Start by marking “Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques: A Contemporary Guide to the Ancient Investment Techniques of the Far East” as Want to Read:

Here at last, the background and practical application of the unique and powerful Japanese charting techniques--known as candlestick charts--are fully explained for the first time. These colorful and exciting techniques are hot on the lips of leading analysts and traders worldwide.
Hardcover, Second Edition, 320 pages
Published November 1st 2001 by Prentice Hall Press (first published March 22nd 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques

Terry Kim
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any Trader / Investor. With candlestick charts there is a lot more information you can obtain about the market and the stock. Not only will it improve your probabilities of riding a trend / exiting a trade, but you will also understand the movements of the price.

Candle charting alone has improved my general understanding of stocks and the market. It is a must read for anyone delving into the markets.
Duffy Pratt
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trading
Very clear description of the basic candlestick patterns. Many of the patterns rely on gaps between closing and opening prices. This type of trading applies to equities and to other markets that have pretty clear opening and closing times -- like the Japanese Rice market where this charting technique originated. The Forex market, for all practical purposes, is free of such gaps. This difference means that many candlestick patterns have only limited application to the forex markets. Thus, while t ...more
Lukifryrr
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
At first I thought this book was boring and, plainly, unhelpful. The idea of japanese candlestick has become standard in most trading softwares and their analysis almost as standard to traders. The first half of the book talks precisely about this, and it gets boring and repetitive very quick.

The second half of the book, however, starts to mix the candle analysis with western technical analysis and the entire picture become much clearer and efficient. I have learned various tricks an
Nicholas S.
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Presented a method for technical analysis, based almost entirely on an appeal to the authority of Japanese rice traders from the 17th and 18th centuries, who we are told used these charting methods. I lost interest when the author conceded that the signals are subjective (I read this as: the method works; if it fails, you misinterpreted the method). Not very convincing to the skeptical reader.
Derek Peffer
This is your bible for candle stick charting, no question about it. For any technical analysts out there, there is no excuse to not have this read and finished. Just buy it already, you'll be thankful you did after.
Donald
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: investing
Candlestick charting, combined with western technical analysis (volume, RSI, moving averages) can give the patient observer an edge in the markets. It is a more visual style of charting than standard bar charts, yet uses the same information of 'open-high-low-close'.
Michael Atkinson
Nov 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
A worthless piece of crap. Don't be fooled. Nobody who really makes money in the market uses this stuff, and I know what I'm talking about.
Quang
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most of the patterns and techniques here are still applicable, no matter how laughable that may sounds to you at first. With the abundant availability of public historical data at the present you can even test these techniques empirically (I did) and be amazed (I was).
Paul DeBusschere
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Nison provides a clear guide to candlesticks and how to use them with Western technical analysis techniques. This book is a valuable tool that every trader should have in one's library. It is so straightforward, even someone like Burton G. Malkiel and other Random Walkers could use it to improve their results.
Kalpit
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The best book on the subject.
Steve Nison is indeed the father of Candlesticks.

Thank You so much Steve for writing this awesome book.
I can't emphasize, how much it helped me in making profits in the market.

I will write a detailed review in a while,
Until then, Thank You again Steve Nison.
Jagatheesan Jack
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finance
This book gave great insights on candlestick chart reading and it's use with Western techniques.
Part B (Candlesticks with Western techniques) needed some cross referencing from other sources.
Kcirevam
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: add
Good
Maria Rinehart-Henderson
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not just the technicals, but the psychology behind the price.
Rintho Sihotang
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Candlestick...candlestick..does whatever candlestick does..(Spiderman theme song)
Craig Hedge
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to further develop their trading
Recommended to Craig by: I researched and found
What a great book!
Thoroughly enjoyed Steve Nison's book Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques.
(I also highly recommend his other book 'The Candlestick Course' I read following this)

Reading this book has certainly taken my understanding and appreciation of candlestick charting to new levels.
The history here, the use of Japanese proverbs, and the hundreds of years behind the technology, certainly adds weight to the techniques.

