Start by marking “Avi Cantor Has Six Months to Live” as Want to Read:
Avi Cantor Has Six Months to Live

Avi Cantor Has Six Months to Live

Avi Cantor Has Six Months To Live

Avi comes across these foreboding words scrawled on the bathroom mirror, but what do they mean? Is this a curse, a prediction, or a threat from Avi's emboldened bullies? And how to they know his real name when he hasn't even told his mother yet?

Then there is Ian—the cool new guy at school, who is suddenly paying attention to Avi. Ian is jus
Published August 22nd 2017 by Book Smugglers Publishing

Start your review of Avi Cantor Has Six Months to Live
Nina ✿ Looseleaf Reviews ✿
How was such a short story such a trip? Cause let me tell you, in 70 pages, I had feelings.

Avi Cantor is a quasi-magical story of a high-schooler mid-transition. While he has told no one his name--Avi--the words, "Avi Cantor has six months to live" appear on the bathroom mirror at school. What Avi assumes is an uncanny new bullying technique turns out to be a lot more complicated.

Without spoiling this beautiful story, let me tell you, that summary, while accurate, is not what the story is about.
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: gay trans Jewish mc, gay trans li, wlw trans mother, wlw mother, Black side character

this was so sweet & soft & quite possibly introduced the gayest family i have ever known
Shira Glassman
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Trans author Sacha Lamb shows us a love story between two trans teenage boys, with elements of magical realism. The main character is Jewish, depressed, and not out to school or mom yet, and speaks to us through a series of highly relatable confessions that feel like he's snuck inside your head and saying what you'd say if you were in his place. I'll let Avi's narrative voice provide their own testimony to the prose's strength:

(This paragraph made my heart do somersaults through so many emotion
Lindsay
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Avi Cantor Has Six Months to Live": words written on a bathroom mirror using a name no-one is supposed to know. Avi hasn't come out yet and is still living his life as April, but people seem to know the message is about him. Depressed, a bit strange and a loner with problems at home, it's easy to believe. But then Avi meets Ian, another trans teenager and his wonderful and magical family. But despite the brightness that he brings into Avi's life there's still a countdown.

Two trans boys falling
Xan West
The publisher gave me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this so much. I don't know how its possible that a book centering a trans boy getting bullied & feeling suicidal can actually feel appropriately light and warm & hopeful but this book totally manages it. There are so many good people on Avi's side, caring about him and wanting him to survive and seeing him for who he is, throughout the story, that even with the difficult content, it still felt so hopeful and warm
TheBookSmugglers
The latest - and final - novelette in our Gods and Monsters season. This is Gay YA, about a Jewish trans boy who is struggling with depression and bullying, finding acceptance and love with another trans boy - it features awesome lesbian moms, a super great friendly demon, hilarious kisses and a happy ending.

Goodreads reviewers who want a review copy, send me a message!
Justine
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read, novella
A wonderful story about two trans boys falling in love. I loved the way the story touched on the emotional processes of recovery from depression, of finding and feeling worthy of love and life, and the myriad emotional complexities of transition. The added fantastical element was a lovely touch.

Deftly written with an endearing humour, this is a gem of a read.

“Neither of my moms are technically witches,” he says, primly. “We are just a highly intuitive family. With, uhh, an especially fine-tuned
Kuzu
Aug 16, 2017 added it
I wrote this and I think it's pretty good!! Maybe you will like it too!! 💖✨🌈✡️✨💖
Dahlia
The magic in this one is not my personal thing, but I loved the writing so, so much and immediately tweeted at the author to make sure he has more trans boy YA coming, because lord knows we need it and I think his voice is just A+.
Dov Zeller
Something about this book. The tensions between controlled and careful prose and storytelling and absolute conversational ease--and a poetry that comes not from one or the other, but from the places they meet and the places they wrestle. I couldn't put Avi Cantor down and though it hurt a bit too much in moments, because of all the emotional intelligence, and a touch of cruelty between people who care for each other, the vivid portrayal of a relationship in which there is a great need for tread ...more
Skye Kilaen
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 0-genre-ya
A dark but ultimately hopeful YA novella about suicidal gay trans Jewish boy Avi and how his life changes when he meets sunny, optimistic gay trans classmate Ian. Avi is deeply unhappy, prickly, often cruel as a way to protect himself, but he also desperately needs the completely different world Ian offers him access to, with warmth and family acceptance and love. Not a spoiler: having these things offered to you doesn't mean you can immediately reach out and take them. Loved the magical (and ot ...more
Iona Sharma
Jun 05, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
I had heard many good things about this! But it's kind of disappointing. Avi, the main character, is a Jewish trans boy in some unidentified US high school environment, who meets another another trans boy called Ian and they (sort of) fall in love. The thing is, Avi is Jewish, and trans, and suicidal, and that's kind of it. He doesn't seem to have any other interests other than those, and not really those: we hear about his Jewishness as a fact, but not why it's important to him (he skips school ...more
ayşe
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, 2018
4 stars!

“It’s better to make life out of life, right?”

I knew nothing about this story before I read it, two friends mentioned it to me, so I thought it was about time I read it, and I'm so glad I did.

