Start by marking “Love Undocumented: Risking Trust in a Fearful World” as Want to Read:
Love Undocumented: Risking Trust in a Fearful World

Love Undocumented: Risking Trust in a Fearful World

Will you beware or be welcoming?

As a young Christian, Sarah Quezada had a heart for social justice. She was also blissfully unaware of the real situations facing today's immigrants. Until she met someone new. . . who happened to be undocumented.

In Love Undocumented, Quezada takes readers on a journey deep into the world of the U.S. immigration system. Follow her as she wal
Published December 21st 2017 by Herald Press

To ask other readers questions about Love Undocumented, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Undocumented

Start your review of Love Undocumented: Risking Trust in a Fearful World
Rachel (Words With Rach)
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am so thankful that I decided to read this book. Honestly, I did not know what to expect when I read the title and description. But as a believer who knew next to nothing about immigration laws and how all of this relates to Scripture this book is gold. Obviously, this has been a hot topic in the recent years and an even bigger issue in the most recent election. Throughout this last election I found myself wanting to know more.

The author Sarah Quezada is a Christian who is married to a former
Denise Hershberger
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've followed Quezada's blog for quite a while, so I knew some of her and her husband's back story but I enjoyed reading a more detailed description of everything from how they met to where they are today. I appreciate her candor as she tells their story. I also find her sincerity refreshing as she admits how little she knew in the beginning about immigration and how much she has learned. Of course I also enjoyed reading about their dating relationship and how they fell in love.

The balance in th
Carolina Hinojosa-Cisneros
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-justice
Sarah Quezada's, Love Undocumented brought back all of these memories of what it must have been like for my mother as she married an immigrant willing to sacrifice it all to obtain the American Dream, for all that means at this juncture in life.

Quezada takes us on an educated biblical journey of meeting, falling in love with, and marrying Billy, an undocumented immigrant from Guatemala. Absent of the romance novel language, she defines different laws and political acts to help us understand the
Rachel Kulik
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I read and review books at Rachel's Reading. For more like this, check it out!

I was so glad when I was given a copy of this book from Net Galley. I have worked in migrant communities a lot here in Arizona and was excited to read a book from a Christian perspective. This book is much more of a memoir to me than a book with lots of information about migration, and undocumented migrants. However, that doesn't mean it's i
Michelle Kidwell

Herald Press

Christian , Religion & Spirituality
Pub Date 21 Dec 2017

I am reviewing a copy of Love Undocumented Through Herald Press and Netgalley:

This book deals with the issues of immigrants both legal and illegal. Love Undocumented brings the issues of immigrants to light.

In this book we will see how Sarah Quezada and a new friend meets with lawyers, stands at the borders and meets with immigrants in detention centers. With Bibli
D.L. Mayfield
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced and based around her own personal narrative, Quezada is masterful at weaving in complex history and statistics about immigration in the US and what it means to have a robust theology of hospitality in an age of demonizing and vilifying the other. The truth of the US immigration system is something that should break all of our hearts, and stir us towards actions that look like brotherly and sisterly love in action.
Rachel
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoyed every word of this book. Maybe "enjoy" isn't the right word. There were so many heartbreaking facts. I knew much of what was stated because my husband and I have gone through the immigration process and one of my dear friends is an immigration attorney. We regularly collaborate because I work with many undocumented children. However, I think Quezada did a great job of making these facts and her personal story accessible to the reader. My hope is that people of faith would pick up this ...more
Mary Brooks
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was better than I could have imagined. A subject that has the potential to make people become awkward and nervous was broached with class and candor making it approachable for suburban white girls like me. I highly recommend this read! It was truly a pleasure to read, thought-provoking, and funny.
Elizabeth Baker
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love Undocumented is such an important book for our time, especially for Christians. There is so much misinformation being spewed about immigrants, and Sara Quezada does a great job of giving clear facts about the challenges facing immigrants trying to make a life in the United States. She also beautifully calls for Christians to respond with love and grace instead of fear and mistrust.
Adam Houser
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another Sunday school class book. I appreciated Quezada's honesty in telling her own story and the story of others that struggle through the path to citizenship in the United States. She does a great job of combining her story with scripture and with current events surrounding the issue of citizenship and immigration.
SaraJane
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a timely read with all that is happening in our country.

