Start by marking “The Loneliest Girl in the Universe” as Want to Read:
The Loneliest Girl in the Universe

The Loneliest Girl in the Universe

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  10,959 ratings  ·  2,654 reviews
A surprising and gripping sci-fi thriller with a killer twist

The daughter of two astronauts, Romy Silvers is no stranger to life in space. But she never knew how isolating the universe could be until her parents’ tragic deaths left her alone on the Infinity, a spaceship speeding away from Earth.

Romy tries to make the best of her lonely situation, but with only brief messag
Published July 3rd 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Loneliest Girl in the Universe, please sign up.
Lauren James I want to write one, but I haven't started yet - so not for a few years! My next book is set in a different world entirely.
Lauren James For now.....
For now.....
(The plot is fully resolved by the end of the book. Any future books will just be about the same character with a new plot.)(less)

·  10,959 ratings  ·  2,654 reviews

Start your review of The Loneliest Girl in the Universe
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This is a book about learning to be yourself without needing someone else, and a book about loneliness, and a book that occasionally gets really fucking scary. It plays on your deepest fears. It's a page turner — I found myself turning pages so quickly that I got a full 100 pages through without even checking the page count. I am one of those people who obsessively checks page counts. What did this book do to me.

I feel like this is a book I really can’t say much about because it is one you don’
jessica
if youre going into this thinking it will be a fluffy sci-fi romance set across the stars (like me), then youre in for quite the surprise! and i mean that in the best way possible.

this wasnt what i was expecting, not at all. the first 200 pages catch the reader up on the whole galaxy expedition situation and introduce romy and j, who share cute emails back and forth with each other. all is good in love and space. and then page 201 happens and everything changes. i dont want to give anything awa
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow - what a thrilling, terrifying, weird little book.
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

If you're going to read only one book in September, make it The Loneliest Girl in the Universe.

I was one of the lucky space troopers who managed to buy an early release copy at YALC back in July. I kept seeing announcements throughout the weekend that it had sold out and were scrambling to find more. When I finally arrived on Sunday, the first thing I did was make a beeline for the Waterstones booth to pick up my gorgeous copy.

I lov
amy ☂︎
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The Loneliest Girl in the Universe has its flaws, but i just can't bring myself to rate it lower than 4 stars. My inner coward who secretly daydreams of being an astronaut so she can endlessly float in space just can't do it!!!! address your complaints to her pls

i CANNOT believe it took me so long to finally realize that sci-fi is my favorite genre but i'm glad i did so i can stop wasting time like a dumbass

this book just pulls you in from the start and doesn't really ever let you go after that.
Ahmed  Ejaz
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-lengths, 2018
"Someone outside of a situation is never able to truly judge the best actions to take."
Disgusting. That's the first thing came to my mind after finishing it. It could have been so much better than this. Literally! And it was going better. But shit happened!!!!

The story is about a girl named, Romy, who is on the ship, The Infinity, which is going to a distant planet having suitable conditions for life. This is the program by NASA. She is all alone on this ship. Her parents has died
Kayla Dawn
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This could have been a bit longer, the ending came quite quickly but I still enjoyed it a lot.
Even though you spent most of your time with one character in the same setting it doesn't get boring at all. You're to invested in the backstory and what's about to come! It's just done very well.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
I am so sad that it took me so long to pick this up because it was amazing. I was up again late into the night (12:30 am. Oops not Oops).

The premise was really depressing. I mean personally I'd I was alone in space I would:
A) Go crazy and puke
B) Puke and then go crazy
C) Tip over and hit my head killing myself because I'm so crazy.

