Start by marking “The Cutting Edge (Lincoln Rhyme, #14)” as Want to Read:
The Cutting Edge (Lincoln Rhyme, #14)

The Cutting Edge

(Lincoln Rhyme #14)

DANGEROUSLY GOOD. DISTINCTIVELY DEAVER.
Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs return to New York City to confront a killer terrorizing couples at their happiest--and most vulnerable.
In the early hours of a quiet, weekend morning in Manhattan's Diamond District, a brutal triple murder shocks the city. Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs quickly take the case. Curiously, the killer ha
Published April 10th 2018 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Cutting Edge, please sign up.
Susan Finck I feel the same way. Loved the earlier books and picked this up at the library thinking it would be a quick and enjoyable read. Nope.. I did manage to…moreI feel the same way. Loved the earlier books and picked this up at the library thinking it would be a quick and enjoyable read. Nope.. I did manage to finish it (it's rare that I do not finish a book that I have started) but it dragged on with its twists and turns . . . I indentified one of the bad guys from early on. Felt the plot was twisted and convoluted. Took me a week to finish. Couldn't wait to close the cover so that I could start something hopefully more enjoyable.(less)

Patrice Hoffman
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Back in the saddle with Jeffery Deaver and his crime fighting duo Amelia Sachs and Lincoln Rhyme. Although I've read most of the books in this series I can't help but picture Rhyme as Denzel Washington and Sachs as Angelina Jolie because of The Bone Collector movie I saw year before picking up the book of the same title. I know, I know Rhyme is nowhere near being a black dude but this is what happens when I see movies before reading the book. The actors used in the movie are somehow imprinted on ...more
Monnie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What do I think of this book? It's complicated.

Mostly, I'm talking about the plot. It's sort of like hiking in the woods and, just when you think you see the end of the trail, it veers off in another direction. Bodies turn up on different street corners, motives and suspects change almost by the chapter and friends turn out to be enemies. All this action keeps police consultant and quadriplegic Lincoln Rhymes and his partner (on and off the job) Amelia Sachs on their toes - and me on the edge of
Tim
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*Brilliant!* 10 of 10 Stars
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I can always count on Jefferey Deaver to deliver a well-written crime novel where nothing is at it seems. If you have read Deavers previous books, then you know what I mean. That is why I suspected that not everything is what it seemed when everything seemed to go smoothly in the book.

Newly married Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are tasked with finding not only a crazed killer that seemed to be targeting couples that are to be married but also a witness to the first crime. A triple murder in M
Adrienne
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent. I love the character Lincoln Rhyme. I adore the story plots of Jeffery Deaver. Unputdownable. Wonderful book.
Stephen Robert Collins
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
They diamonds are girls best friend this book proves that fact completely wrong.
I thing diamonds are overrated they serve no purpose but to make a girl's finger look good & give man a penis envy over others. This Lincoln book is very complex brutal black comedy over twists it has sub plot with whirlwind plot ending that ticks like a clock.
Lou
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
The premise was good and the telling, the economy of chapters, and view point, but the length didn’t match the hook I found myself drifting from the narrative. Cutting down of length would have being more thrilling.
Bam
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read several of Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme mysteries but it's been a while so I jumped at the chance to read an arc of his latest. Many thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for providing me with this book for an honest review.

Lincoln Rhyme is a quadriplegic who works with the NYPD as a consultant to solve complicated cases using forensic science. His wife, Amelia Sachs, is often his eyes and ears as she walks the grid of a crime scene collecting evidence.

In this latest outing,
KC
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are back to investigate the brutal and torturous killings of a soon to be wed couple and their jeweler at his diamond district establishment. Simultaneously an additional story unfolds in Brooklyn where a drilling construction site is home to numerous and extremely rare earth quakes that set off gas leaks and explosions resulting in a few fatalities. Rhyme and his team must conclude whether these two circumstances are connected and race to solve them before any oth ...more
Rick
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good installment with Lincoln Rhyme. Recommended.
OutlawPoet
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, the other day, after a series of disappointing reads, I turned to Jeffery Deaver and Lincoln Rhyme for a sure thing.

Sure enough, in a few pages, I was deep in a complicated mystery, compelling characters, and learning more than I ever knew about diamonds and diamond cutting. I had no idea the subject was so fascinating!

