Start by marking “Then She Was Gone” as Want to Read:
Then She Was Gone

Then She Was Gone

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  52,660 ratings  ·  5,734 reviews
Ten years after her teenage daughter disappears, a woman crosses paths with a charming single father whose young child feels eerily familiar, in this evocative, suspenseful drama from New York Times bestselling author Lisa Jewell—perfect for fans of Paula Hawkins and Liane Moriarty.

Ellie Mack was the perfect daughter. She was fifteen, the youngest of three. She was beloved
Published April 24th 2018 by Atria Books (first published April 17th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Then She Was Gone, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brittney Irion I completely agree. Also, wouldn’t her sister have brought up the fact that Ellie found her tutor creepy? And surely she would have told her boyfriend…moreI completely agree. Also, wouldn’t her sister have brought up the fact that Ellie found her tutor creepy? And surely she would have told her boyfriend and he would have mentioned it. Also, the fact that the police were convinced she ran away bothered me too. There’s no way she would have done so without telling her boyfriend. But I agree, I also loved this book despite these “plot holes”.(less)

Emily May
This was a fairly average experience for me. It's a very quick read - I read it in a single day - and it goes down smoothly and easily, but it is so easy to predict everything that will happen. I was always several chapters ahead of the characters and it sapped a lot of tension out of the story.

I can see why, with a better plot, Jewell is a great writer. The relationships and characters were fleshed out and interesting. Laurel’s pain over her missing daughter is palpable and realistic. The loss
Chelsea Humphrey
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Simon & Schuster Goodreads
Shelves: from-publisher
Apologies for republishing this, but apparently some haters thought it would be funny to report my review and get it taken down because they have nothing better to do.

4.5 STARS

"If she could unwind the timeline, untwist it and roll it back the other way like a ball of wool, she'd see the knots in the yarn, the warning signs. Looking at it backward it was obvious all along. But back then, when she knew nothing about anything, she had not seen it coming. She had walked straight into it with her ey
Holly  B
Edgy, Dark and Addictive

This turned out to be quite a stunner. I’ve read lots of psychological thrillers and this one caught me off guard. Much more than your typical missing daughter plot. Scattered with hints of some shocking revelations to come.

This is my fourth Lisa Jewell novel and I’m a huge fan. I love her writing style and how she keeps me totally absorbed in the story line. The more I read, the more invested I became and started to care about some of the key characters. Told in multiple
Julie
Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell is a 2018 Atria Books publication.

Well, this was certainly different!

Missing persons tropes are common in mysteries and thrillers, and the theme has been written and explored in many predictable ways, but also in many clever, even shocking ways. But, no matter how it is presented, it is a scenario that never fails to draw me in. But, I must say, this novel puts an entirely new and fresh spin on the missing persons mystery-

The story begins like so many others-

El
James
I read a Lisa Jewell novel last year and connected immediately with her writing style, tone, and voice. When Then She Was Gone showed up on NetGalley last month, I immediately requested it and added it to my reading queue for April. I really find myself enamored with Jewell's characters, plots, and settings, so much that I've added ten of her other books to my TBR and hope to read a few more later this year.

Domestic drama is the best sub-genre to describe this book. A 15-year-old girl goes missi
Debra
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Ellie Mack was 15 years old when she went missing. She was the youngest of three children who left the house one day to go to the library and never returned. Her Mother, Laurel Mack, fell apart after her daughter's disappearance, as most parents would. Her daughter's disappearance forever altered her life. Her marriage fell apart, her other daughter, Hanna became distant and withdrawn from her Mother,her son moved away. Throughout it all she never gave up hope on finding her daughter. W
Meredith
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping psychological thriller about the disappearance of 15-year-old Ellie Mack. Then She was Gone is not about what happened to Ellie, it’s more about the how and the why she disappeared, as well as the after-effects of her disappearance on her family.

One morning, Ellie Mack heads to the library. At 10:43 am, she was never to be seen again. The police’s investigation never turned up any clues to what happened to her, but believe she ran away. Her mother, Laurel, believes otherwise. After 1
Elyse Walters
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally enjoyable .....
As a couple of friends said - (Diane & Esil) - they were pretty sure ‘what’ happened to Ellie who had gone missing early in their reading — me too - but I didn’t know ‘why’.
All I knew was that Ellie was a bright girl - an excellent student - and that her mother - Laurel had a ‘special’ love for her ( in ways she definitely didn’t her other two children) —

Much about this story felt real.

While on the way to the library— a child is never to be seen again. It gives me c
Diane S ☔
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
Ellie was fifteen eager to take her exams. Now that she had been tutored in math she was sure she would do well. On her way to the library one evening, she disappears. Her disappearance takes a huge toll on the family, a family that breaks apart as many families in this type of situations often do. Now ten years later, Laurel is willing to take a shot at having a life and love again a series of events will send her reeling. Would she finally find out what happened to her daughter?

