Start by marking “I Used to Know That (Stuff You Forgot from School)” as Want to Read:
I Used to Know That (Stuff You Forgot from School)

I Used to Know That (I Used to Know That)

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  1,351 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
Facts from School You Forgot to Remember....

Take an entertaining trip back to the classroom with I Used to Know That. Witty, engaging, and fun, this little book will appeal to the student in each of us. A one-of-a-kind collection of hundreds of facts learned long ago, it includes:

Our Changing World: Test you knowledge of the latest geography.

Prose and Poetry: From Shakespe
Published March 5th 2009 by Reader's Digest Association (first published May 22nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about I Used to Know That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Used to Know That

Megs ♥
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who is really bored.
Shelves: z-2012-reads, e-books
This was the "Free Book Friday" selection this week for the Nook, and the blog I found it on marked it with the tagline New Year, Smarter You. Do I think this book makes you smarter? Not really. It is still an interesting and very quick read, anyway.

It started off with English, and I skimmed that. English was the only thing in school I actually did like and remember. For those who are interested it was just a quick rundown of sentence structure and famous authors.

Then came the math section. Admi
Eastofoz
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Reference book lovers who like a fun read
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Kathrynn M.
Shelves: dictionaries-ref
An unexpected surprise for this book with a very à propos title. How many times have you tried to remember the answer to say a geography question and you thought to yourself in frustration: I used to know that!! I thought it’d be a bit dryish but far from it. This is the kind of book you want on your shelf if you’re one of those people who likes to look up fast facts that you “may” have forgotten from those bygone school days, but you never seem to have gotten around to getting it. Sure you can ...more
Kathryn
This book was a Free Fridays selection on the Nook a while back. It's a collection of various facts that the author believes you have forgotten from school. It's not bad as a shallow survey of general knowledge.

The author does get a few things wrong, though. For example, when talking about temperature measurements, she says incorrectly that Kelvin is a relative scale like Celsius and Fahrenheit. This is not true. A kelvin is a unit; it's one of the seven base SI units and is defined as the fract
Salymar
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intellectually done! :3
I actually enjoyed the history section of this book ;)
stormhawk
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to stormhawk by: Mollyjr
Cute collection of assorted factoids that should have been part of one's education. Perfect book to leave in the "executive reading room" for those contemplative moments.
Joy
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this would have worked better in a print edition (I listened to it on audio). Tedious lists, particularly in the history and geography section. Yes it did remind me of a few things I had once known, but for the most part was just things I still remembered (like most of the maths) and things that were of no interest to me. - it wasn't really presented in an entertaining manner at all. I was expecting more from this.
Cherie (Myst)
A funny little book that gives an overview of a variety of topics from well known Authors, Artists & Poets, to school Maths, English, Science, and general things like country capitals, world religions etc. Includes a lot of lists. Does it with a bot of humour. It is pretty much 50% stuff you already know and 50% stuff you probably learnt at school and have never had to remember since so you have promptly forgotten (unless you are a teacher or whatnot!).
Andrea
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2017
Fun little overview of some of the stuff you may have learnt at school (at least if you're British). Not surprisingly, I found the chapters on the stuff I'm interested in (like literature and history) more interesting to read (I actually only skim read the maths and science chapters, so I still have no idea how to do quadratic equations).
Bob Cantrell
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book brought back fond memories of school days of not. I will say it did helped explain a few things about some subjects I missed thank goodness. Just an enjoyable reading. Read it and have some sweet memories of nightmares about high school.
Jennie
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book of some of the bits you learn at school and never think about again! some of the areas are naturally out of date now, but nonetheless a quick walk down the school memory lane.
Jerome Toon
A fun book and a great refresher....
Emma Dargue
Good book to recap knowledge definitely one to dip when you need to refresh your knowledge.
Simon
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was bought for me as a bit of a joke by my son but for all that, I have kept it rather than recycle to Oxfam. I still use it to look things up, with a smile every time and a comment about not remembering things from school. Useful and, for me, amusing....
Eugenio Fouz
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this manual months ago during a short stay in England. I loved the easy way the author deals with school learning, basic notions to remember if you like culture and education and so on.
(It reminds me those other manuals in our country (Spain) who were written by a Spanish teacher. These were extremely popular here "Enciclopedia Álvarez". Nowadays, these books might be considered old-fashioned. Of course, the series is ideal for collectors of knowledge. The problem is the portion of doc
Norm Davis
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who forgot something they already know.
Recommended to Norm by: Featured as a free nook book.
If you have no basic education or for whatever reason you managed to skip that effort society pressed on you back then, then this is a good book to study. I wouldn't really call it reading. It touches on those things which we have forgotten as we rarely or never really needed to know them. Degrees Kelvin? I'm sure there's a place for it and it is very handy for some folks but me... I've only heard it mentioned in relation to the Sun or other astronomical discussions. So telling you this is a bet ...more
Terri M.
Thanks to #COYER Blackout, I dug through my back Nook catalogue and found this gem which was a free Friday download at some point. I’m almost certain I got this book with the full intention of loaning it to my husband because I was less than thrilled with it by the time I was finished.