The fact the author was a p
David Solis
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I want to start off by saying Nison did an amazing job at compiling information in a way that made sense. He took what is complicated and made it presentable. For that, I’ll give him 3 stars. I learned about doji’s and stars and hammers. I understand what dark cloud covers and hanging men imply, and I understand now what they predict. The problem though was this book didn’t read like a guide; it read like a textbook. It was dry, didn’t lack example but it certainly would’ve been better crafted h ...more
Zil
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve had this book in mind for 4 years., but always put it into the “read it later” cart. Because of the recent tragic trading record, I began to read it. It was astonishingly helpful. Despite of the vast difference between the US stock market and the China’s stock market, price, volume and human emotion always have something in common. I applied the techniques to my daily practice, and found I could interpret much more information than I used to. I highly recommend it as an intro to stock tradi ...more
Ganesh Lakshminarayanan
Wonderful book

One of the greatest book written on candle stick technique. Like the author says,once you have learnt the Japanese candlestick technique why would you go back to the bar charts.
Warren Mcpherson
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: markets
A solid overview of candlestick charting.
I liked the vignettes about Japanese culture. I think people take this stuff too seriously and those provided memorable back up for the patterns and broke up the book nicely.
Mehdi Zare
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Game-changing explanation on technical analysis using Japanese candlestick. It's a fundamental reading if you're new to technical analysis. Unlike usual boilerplate style technical analysis books, author tried to give a rational meaning for each style and trend identified by candles.
Atiba Maule
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stick to the Basics

Thanks to this book I've learned to correct way to read a chart compared to all the other 'gurus' out there. Since the author is the one responsible for introducing candle stick analysis to the west it makes sense to learn from the source.
Zweli
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book, it gives an understanding of how technical analysis works using Japannese candlesticks and highlights other important factors, however, it is not a bible for trading, meaning it is best to read this book and other technical analysis books that seek to give context to trading.
Jason Wicky
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Read this book 9 years ago. Very good book and this coupled with Singapore bulls website help me to make some good trades.

However, I no longer trade/invest. Not when Dow Jones is at 22k.
Sachin
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is super awesome book. Author has explained different Candlestick pattern with so many charts that it's highly unlikely that someone Will forget those patterns ever.
James Cozzone
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book to understand the fundamentals of candle sticks and patterns.
John Patrick
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is highly comprehensive and illustration helps you practice your Eye for stock selection.
Mohammed Mohaideen
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was not a complete beginner when I started reading this book about candlesticks. But this book shows how to be flexible with candlestick analysis. I read for that.
Mohammad Khodaparastan
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's good but not enough
Felipe
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book if you are looking to really understand what candlesticks are and how you can read them.
Scott
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you want to trade today, this must be part of your library. Laid out simply, plainly, everything you need to know with nice japanese axioms thrown in here and there. A trader's classic. The bible of candlesticks.

• Come Into My Trading Room: A Complete Guide to Trading
  • Technical Analysis of Stock Trends
  • Encyclopedia of Chart Patterns
  • Way of the Turtle: The Secret Methods That Turned Ordinary People Into Legendary Traders
  • Technical Analysis Explained: The Successful Investor's Guide to Spotting Investment Trends and Turning Points
  • Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom
  • How to Trade in Stocks
  • The Disciplined Trader: Developing Winning Attitudes
  • Secrets For Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets
  • Technical Analysis: The Complete Resource for Financial Market Technicians
  • Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets
  • Getting Started in Technical Analysis
  • 24 Essential Lessons for Investment Success: Learn the Most Important Investment Techniques from the Founder of Investor's Business Daily
  • High Probability Trading Strategies: Entry to Exit Tactics for the Forex, Futures, and Stock Markets [With CD (Audio)]
  • The Psychology of Trading: Tools and Techniques for Minding the Markets
  • Mastering the Trade: Proven Techniques for Profiting from Intraday and Swing Trading Setups
  • Trend Following: Learn to Make Millions in Up or Down Markets

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »