Start by marking “Down to No Good” as Want to Read:
Down to No Good

Down to No Good

Paperback
Published November 7th 2017 by Story Plant

To ask other readers questions about Down to No Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down to No Good

Linda Strong

Charlie Miner is a Private Detective, a single dad to his teenage daughter. He is also dead ...well, sort of. Seems like he underwent some experimental therapy to end his addiction to drugs and the fact that he cannot be killed is a result of that.

Very few people know this, but Homicide Detective Dave Putnam is one who does, And when Putnam gets information about three murders by a woman who bills herself as a psychic, his first thought is of Charlie.

Charlie is still rocking from his last death
Wendy
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4000-books, oct-17
I thoroughly enjoyed Earl Javorsky's debut novel "Down Solo".
In "Down To No Good" Charlie Miner is back. A wise cracking private investigator, hooked on heroin, wakes up on a slab in the morgue with a hole in his head. He is able to leave and re-enter his body at will.
Charlie receives a call from Homicide Detective Dave Putnam asking for his assistance to investigate a self-proclaimed psychic who has given critical information about 3 murders. However, Charlie, just weeks after being murdered, i
Col
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, j
Synopsis/blurb....

An edgy and intense thriller with a touch of the paranormal.

Private investigator Charlie Miner, freshly revived from his own murder, gets a call from Homicide Detective Dave Putnam. Self-styled "psychic to the stars" Tamara Gale has given crucial information about three murders, and the brass thinks it makes the Department look bad. Dave wants Charlie to help figure out the angle, since he has first-hand experience with the inexplicable. Trouble is, Charlie, just weeks after hi
Susan Hampson
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I only took a couple of days in between reading the first book in the series and this one. This story more or less carries on where the other left off, or that is the feeling that I got. There are little recaps as gentle reminders of stuff that has already taken place but I would say read book one because it is just pure entertainment, so do it for the pleasure rather than need.
Charlie Miner has to be one of the worst down and out sort of P.I’s that I have come across. OK he did start off with a
Darcia Helle
Dead is dead, except when it's not. Charlie Miner can't seem to stay dead. This story takes on an intriguing concept that challenges our perceptions of the body, the mind, and death.

'Down to No Good' is the second book in the Charlie Miner Series. I didn't read the first book, and I highly recommend you don't make the same mistake. I felt lost at the start, and I can only assume that's because this book picks up where the first one left off. There isn't much in the way of introduction to the cha
Shell Baker
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Down To No Good is the second book in the Charlie Miner series. The author gives us plenty of background information so this can be read has a standalone You can check my read review out for Down Solo here. https://chellesbookreviews.blogspot.c... if you fancy the first one.

In this book we catch up with Charlie weeks after his near death experience with a broken down marriage and doing his to look after his daughter Mindy and finds himself involved on a case after a phone call from David about P
Leo Robertson
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun twist on the noir thriller--private detective who can't be killed!

Worth your time if you like the sound of that premise :D
Margaret Tidwell
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
FTC: I received a free copy of this book from Partners In Crime in exchange for my honest review. I received no other compensation and the opinions expressed in this review are one hundred percent true and my own.

Down To No Good by Earl Javorsky was such a unique story, and I loved that. I have read tons of books, and I love when I find books like this one because I have a hard time figuring out what is going to happen. This is the second book in this series, and you don’t have to read them in o
Amy Shannon
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A new investigation

This is a sequel story to Down Solo, and I never read the first one, but this story does not require the first one be read. It can pretty much stand on its own. I do wish I read the first one, and I will one day. I liked Charlie, and he has his own way about him, which makes him a unique and especially talented for investigations. And, Charlie is still getting used to dealing with his own murder. It's a definite unique story, with a twist on an old staple of investigations. It
Cheryl
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This is my first read by author, Earl Javorsky. The paranormal aspect of this book was good. I liked that the main character was a newly resurrected PI. It gave Charlie personality. Yet, behind every resurrected person is a good friend. In this case, it is Homicide Detective Dave Putnam. Dave was likable. He may have some flaws but that is what name him human and what I liked about him. Together these two make a good team. Throw in a psychic and you have a real party.

Speaking of psychic's; Tama
Bill
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Private eye, Charlie Miner, has the unusual ability to leave his body and ‘walk around’ leaving his body behind to investigate problems that need solutions – his job, after all –and he can also ‘mend himself’, fill in bullet holes in his head, for example, and come back to life, as when we first meet him in this book. But he is also a strung out druggie, needing various chemicals to keep him active.

His friend, the alcoholic police detective, Dave Putnam, is the one who arrives too late on a mur
Lelia Taylor
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: full-reviews

Charlie Miner is a most unusual man. He's a private investigator, a single father to a teenaged girl, a drug addict and, oh yeah, he can't die. That last is because of an experimental therapy that resulted in a very unexpected side effect. Not many people know this about Charlie but his friend, Dave, does and has pretty much accepted this state of affairs even if he doesn't understand it and finds it really hard to believe. Dave has his own failings but he and Charlie are good friends.

