Start by marking “The Queen of Sorrow (The Queens of Renthia #3)” as Want to Read:
The Queen of Sorrow (The Queens of Renthia #3)

The Queen of Sorrow

(The Queens of Renthia #3)

The battle between vicious spirits and strong-willed queens that started in the award-winning The Queen of Blood and continued in the powerful The Reluctant Queen comes to a stunning conclusion in The Queen of Sorrow, the final volume of Sarah Beth Durst’s Queens of Renthia trilogy.

Published May 15th 2018 by Harper Voyager

Start your review of The Queen of Sorrow (The Queens of Renthia #3)
Emily May
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, arc
I suppose I'll need Jastra's plan after all. Pity.
It would have been nice to avoid murdering anyone.

I have really enjoyed this series. I came to the end of The Queen of Sorrow and, aptly, felt a lot of sorrow at having to leave these characters behind. At least the author's note promises a standalone set in the same world - in Belene this time - so I will get to return to, and explore more of, Renthia.

I'm not sure why these books have a fairly modest number of fans compared to other fantasy
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
The Queen of Sorrow is the third and final book in a very good fantasy trilogy focused on several strong women, queens of neighboring countries with the ability to control and direct the wild nature spirits that inhabit those countries. It’s a crossover YA/adult book and series that I recommend! *some spoilers for the two prior books*

There are currently two queens of the country of Aratay: the younger Daleina has most of the experience and knowledge; the older Naelin has most of the raw magical
Maggie ☘
A satisfying conclusion to a unique, lovely but also slightly dangerous fantasy trilogy.

As always, I loved the world and how it expanded throughout the series, and am very interested to visit the island of Belene in the additional companion novel The Deepest Blue.

Although, to be a bit more critical: I did think the storyline of this one was not as good as in book two, or book one for the matter. I thought it was a bit weaker at some places here, plus (view spoiler)
Taylor
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I'm allowed to have new dreams.”

...

The Queen of Sorrow is the final book in The Queens of Renthia series, and I can say with confidence that this is one of my favorite series of all time.

I'm continuously baffled as to why these books aren't talked about as often as other popular fantasy series. The Queens of Renthia has everything you could ever want: beautfiully written action, a female-driven plot full of politics and suspense, compelling world-building, and characters you can't help but ador
Mogsy (MMOGC)
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, review-copy
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/05/17/...

A couple years ago when I picked up The Queen of Blood, I had no idea it was going to grow into a series I would enjoy and love so much. Two more books later, the Queens of Renthia trilogy is now complete, and what an incredible journey it has been with this strong cast of powerful, fascinating women and the world of dangerous spirits in which they live.

In the first book, readers got to meet Daleina, a young Queen candidat
Jessica
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
Wildly unexpected and absolutely perfect ending to the trilogy. Sarah Beth's world-building is impeccable as always, and her characters are wonderful. Even when they're horrible and you want to slap them, they're so real they're still wonderful.

If you love fantasy and you haven't read this series yet, you are doing yourself a real disservice. It's adult, but I would readily give this to an older teen.
Dianna
May 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was disappointing. I have multiple problems with the book, but the main one was that the author was leading up to something kinda cool, but it never happened and things just went right back to the way they were, with a queen in charge of each kingdom.

The first half of the book focuses on Naelin's children getting kidnapped by Merecot in her second attempt to take control over Aratay. Understandably, Naelin is extremely upset but eventually calms down and is convinced to solve it throug
Justine
DNF 48%

While I enjoyed the first two books of this trilogy, I am really struggling with this last book. I'm almost halfway through and it still feels like things are floundering and the story doesn't have much forward momentum. I am reluctantly calling it quits on this one.
Lindsay
The conclusion of the Queens of Renthia trilogy sees the Queen of Semo again attacking the country of Aratray, this time by kidnapping the children of Naelin, with predictable consequences. Naelin will do anything to save her children and she's so powerful that Daleina has no chance of restraining her. But the Queen of Semo has a plan and boundless ambition, and both of the other Queens maybe playing into her hands.