Avi is a high school student who one day finds the words "Avi Cantor Has Six Months to Live" written in the school bathroom. It could be more pointless cruel bullying he receives, or it could be a warning. The message also brings the kind and beautiful Ian into his life. It's as it describes: "A ro
M
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a lovely surprise. The Jewish rep, the trans rep, the depression rep in general was so delicious and enchanting. This has magic tied up with transgender identity mixed with family and belonging and makes you ceave so many hugs. Just. The best thing I've read recently with any trans rep. Also it has a really cute (if a bit messy) mlm romance.
Cameron Sant
UHHH did you all know that you can read this for free here??? https://www.thebooksmugglers.com/2017...
Because I did not!

You can tip the author here! https://ko-fi.com/eggrabbi

Also at the beginning of the story the trans guy hits on the protagonist all like, "Hey, you're trans too, let me buy you coffee," and I'm like "wow rude" but I'm also like "I've probably totally done that at some point in my life"

Also I'm totally here for trans for trans stories
Helen Hnin
This was beautiful and hopeful. I enjoyed it immensely.
Also, how is this story only 70 pages? It felt so much longer than that.
sarah y
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i read the first three paragraphs of this and IMMEDIATELY texted it to everyone that i know. if i were to give this an endorsement i would say it's mandatory reading! for everybody! so so good.
Claudie Arseneault
tw for suicide ideation, school bullying, transphobia

I've meant to read this for ages, and it turns out it was much shorter than I thought, so I just binged it! For all that it deals with heavy subjects, AVI CANTOR is a super sweet and hopeful YA romance between two trans boys and I really enjoyed it. Definitely recommended. <3
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, lgbt-m-m, lgbt-trans
This lovely short story is free here. I'd highly recommend giving it a read ...more
Fabulitas
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
It's very sweet, pity that the magic stuff isn't as well done as the teenage stuff.
sofia
This is such a sweet, captivating story about two trans boys falling in love and summoning a demon and y’all should read it.

Avi and Ian were so easy for me to love and root for. This story leans into the grumpy one falls in love with the sunshine one trope, and I adored it. I also have so much more appreciation for this story after reading this blog post by the author. He put into words a lot of the things that I appreciated about this story, particularly the usage of emotional atmosphere, which
Helena
This was such a cute read and here's a list of reasons to read it:
- It features two cute trans boys in love
- The mc is Jewish and there are lots of jokes about it
- One of the boys has two mums, one of them who's also trans and the other is Latinx (I think?), and a black sister. They're the softest family ever and I want them to adopt me and give me cookies.
- There's magic!!!! And nice demons that give you cupcakes
- FEELINGS EVERYWHERE
- This sole dialogue:
“Neither of my moms are technically wi
Anna Hepworth
This was a delightful, quirky, slice of life queer teen romance with a side order of Judaism and magic. I loved the way much of the story was handled, even the bits where the two main characters don't quite manage to communicate well. And it is the kind of story that would bear reading again, just to get the nuances.
Max
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this so much I almost made myself late for work reading it. I loved it so much I immediately went and bought a copy for Kindle so I could have it on my phone for whenever I want to reread. I loved it A LOT.
Raz
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4,75 stars

Warnings: suicide ideation, misgendering, deadnaming, casual ableist language
Morgan Goolsby
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book between the hours of midnight and 3 in the morning, and absolutely loved it. Then I read it again the next day when I'd had more than two hours of sleep in three days, and I loved it even more. Avi is a well written character who I liked at the start of the story and loved by the end of it. I will say I had a fondness for Avi already as I'd been able to see the author post about him online some, but the story itself and being able to see Avi in action really solidified that.

And
Alpacapanache
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an optimistic story about trans boys, a demon, and so many fantastic moms. Read it. It's free. You have no excuses. And you don't even have to worry about thanking me for it. It's worth an hour of your time. <3

You can read my review here.
Lulu (the library leopard)
Excellent voice and wonderful balance between heartbreaking and uplifting!
Nicole Field
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story blew me away. It's such an important short piece of writing, and it has so much going on.

For starters, there are teens who are transgender, one of whom is getting significantly bullied at school.

There are also alternative family dynamics. Avi gets brought quickly into Ian's family, which is made up of two mums (one cis, one trans) and a younger sister. Some of these characters are people of colour, but not all. Avi basically becomes a second son, but it quickly becomes clear that thi
Tani
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely lovely. Read for free here.

I loved this for a couple of reasons. The biggest was the very strong emotional connection that I felt with Avi, almost from the very first sentence of the story. He's a very wounded character, and for me, that always make me want to wrap that character up in a blanket and soothe them. Since I can't actually do that, I am left with simply reading obsessively.

The second big draw for me ended up being the romance. I thought it was incredibly sweet, a
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Beneath the Dead Oak Tree
  • Necessary Rebirths: A Collection of Poems + Prose for Awakening
  • Winter Soldier: Second Chances
  • Iron Man: Armor Wars
  • The Life Of Captain Marvel (2018) #1 (of 5)
  • Great Women of the American Revolution

News & Interviews

“Neither of my moms are technically witches," he says, primly. "We are just a highly intuitive family. With, uhh, an especially fine-tuned sense of impending doom."

"Mine too," I tell him. "It’s called being Jewish. Doesn’t make me magic.”
5 likes