Start by marking “Honey Butter” as Want to Read:
Honey Butter

Honey Butter

"It's a wonderful thought that everyday has something to celebrate." Jamie Johnson is a seven-year-old girl with an annoying older sister, a short attention span, and an odd hobby of collecting paint sample cards. Laren Lark is an almost thirteen-year-old girl with a love of books, a talent for poetry, and a past full of road school adventures. This Book is a whimsical sto ...more
Published August 14th 2017 by Sprouting Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Honey Butter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honey Butter

Start your review of Honey Butter
Angie Thompson
Okay, you guys. This book! Just--I feel like I've overused "wow" lately, but other words are failing me.

I first heard about this book when I read Millie Florence's interview on Homeschooled Authors. The premise sounded cute, and the ebook wasn't expensive, and it's a nice thing to support your fellow new authors, right? Hmm, yeah, okay. Except that when I finished it this morning and had to scramble to get out the door for work on time, the fact that I'd "helped out" a new young author was the l
Jessica McDermitt
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ok, I feel horrible for not writing this sooner. But here it is--hopefully better late than never?

Full disclosure: I received a free electronic copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Let me just say that this book was adorable. It was super sweet and very well-written. I was pleasantly surprised and can't wait to see where Millie takes her writing career from here!

The characters in this book were well-developed and very sweet. None of the attitude or angst coming from
Kellyn Roth
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot, and it was well-done. Great writing style and editing and characterization and plotting.

My main problems were I didn't care for the protagonist (petty, annoying) and felt she was a bit young for her age (5 rather than 7), and I didn't feel that Jaime's parents were ... parenting. xP At least not Jaime.

Otherwise, fantastic story! Probably a little young for me, but very cute, and I enjoyed it.
Gabriella Slade
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I binged this cute book in one sitting! Millie is such a talented writer, and it shows on the page.
Jamie was an adorable protagonist, and her love for paint cards was so unique, and I really loved her friendship with Laren. I myself have often friended girls who are younger than me, and I think this friendship was very well done! The sisterhood between Jamie and Erica reminded me to be a better older sister. (I happen to be the eldest of 7.) Of course I appreciated the large family aspect of the
Penny Wood
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS SO GOOD AKAUBSYAGQVHSKSKAUAHAJIS

Yes. Just everything about this. Yes.

The soft, poetic, lyrical style of writing, mingled with reality and pain.

Jamie.

LAREN.

Cara.

Erica.

Griffin. (Griffin + Erica = Griffica SHHHHHIIIIIIIPPPPP)

THE PAINT CARDS AKAUAVAYGAHAJSKXUYCVBS

Laren's backstory?? *sobs endlessly*

This book inspired me to be a better sister. And to enjoy the little things in life.

Like Honey Butter paint cards.
Sarah Baran
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"...books, I think, are what magic smells like."

So true, coming from a story that is pure magic in softcover form. Honey Butter it is like wrapping yourself in sheets still warm from the dryer: tangible, sunshiny euphoria, the way fresh chocolate-chip cookies taste or spring clover smells or soap-suds feel.

I'm not saying it doesn't have problems, because no book is perfect. The prose (though sprinkled with SO many beautiful and surprisingly thought-provoking lines) sometimes feels like the auth
Malory Teegarden
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this book through an interview with the young author on a BraveWriter podcast. I loved listening to Millie and her passion for writing was infectious. I knew it would be a great selection for our mama + daughter bookclub. We all loved the story and had a blast looking through rainbow stacks of paint cards together, creating our own mini games with them. We highly recommend this book and look forward to Millie’s next book someday!
Amanda Gregg
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great debut from a young author!

Millie Florence’s debut novella, Honey Butter, is a delightful read full of vivid descriptions of a Carolina summer, an unlikely friendship, beautiful literature, and sibling relationships. I highly recommend this sweet book for a read-aloud for younger children or an independent read for older kids and pre-teens.
Mel Ingrid
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie
A heartwarming story with colorful (pun very much intended) descriptions and charming characters! I loved the message Honey Butter delivered and how vivid the emotions were. It's a great read for a rainy day.
Mary
Golden sunshine on a warm summer day. A library full of other worlds. Wonder at the beauty of the world. Friendship opening doors to new possibilities. Bright color that holds meaning.