Finally we see more of Renthia than just the forest country of Aratray and we get
h o l l i s
My head loves how The Queens of Renthia series unfolded post-book one.. but the problem is my heart is frustrated. Durst has crafted a very unpredictable series that blends YA elements with adult fantasy, violence and death, betrayal and hope, sacrifice and self-interest. She's created incredibly layered characters; so layered that they are so real and therefore not always likeable or easy to deal with. The main trio are the queens : our villain is sympathetic, the nurturer is hyper-focused with ...more
Amrita Goswami
Ari
This might be a case of "it's not you, it's me", as I couldn't read it in one sitting and I felt disconnected from the action and the characters mainly because of that.

Also, the ending did not work for me - don't get me wrong, it's where I rooted for the characters to get after all the struggle, but in a way it seemed that all the plot up until then (regarding a particular important character in particular) was - in a way, pretty much - pointless. Not to mention convenient.

On the good side, I s
Lucie V.
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It has been so hard to finish this book with the back to school rush... This is probably why I gave it 3 stars, I could not get into the story as much as I did in The Queen of Blood or The Reluctant Queen. I am pretty sure that I will enjoy The Queen of Sorrow more when I take the time to read it again when I have more time so it won't take me three weeks to finish it.

This series was a very nice discovery for me, I enjoyed it more than I expected and I am sad to leave the characters behind, but
Colleen Houck
Loved this conclusion to the series. There were a few things that surprised me. Bane's backstory was particularly interesting and I'd love to read a prequel someday about him. I also loved how Daleina handled Merecot. It was very well done and showed just how queenly she's become over time. This world is a really fun one to explore and I hope we'll get to see a bit more of it someday. ...more
Aya
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
The Queens of Renthia: 3

Ugh. I really don't like stories with realistically whiny children. I don't find it understandably cute or adorable, just extremely annoying. This is a frustrating read having to put up with Naelin's out of control rage and grief, which are blinding her to her greater responsibilities. Daleina again takes a backseat in this story pretty much, unfortunate, because I find her the more likeable character. Naelin prioritizes her children over all else every single time - a go
Rissa
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The queen of sorrow 4.85⭐️

LOVE THIS SERIES!
We follow our newest queen and her reign. I love seeing how she rules and the way of the spirits and all the problems along the way.

You have too many queens.
We have too many spirits.

Husbands and new loves, finding her children and ruling the kingdom.

From The humor and drama, down to the unique magical world its just beautiful.
Catherine
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adult, 4-stars
1) The Queen of Blood ★★★★☆
2) The Reluctant Queen ★★★★☆

"It would have been nice to avoid murdering anyone."

This trilogy is an underrated gem in the world of fantasy and if you're reading this review and haven't read it yet, get started! I won't remind you of the amazing world-building, magic system, characters, the great writing and storylines, I already talked about it in my previous reviews and you can find the links right above.

To be objective, while this third book is definitely great and a
Betine Leesih
It's official: This is One of the series that I love the most!

I love these characters SO much that the biggest problem with this book is that it doesn't have more of them together. I wanted to see a lot more of Dailena and Ven, they are perfect, she is one of my favourite characters ever! She proves that is not power what does a good and strong character and he is so good when they two interact.

This book is a little slower pacing than the first two in the series, and the immersion in the world b
Tammie
Queen Daleina has yearned to bring peace and prosperity to her beloved forest home—a hope that seemed doomed when neighboring forces invaded Aratay. Now, with the powerful Queen Naelin ruling by her side, Daleina believes that her dream of ushering in a new era can be realized.

And then Naelin’s children are kidnapped by spirits.

Nothing is more important to her than her family, and Naelin would rather watch the world burn than see her children harmed. Blaming the defeated Queen Merecot of Semo f
Courtney Stofko
I feel like two stars is kind of harsh, but I honestly don't think I could rate this any higher than three stars.

I've always felt that Sarah Beth Durst's writing is kind of weak compared to some other authors I've read, and throughout this series, I've always debated with myself whether to continue the series or not.

What has always brought me back is Daleina. I absolutely love that the person who is not the strongest, is not the most powerful, but is actually the hardest worker, the most intuit
Cindy ✩☽♔
This cover is lovely! The blue hues are absolutely perfect. I might hold off on starting the second book until close to this book's release date.
---
Loved the first book, own the second (TBR), so 99% I am gonna buy/read this lol
Bridget Vollmer
This was so underwhelming and the ending was just bleh. There were just too many unresolved questions for me to give this a higher rating.
Kelsey
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases
Review to come.
Miranda
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, adult, fantasy
Brief thoughts before my lunch break ends: I love that this fantasy series, a genre typically full of men writing about men, is completely driven by women and mothers. That alone makes up for a lot of the trilogy's faults.

