Start by marking “The Storyteller's Secret” as Want to Read:
The Storyteller's Secret

The Storyteller's Secret

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  84,530 ratings  ·  6,276 reviews

From the bestselling author of Trail of Broken Wings comes an epic story of the unrelenting force of love, the power of healing, and the invincible desire to dream.

Nothing prepares Jaya, a New York journalist, for the heartbreak of her third miscarriage and the slow unraveling of her marriage in its wake. Desperate to assuage her deep anguish, she decides to go to Indi

Published September 1st 2018 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Storyteller's Secret, please sign up.
Joyce Hutchison Like many books, I found the book picked up after 50% and I found the ending fascinating.
…more
(less)

·  84,530 ratings  ·  6,276 reviews

Start your review of The Storyteller's Secret
Barbara
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was my choice for this month's free Amazon prime book and I was very disappointed. If you know nothing about India or Indian culture and you don't mind a very predictable book with few twists or turns, then I'm sure it's an acceptable novel. If you do know even the basics about India then you'll soon spot it's a bit of a mess.

Jaya lives in America and decides to take a trip to India after suffering her third miscarriage and the breakdown of her marriage. She's responding to a letter her mot
Kat
Jaya is a New York journalist whose marriage is falling apart after several miscarriages. With her and her relationship at a breaking point, she goes to India to rediscover her heritage and look into her family’s past after learning that the grandfather she never knew is dying and her emotionally distant mother Lena, the man’s daughter, has refused to go see him. There she meets Ravi, the faithful servant and confidant to Amisha, the grandmother she never knew, who slowly unfolds the mesmerizing ...more
Bette Crosby
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely awesome book. I started reading and did not stop until the very last page. Great story, beautifully told. The culture, the setting, the pace, and the emotions were perfectly on target. 5+ Stars for me.
Elyse  Walters
The first few chapters begin in America with Jaya as the narrator. I was immediately pulled in - but found Jaya an annoying protagonist. I eventually warmed to her — but it took almost a dozen chapters. Regardless, the storytelling was engaging.

After several miscarriages...Jaya and her husband, Patrick, separate. Their communication was weak. Patrick moved out quickly.
Next we are introduced to Jaya’s parents. Jaya went to spend time with them - one night sleep over - hoping to find comfort...f
Ahw
Oct 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think I must have read a different book to everyone else, looking at the ratings and reviews. I was really looking forward to it - I've read lots about India and thought it sounded like an interesting premise. The problem was it was SO predictable - I even wrote the synopsis after I'd read about 15% of the book and gave it to my husband - and I was spot on.

That wasn't the real problem - the problem with the novel is that it just couldn't have happened and it was SO inconsistent. At one point
Apr 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
"Try a new genre," they said. "It'll be fun," they said. A real life friend who clearly doesn't realize the icy shriveled up state of my psyche gave me a copy of The Storyteller's Secret, calling it one of his favorite books ever. I gave it 100 pages before deciding that, while I might need a new genre, Hallmark-y emotional dramas about Finding Yourself in Foreign Travel™ and Reconciling with Your Difficult Past and Relatives™ are not it.

I'm also exactly the wrong person to feel sympathy for a
Zoeytron
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
A quiet read, free of twists and turns and other serpentine machinations.  The beauty is in the simplicity of the story.  Perspective is achieved in recognizing what some take for granted are the same things for which others yearn and will never achieve.  The freedom to make choices that will chart our destiny, the absolute value of a true friend.  Every story holds a secret.

This has been languishing on my Kindle for a very long time.  Although the story was a bit on the saccharin side for m
Gina
I don't even know where to begin with this book. I didn't read it, I devoured it. I lived it. It slowly brought me in and then refused to let me go. I read until my eyes needed toothpicks to stay open, and yet I kept reading. It is that good.

The book is written from two vantage points: those of the person telling the main story, Jaya, and the second is from the viewpoint of her grandmother, Amisha.

Jaya is reeling from her third miscarriage. A writer living in New York, the third miscarriage is m
Susan
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading books about India and thought this would be a winner but unfortunately it was too predictable and I figured out early on how it was going to end.