The concept for this non-fiction fact filled book is simple—“You know all the stuff you learn in high school and forgot? Well, here it is in just over 100 pages.” I was hoping to learn some fun new facts and actual
Patty Hearts Dave
How many times did you learn something for school just to pass a test? After the test was over so was the knowledge of that subject. In this book you'll be reminded of all the "stuff" you forgot. All the basic subjects of English, Literature, Math, Science, History, Geography, and General Studies are covered in this book.

Who was Booker T. Washington? How do you find the mode of a set of values? What exactly happens during the Carbon cycle? What were the Napoleonic Wars about? What are the three
Cara
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good! I'm pretty sure I never learned half of the history stuff, or the grammar terms though, so I did learn some new things too!
Corinne Edwards
Aug 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, non-fiction
What a snappy little book! It's divided into sections, as if I was still in high school and had to walk from one class to another: English, Literature, Math, Science, History, Geography and General Studies. Some sections I read with relish from beginning to end (English and Literature) some I read part/skimmed part (Math and Science) and the others I happened to read aloud to my husband in the car. The history section was so interesting and the topics (mostly conflicts) were condensed in such a ...more
Reader's Paradise
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Headline: I Forgot to Remember this

When Borders was going out of business that was an opportunity for this book collector and avid reader to buy books I would otherwise pass up. I Used to Know That Stuff was one of those books, and I am very glad I didn't leave it on the shelf; my only regret is that I didn't buy more copies.

This handy little book takes the reader back to the classroom and reinforces equations and rules learned while in school, such as I before e except after c. The book is divi
Sarah-Anne
Apr 23, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-nonfiction
If you've forgotten the capital city of Chile; the basics of osmosis; how to solve a quadratic equation; the names of the Bennet sisters in Pride and Prejudice; who wrote the famous poem about daffodils; the use of a conjunction or the number of continents in the world, I Used to Know That will provide all the answers.

A light-hearted and informative reminder of all the things that we learned in school but have since become relegated to the backs of our minds. I Used to Know That features hundre
Beth F.
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
She’s right. I had a lot of “oh yeah, I knew that…er, used to know that” moments while reading this. Most of the information was an interesting refresher although I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that I nodded off twice while reading the mathematics section during my bus ride home from work! Now, whether that was because the subject matter was uninteresting for me or because it was the end of a day that had begun with a poor night’s sleep (darn kids), I couldn’t say, but I suspect it was a combina ...more
Kathrynn
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Another winner from Caroline Taggart! I tell ya, these have become an auto-buy for me. They are so easy to read, well laid-out, funny and I have a lot of ah-ha moments when reading them.

I Used to Know That was no exception. There are brief sections on: English, Literature, Math, Science, History, Geography, and General Studies. Some of the information within these pages is almost verbatim from other books written by Caroline Taggart, but I didn't mind. Good stuff!

All the United States Presidents
Reagan
Dec 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a fun, relaxing, educational, one of a kind read. It was extremely interesting reading all of the bits and pieces of random knowledge; I felt proud after realizing I knew a lot in the English and Literature sections, but I was bit embarrassed that I knew little more.

It was fun rediscovering the knowledge that I had forgotten; reading this book was a practical and effective way of learning. I realized that much of what was covered (at least in the English and Literature sections) ar
Linda B
Dec 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Used to Know That is a fun and interesting book with many tidbits of information that can be used for a quick reference guide or to brush up a little on the major subjects of Math, Literature, English, Science, History, Geography, and General Studies.

