Start by marking “Next Year in Havana” as Want to Read:
Next Year in Havana

Next Year in Havana

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  9,449 Ratings  ·  1,520 Reviews
After the death of her beloved grandmother, a Cuban-American woman travels to Havana, where she discovers the roots of her identity--and unearths a family secret hidden since the revolution...

Havana, 1958. The daughter of a sugar baron, nineteen-year-old Elisa Perez is part of Cuba's high society, where she is largely sheltered from the country's growing political unrest--
Published February 6th 2018 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Next Year in Havana, please sign up.
Chanel Cleeton I don't have plans for them to get another book at this time. Thanks!
Mary Have you tried an ereader? You can adjust the font size.

Angela M
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy knowing an author’s inspiration for a story. In the acknowledgments, which introduce the book, Chanel Cleeeton call this “the book of my heart” and thanks her family for sharing their stories. It wasn’t until I heard her in an interview relating a story that her father told her about how people would put their valuables in boxes and bury the box before they left Cuba, that I knew the specific thing. This seemed to reflect a hope that they would someday return. A box buried by a yo ...more
Melanie

ARC provided by Berkley in exchange for an honest review.

“We carry our home with us in our hearts, laden with hope. So much hope.”

Next Year in Havana is such an amazing book that had me crying all the happy tears, all the sad tears, and all the in-between tears. I feel like this ownvoices book, that Chanel Cleeton crafted, took a piece of my heart, and I’m fine living without it, because this book was such a work of art, inside and out. And this beautiful story is told in two different timel
Jen
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a sucker for Cuba. It’s a destination of choice for a number of reasons including its history, its traditions, the people and of course, its coffee.
This story takes us through 2 story lines: 1959 and decades later to 2017. With 2 love stories.
After Marisol’s grandmother passes, she has been left the daunting task of scattering her ashes over her home country, Cuba. We read her story through love letters left behind.
We are taken through the historical revolution and what it meant as a citizen
Liz
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars, rounded up.

As a voracious reader and reviewer, I’m in favor of anything that promotes books and creates more interest in them. So, I view the proliferation of celebrity book clubs as a good thing. This is Reese Witherspoon’s July BOMC selection. And it’s a very worthy one.

The book starts with the Perez family leaving Cuba after the success of the revolution. It quickly switches to Marisol Ferrera returning to Cuba 58 years later with her grandmother’s ashes. Cleeton paints that pictu
Julie
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton is a 2018 Penguin/Berkley publication.

Cuba- 1958

Elisa Perez, a sugar heiress, falls in love with a revolutionary. But, their lives are so far removed from one another the relationship is one that seems doomed from the start. Sure enough, she and Pablo are separated, and Elisa’s family fled to America, never to return to their beloved Cuba.

Fast forward to 2017-

“When I was younger, I begged my grandmother to tell me about Cuba. It was a mythical island, cont
*****FOUR STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}

In one step, I know power, the drugging effect of it coursing through my veins. With one step I am removed from the fringes and thrust in the middle of my life. In that space of the step, my world shifts. Everything is different now, and nothing will ever be the same again.

NEXT YEAR IN HAVANA is beautifully written and at times excessive in the detailed description of the surroundings and landscape of Cuba and its inhabitants. It did enable
Diane S ☔
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 There are so many fantastic elements to this novel. The book opens with the Perez family fleeing Cuba after the revolution. This is the first thread of the story. The second is Elise Perez's granddaughter Marisol, traveling to Cuba, sixty years later to scatter her ashes in the country she had loved.

The history of Cuba, Batista, Che and Castro are told in bold, detailed fashion using the Perez family to add a human element and interest to the story. This story would be my favorite part of t
Dem
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

I love books where the protagonist tries to discover the roots of her identity and and this is what drew me to this novel. I enjoyed Chanel Cleeton's Next year in Havana as it took me on a journey to Cuba which a country I have read very little about and by the conclusion of this Historical Fiction Novel I had gained a little historical insight into Cuba and now look forward to reading some more books on Cuba in the near future.

"After the death of her beloved Grandmother, a Cuban-Am
Katie B
This book has been on my radar for awhile and I was so excited to finally have the opportunity to read it. I don't normally comment on book covers, but this one is absolutely stunning and whoever designed it deserves some praise. The story that unfolded between the front and back covers was really some compelling historical fiction.

So I'll admit I did not know much about the Cuban Revolution prior to reading this book. One reason I love historical fiction is sometimes it gives you the opportunit
Susanne Strong
4 Stars.

Family, Heartache, History, Life, Loss and Love. This is the story of “Next Year in Havana” by Chanel Cleeton.