A very suspense
Matthew
Missing with a twist - this is quite a popular book genre right now. I feel like saying it has a "twist" is no longer a spoiler. It reminds me of when M. Night Shamalan first made movies and everyone was surprised by the shocking twist. Now, when you see one, you are sitting there not wondering if there will be a twist, but when.

So, yes, Gone Girl-ers, this is another book for you!

Now, this doesn't tend to be a favorite genre of mine. Because of this, it has to be creative and well written to k
Susanne Strong
4.25 Stars (rounded down)

Spellbinding and Completely Irresistible.

Ellie Mack went missing 10 years ago. Her mother, Laurel has never given up hope of finding her. Ellie was fifteen years old, full of life. The world was, in fact, her oyster. No one knew what happened to Ellie. The police have never found a trace of her. My interest was piqued from the very beginning. My breath caught in my throat - nerves jangled.

Now, Laurel Mack’s life is very different: her marriage fell apart years ago and
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-reads
👩👧Then She Was Gone was dark, gripping and absolutely addictive! 💔

Ellie Mack was vibrant, happy, smart, in love and only fifteen when she disappeared without a trace. Authorities ruled her a runaway but her mother, Laurel Mack, could never fully accept that. There were too many unanswered questions and she just knew that Ellie wouldn't simply walk away from the life she loved.

Laurel's life is put on hold with the disappearance of her daughter. She is simply stuck, unable to move on with life wi
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
4.5*

Brilliant! I completely lost myself in this book from beginning to end!

Laurel is doing her best to move on with her life. Her teenage daughter went missing years ago, triggering an avalanche of misfortune. The family splintered. Laurel and Paul divorcing. And now, their two remaining children are leaving home at the first chance they get - anxious to live their own lives, away from the oppressive tension within their home.

When laurel meets Floyd she’s quickly swept off her feet. She’s fina
Tucker
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another winner from Lisa Jewell!

Laurel Mack’s smart and beautiful teenage daughter Ellie disappeared 10 years ago. Now divorced and distant from her other two children, Laurel is attempting to move on and begins dating a handsome and kind man. Then unusual coincidences related to Laurel’s new boyfriend and also to Ellie begin occurring and things start to get unsettling for Laurel. I don’t want to say more because part of the excitement of the book is discovering how the various plot lines inter
Norma * Traveling Sister
THEN SHE WAS GONE by LISA JEWELL is a breathtaking, thrilling, unputdownable, and suspenseful psychological thriller novel that had me totally engrossed and interested right from the very first page. I was so intrigued in finding out what happened to Ellie Mack that I was racing through those pages as fast as I could!

LISA JEWELL delivers a well-written story here with flawed, believable, and compelling characters that was told in alternating points of view and short chapters to make this a quic
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
This is the third Lisa Jewell thriller that I have read and she has penned another winner! After finishing this book I really had to wait a few days to sort of “SETTLE ME DOWN” as this mystery touched some very delicate feelings in me, more so than her first two books. Call me a snob but in my experience with thrillers, it has been hard to find many with the combination of great writing, past and present POV’s that flow seamlessly together, and create emotions that well up inside of you and real ...more
Larry H
I'm about 3.5 stars here.

"When her children were small they'd sometimes say, 'What would you do if I died?' And she would reply, 'I would die too, because I could not live without you.' And then her child had died and she had found out that somehow, incredibly, she could live without her, that she had woken every morning for a hundred days, a thousand days, three thousand days and she had lived without her."

Ellie Mack was a golden child—beautiful, smart, popular. At 15, she was the apple of her
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: She had no one to call, no one to ask 'Have you seen Hanna? Do you know where she is?' Her life simply didn't work like that. There were no connections anywhere. Just little islands of life dotted here and there.

It was possible, she thought, that Hanna had met a man, but unlikely. Hannah hadn't had a boyfriend, not one, ever. Someone once mooted the theory that Hanna felt too guilty to have a boyfriend because her little sister would never have one. The same theory could also be applie
Theresa Alan
This novel is creepy—in a good way. Fifteen-year-old Ellie disappears on her way to the library one day. Ultimately, since police can’t find anything, they suspect she’s a runaway despite the fact she had a boyfriend she loved and was looking forward to taking the exams she’d been studying hard for.

When we meet up with her mother Laurel ten years later, Laurel’s relationships with her other daughter, her son, and her now-ex-husband have all suffered greatly because they’d never found a body or a
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4 stars! This was a spine-tingling and addictive story!

This novel follows Laurel whose teenage daughter, Ellie, went missing ten years ago. Laurel has been battling her grief since the day Ellie disappeared with the hope that she may one day come home. After Ellie’s disappearance, being swallowed up in her sadness and grief, Laurel’s marriage falls apart and she loses her connection with her two other children.

