Start by marking “My Morning Routine: How Successful People Start Every Day Inspired” as Want to Read:
My Morning Routine: How Successful People Start Every Day Inspired

My Morning Routine: How Successful People Start Every Day Inspired

ONE OF AMAZON’S BEST BUSINESS BOOKS OF 2018 SO FAR
ONE OF THE FINANCIAL TIMES BUSINESS BOOKS OF THE MONTH (MAY 2018)
ONE OF BUSINESS INSIDER’S BEST BUSINESS BOOKS TO READ THIS SUMMER

“The first few choices you make each morning determine whether you’ll be productive and mindful all day, or whether the world will clobber you over the head.”

Marie Kondo performs a quick tidying
Published May 15th 2018 by Portfolio (first published May 2018)

To ask other readers questions about My Morning Routine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Morning Routine

Nathan Mayer
Sep 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
It's nothing spectacular. I was interested in it at first because I have my own morning routine (we all do) but after reading thirty to forty pretentious douchebags drone on and on about how they can't start their day unless they run a half marathon and drink ice water from a melting glacier somewhere near Nepal while snacking on quinoa and flaxseed I decided I would rather bash myself in the head with the book than finish reading it. I get it: you're better than me. I learned nothing from the b ...more
Enzo Pérès-Labourdette
I thought this book was going to be great, but it's just not for me. It's extremely repetitive and way too American for my taste, the culture gap is just too big. By "successful" people they mostly mean productive, I can't imagine these people being happy. Also the constant capitalism and product placement get's incredibly annoying. Some of the people were interesting, mostly the non-American NY-ers that seemed more down to earth. It did make me think about what I want to do with my mornings, so ...more
7jane
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Further adventures in routines...this could be a good companion to Currey's "Daily Rituals".
This one focuses on morning routines, and possible evening preparation for it. It's meant to be an inspiring thing that can help us make mornings better, or add something useful to them. One can dip to certain persons or certain themes (in 10 chapters), or just read all.
Each chapter ends with further tips on the theme. At the end is the conclusion of what to do next, some statistics that can be gathered
Vanessa
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an interesting little book - although there's some repetition, I liked that not everyone followed the ban of looking at their phones first thing. I also like the categorisation of routines to help include people with kids and people who might travel a lot for work. I've picked up one or two things I'd like to practice which is great. Some of these are just crazy unrealistic though, but there had to be a few right?
Márcia Monteiro
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Easy to read. Has many interviews and experiences from successful people but very much the freelancer and “american dream” type of people. Missing the real world experiences....
Emily Duchon
my morning routine is one of those things i can't stand "tweaking." i'm my best in the morning--more creative, energetic, and fulfilled. throughout the day, those levels of positivity change. many of the tips in this book are things i normally do in the morning:
*exercise
*make coffee
*read a bit
*make the bed
anyway, if you're a morning person looking for inspiration, or would just LIKE to be more of a morning person, i think this has some insights that are worthwhile.

Manas Saloi
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love these kind of books where you can get distilled learnings from successful people who have created routines/frameworks which allow them to get the most out of their lives.

I completely changed my morning routine based on ideas from this book. Highly recommend it.
Valerie
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the stories. I have a morning routine that works for me but I like to hear what others do and see if any tweaks I want to make. I have a few in mind now.
Karen Ross
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little paperback oozes smugness from cover to cover - a procession of well-rested, zesty pre-dawn meditations, often accompanied by fresh coffee with a mysterious cherry aroma, followed by a full metal jacket sunrise workout and a disgustingly healthy breakfast, usually involving chia seeds.

I think Mark Wahlberg must've read it too . . . his morning routine, publicised this week, involving five pieces of steamed sweet potato, as it does.

Anyway, the book. It could have been a brilliant satir
Emma
What I liked most about this audiobook is that it fully catered to my nosiness. I just love hearing about what other people do with their lives (and judging them), so listening to so many peoples' morning routines was really interesting. What I didn't like was that pretty much every person included in this book had various privileges that most "average" people do not. I understand that the book was about how "successful" people spend their mornings, but I wish it featured more morning routines t ...more
Breanna
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Unrelatable.
Jennifer Jimenez
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prh
This is a really interesting book, and I'm going to be looking into buying this (took it out from the library). I feel like it has a lot of important information and advice for those of us who want to be a little more mindful or rested :)

LIKED: I enjoyed the way the book was put together, from everything from choices of who to interview, and the way the interviews and chapters were set up. One thing that I love and have taken from this book is when they ask if Shane Parrish uses apps or products
Amanda Seifried
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve enjoyed reading the blog over the years and was excited for the book.

The premise of the book is things you do in the day set the tone for the rest of the day. This book is not about telling you THE morning routine but encouraging you to find A morning routine that works for you. Ideally a morning routine helps you feel accomplished and primes your brain for the rest of the day.

It was generally a light read, that called heavily on blog content and reprinted many interviews in full. I wonder
Lana
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Collection of various morning routines. While this is definitely geared to people who work outside the home, there were some good nuggets that appealed to me to help me establish my own morning routine.