Now, I’ll admit that, for a while, I thought Deaver had made a misstep with his villain. At times, the villain seemed more silly than sinister. But, really, I needn’t have wor
Beth
Disappointed at best - 3*

I've been SO stressed over the last couple of weeks and this book did not really take my mind off it. I feel let down by Jeffrey Deaver I'm going to be truly honest about it.

I love Lincoln Rhyme I do and I love all of the main characters but I'm going to be honest, I'm so disappointed. The red herrings were crap. Where was my whiteboard where I got to have a go at working stuff out? Why were the victim's POV so boring? How come the plot line had been recycled? How com
Brent Hollister
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
It was interesting but not a page turner. There were two endings, the first wrapped everything up, and then the second wrapped a few more things up - but made a point of leaving the ending open - so you would be enticed to read the next installment. Cheesy and dated tactic.
Liz Barnsley
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really excellent addition to the Lincoln Rhyme series. Full review to follow at publication.
Deanna
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Pretty sure this is my first Deaver read. I probably started in the wrong place, deep into this series. The housebound protagonist was interesting, but not so much that our limited views of him —he can’t leave the house and we are carried around the story through others’ eyes—outweigh the unremarkable characters who mostly populate the story.

I never did get interested in the crime; villain world—we spend a lot of time there; or relationships with the protagonist—it felt like I was missing the p
Donna Derons
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Dear Jeffrey Deaver
I read your books like a junkie trying to quit. Each time I finish one I think to myself “no more Deaver! That’s it for me!” Then the next one comes out and I tell myself that just one last fix won’t hurt....
So why do I do it to myself? Your books are engaging. I love Lincoln. I rarely ever guess the full plot in its entirety.
BUT
Your twists and turns are so intricate and convoluted I think you’ve reached the point where it’s all just a little bit silly. The last few have left
Elaine Tomasso
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Hodder & Stoughton for an advance copy of The Cutting Edge, the 14th novel to feature criminalist Lincoln Rhyme and detective Amelia Sachs of NYPD.

Lincoln and Amelia are asked to investigate a particularly brutal killing where a top diamantaire (diamond cutter) has been tortured and killed along with his clients, a newly engaged couple, in the workshop to pick up their engagement ring. Despite the theft of uncut diamonds it would appear that the couple are
Jena Henry
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Criminalist Lincoln Rhyme to Detective Amelia Sachs: "Didn't we say this whole plot was complicated?"

Thirteen books in the Lincoln Rhyme and I am still thrilled and eager to crack open the latest in the series. And Book 14 in the series, The Cutting Edge, is an …" Oh, wow!" Actually I give this book five "Oh Wows!" on the Richter scale (which does have relevance to the story.)

At this point, Lincoln and Amelia need no introduction other than to say that if there's an impossible crime to be solved
David Worrell
Deaver went through a slump a few books back, in my opinion, and then bounced back. This was another dip for me. It ran through all the motions: legerdemain, a new contact with an expert in an interesting field, a sympathetic schlub with his own subplot. It just never rose above what we've read the other twenty times. Mediocre Deaver is still good and I've been wanting to read a new Rhyme for a few months now, but I couldn't help but be a little disappointed. The biggest complaint I had about th ...more
Norah
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I chose this book because it was recommended on Goodreads as a book I should read. I remembered watching the movie "The Bone Collector" that had the characters that are in this book. I loved the movie so when I saw that it was a Lincoln Rhymes novel and since I had a background with the character I decided to read the book. This is the 14th book in the series and if I enjoy it I will have a lot of books to read to catch up in the series.
The book #1 begins with a robbery that needs to be solved
Bill Lynas
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeffery Deaver's supremely talented criminologist Lincoln Rhyme returns to track down (yet another!) serial killer stalking the streets of New York.
Deaver turns in an incredible well plotted thriller, but this time he develops a larger backstory for one of his characters. Vimal Lahori is a young sculptor & diamond cutter & Deaver brings him, & the Lahori family, fully to life. I usually find family background stories slow down the pace of a thriller, but here Deaver creates truly bel
Diane
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The Cutting Edge (Lincoln Rhyme #14) by author Jeffrey Deaver is another fast-paced thriller featuring criminal consultants, Lincoln Rhymes and Amelia Sachs. In this book, the recent murders of engaged couples or the soon-to-be-brides may not be the underlying reason for the brutal killings and attempted murders. The serial killer, unsub 47 has been given the name of The Promisor because he seems to be targeting certain diamantaires and couples who have recently ordered or purchased specific dia ...more
Gloria Feit
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
What starts off as a murder mystery turns into a multi-faceted conspiracy in the latest Lincoln Rhyme novel. It begins with the murder of a prominent diamond cutter in the heart of New York’s jewelry district on 47th Street, although the murderer apparently left behind a small fortune in gems, so the motive remains obscure. A young apprentice walks in during the murder and is shot at but is saved when the bullet hits a bag filled with rocks instead.