Cuba, 1958: Elisa Perez is a nineteen year old heiress when she meets Pablo, at a dinner party. Their chemistry is immediate and undeniable. It is love at first sight and it is doomed. Pablo is a revolutionary, he stands for everything her family is against and yet neither can walk away from their feelings. When things go awry, Elisa and her family have no choice but to escape t
Christy
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
 photo IMG_1677_zpsdwyilnwg.jpg

I am not a huge fan of historical fiction, but I loved this book. Chanel Cleeton is a new to me author, and I'm so happy I took a chance on this book. It is beautifully written, and I feel like I learned so much while reading it.

This story goes back in forth between two characters and two times. Some chapters are in the present, from our heroine Marisol's pov. The others are from the past, 1958 to be exact. They are from Marisol's late Grandmother, Elisa's pov. It's a few months after Elisa's
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
Boy, 2018 has been epic so far...

My heart is full. Full with love for the characters of this book. With shame about my ignorance of the danger and problems Cuban people still face on a daily basis. Admiration for their bravery and pride. Affection for their good hearts. Sadness for their heartbreak. I struggle to get a grip on my emotions as I sit here and write my review.

How long will we be gone? When will we return? Which version of Cuba will greet us when we do?

Marisol's exiled grandmother
Cindy Burnett
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while I start a book and from page one I am completely enamored with every aspect of the book - the plot, the characters, the setting, and the relationships. Next Year in Havana is this type of book; as I read, I was constantly ruminating about how fabulous the book was. I love that feeling, and to me, it is the sign of an exceptionally good book.

Next Year in Havana is told in a dual timeline format, alternating between the late 1950’s and present day. Both story lines are equal
Miranda Reads
description

"I promised I would never see you again."
"So this is good-bye, then?"
"No."
Elisa Perez, daughter of a sugar baron in Cuba, had a vastly different life from her granddaughter, Marisol Ferrera.

Elisa's world is of wealth, and intrigue. Tabloid newspapers and quiet, refined lives. She knows what to expect in her life - courtship, marriage and then children (undoubtedly, in that order).
We are useless birds in a gilded cage...
But soon, the Cuban rebellion against Batista impacts even her quiet,
Lori
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings on this one. I loved parts & I disliked others. I loved Elise’s story... the struggles she faced in a changing Cuba were heartbreaking. I had a vague knowledge of Cuba’s tumultuous past & present, so I really found that part very interesting. At the same time, I enjoyed learning more about Cuba’s struggles it felt over done in Marisol’s story. The sentiments became very repetitive which made me lose interest & start skimming. Marisol & Luis’s relationship wa ...more
Bkwmlee

I was enamored with this book from the very first page and found it very difficult to put down after I started reading it! I will admit that I was reluctant to read this one at first, as I don’t typically read romance novels and being that most of this author’s previous works were contemporary romances, I was worried that this would be along the same lines -- however I decided to give this one a try, as I was drawn in by the historical aspect and also curiosity with the setting being in
Jennifer Kyle
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
4.5 Stars!!

A very good read.
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
When I was asked to review Next Year in Havana, it was a tough choice to make. It seemed so far out of my wheelhouse and I’ve had bad luck in the past with celebrity book club picks, so I had no clue what to expect from this! Since I make a habit of not accepting review requests for books I don’t expect to rate favorably, I thought on this one a little, but when I learned that the story was (at least partially) inspired by the author’s own Cuban heritage, I decided to give it a chance—and I am s ...more
Marialyce
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library

4 wonderfully amazing stars to Havana, Cuba and its people
My reviews can be found here: https://yayareadslotsofbooks.wordpres...

I have always had a fascination with the island of Cuba. I was a young girl during the Cuban missil
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
LIVE AMAZON http://amzn.to/2E4hN25

4,5-5 Beautiful stars

"At the end of the day the only thing you have left is what you stand for."

I'm speechless, such a beautiful and powerful story!I have no words, I'm still processing what I just read!I have read and loved almost all Chanel's books but nothing is like that!This was amazing!Next Year in Havana is an emotional,intense, heartbreaking and heartwarming story!

description

Next Year in Havana follows two different timelines. The first timeline tells the story o
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Next year in Havana is one of those books that I took one look at and just knew that I wanted to read. The cover is breathtakingly beautiful and the blurb promised the reader an unforgettable story. I was very interested in Che Guevara in my early twenties, and I still find him to be a fascinating person. And the history of Cuba is also very interesting so guess my delight to get the chance of reading a historical fiction book set in Cuba.

Next year in Havana has a dual storyline, with one story
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

The Perez girls were the talk of the town for many reasons.

The day they had to leave Cuba was not pleasant but a necessary event.

We meet the girls when their family was prosperous and in power, and then we move to when the granddaughter of Elisa Perez, Marisol, comes back to Havana as a grown woman and a journalist to find a place to spread her grandmother’s ashes in her beloved Cuba.

