Start by marking “The Cursed Sea (The Glass Spare, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Cursed Sea (The Glass Spare, #2)

The Cursed Sea

(The Glass Spare #2)

Wilhemina Heidle, the exiled princess of Northern Arrod, the girl thought dead by her family and friends, must return home. The only way to save Loom, the cursed prince of the Southern Isles, is to revisit the castle and discover the origins of her own curse.

But home is very different from how she left it—Wil’s unstable elder brother is now king, leading a war against the
Published December 18th 2018 by Balzer + Bray

Start your review of The Cursed Sea (The Glass Spare, #2)
Candace Robinson
I'm always scared when diving into a last book of a series but not as bad with a duology because the journey hasn't been that long. Yet, I was still nervous because I loved the first book so much! I mean, King Midas-like stuff... Awesome, right? All that glitters is definitely gold!

I still loved Wil, and she really grew as a character. She wasn't the same girl we remember at the beginning of book one. Instead, she's become stronger and braver and I really like her love for her family! My boys, L
Clem (the villain's quest)
Rating: 2.5

It felt like this book was completely detached from the first one and shouldn’t have existed in the first place.
Cori Reed
I am sad. I LOVED The Glass Spare but this book felt like a. the author didn't know what she wanted to happen OR b. she wanted lots of things to happen but the pacing was terrible.

*cries into forever*
Joshee Kun (조수아)
A satisfying end to an underrated duology.
Yusra  ✨
Jun 17, 2018 marked it as no-thanks
why so pretty
Melissasfandomworld
3.5 stars.

I was really looking forward to reading this sequel, since the Glass Spare was so much fun to read.
There were definitely some expectations present before starting this book. Some of them, were lived up too but some of them weren't either. I think this is partly because of the fact that it's a duology? IDK, but I'd preferred it, I think, if there'd be a third book so the author could've expanded things a bit more and so she could've focused on a more detailed ending.

What I thought cou
asbah
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Ever since I read The Glass Spare last year, I couldn’t quite get it out of my head for some reason. So I was really looking forward to its sequel. I gotta be real here, I wasn’t disappointed but I wasn’t surprised either. I had some high hopes, but this fell short for me. This is my dilemma with duologies, that the second book won’t live up to the first, and unfortunately that was the case here. But this really wasn’t so bad as you might think—I really liked some of the elements—but those didn’ ...more
Cesar
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars.

This was such a disappointment. I was expecting more especially since this is a duology but I might've put my expectations on a high pedestal. And now I'm beyond disappointed. Disappointed in myself for thinking this would be a good ending and disappointed in the book as a whole.

I'm giving it 2 stars because there was at least one thing that saved this book from being a 1 star. However, the flaws outweigh the positives by a lot.

The Cursed Sea takes place immediately after The Glass Spare
Aly
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Good sequel

I was worried that this book might be as fun or interesting as the first, but it lived up to it. The pacing was really good, I wasn't bored and in fact I read this all at once. I liked that we not only saw what Wil was thinking, but sometimes we got Loom and Espel and Gerdie too. The story played out well and the ending did a great job wrapping up.
Patty (IheartYA)
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good sequel but not as good as the first book. It got a tad silly and seemed off course for a bit. The ending was rushed and it felt like a few more chapters could have been written before it. Overall, I love the concept, world and characters BUT if this author used the word "betray" one more time I would have thrown the book across the room.
mary ⛈
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
some things i liked:
💌 seeing relationships and friendships strengthen
💌 how the book jumps straight into the story without stalling
💌 espel and her ferocity when it comes to those she loves, and her unfaltering loyalty to her kingdom. i think she's my fave character
💌 how the characters are multifaceted
💌 the author's acknowledgement of thanks to her cats was hilarious

some things i didn't quite enjoy:
💌 i felt like the buildup to the final fight was anticlimactic, as the fight was like...what, 3
Zehra
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: in-english, favorites
This book was as magical and heartbreaking as the first one but I feel like the author got lazy in the end because it just feels very rushed and a lot of stuff stays unexplained. It's a shame.
Hetal
Morgan Shipman
I'm SO sad that this was only a duology and not a series. I was looking forward to the story continuing and learning more about the characters and their futures. The book overall was amazing and I was pleasantly surprised by how nicely the plot flowed and the characters were developed by the author. I couldn't stop reading this duology. (view spoiler) ...more
Mariane
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, library-books
This was a slog. There was a good story hidden in there under a lot of other unnecessary or ill-explained plot. I didn’t connect with the characters, but the prose was really beautiful at times. I think maybe it just wasn’t for me, but it might be other people’s thing?
Meg Orton
In the sequel to 2017’s The Glass Spare which I absolutely loved, the novel starts almost exactly where the first book ended. After time spent on the mighty seas falling in love with the handsome Loom and struggling to find a cure for her curse Wil Heidle returns to the kingdom of Arrod to find that everything is pretty much in ruin. Her brother, the ill-tempered Baren has taken control of the kingdom and their father, the King, is dead.