Subsequent murders take place, ostensibly by a
Bruce Hatton
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-crime
The latest thriller from the Grand Master of the multiple plot twist is the 14th to feature his most enduring protagonist, paraplegic criminalist Lincoln Rhyme and his long-term partner (and now, wife), the glamorous yet arthritic Amelia Sachs.
The recent nuptials of the pair seem particularly relevant here as the crime they’re initially called to investigate is, ostensibly, a mad Russian obsessed with diamonds murdering couples planning their own weddings.
However, as always with Deaver novels, t
Jo Hurst
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was prob a 3.5 rounded up which is very unusual for Jeffery Deaver. Lincoln Ryhme and Amelia Sachs are on the hunt for a murderer that has struck in the diamond district. But it becomes clear very early on that something is just not quite right with the picture and for once I was able to pretty much suss out most of the major plot lines. Which can mean only one thing. Either Jeffery Deaver is slipping or I am getting really good! Sadly much as I would like to take credit I don't think I can ...more
Debbie
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!!

Lincoln Rhymes and Amelia Sachs are back!! In this new tale, they are set against a plot that has many cover ups included to not give away the real reason or what is really going on with all these crimes in this book.

Seriously though, I have to ask first. Does anyone not read the Lincoln Rhyme books and not see Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie in the characters while doing so? Not that that is a bad thing. It's just where my mind goes.

The crimes are against people who are getting mar
Arielle Walker
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-thriller
I think it may have finally reached the time where the Lincoln Rhyme books are more disappointing than not. It's all just starting to feel a wee bit... stale.

There's a vague implication that the next book may be the last; I'll most likely read it but it'll take a lot to keep me going on from there.
Donna Lewis
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lincoln Rhyme books are always a superb read. The plot is intricate, complex and interesting. Everything is complicated but necessary. The new characters are robust, and the old characters are comfortable. Such an enjoyable book!
Tom
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I ‘m a Deaver and Lincoln Ryhme fan, and this book was, in my opinion, one of his best. Lot’s of twists and turns as you would expect, and a great setup for what. I think (hope) will be the subject of the next Lincoln Rhyme novel. A real page turner...Enjoy! 😎
Joan
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Criminalist Lincoln Rhyme and Detective Amelia Sachs investigate the horrific triple murder of a diamantaire and an engaged couple. Valuable gems left at the murder scene rule out robbery as the motive and when similar crimes follow, it soon becomes clear that engaged couples are the killer’s targets.

Declaring himself “The Promisor,” the killer continues his attacks as he searches for a witness to the murder of the diamantaire. However, before Vimal Lahori can be located, a disaster strikes the

• Blood Oath (Alexandra Cooper, #20)
  • Bloody River Blues (John Pellam, #2)
  • A Killer in the Wind
  • Hope to Die (DS Nathan Cody #2)
  • Duplicity (Fina Ludlow, #4)
  • Broken Places (A Chicago Mystery #1)
  • The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)
  • The Wind Chill Factor
  • Signature Kill (Frank Behr #4)
  • In the Galway Silence (Jack Taylor, #14)
  • Cemetery Lake (Theodore Tate, #1)
  • Cold Judgment
  • The End of Winter
  • All Cry Chaos (Henri Poincaré Mystery, #1)
  • The Domino Killer (Joe & Sam Parker #3)
  • South of Hell (Louis Kincaid, #9)
  • Silent City (Pete Fernandez Mystery #1)
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.

Lincoln Rhyme (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • The Stone Monkey (Lincoln Rhyme, #4)
  • The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)
  • The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)
  • The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7)
  • The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)
  • The Burning Wire (Lincoln Rhyme, #9)
  • The Kill Room (Lincoln Rhyme, #10)
“You know, Lincoln, my father always said you can never trust anybody when they answer a question with a question.” 1 likes
“the man had stabbed his wife, Rostov’s mother (though only in the face and only with a screwdriver, so hardly a problem).” 0 likes