What her granddaughter finds is a box that her grandmother had buried and was told to keep for Marisol. What Mar
 Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

“Next Year in Havana” is one of those historical fiction stories that will immediately take you back in time to experience EVERYTHING all over again. Pain, loss, fear, anguish, and joy for the unknown is what will keep you wanting to know more.

Told from dual pov’s between 1958 and 2017 from two family members, this was the story of one family’s turmoil and heartbreak and how they survived life after being exiled from Cuba. Now that decades have passed, one granddaughter is making it her mi
Suzanne Leopold
Marisol Ferrara was raised by her late grandmother, Elisa, who immigrated from Cuba in the 1950’s. Her grandmother’s dying wish was to have her ashes scattered in her native Havana. Marisol works as a freelance journalist in Miami and will use this opportunity to write a piece on tourism in Cuba. She embarks on this journey with the goal of finding a location with symbolic importance to her grandmother.

Marisol arrives in Cuba and sets out to learn all that she can about her grandmother’s family
Carlene Inspired
Oh my, it is impossible to give this book the proper review it deserves. I can't summarize it in a way that shows you just how wonderful this book was to read, you just have to read it yourself. Next Year in Havana is a beautiful, heart wrenching tale that brings Cuba and its inhabitants, and exiles, to life. It's one of the best Historical Fictions I have read in a very long time, with incredible, descriptive writing and a story that pulled so much emotion from me. I found myself entranced, enj ...more
Zoe
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Atmospheric, absorbing, and incredibly heartfelt!

Next Year in Havana is a riveting tale that sweeps you into a country ravished by rebellion, oppression, economic instability, and political upheaval, and a populace that's confused, disappointed, angry and struggling with self-identity, patriotism, and a lack of freedom and rights.

The story is set in Cuba during both the late 1950s, as well as present day and is full of mystique, familial drama, heartbreak, secrets, deception, history, culture, c
Myrna
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good historical fiction and romance story written in dual timelines. The historical story, though, interested me more than the present-day one. The description of Cuba in this book is so beautiful! Hope to visit one day. I seem to be in the minority and not love this book. It has too much narrative, information dumping and dialogue in both timelines for my taste. Looking forward to Cleeton’s next book.
♆Hayley
4.5 S T A R S

If I close my eyes, I can almost see it; if I look straight ahead, my gaze fixed on the point beyond the horizon, I imagine I do. There’s a girl in a white dress, strolling along the Malecón, a white silk rose clutched in her hand, her dark hair blowing in the breeze. And there’s a boy...

...He will kiss her and everything will change.

This book broke my heart. I am deeply in love with it. Every time I think about it or try to talk about it I start to tear up. Seriously, go read this
Hollis
There's a violence to our history that gets lost somewhere in the telling, buried beneath beautiful scenery, the deceptively blue sea and sky, the palm trees swaying placidly in the breeze. It's the sound of firing squads that echo in the wind.

As a fan of Cleeton's light, yet angsty, funny and sexy air force series, I was looking forward to -- and greatly curious as to -- how she would tackle a heavier more historical family saga which was nothing like what she had offered us before. NEXT YEAR I
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, love, friendship, loyalty, memories.

I am going to try to keep this spoiler free, so it will be brief. But go buy this book.

Next Year in Havana is the loveliest blend of past and present. It is written beautifully, rich with imagery. The little details really make the settings come to life, whether it's Cuba during the revolution or in the present day. I loved how the story was split, how secrets were revealed.

I loved the exploration of family and friendship and loyalty. The inte
Libri Labra Book ...: * Next Year in Havana *SPOILERS* 1 8 Sep 02, 2018 02:44PM
Reese's Book Club...: Favorite Moments 9 313 Aug 15, 2018 01:26PM
Play Book Tag: Next Year in Havana - Chanel Cleeton - 4 tars 3 19 Aug 13, 2018 05:14PM
Reese's Book Club...: Questions for the Author 20 466 Aug 07, 2018 06:21PM
Valerie's Mega Aw...: August 2018 - Next Year in Havana 2 5 Aug 06, 2018 06:55AM
Play Book Tag: Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton--3 stars 7 23 Aug 02, 2018 10:14PM
Sign up for Chanel's monthly newsletter to receive exclusive news and updates about her next book- http://bit.ly/1tglPgi.

Chanel Cleeton is the USA Today bestselling author of Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick Next Year in Havana. Originally from Florida, Chanel grew up on stories of her family's exodus from Cuba following the events of the Cuban Revolution. Her passion for politics and history cont

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
  • The Woman in the Dunes
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
“Life is too short to be unhappy to play it safe. To do what is expected of you rather than follow your heart” 7 likes
“To be in exile is to have the things you love most in the world - the air you breath, the earth you walk upon - taken from you. They exist on the other side of a wall - there and not - unaltered by time and circumstance, preserved in a perfect memory in a land of dreams.” 5 likes