I could see some common themes in the responses: rising between 6-6:30, delaying picking up their phone, some sort of mindfulness activity, and reading.
elizabeth
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I like the newsletter, and generally like learning about the minutiae of people's lives. In book form, the topic was super repetitive. F
On the whole, famously productive people get up at 5am, work out for an hour every day, and meditate.
Stefani Lanteri
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting. Easy to read, practical. I’m even thinking about becoming a morning person myself.
Sara Vickers
Interesting to see the morning routines of highly successful people. Made me realize that a morning routine is something we should all create, even if it is spending a few extra minutes sipping your coffee, sitting with a loved one (furry or not), or catching up on a book. I can say I am way more aware of how the start of my day can affect the rest of it, because of this book. Highly recommend for people who don't have a morning routine yet.
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
Abandoned. The books is largely composed of interviews of successful people, but not a lot of quantitative or qualitative data. Felt a bit less useful to me, though I could see the interviews as inspiration for others.
Michael Huang
The collection of ideas of 64 successful people’s morning routines. It’s a varied lot: some people meditate, others work out, yet others check emails or read. In the end, whatever works for you works for you. But having a more or less fixed routine is a common thread among the lot.
Stephanie
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Good and informative
Han-Soo
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
from the moment you are awake, start a purposeful day.
Routine is sort of a guideline to make sure that you're on track to increase or maintain the productivity and have less time wasted.
Cathy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this little book that had descriptions of many different people's morning routines. It gave me several ideas of things to consider adding to my morning routine and made me realize that everyone is different and its important to find what works for yourself.
Jonathan
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Lots of good routines to sift through, but also a lot of meh ones. A lot of it was very "corporate" with successful people equaling wealthy business owners with home offices and their own schedules. Other bits of it were very bourgeois and pretentious. The ones that were more focused on getting outside and active, spending time with family/friends, and using your morning hours to read unrushed seemed much more substantial to me.

I read this more so to see what sort of enjoyable things I could be
Scott
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It was interesting to read what some of these successful people do in the morning. There were some good ideas and takeaways. For the most part though, it seemed a number of these people were not really working 9-5 jobs. They either worked from home or had very flexible schedules. For example, there were a number of people who said that they blocked off time until late morning or early afternoon to have meetings so that they could get more done. Not sure most people have that ability. A number of ...more
Mark Levison
Not as good as I had hoped.

If you are looking for many snippets from people's morning routines, then this is your book. But if, like me, you are looking for a more substantial, in depth look at morning routines, then you will be disappointed. Think appetizer vs main meal. I have some ideas but I am not satisfied.
Jon
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent book but I liked Hal Elrod’s “Miracle Morning” much better.
Gints
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“All of life is an experiment. The more experiments you make, the better.” –Ralph Waldo Emerson

(view spoiler)
Kristen
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mindfulness
I really enjoyed this book! It reminded me of the importance of morning routines. I had my first child when I was 19 and my second child when I was 20. Over the years of parenting, I also worked my way through college, finishing up grad school a few years ago. My mornings have not been my own until very recently. My children are now close to finishing up high school and I no longer have to wake in the wee hours of the morning to have quiet time for completing schoolwork. Needless to say, it is s ...more
Laura | What's Hot?
My Morning Routine is the latest self-help book making waves. It contains interviews with some influential and important business minds about their morning routines and methods for optimal productivity. It includes thoughts from “successful” authors, CEOs, entrepreneurs, artists and more. But is it as good as they say it is?

My Morning Routine has been named one of the best business books of 2018 by Amazon, business book of the month by the Financial Times and one of the best books to read this
Breon Randon
Wanted to love it. Mostly found myself getting irritated with every damn person they interviewed. The problem with interviewing successful people is that they tell you about their lives NOW, not on their way up. These people seem to be writers & CEOs across the board, and this book reeks of privilege.

For instance, several people here say they get up at 6 or 7 ( understandable) but they don’t feel complete until they read SEVERAL newspapers and work out not once (for an hour) but TWICE in th
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Leap: Leaving a Job with No Plan B to Find the Career and Life You Really Want
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • The Organized Student: Teaching Children the Skills for Success in School and Beyond
  • Confessions of an Ivy League Frat Boy: A Memoir
  • Get It Done: From Procrastination to Creative Genius in 15 Minutes a Day
  • Happy Together: Using the Science of Positive Psychology to Build Love That Lasts
  • Were You Born on the Wrong Continent?: How the European Model Can Help You Get a Life
  • Swingland: Between the Sheets of the Secretive, Sometimes Messy, but Always Adventurous Swinging Lifestyle
  • Time to Parent: A Blueprint for Organizing Your Life While Raising Kids
  • Never Be Late Again: 7 Cures for the Punctually Challenged
  • Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory: A Journey Into the Evangelical Subculture in America
  • Off the Clock: Feel Less Busy While Getting More Done
  • Applied Empathy: The New Language of Leadership
  • This Is Your Brain on Sports: The Science of Underdogs, the Value of Rivalry, and What We Can Learn from the T-Shirt Cannon
  • The Book of Jezebel: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Lady Things
  • If You're In My Office, It's Already Too Late: A Divorce Lawyer's Guide to Staying Together
  • Getting Back to Happy: Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Reality, and Turn Your Trials Into Triumphs
  • The Wealthy Renter: How to Choose Housing That Will Make You Rich
BENJAMIN SPALL is the founding editor of the online magazine My Morning Routine. He has written on the topic for outlets including the New York Times, the New York Observer, Quartz, Entrepreneur, Business Insider, and more.
“SHEENA BRADY CEO of Tease Tea, merchant success lead at Shopify When you’re working two jobs at once and you’re trying very, very hard not to multitask.” 0 likes