All these things and more saturate the vivid story of Honey Butter by Millie Florence. It’s a sweet and thoughtful contemporary novel for children of all ages--and for anyone who enjoys a good story and appreciates the simple delights of ordinary life.

Jamie’s world seems humdrum, boring, uninteresting. She’s endur
Emma Starr
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WE NEED MORE BOOKS LIKE THIS IN THE WORLD.

Millie Florence published this when she was 13? Unbelievable.

Her writing reflects the wonder in her heart, and it’s so refreshing and beautiful. She sees the world through young eyes, but it doesn’t come across as naive. There is wisdom in the youngishness of this book and a love for simply being alive that many of us lose as we grow older. Though there were happy vibes woven through the entire story, I didn’t feel like I was choking on sickly-sweet hap
Riley Rawls
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don’t even know where to begin!! Honey Butter absolutely blew me away, and I would recommend it to EVERYONE.

Honey Butter tells the story of seven-year-old Jamie in a fun and poetic way. Jamie, the middle child, often feels pushed around by her older sister Erica, and occasionally neglected by her parents, who are busy with her baby siblings. It seems she has only her ever-growing collection of paint cards to keep her company. Until one day, when she meets the teenage girl next door.

The author
Sheila Goicea
I received this copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review.
Michelle Stanley
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Michelle Stanley for Readers' Favorite

Honey Butter is a lovely coming of age story by Millie Florence. Seven-year-old Jamie Johnson feels lonely and misunderstood at home. Her unhappiness is mainly caused by her big sister, Erica, who never misses a chance to pester her. When she meets thirteen-year-old Laren Lark, the two become friends. They wish they had parts of each other’s lives, although Laren is more appreciative of hers.

Unlike some people, Laren doesn’t think Jamie is weird
Julie Mozart
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I must admit, I didn't expect too much of this book, but it crashed through my unbelieving mind with a solid plot, awesome set of characters, and a great little world you can forget yourself in.

Although the book is written wordier than I usually prefer, the writing style is set from the first page, and stays consistent and cleverly crafted throughout. A few times in the first chapters the dialogue 'tripped me up' so to speak and I found a few typos in the Kindle edition, but the story kept me
Nina Martineck
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: compelling-ya
Honey Butter is one of those rare books that is pure magic. I don’t think any words I write can accurately capture the essence of this story, but I can certainly try to find some.

Warning: (mild) spoilers ahead!

The premise of the book—a somewhat overlooked child finding solace in paint chips—is endearing. Jamie is such a beautiful, well-written character. Like any seven-year-old, she is naïve, slightly aloof, and has a wondrous imagination. She makes mistakes, but she has such a good heart. The r
The Writer
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness you guys! I’ll be honest, my favorite kinds of books are huge complicated fantasy novels with intricate world building and large casts of characters.
But, with that being said, I have a very special place in my heart for books like this. It was a very nice change from the kinds of books I usually read, and it felt almost... cleansing, if that makes any sense.
Reading it was a relaxing, almost carefree experience, a nice change from the tension and drama of so many other books we s
Erin Forbes
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen-authors
As I mentioned in the praise quote for this little novel, Honey Butter is a lovely story for the young and creative soul. Millie Florence paints a radiant picture of childhood friendship and adventure. I love the fact that the main character, Jamie, has a working collection of paint sample cards. The story has a great message behind it, and the characters are very relatable.

The layout of the book was very interesting. I liked the various paint cards that were placed at the beginning of each chap
Mary Conway
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-authors
I had little idea what to expect from this young author, but whatever expectations I vaguely had were vastly exceeded. I enjoyed the whimsical feel and interesting characters who drew me in so that I tore through the book in one sitting.

