Start by marking “Fusion for Beginners and Experts” as Want to Read:
Fusion for Beginners and Experts

Fusion for Beginners and Experts

A new book about love and friendship by New York Times bestselling author and creator of Steven Universe, Rebecca Sugar.

When Gems fuse, their forms combine to create a Gem that is bigger, stronger, and more powerful than they are apart. But more importantly, Fusion is a process built on love, trust, and communication. It's like a dance that is perfectly in sync, or a conv
Published December 26th 2017 by Cartoon Network Books

To ask other readers questions about Fusion for Beginners and Experts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fusion for Beginners and Experts

Liz
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Big topics can sometimes best be tackled with simplicity. This isn’t a story like The Answer but more a definition of fusion and the many ways it can happen and effects it can have. It’s a beautiful expression of the concept enhanced by gorgeous art.
Pixel Henn
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
HOW IS THIS NOT ADORABLE ??
Valerie
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple, beautiful, thoughtful, positive.
Samantha Puc
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rogues-portal
Penguin Random House send me an ARC of Fusion for Beginners and Experts in exchange for an honest review on Rogues Portal . Stay tuned for my thoughts!
Lisa
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just as beautiful in sentiment and imagery as one would expect from the creator of Steven Universe. Mostly soft pastels and ombré text, very easy to read, which gives the reader space to reflect on artistic choices and the profound concept.
Swankivy
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fusion for Beginners and Experts is a deceptively simple-looking book about relationships, told through the vehicle of the Steven Universe show’s fusion concept.

In the television show, fans get very excited at the prospect of getting to meet a new Fusion, because even though we know these characters very well by now, we still can never be sure who their Fusion will be. Relationships change us, and the “we” we become together can change us forever, so seeing that play out in the context of relati
Sarah Sammis
A book about consent.

The message is that all these things are good if you want them and the other person/people want them. If you don't, or they don't, then not doing it, saying no, is the right thing. It's done in a way that's completely in character for all the characters. It's not preachy but it gets some very important messages across.

Carol
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Awwww, this is such a cute book, about fusion, and about love. I love it that it's supposedly written by Garnet and Steven, because Garnet is the best person to write about fusion and how it should be. It's adorable that they mention that it's even ok not to fuse, because it's kinda like love, and you should be able to love or by if you want.
Julie Decker
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On the cartoon show Steven Universe, one of the most intriguing and nuanced aspects of this science fiction universe is the characters' ability to fuse--that is, to blend themselves together and become a new person. They have many reasons they might want to fuse: to become stronger and win a fight, to use special skills they only have together, to find out what it's like to change perspective, even to live together indefinitely as lovers. These Fusion characters are living relationships, and thi ...more
Benjamin Elliott
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this because I received a complaint about it from a patron who wanted me to know that this was just about sex and inappropriate for children. If you go in with that mindset, there isn't anything that is going to dissuade you from thinking that, but it is written broadly enough to be about dating relationships as a whole or even intense friendships. I won't be getting rid of it or moving it to another part of the library, despite this patron's issues with it.

For myself, the book was fine b
Amber
Um....this tried. The high praise it seems to be getting is not warranted. For someone who has never seen Steven Universe, this is a hard book to latch onto. Kid's would be completely confused by this. Confused in the sense that they wouldn't understand what this is dealing with. These are large and important topics between adults and older teens. Yes, it is important to teach kids about consent very early on, but this is not the way to do it. This needed an overarching metaphor with something t ...more
Anna
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have kids who love Steven Universe, they'll already know what fusion is. This book builds on the "fusion as metaphor for relationships" work that the show's already done, giving simple and thoughtful reflections in the importance of consent, boundaries, and common ground.

I am not a kid, and I don't have one, so I finished this (beautifully illustrated) book in under three minutes. That could have been disappointing, but far from it - I was tearful by the end. We can all stand to remind ou
Amanda
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book isn't so much about the story as the concept of "fusion" as a metaphor for relationships, both healthy and unhealthy. It beautifully sums up the same concept explored on the TV show, and the artwork alone makes this worth buying. It's really more of a collector's item than a storybook, in my opinion, but I'm glad I got my hands on a copy anyway.
Jim
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG! My fiancé got this for me after we got engaged. And it is so perfect.

I love how Rebecca Sugar relates fusing to love - and this is a beautiful book demonstrating how fusion - love - is.

Thank you my Althea!
Hazel
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A beautiful book, starring some of our favorite crystal gems. Garnet teaches us all about fusion, and about relationships good and bad.

Ahh Malachite is in this! I understand why, because bad relationships should be covered too but ahhh.
Devon Ashby
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was prepared in advance to give this book a glowing review, but as high as my expectations were, I was still blown away.

Steven Universe is amazing, thematically and creatively, and everything Rebecca Sugar does is better than the last thing.
Jennette
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a good book loved it! Plus I love Steven universe so that could be why.it teaches why u should or should not fuse.but the same rules can reply to relationships. Good vaules and great art along with a good message check it out.
Kitten Foxx
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fairly short but cute book. I wouldn't buy it unless you're looking to collect it, support the authour or rip out its pages to hang on your wall. It's only 64 pages, but it was a cute read. I love the art of Steven Universe and this is one I was excited to read.
Jes
I wouldn't use this for storytime, but I DO want it for my own personal collection. Beautiful art, beautiful message.
Casandria
Feb 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture
I felt kindof dirty after reading this.
Jorge Rosas
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely book, written by Garnet and Steven, with an easy and cute explanation about love and fusion.
Rhica
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A FANTABULOUS book about consent and figuring out what you need, what makes up boundaries and the ways we can communicate with each other openly and honestly. I love Peridot's pages!
Rachael
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is simple, adorable, and perfectly describes fusion <3 A must need for every Steven Universe fan!
Miss Ryoko
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Steven Universe. This was touching and beautifully illustrated. I think it's safe to say all Steven Universe fans will love this
Catherine Gilbert
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life affirming story and characters with beautiful artwork.
Jordan Carter
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, easy read.

Wonderful art work in a 35 page book. Great for all Steven Universe fans of all ages. Nice and easy read.
Lucina
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It awsome
Michael Hopcroft
Small but Insightful

This is definitely a book for those most familiar with the Crystal Gems and their world. But I liked it a lot for the art and the insight.
Phyll
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
interesting...
Rebecca Rea Sugar is an American animator, composer and director. She is best known for creating the Cartoon Network series Steven Universe, which has made her the first woman to independently create a series for the network