I do wish there had been more queer representation than what we got at the 63% point of book three, and they only had two or three scenes together before they were kissing. Not Durst's finest writing.

Some of the world-building, especially at the end here, was not fleshed out we
Taryn
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That ending didn't wrap up quite how I wanted it to, but this is a really great fantasy trilogy and the narrator for the audio version is one of the best I've heard in a long time. ...more
Lara
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018, fantasy
I'm a little torn on this one. While I didn't love it or the second book quite like I did the first, I still think the world and the characters and the unexpected ways in which things play out are kind of amazing.

The relationships between Daleina and Merecot and between Hamon and his mother kind of parallel each other in a lot of ways and I found them kind of delightful. I like that every character (with the possible exception of the kids) are complex and feel fully real and complicated. I gene
Ashley
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
***contains spoilers***

I was sadly disappointed in this book. I LOVED book 1, and book 2 was a bit of a letdown, and now book 3 just made me unhappy. I do not care for Naelin. I didn’t like her in book 2 and she’s even more obnoxious in this one. I have a kid. Obviously I love said kid. But the way she obsessed over her kids is just overkill. (Literally. She kills the land because she can’t control her emotions and lets them influence the spirits, who destroy Aratay.) The whole main plot of the
Fi's Journey
"Before the beginning, we were called by the Great Mother of Spirits to shape this world, seed this world, breathe this world to life." (Spirits of Renthia)

I felt there was so much going on in this last book of the Queens of Renthia series. After a year of finally finishing it I found it interesting to see the characters in a different new light.

Daleina who was our main character in the first two books is still going strong in this book, the same goes for Ven (champion) and Hannah (head mistres
Ariana Fae
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As much as I didn’t want it to end, THE QUEEN OF SORROWS was a stunning conclusion to Sarah Beth Durst’s The Queens of Renthia trilogy. Durst amped up the action and emotional depths of her characters in this last book, especially with my favorite character Queen Naelin.

I loved Naelin’s part in this book. Durst does a brilliant job of plunging us into Naelin’s anguish, rage, and fear when she discovers her children have been kidnapped by Queen Merecot, and a mother’s determination and sacrifice
Nora Martinez
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
UPDATE: The spinoff book to this series, titled The Deepest Blue, will be published March 19th, 2019!

**5 stars**
Sarah Beth Durst gave me everything I wanted from this final installment of The Queens of Renthia and then so much more.

I want to start out by saying that there's no author I admire more than the author that can take several steps back from their ego to acknowledge important criticism that's relevant to how marginalized people enjoy fiction. The author that can stop and say to themsel

• Fortress Draconis (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #1)
  • The Sword of the Shannara and The Elfstones of Shannara
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons, #1)
  • Heart of Stone
  • A Queen in Hiding (The Nine Realms, #1)
  • Hall of Smoke (Hall of Smoke, #1)
  • The Empire of Gold (Daevabad Trilogy, #3)
  • The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
  • The Part About the Dragon Was (Mostly) True (Heloise the Bard #1)
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
  • Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)
  • Unfettered II: New Tales By Masters of Fantasy (Unfettered, #2)
  • The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)
  • A Broken Queen (The Nine Realms, #3)
  • La Nouvelle(s) (Elles, #1)
  • Desert Tales (Wicked Lovely)
  • The Wave Vol 3   The Green Book (The Wave, Volume 3)
  • The Wave Book 5: Petty Tyrants
Sarah Beth Durst is the award-winning author of over twenty fantasy books for kids, teens, and adults, including Spark, Drink Slay Love, and The Queens of Renthia series. She won an ALA Alex Award and a Mythopoeic Fantasy Award and has been a finalist for SFWA's Andre Norton Award three times. She is a graduate of Princeton University and lives in Stony Brook, New York, with her husband, her child ...more

The Queens of Renthia (3 books)
  • The Queen of Blood  (The Queens of Renthia, #1)
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia, #2)