pg. 11 "Love is the most powerful motivation I know. Of course, we know that fear and anger have a major impact on our society, in both intimate and public arenas."

pg. 20 "Are we taught how to thoughtfully engage with people who are unfamiliar?....Barriers like language, religion, and cultural customs - not to mention the fact that communities are segregated by race and class - make relationships between native-born citizens and immig
Nathan Meyers
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love Undocumented is a fantastic memoir. Each chapter tells a part of Sarah's life story and shares facts about a different aspect of immigration. Each chapter reads like a captivating blog entry. Her personal narrative is wonderful, dating and marrying an undocumented immigrant and pursuing his citizenship together. Likewise, the facts she shares on immigration, while by no means comprehensive, are really good and taught me a lot.

While this book is a great memoir, Sarah's discussion of the Bibl
Carolyn Lind
Falling in love with an undocumented immigrant, Sarah discovers the reality of his world. The reader learns with her as page by page she uncovers the surprises and difficulties. This book offers helpful information that is tied to the interesting narrative of Sarah's challenges and choices.

A couple quotes to remember: "Laws are designed from the perspective of and for the interests of those in power." -p. 178

"God has welcomed us into an expansive family and offered us citizenship in a kingdom t
Cindy Lopez
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exploring the response of the church to immigration in the context of one journey and experience with an undocumented loved one, Love Undocumented unpacks some of the complexities and asks that we consider what our humanity and Christ's love requests of us. Written like a memoir, the book also has context through interviews and facts that help us see and feel what her experience was like as well as of others.

If you're curious about what it can look and feel like to be undocumented or to become
Heather Caliri
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's not often I read a book about a tough topic, full of challenging information, and also keep flipping pages, eager to know how the story ends. Sarah Quezada's LOVE UNDOCUMENTED achieves that aim because her portrait of our inhumane immigration system centers on her family's compelling story. I'm fairly well acquainted with the Orwellian indignities of our laws; still, Quezada's book continually surprised me with new information, sound Biblical insight, and compassionate calls for engagement. ...more
Heather
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a charming personal story of navigating the complexities of the US immigration system. Quezada intersperses her personal story with information about immigration law and useful statistics. While I'm not sure she'd convince die-hard anti-immigration folks, I think her arguments are compelling for those who are pro-immigrant but also want people to obey the law. My biggest takeaway is how having a personal relationship with immigrants puts all the theoretical arguments into perspective and ...more
Karen
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Quezada writes a beautiful book about her journey through the immigration system after she falls in love with and marries an undocumented immigrant. I love the hospitality and warmth with which she writes about a topic that is often divisive and polarizing, particularly for Christians. She invites the reader into her journey from her naivety about the plight of immigrants to walking with and advocating for them. Along the way, she sprinkles in shocking data about our lack of knowledge abou ...more
Jodie Pine
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A personal look into the current immigration system through the author's engagement and eventual marriage with an undocumented immigrant. She writes "I valued standing in solidarity with immigrants harmed by an outdated immigration system, but I was also afraid to lose something in the process. I wanted to be engaged in the world and to stand up for justice, but with the assurance that I could retreat to safety whenever the flames got too hot. Mateo's declaration of our potential exile would req ...more
Mermaid Harmony
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I just finished this. Best book I've read this year, and I've read quite a few. But, if you don't know what you think about immigration, or do know what you think, read this book.