You will of course remember that Wil had discovered she he
Jessica
Overall, I thought this wrapped up really well but I feel like some things could have been better explained. Overall, learning what happened with Baren, I wish that we had gotten to see more of what that was like instead of just a mention or two. I loved seeing how all of the relationships changed, but I also feel like some of the relationships were extremely cliche and I didn't care as much as I might've if the romance came about in a different way.

If you're looking for a fantasy with a cool c
Shelley
*Source* Library
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

The Cursed Sea is the second installment in author Lauren DeStefano's Glass Spare duology. The Glass Spare ended on a surprising cliffhanger, leaving many characters in danger. Now Wilhemina (Wil) Heidle, the exiled princess of Northern Arrod, must return to her homeland—and to the family that thinks she’s dead—and uncover the origins of her curse. But, with her unstable brother Baren, now the King, Wil's attempts at uncovering de
Jamie Coudeville
One of my biggest issues was that I just didn't really care about many of the main characters. I barely remembered the first book (also didn't help). And the pace was a bit weird. I did like the family dynamics and the relationship between Espel and her girlfriend. I didn't hate the book. I just also didn't really love it.
Madgalene Barrera
Ok. So do you know when you have to take a break from a book because it is getting too intense? But you can’t take too long of a break because you need to figure out what happens in the end. This is one of those books. The only reason I finished this book in 2 days and not 2 hours is because it got WAY to intense. But a good intense. You know when you find that one book where if ANYTHING goes wrong and somebody you like (or even dislike) dies or gets heartbroken and you feel it? This is that boo ...more
Shreya Karnati
I really don't know why I felt the need to finish this book after one year. The concept for the story was interesting but the execution could have been done better. The concept of curses in the story was confusing at times. I didn't really care for any of the characters or their relationships.
Carly
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this was so good!!! It was so much better than the first and I loved the first book.
noor
Jul 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
SOLID 3 stars. No more. I suffered trying to sit down and read this book.
hayden
Feb 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
oooooh, that’s very pretty!
Steena Carey
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Layla
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-love
What an emotional roller coaster ride from start to finish!

A fantastic adventure, carrying on swiftly from where the last book left off. Secrets, lies, curses, love, heartbreak, loss. All interwoven beautifully to make the reader cry, smile, wince and scream all at the same time.

Honestly I think this story could have even be stretched to encompass three books, rather than a duology, the last few chapters were rather quick. I'm not sure that my heart is done with Wil and Loom, or Gerdie for that
Ruthsic
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warnings: death of family and grief, gun violence

Rep: One of the secondary PoV is a queer girl in a sapphic relationship; another secondary PoV is from a disabled character

At the end of the Glass Spare, Wil is tasked with going back to her kingdom and finding out the truth about how she was cursed, but when she arrives back, she comes to a kingdom that has had a change in leadership. Her paranoid and hateful brother Baron is now King, and he initially believes her to be a ghost; while he is not
Aisha
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
*spoiler alert*

The Cursed Sea picked right up from where The Glass Spare left off. The plot, I will say, is typical in the sense that two kingdoms have rising tensions and imminent war with one another. However, the twist on this plot was perfect. The two curses.

This duology has been a great one. Each and every character was unique and built-on so well. Wil's character was strong, hiding her vulnerable parts and secrets. She is a YA female character I actually enjoyed reading about. Her and Loom
Christine Spoors
This was such a fun duology, I really loved the characters and found them to be such easy reads. I do agree with other reviews saying that this second book felt a little muddled and rushed, the pacing was odd and it made me not care much about how it would end. It was still a fun read though.

My favourite thing about this book was Masalee and Espel, I love an unexpected side f/f romance! As we got some POV chapters from these two I ended up really loving them and their story. I could have just re
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Frozen Reign (Burning Glass, #3)
  • Crystal Blade (Burning Glass, #2)
  • Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • As She Ascends (Fallen Isles, #2)
  • The Crow Rider (The Storm Crow, #2)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • Evermore (Everless, #2)
  • Cloak of Night (Circle of Shadows, #2)
  • Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
  • A Sorrow Fierce and Falling (Kingdom on Fire, #3)
  • Nightblood (Frostblood Saga, #3)
  • Queen of Ruin (Grace and Fury, #2)
  • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Onyx and Ivory (Rime Chronicles, #1)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep #2)

The Glass Spare (2 books)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)