Anyway, apparently Romy doesn't go crazy because she get audio messages from her psychiatrist. This leads to a whole other topic about the messages but I'll get to that
Gabby
I am so conflicted over how I feel about this book. I feel like the first and second halves of this book are completely different genres and my brain had a hard time processing the change in tone in the middle of this book. This story follows this girl Romy who is living on The Infinity, a spacecraft in space where she was born and it's all he's ever known. She is travelling toward what will be "Earth 2" and both of her parents and all the other previous astronauts are dead so she is all alone. ...more
Riley
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
whoa this book was such a surprise. I picked it up on a whim and didn't know much about it but it wasn't at all what I expected. It was actually kind of terrifying at parts.
i really loved this
Lauren James
I wrote this!

August 2017 - It was announced in Publishers Weekly today that The Loneliest Girl is being published in America by HarperCollins. HarperCollins. That’s the stuff that dreams are made of. It’s going to be out in July 2018 in hardback, eBook and audiobook (my first English-language audiobook!). Deal info here.

First Chapter Amazon UK |  Amazon US | Waterstones | Wordery |  Book Depository | Foyles  | Barnes & Noble | WHSmith | Hive | Audiobook

You can subscribe to my mailing list for
Lucia
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, ya, 1-2-stars-read
The Loneliest Girl in the Universe is another example of great premise going to waste. Whoever writes blurbs at HarperTeen should get a raise because every time I finish a book by HarperTeen I vow to never read anything by them again only to break this resolution as soon as I come across some of their amazing blurbs. Unfortunately, as in the case of this book, great blurb does not guarantee great read.

Storytelling - 1 STAR
Setting of The Loneliest Girl in the Universe was flat. No wonder since it
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was chilling and fantastic. I LOVED this book. Omg. Omggggggg.
Emer (A Little Haze)
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emer (A Little Haze) by: Gabby
My advice... Know as little about this book as you can before reading it!!

Some very jumbled thoughts:

It started off feeling highly illogical and then I somehow forgot that this messed up logic was annoying me *shrugs shoulders*
So I got caught up COMPLETELY in the storyline and well *PHOOOF* any capabilities of thinking like a normal human being I had went out the window.
*waves bye bye to my brain*
I got increasingly more paranoid as Gabby will testify to as she was witness to all manner of ridi
Warda
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nope. Just nope. I think I'm being generous with the 2 star rating, but the book got slightly interesting towards the end, but I still didn't care for it. I didn't care for one aspect of this book. *sigh*
may ❀
*me before reading this book:* scared of space
*me after reading this book:* really freaking scared of space

this book is so much more than a cute coming-of-age story about a girl in space handling loneliness and independence.

it gets really really dark and scary and my gosh, was this a page turner. i didn't even notice how fast i was getting through the book, pages passed in seconds and the build of the tension and eeriness was incredible.

there were passages that i read where my heart was poundi
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, audiobook
. : ☾⋆ — 4 ★

READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!!

oh, wow. WOW. now THIS is a shocking, unexpected book. do yourself a favor and read The Loneliest Girl in the Universe knowing as little as possible about it as you can. if I learned anything from it, it’s that I’m a gullible piece of sentimental crap and, just like the main character, I was completely and absolutely FOOLED by everything that happened in this book. it went from romance to horror real quick and I wholly and wholehea
♡ diasreads ♡
"Love take so much energy, and it just leads to pain. I think it's probably best for people to be self-sufficient. If I was strong enough to be independent, then I wouldn't be so desperately lonely. I'm sure of it."

This book was cruel. Like the MC, I was led to believe that this is just a sappy space romance. But here's the thing: the blurb was nothing but a self-effacing description of this book and its true purpose was to tear your expectations apart and leave you in a state of cal
Eli
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Ahhh this was so good! I didn't really have a clue what this is about, but it was so surprising and gripping! My only negative point is that a certain someone is somehow evil without a real reason? But yeah, other than that pretty brilliant!
Romie
“But some days it's hard to remember the exciting parts. I get stuck in the memories. It's hard to focus on the future when the past is so distracting.”

I fell in love with this book the moment I read the first line. I remember I sent my best friend a message saying, ‘you know this feeling when you start a book and you know it's going to be a new favourite? That's what I'm feeling right now.’ I just knew. And I wasn't wrong.