The story is narrated by various characters in Laurel’s life through a Now and Then pe
Dem
Oh! I did love this clever and compelling, taut psychological thriller which kept me up until the wee hours the morning. My fist Lisa Jewell novel and lucky me as she appears to have a list of thrillers which I cant wait to try.

I listened to this one on audible and it was just so well narrated, the voice of Noelle Donnelly was just so perfect and she sent shivers down my spine. Well paced and not too dramatic this just works beautifully on audible.

Jewell writes wonderfully engaging characters, f
Linda
"People try and make out there's a greater purpose, a secret meaning, that it all means something. And it doesn't."

Loss is like that. There's no justifying it. There are no words of wisdom that can ever buffer the pain. It becomes a life sentence worn like the weight of a sack cloth far into eternity and beyond.

Laurel Mack is a grieving mother. Period. Her beautiful daughter, Ellie, disappeared one day on her way to her weekly lesson with her math tutor. There is no evidence, no clues, no remnan
Luffy
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Then She Was Gone is a very mild title compared to the volcanic torment and angst behind the cover. Teenage daughter Ellie goes missing and blah blah blah...except that it's not so clear cut or cliched.

The action takes place in multiple points of view, and it's a treat to be fed factoid after factoid to try and make sense. It's deliciously excruciating how the info builds up to shape up the final solution.

Lisa Jewell is part of the latest generation of writers. The latter have bypassed Chaucer,
Brandice
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Then She Was Gone was my first Lisa Jewell read and it won’t be my last! I was intrigued right from the start.

15 year old Ellie Mack leaves home to study one day and never returns. Understandably, her disappearance alters the life of her mother, Laurel. She has changed with the loss of her daughter. Distance builds between her and her other two children, Hannah and Jake. Her marriage to Paul also falls apart. Years later, Laurel meets an attractive man, Floyd, and begins a relationship with him
Michelle
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
This book is fantastic! Seriously! I'm kicking myself for not reading any Lisa Jewell before this book even though I do have The House We Grew Up In sitting on my bookshelf unread. Shame on me!

Back to this book.

Laurel Mack had a wonderful life and family until the dreadful day when her teenage daughter Ellie goes missing. Her obsession with finding her and the broken pieces of her heart from losing her tear her family apart. Her husband leaves and eventually remarries, her son moves in with hi
Jen
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca Carter
Over the past few years there seems to have been a huge saturation in the market of psychological mystery type thrillers. Or maybe that's just me thinking this, simply because I've bought or requested via
NetGalley, many books of this type. Then She Was Gone, is another one to add to this genre.

There's nothing much I can add really, the description is easily available to read. The narrative goes back and forth between the present day and the past, and is told from the perspective of four differen
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Norma and I were lost in the dark and light earthy lush coulee with five of our Traveling Sisters reading Then She Was Gone. We all really enjoyed it and it lead to a great discussion amongst us.

We all were immediately drawn into this intriguing story right from start to the rewarding and very satisfying ending that we all loved.

We all agreed Lisa Jewell brilliantly creates a well-written and perfectly paced story to create a good, intriguing suspenseful story. Just at the right time, she reve
Malia
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
As a big fan of Lisa Jewell, I was excited to hear about Then She Was Gone, which follows her turn to a rather darker spin she has been successfully using in her past few books. The story follows Laurel Mack, though it is really told from multiple POVs (of which I tend to be a big fan). Her teenage daughter went missing ten years ago, and when she meets a man, Floyd, whose nine-year-old daughter is the image of Laurel's missing child, Ellie, and she understandably cannot let the mystery go. Laur ...more
Helga
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, crime, mystery
10 years ago, Ellie, the beloved, intelligent and clever golden girl of the family goes missing on her way to the library. There is no reason she would run away, but after their futile investigations, the police assumes just that.

After Ellie’s disappearance, her mother Laurel’s life becomes bitter and bleak and she is unable to move on like the rest of her family.

But when 10 years later she meets the charming and delightful Floyd in a café, little by little she begins to see light and once again
Different ending 8 251 Nov 28, 2018 05:16PM
Play Book Tag: Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell - 4 stars 1 19 Oct 28, 2018 05:09PM
Plot holes 5 193 Sep 22, 2018 07:11AM
Lisa was born in London in 1968. Her mother was a secretary and her father was a textile agent and she was brought up in the northernmost reaches of London with her two younger sisters. She was educated at a Catholic girls’ Grammar school in Finchley. After leaving school at sixteen she spent two years at Barnet College doing an arts foundation course and then two years at Epsom School of Art & ...more
“When I read a book it feels like real life and when I put the book down it's like I go back into the dream.” 20 likes
“As the father of your children, as a friend, as someone who shared a journey with you and as someone who loves you and cares about you. I don’t need to be married to you to be all those things. Those things are deeper than marriage. Those things are for ever.” 5 likes