Thank you Lake Union Publishing and Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Linda
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have never written a Goodreads review before, but I am astounded this book got 4.47 stars. It was totally predictable, trite, cheesy, melodramatic, and basically read like a cheap romance novel set in India. The writing style was hard to stomach. I normally read 6 books a month and this took me 3 weeks because I couldn’t bring myself to pick it up and finish it. Spent endless hours playing FreeCell on my phone rather than pick up my Kindle. Not sure why I even finished it but if I make it half ...more
Karla Jay
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what this was about except the it was historical fiction and that could never be boring in my opinion. I loved the setting and have read very little about India during WWII. The writing was mesmerizing and the story was beautiful and tragic all at the same time. I highly recommend this book!
Stefanie
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know those books that just leave your heart and soul satisfied after reading it? Well, The Storyteller’s Secret was one of those books for me.
This book was one of my Kindle First picks and I’m so glad I picked this one. Not only did it keep me gripped from beginning to end it left me feeling lighthearted after reading it.
The Storyteller’s Secret tells the tale of two women, grandmother and granddaughter, one set back in India when the British were ruling and one set in modern day time.
Jaya,
Betsy Renzetti
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the book of the summer for me. I felt like i was right there in India with Jaya. I had to read this book in one day. Now i have to find a book that comes up to its excellence. Wonderful story, written sooooo well.
Melike
I know I am in the minority here, but I found this book boring and most of the characters unlikable especially Jaya. The story was predictable and it read like a cheesy, badly written romance novel. I also had nagging suspicions about the author's description of India that were later confirmed. When writing about other cultures more care needs to be taken, otherwise it ends up being a sloppy novel. ...more
Soly Azari
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could merely submit an eye roll
For my review , it would successfully summarize my feelings about this book. Sigh.
Shweta Ganesh Kumar
This novel is a well-written train wreck. While the modern part of the novel is relatable, the British Raj part is barely researched in terms of societal set-up and even amenities available at the time.
The basic writing is good, but the utter lack of research, even the basic kind, was a complete let down.
Princess under cover
it's 12 am and I've stayed up to read the whole book in 1 sitting, then spend time writing its review bc I can't wait, so you can believe that the book was good. So why just 3 stars? Actually, 3.5, rounded down. I'll explain: WARNING - SPOILERS AHEAD

What I loved about the book:

* The details about India, the caste system and the place of women, the beauty of Amisha and Stephen's love story

* The writing was good, though there were typos throughout that makes me feel it could have used a better, mo
Ceecee
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully written story which I liked and enjoyed but I can’t say I absolutely loved it and I can’t put my finger on why. The story is told of grandmother Amisha in India and granddaughter Jaya who is American. Jaya has suffered several miscarriages and from a health perspective cannot try again. Her marriage to Patrick fell apart under the psychological and physical strain. Jaya’s parents came to the USA from India on their marriage. Her mother Lena is remote and hard to reach emoti ...more
Staci
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is told in a dual timeline. Jaya’s narrative is modern day. She is struggling to cope with recurrent miscarriages and with the stress it’s putting on her marriage. Her relationship with her mother has always been distant and she has never understood the reason. Jaya decides to travel to India in hopes of meeting her grandfather, who is on his death bed. She learns many things about her family which give her a better understanding of her mother. She is also able to process her grief ov ...more
Harley
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book, fiction, read-2018
Rarely do we ever know the stories of our parents lives and understand what events made them who they became. And we almost never learn much about the lives of our grandparents. Jaya, the main character in this novel, has the good fortune to learn the crucial stories of both her mother and grandmother. This is an emotionally powerful novel and will touch people's hearts.
I did find the action to be very predictable. I guessed a key event long before it happened.
About a third of the way through th
Lorna Robinson
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book cried so many times, totally awesome.
Kerrin P
I had such high expectations and was disappointed with this story.

Sejal Badani has a beautiful writing style. I can see why so many people enjoyed the book. However, it was just too difficult for me to stretch my imagination to find the story of Jaya’s grandmother, Amisha, to be totally believable. First, intimate details of the grandmother’s life are being told by Ravi, who was not present during most of the scenes. Second, the grandmother was an uneducated Indian woman who spoke perfect Englis
Grant Mathews
Jan 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read this because it was highly rated both on Amazon and Goodreads, and it was free with Kindle Unlimited. Man, what an awful mistake. I will never read a book again just because I can. OR because you guys say it's good! Shame on anyone who votes this higher than 3 stars.

This book is so bad I feel like it has made me into a worse person.

Every female character is horribly weak and can't do anything without some guy telling her what to do. Like, I don't think there's a single female character t
Alaina
When I read this synopsis, it kind of reminded me of another book. No that the title or the actual synopsis. Nope just a book mentioned in the synopsis. It's weird, but I liked it.

In The Storyteller's Secret you will meet Jaya. Low-key, I liked getting to know this character. She was just so freaking refreshing and likable throughout the entire book. However, before I diveinto an actual review of this book I feel like I should confess something. I only really ever dove into this book because I w
Amy
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one, but it wasn't gearing up to be all that memorable. Then I found myself literally sobbing in the last 20% of it. I found that i had gotten more and more wrapped up and invested in it as it went on. Even minor characters were moving to me. Its a very well done book, and I greatly enjoyed it. Book club to discuss it is in 2 days. ...more
Sandi Mooney
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one came up as an August Prime First Reads. I recognized the author, I loved her first book, Trail of Broken Wings so I jumped on it immediately. Read it over just a couple days and loved this one too. A story of 3 women, grandmother, daughter and granddaughter, all facing different obstacles. It drew me in and I could hardly put it down.
Whitney
Overall: A sweet and light story about love, secrets, loyalty, and finding oneself. Told in two storylines and focused primarily in India, this is an easy, enjoyable, and quick read 3.5/5

Summary: Told in two storylines this book is focused on the stories of Jaya and Amisha. Jaya is a journalist in New York who has suffered from infertility and a failing marriage. After her third miscarriage, she leaves to India to visit family she has never met before and in hopes of finding herself. Jaya has a
Amy J RAREtte4Life
6++++++ ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
TOP READ OF 2018
KU and Free on Audible at the time of purchase.
I love epic life stories and getting immersed in foreign cultures.
READ THE BLURB. If you don’t like life/generational stories and/or you don’t know what you’re jumping into you may not enjoy it. Expect a slowly unfolding story, a story revealing life lessons of three generations. I fully enjoyed learning about Indian culture and fully appreciate positive changes women have seen in the last sixty plus years.
John McConnell
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is clearly targeted at women, just not intelligent women. The text is plodding and pedestrian. The plot has a few twists but is overall predictable. If I had a nickel for every time a female character "teared up", "held back tears" or "stifled a sob", I'd be rich. Happy endings abound. Can't recommend. ...more
Quirky Shauna
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. Trite. Predictable. The only slightly redeeming factor is her servant who becomes her friend.

• The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell
  • Paper Wife
  • When We Believed in Mermaids
  • What the Wind Knows
  • The Ragged Edge of Night
  • Where the Forest Meets the Stars
  • Have You Seen Luis Velez?
  • The Art of Inheriting Secrets
  • The Tuscan Child
  • The Four Winds
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
  • This Tender Land
  • The Dressmaker's Gift
  • The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
  • True Places
  • Yellow Crocus (Freedman/Johnson, #1)
  • Sea of Memories
  • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow
See top shelves…
A former attorney, Sejal Badani left the law to pursue writing full time. She is a bestselling author, Goodreads Fiction Award Finalist and ABC/DISNEY Writing Fellowship Finalist. When not writing, she loves reading and traveling. Bruce Springsteen, Beyonce, and Ed Sheeran are always playing in the background.

News & Interviews

“I can’t help but think when we have nothing else, when there are no answers, faith is our greatest ally.” 4 likes
“But it is not always the sun that must shine to have light. In darkness, we must seek out the stars. Their brightness has its own power.” 4 likes