This book has a very unique atmosphere. I was both feeling safe and scare
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
*4.5/5 stars*

The Loneliest Girl in the Universe is a strange little book. It is a sci-fi story, but also has vibes of contemporary. It's light and fun, but also chilling and dark. Most of all it hookes you in till you read the whole thing.

This is a story about loneliness, inner ghosts and having faith (or lack of it) in self.

Romy was born in space. She grew up on a spaceship heading to colonize a new planet. Now, years later, she is the only surviving member. Until she discovers a new advanced
Amelia
I honestly just thought this book was going to be about a young teenager who falls in love with someone she doesn't know in person.

But I was so wrong!

There was a twist I did not see coming until it was revealed. A romance with a huge twist. As soon as I hit 100 pages I struggled to put it down!

Anyone who loves stories like this I highly recommend you pick it up.

I'm really sad this book was as short as it is.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
“Is no life at all better than the constant fear and fight for survival I face every day? I don’t know. If a life of fear isn’t worth living, then why should I carry on?"

representation: anxiety.

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★★

yoooooo, this was WILD. it starts out as one book and totally does a 180 and ends up a psychological thriller XD

Had me on the edge of my seat until the very end, but (view spoiler)
monica kim
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases
3.5 - I just didn’t love this quite as much as everyone else, but it is definitely a fun read! I just felt like the build up didn’t lead to an amazing ending.
Rana⚡
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
"It's hard to focus on the future when the past is so distracting.”

Unlike most of the other readers i enjoyed the first half more; i just loved reading about Romy
watching tv shows and doing absolutely nothing 🤷🏻 The ending was predictable, i personally wouldn't call it twisting. But overall, it was really beautiful and clever.
Shaun Hutchinson
This was a book that shouldn't have worked but still kind of did.
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Video Review

The Loneliest Girl in the Universe is a book that will blow your mind for sure, even if you think you know what you're getting yourself into.

I loved following our main character Romy on her daily routine and to see her just trying to have a good life on this ship while being all alone.
The concept around this is so intriguing and has so much packed into it, you cannot even guess. This book will catch you off guard for sure. And while it has this romantic aspect, it is definite
Hillary
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I surprisingly read this book really fast considering that it was set in a single place for its entirety. I can’t believe how gripping this was!
While reading I guess I was mainly terrified by the fact that Romy had been alone on the spaceship for years and years and that she still had to wait like 20 years more without living a proper life. Being alone and stuck in a single place for an unquantifiable amount of time is a new phobia of mine now *hysterical laugh*
I saw the space movie with Jennife
Robin Bonne
This book was not what I expected. It got dark, and then even darker. The author created an eerie sense of paranoia and isolation. Sci-fi horror done right.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“I’ve got the half-real fear that creeps up on you in the middle of the night, making you think that there is a monster in your room.”

This should have been a five star reading. The book has a unique and interesting take on grief and loneliness. It should have been a favorite read for me, but that damn ending...

This is a curious little book. We have our main protagonist, Romy. Who is a sixteen year old girl that was born in space. Her parents and everyone else has died on the ship an
UCAS English 11 R...: August Reading Assignment 1 2 Aug 30, 2018 07:50PM

• Wilder Girls
  • Sawkill Girls
  • Sadie
  • The Kingdom
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Radio Silence
  • City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • The Life Below (The Final Six, #2)
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Hopewell High: Like and Share (High/Low)
  • Contagion (Contagion, #1)
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
**I don't respond to messages on here - send an ask on Tumblr instead***
Lauren James was born in 1992, and has a Masters degree from the University of Nottingham, UK, where she studied Chemistry and Physics. She is the twice Carnegie-nominated British Young Adult author of The Loneliest Girl in the Universe, The Quiet at the End of the World and The Next Together series, as well as the dyslexia-fr