We make policy and decide where we stand because of 'rules' and 'what we'd do' but this is a beautiful piece of writing that shares the stories, heartache, and experience of a few people in their story. It calls us to remember the image of God in everyone. Not just the people you sit next to at church.
Oh, man. Just
Kristen Young
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Absolutely incredible. It is a beautifully written story, about a beautifully written story. Through an empathetic viewpoint, Sarah talks about what it was like to be in a relationship with an undocumented immigrant and the difficulties and hardships that brings. While I'm sure that's not the love story her or her now husband Billy envisioned for themselves, it is super encouraging to hear how God was with them the whole time. I am so so inspired by them, and I can't wait to get more involved in ...more
Dorothy Greco
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are several hugely important issues that Americans need to wrestle with and immigration is one of them. Sarah Quezada has written super helpful book about her experiences meeting, falling involve with and eventually marrying someone who found himself in citizenship limbo. I'd recommend this to anyone, but particularly those who might feel like the US needs to have tougher border/immigration policies!
Mazie Lynn
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sarah is a neighbor and friend, so I loved hearing her voice on these pages and learning more about her love story. She is shining a thoughtful light on immigration in America with a personal account of her own experience of it as well as details of the system that grabbed my heart and mind. Sarah's work will be of interest to those well-versed on this topic as well as those new the conversation and looking to learn more.
Deb Kellogg
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stepping into the Immigration Battle

This book had only one fault-it ended. I want to know more about the author as she travels her faith journey. I have a much better understanding of how the Immigration system is failing so many. I hope our elected officials read Sarah's memoir. Our family has enjoyed many conversations about religion and what can be done to help our neighbors. Thank you so much Sarah Quezada!
Lisa
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a needful book in pressing times. Sarah offers us a beautiful look at what it means to love and the complicated nature of our current immigration system. God calls us to welcome the stranger and Sarah leads the way in this book. To better know the rocky road of becoming an American citizen read the journey of the Quezada's. Know their story is one of many. Hear the call to respond.
Babs
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting , eye-opening and honest account of their journey through the US immigration process. It's an area drastically needing repair, and hopefully many will read this and other such writings and push their representatives to get busy and do the hats right! Certainly immigration is complex, but it has become senseless in it's complexity and many fees and forms!
Hiker04
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Read this in anticipation of a trip to Guatemala. Had already begun my journey of learning of the hurdles our immigrant brothers and sisters face when trying to emigrate. My teenage grandchildren were to go with me. Our trip is on hold due to Covid 19 but I want them to read it beforehand so they can put faces and voices to the noise that permeates the media.
Chara
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Storytelling woven with a hot-topic in ways that can express the heart of the issue without the aftertaste of political agenda. I am thankful for a book that takes the reader into personal experience while also providing an education.
Gowdy Cannon
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very helpful read in many ways with useful data and also narrative to make is personal. Like a lot of info on social media, however, it at times conflates the role of individual Christianity with the role of government.
Brent
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is a lot of fear about immigrants in America today. This books describes the challanges of immigration through a personal story. It is a good read for anyone who thinks it is too easy for immigrants to flood our borders and we need to do more to keep these people out.
Renee Gilhart
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me realize that I don’t know what I don’t know and you can’t get all your information from mainstream news outlets. The love story is very heart warming and the details and history about immigration in the United States is eye opening. Thank you to the author for sharing this.

• Welcoming the Stranger: Justice, Compassion Truth in the Immigration Debate
  • The Ministry of Ordinary Places: Waking Up to God's Goodness Around You
  • The God Who Sees: Immigrants, the Bible, and the Journey to Belong
  • Miracles and Other Reasonable Things: A Story of Unlearning and Relearning God
  • The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism
  • Be the Bridge: Pursuing God's Heart for Racial Reconciliation
  • Glorious Weakness: Discovering God in All We Lack
  • Jesus Feminist: An Invitation to Revisit the Bible's View of Women
  • Holy Envy: Finding God in the Faith of Others
  • You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit
Sarah Quezada is a writer and nonprofit professional in Atlanta, Georgia. She has a master's in sociology and more than a decade of experience working across cultures and leading conversations about justice, faith, and serving among the poor. Her writing has been published in Christianity Today, Relevant, Sojourners, and InTouch Ministries, among others. She and her husband, Billy, who emigrated f ...more

News & Interviews

“Lack of relationship is a breeding ground for fear. Fear and anxiety pervade the conversation about immigrants and refugees....fear is escalating isolation, which yields even more insecurity and uncertainty.” 2 likes