Authors of classic literature, fractions, geometry, algebra, the skeletal system, periodic table, U.S. presidents, countries and their capitals, and planets are just a few of the topics covered in this jammed packed little book.

This is an entert
Kyle
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good reference book or just a fun read. It made me remember all the stuff I learned from school, and all the good times I had learning new things back in the day. A good read for anybody who wants a refresher course on their high schoo/college educations, or for anyone who just wants to learn or relearn some interesting facts. I liked the different chapters, and read the book several times. Cleverly and brilliantly written, this book is sure to keep your attention whether you're intere ...more
Carleen
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh all the things I've forgot. A good book to read if you want a review of things that you might not have learned in school but have overheard somewhere. Here are some examples: What are dipthongs and metonymies? Which Bronte sister wrote The Tenant of Wildfell Hall? What four parts is the digestive system made of? What masterpiece did Sandro Botticelli create? This book covers the subjects of English, Literature, Math, Science, History, Geography, and General Studies. Great to browse through as ...more
Sofia
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were definitely parts of this where I really did say to myself, "Hey, I used to know that stuff!" See the sections on math and chemistry, in particular. But there were some notable editing oversights that forced me to lower the rating from three to two stars. Namely, referring to The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock as The Love Song of J. Arthur Prufrock, as well as using the word "appropro" in lieu of "apropos." This is supposed to be a book about re-edification. Such errors are unforgivab ...more
Helene Harrison
ISBN? – 9781843176558

General Subject/s? – History / Geography / English / Mathematics / Education / Language / Literature / Science / General Studies

Title? – General information that you learnt at school but probably forgot.

General Analysis? – Lots of interesting information on different subjects that either you did know and forgot, or never knew at all. Information on English Language, English Literature, Mathematics, Science, History and Geography.

Recommend? - Yes, a useful compendium of infor
Keely Lynn MidwinterGraces
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Definitely a quick read. It's a collection of all the facts and such that you used to know in your school days, but have forgotten over the years. I loved the history and geography sections, and couldn't believe I once knew the data contained in the Math chapter. I know I did, it seems vaguely familiar, but well, I just haven't used it. Huh, I guess I was right when I told my algebra teacher that I was never going to use this stuff in real life!

I'd definitely recommend this book for anyone look
  • Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • From the Ashes
  • I Before E (Except After C): Old School Ways To Remember Stuff
  • First, There Is a River (Spirit of the River, #1)
  • The Hunt
  • Meet the Annas
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • 1936... On the Continent
  • The Everything Family Christmas Book: Stories, Songs, Recipes, Crafts, Traditions, and More
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • Stupid History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions Throughout the Ages
  • Breakthrough!: How the 10 Greatest Discoveries in Medicine Saved Millions and Changed Our View of the World
  • A Short History of the World
  • The Normans: From Raiders to Kings
  • Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1)
I was an editor for 30 years before Michael O’Mara Books asked me to write what became I Used to Know That. I think its success took everyone by surprise – it certainly did me – but it led to my writing a lot of other books and finally, after about three years, feeling able to tell people I was an author. It's a nice feeling.

Until recently the book I was most proud of was The Book of London Place
More about Caroline Taggart

I Used to Know That (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • I Used to Know That: History
  • I Used to Know That: Geography
  • I Used to Know That: General Science
  • I Used to Know That: English
  • I Used to Know That: Maths
  • I Used to Know That: Literature: Stuff You Forgot From School (I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot from School)
  • I Used to Know That: Civil War: stuff you forgot from school
  • I Used to Know That: Shakespeare: stuff you forgot from school
  • I Used to Know That: Philosophy: Stuff You Forgot From School
  • Blackboard Books Boxed Set: I Used to Know That, My Grammar and I... Or Should That Be Me, and I Before E (Except After C)

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Penguin Lessons
    $12.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $1.99
“☞ 1453: FALL OF CONSTANTINOPLE You might not think it was a big deal (after all, cities were falling all over the place all of the time),” 0 likes
“William McKinley (R, 1897-1901): president during the Spanish-American War that saw the United States acquire Cuba and the Philippines.” 0 likes