Start by marking “Landslide” as Want to Read:
Landslide

Landslide

Landslide is the story of Jill and her lifelong friend, Susie, who grow up in a remote mountain garden. The Garden's realm has many rooms, each a showcase of designs by Jill's mother. When tragedy strikes in the Garden, how does a child find the resilience to go on? Alternating between Jill's childhood and adult life, Landslide depicts the adventure that happens when life ...more
Published January 15th 2018 by Antrim House

To ask other readers questions about Landslide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Landslide

Judy
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
First...thank you so much Melissa Leet for sending this book to me. This was a Good reads giveaway. Because the mailing was so different, I decided to read right away. This is not the kind of book I would have picked to read otherwise. From the very beginning I could not put the book down. What a fantastic author. The author is able to show the reader the story through sites, emotions, tastes and smells. This is a book I will buy to give to friends. The story hits friends, families and all the g ...more
Martha
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a quiet gem of a book that holds you close until the very end. And when I closed the book I found myself sad to see the characters leave my life. An open hearted lovely read.
Dina
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
An emotional read filled with a few smiles and a lot of tears. The imagery and emotions evoked by Leet's words made me feel as if I were there in the Garden myself. The bonds between the characters, the love, the hardships, the loss... all beautifully written.

The only (minor) complaint I have is that the story jumps from present-day to the past and vice versa. At times it left me feeling a little disjointed.
Robert Reuter
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Landslide was a very enjoyable book with a interesting ending. I really liked this book.

Robert Reuter
Lindsey Mehgan
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The vivid imagery of this book draws you in and keeps you engaged. I often read it while commuting on public transportation - which I had to stop doing because I kept missing my exits! The stories within stories are highly developed without being overwhelming. The characters are realistic, relatable, and therefore lovable. Melissa’s command of language, knowledge of specifics, and understanding of the human condition are impressive. I can not recommend this book highly enough!
laurie  White
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
Thank you so much for the book! Melissa Leet, you are an amazing writer. Each time I read passages detailing the gardens I felt I was sitting right there. The friendship between the girls who grew up together was amazing. There was heartbreak and sadness but they were committed to one another. I will definently recommend this book to my friends. I will be watching for other books by this author.
Evangelina Del
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking loss, sadness, grief, trust, guilt, friendship, love and hope - who can not relate to any of these themes. Through it all there is the sanctuary of a garden so unique and so vivid I can smell it. Of course, let's not forget a friendship so prevailing to see Jill and Susie through it all and the sensitivity and humor of Giovanni!! Oh Goivanni...could we get more of him please? Perhaps in an upcoming sequel with Susie or a novella perhaps?
Joey Feldmann
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
First, many thanks to Melissa Leet who gifted me this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

This was a good book with well drawn characters. Although a little slow, eventually the looks at our main characters past very much informs how she is living out her present.

But what really impressed me in this book is the way it shows real, true, and authentic grieving. This is not a sad book; it doesn't go out of its way to make you cry. But the characters within it experience tragedy. And they face that tragedy
Nan
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could not put the book down and feel I will carry these characters with me a long time. Leet’s writing style holds you in the garden, or over the plate of calamari, or feeling the sun on your skin while sailing around SF Bay. The themes of loss and love, resilience and uncertainty, and all that makes life messy but so worthwhile run through the story. I am personally experiencing a lot of loss right now; but also hope. Landslide reminds me of all the layers and textures of life, and to stay pr ...more
Amy
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won this book from the giveaway section of Goodreads. My gripe with the novel is the way the author has chapters that go back and forth through Jill's 10-15 years of life through Jill's 24-30 years of life. Maybe the chapters should have been labeled Jill's younger life and Jill's older life. Or perhaps the author did the chapters the way she did so that the reader would feel little landslides along the way.

I love this challenge of reading this book.
Joy
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-wins
Page 391 "We have to be open to what life brings us" is what this book is all about you can plan your life all you want ,but sometimes you get a better life than what you ever dreamed of having.
Erika
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Landslide is riveting storytelling, full of characters that linger...including the setting which is a lush and provocative character in and of itself. Highly recommended.
Lilly Peterson
Jan 25, 2018
Kelly
Oct 27, 2017
Melissa Leet
Jan 23, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Lisa
Sep 22, 2018
Emma
Oct 18, 2018
Melissa Leet
Sep 22, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Frederick Rotzien
Jenn Fike
Alexandria
Brandy Backen
Oct 19, 2017
  • Neon (The Galaxy Guard Archives, #1)
  • Supercharge Your Motivation and Performance
  • A Muddy Red River
  • Compass Rose
  • GOD INSIDE THE FIRE: An Amazing True Story
  • Flip the Bird
  • Flash Burned (Burned, #2)
  • Ethics in Energy Medicine: Boundaries and Guidelines for Intuitive and Energetic Practices
  • Dead Fools
  • Looking for Clara
  • Sugar Scars
  • Loving a Lawman (Cattle Creek, #1)
  • Mist and Mirrors
  • Infinite Summer
  • The Trekker's Guide to the Picard Years
  • Taken (The Condemned Series, #2)
  • Possum Track Chronicles
  • Don't Let Me Down: A Memoir
Born and raised outside of San Francisco, Melissa Leet currently lives in Chicago with her husband Ken, her youngest son James, and their lovely Golden Retriever Neo. Her older children, Christopher, Dillon and William, are scattered across the U.S., attending university. When not in Chicago, Melissa is often out in the Wyoming wilds, listening to the quiet. Prior to living in Chicago, Melissa res ...more