it is a great behavioural/professional book. Even when my intention is not to became a Software Craftsman (It would be great), I found a guidance to point my professional career aiming to work in organisations cares not just in theirs customers, but cares and take in ...more
Vasile Tomoiaga
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book not only for developers but also for managers. We may have been developers once, and we could recognize most of the problems that Sandro experienced (BDUF, use of GoF design patterns just because why not, intentionally obfuscated code etc) and now we suddenly see a new trend among our best developers. This trend is craftsmanship and it's a good one. We will learn how to work with them, how to guide aspiring craftsmen and how to guide our entire teams, introducing the craftsm ...more
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to any junior developer. Hell, I'm thinking this is a good read for everyone new to a job, as some of the underlying principles really apply to any industry. Having said the latter, it is developer centric, so may confuse the non initiated.
I am a Product Owner / Business Analyst and have been in the industry for over a decade, but still found it an interesting, at worst confirming, at best inspiring and thought provoking read.

Yes, at times it can come across a bit pr
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Yes, at times it can come across a bit pre
Teodora
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I particularly enjoyed the author touching some sensitive subjects like making an interview meaningful, the different types of skeptic personalities and some ideas on how to approach them and how to keep a professional attitude in delicate situations. Other than this, I found the content to reflect what should be common sense but often isn't. I recommend this to any software developer, regardless of her seniority.
DANIEL
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think is a really good book, that in some way it has been misunderstanding. There is a movement anti-craftmanship against this kind of philosophy to consider it elitist.
For me, this book helped me out to be a better professional, not only regarding the code per se, but regarding companies which are hiring, improve the interview skills, etc.

I recommended this book to every software engineer. Read it and take your own conclusions.
Julissa Dantes-castillo
The book is very clear.

Covers a lot of issues anyone involved in the development process may notice. It changed a lot of misconception I had about my career, and the best part is that when they mention a problem it also points out several solutions. A very complete guide I must say.

And until I read this book I never noticed how good it feels when you see the pronoun "she" everytime the author refered to the SC.
Amanda Szampias
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will rate this a 5/5 based on impact. It made me decide to search for a new job and question where I was going in my career. Chapter 8 and on were my favorite.

It seemed like Mancuso would be hard to work with. I didn't like the chapter that categorized people or his attitude about "9 to 5" developers. He never said "or maybe I'm wrong"! I don't like how he put down managers.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • Clean Architecture
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • A Philosophy of Software Design
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Software craftsman, author, co-founder of Codurance, and founder of the London Software Craftsmanship Community (LSCC). Sandro has been coding since a very young age but only started his professional career in 1996. He has worked for startups, software houses, product companies, international consultancy companies, and investment banks.

During his career Sandro had the opportunity to work in a good

News & Interviews

“Software craftsmanship is a long journey to mastery. It’s a mindset where software developers choose to be responsible for their own careers, constantly learning new tools and techniques and constantly bettering themselves.” 2 likes
“How it is done is as important as getting it done.” 2 likes