D
Adam Lottes
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's good to see Charlie Miner back in action. And this time around he is in more control of his new found abilities and once again puts them to good use. He also partners with Dave Putnam, a cop dedicated to his job and somehow takes Charlie's new abilities in stride.

Together they come to grips with the riveting events at the close of Down Solo (Charlie Miner book #1). Both handle it in their own way. Before you it they are back in action, sucked into a bizarre string of murders that have one t
Michelle Willms
Down to No Good is a really weird, strangely captivating mystery revolving around reanimated (for the second time) Private Investigator Charlie Miner. He’s just been killed again, so his brain isn’t working as well as it once did. While he waits for it to (hopefully) kick back into gear, he tries – sometimes – to be a better father to his daughter, drinks a lot, takes drugs, and generally tries to be an unlikable character.

In spite of Charlie’s overall unlikability, I found myself greatly enjoy
Jessica Bronder
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tamara Gale is a psychic that has made some predictions to the police that turn up to be the truth. Detective Dave Putnam is not impressed but calls in Charlie Miner to find out what is going on. Dave is one of a few people that really know Charlie’s situation and hopes that he can shed some light on Tamara. The trouble is Charlie is still trying to figure out his current condition and is having some troubles that might get Dave and himself killed.

This is a great story with Charlie back trying
Lawrence Maddox
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Charlie Miner is used to waking up in the morgue. After going through a Mexican detox ritual to kick a ferocious drug habit, Charlie has the ability to supernaturally heal himself of point blank gun shot wounds. He can also leave his body at will and see things others can’t, a skill that is useful to homicide detective Dave Putnam. Dave enlists Charlie and his special abilities to stop a deadly psychic whose predictions bring murder. Charlie must survive his raging drug addiction to stop a final ...more
Jay Phillippi
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Earl Javorsky brings back the most interesting new detective of the last several years. Charlie Miner first appeared in 2014 in "Down Solo", a book that grabbed from the first sentences. The slick combination of the supernatural and murder mystery continues with this second installment. In addition to being dead (but not a zombie he wants us to know), Charlie is still a junkie, divorced from a crazy ex, and trying to do better as a dad. Then there is the whole trying to figure out the being dead ...more
Seamus O'Connor
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading Down To No Good, by Earl Javorsky. What a ride!
If you have not yet met Charlie Miner and his Los Angeles cop friend, Dave Putnam, in the previous book, Down Solo, you have a new treat in store.
Javorsky – to paraphrase Charlie – is a hell of a writer. The prose fairly snaps and sparks as he takes you on a breathless hunt for a killer while exposing a demonic psychic fraud. If you start reading this at bedtime, believe me, you are going to miss your beauty sleep.
I will not
Laura Reading
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had no preconceived ideas about this book. The thought of investigating a psychic interested me. I didn't realize Charlie Minor had such difficulty dying. He is a devoted father despite being a drug addict. He also cannot stay off the shady side of the law, even when working somewhat alongside Detective Dave Putnam.
Much of this is Dave's story. It is gritty, dangerous and unpredictable. Part police procedural (although definitely not by the book) part psychic con job with added stalker hit ma
T.F. Allen
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my first time reading a book from this author. I picked this title because the genre is similar to the one I write. The writing and story kept me engaged the entire time. This was a fast, entertaining read!

Charlie's voice was fresh and immediate, written in first person present. The other main character, Dave Putnam, is a jaded cop who will do anything to catch the bad guy. Each of these characters seem to be on their last leg throughout the story, always teetering on the edge of physica
Alec Cizak
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Todd Morr
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice mix of good old-fashioned hard-boiled P.I. crime fiction and the paranormal. Javorsky keeps the balance right as formally dead P.I. Charlie Miner and tough but troubled cop Dave Putman try to solve a series of crimes connected to psychic while dealing with their own messed up lives. More crime fiction than paranormal but this is a solid crime tale given a unique bit of flavor with supernatural elements fans of both genres should dig this one.
Adele
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave the first book in this series a 'weird but brilliant', this is not as weird but is just as brilliant. I love the characters and the easy writing of Javorsky, writing from Charlie Miner's perspective is really interesting. Hope there are more in this series.
Rachel
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Good. Much better than Down Solo. I think it helps to read them back to back. More review later.
Cheryl
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-read
This is the first book I have read by this author and really enjoyed it. A mystery with a hint of supernatural. It is the sequel to DOWN SOLO but easily read as a stand-alone.

As the synopsis states, Tamara Gale, a known psychic has given the Police Department information about 3 murders. Is she legit? Should the Department rely on her “gift”? And then she predicts more incidents, bigger and more devastating.

With a cast of characters, all with their own personal baggage and defective personalitie
Caroline Jenkins
Nov 10, 2017
Kathy
Apr 28, 2018
Earl Javorsky
Jun 01, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Crystalann
Mar 13, 2018
James Hayman
is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2018
Earl Javorsky grew up in Los Angeles and attended the local community college and UCLA. He then went to Emerson College, a teacher training school in England. Besides having written two published novels, he has created strategically optimized content (blogs, feature articles, and web pages) for treatment centers throughout the country, taught music at Pepperdine University (Malibu campus), worked ...more