The conflicts, though minor, felt realistic in how they affected the young, loveable protagonist and evoke childhood memories with ease. It's also nice to see a protagonist who isn't originally book obsessed but with a unique and interesting hobby. The poetry was
Amy Voeller
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stellar

I was absolutely immersed in this book. Although there are a few things in it that mark it as written by a less experienced author, it is still a marvelous piece of work and shows a wonderful amount of commitment to the creative vision. And of course there is the wow factor that this is written by a thirteen year old. I can wait to see how Millie matures in her writing journey!
Roisin Alexis
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a wonderful story! This is the first book that I've ever read in a single day, I couldn't put it down! The friendship Jamie and Laren share remind me of what's really important in life. I think the next time I'm at a paint shop, I'll pick up a few cards for myself. I can't wait to see what you write next!
Norah
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it so much and it has a great moral!
Simone
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a cute, fun read. Really liked this book. Would recommend!!!
McKayla DeBonis
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whimsical and heartfelt.

Honey Butter hits home, telling a tale of friendship and the hardships of siblings.

Very strongly written and just full of pure emotion, I absolutely loved the depth of the storyline and the feelings that went into this story.

Honey Butter went beyond my expectations in a very good way!
Becca Camp
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such an adorable little “slice of life”! I adored all of the paint names (Millie, did you come up with those yourself?). It was a quick read full of love, color, and hope.
Zoe Anastasia
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so I like never reread books, but when I finished this story, I instantly knew I would read it again - and again, and again - because it’s a beautiful, short book about a seven-year-old girl who makes a new friend and learns new truths about the world. I looked forward to reading it each night, under my warm blankets. It is sweet, funny, and honest, and I love that. I loved how Jamie carried around her paint cards everywhere - she is a unique and wonderful character. I know this little book ...more
Maegan
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is so sweet and heartwarming! The main character was well written and the little adventures she has make this book a perfect summer read!
olivia
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I really liked honey butter! I was paying attention To reading the book but I can’t seem to remember that it’s it was written by a 13-year-old!!! It is a beautifully written story and I love the storyline so much I highly recommend this book to Middle schoolers!
Joy Chappell
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Honey Butter was such a cute story about a young girl's summer--meeting a new friend, birthday parties, and, of course, paint cards! It's a great book aimed for a middle-grade audience, but I also enjoyed it!
As I began reading it, I had a hard time discovering what the plot was about, but I fell in love with the characters and the story got better! And, oh my word, I love how relatable Jamie and her family is. I couldn't help but smile as I read and reminisced about my own childhood. What Jamie
Eliza LeBlanc
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Honey Butter is a little story with a big message. As a contemporary novel with a classic feel, it hits all the right beats, all the right emotions, and creates a solid, beautiful, timeless theme about love and forgiveness that shines through every page. Speaking of shining...this book is a perfect read for a cold winter day when you need a little summer. Millie Florence's prose is so rich - you can almost feel the warm summer sun and smell the baking heat!

Long story short, it's the kind of book

• The Willoughbys
  • A Cactus in the Valley
  • The Shadow Throne (The Ascendance Series, #3)
  • Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II
  • The Runaway King (The Ascendance Series, #2)
  • The Drowned Vault (Ashtown Burials, #2)
  • Thimble Summer
  • Empire of Bones (Ashtown Burials #3)
  • Heartless
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn, #3)
  • The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook (Milly-Molly-Mandy)
  • The Dinky Donkey
  • Fawkes
  • Fire & Ice: The Elementals (Fire & Ice, #1)
  • What He Must Be …If He Wants to Marry My Daughter
  • Freddy the Politician
  • Meet Kit: An American Girl 1934 (American Girls: Kit, #1)
Millie Florence is an adventurous homeschooler who published her first book, ‘Honey Butter’, at age 13. She loves sushi, zip lines, and just about all things yellow.

Millie lives in a picturesque blue house in the woods with her parents and her four siblings, plus a varying amount of cats and chickens.