Start by marking “Causes of Separation (Aristillus #2)” as Want to Read:
Causes of Separation (Aristillus #2)

Causes of Separation

(Aristillus #2)

Earth in 2064 is politically corrupt and in economic decline. The Long Depression has dragged on for 56 years, and the Bureau of Sustainable Research is hard at work making sure that no new technologies disrupt the planned economy. Ten years ago a band of malcontents, dreamers, and libertarian radicals bolted privately-developed anti-gravity drives onto rusty sea-going car ...more
711 pages
Published July 2017 by Morlock Publishing (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Causes of Separation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Causes of Separation

Start your review of Causes of Separation (Aristillus #2)
Joe Pardue
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read this and the first book and can honestly say that despite the politics, I really enjoyed reading these books. The author is a self-professed Anarcho-Capitalist Catholic and preaches it through both books. I think that anarcho-capitalism is about as likely to succeed in the real world as communism and for exactly the same reason: they both, at their very core, have a fundamental misunderstanding of human nature. But rather than me preaching, I'll say that John-Galt-in-space turns out to ...more
Jb Fenix
Too much narrative, thin on actual ideas.

This book is a step up from the first in the series and has some interesting themes. However, I find the author fails to make the story truly remarkable. Like book one, this book suffers from too much narrative in an effort to enhance world building. This leaves an abundance of characters relatively flat and overly simplistic instead of having fewer characters that truly develop over time and are multidimensional.

More importantly, the book tries to have
Ryan
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is inspired by Heinlein (especially The Moon is a Harsh Mistress) and other great libertarian sci-fi books of the past 50 years, but stands on its own as a very good work itself. Essentially, the story of pro-business and pro-liberty entrepreneurs on the Moon and their fight against a corrupt government on Earth. The biggest problem is the Earth government is almost a caricature of socialist/corrupt/bureaucratic statism, but on closer inspection, isn't actually terribly far off the mar ...more
Shane
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars. This installment is much better written and better edited than the first. It isn't perfect but better. I call it and installment because it takes up right where the first portion ended. The invasion begins and the action doesn't stop until the very end. The style and pacing is quick and intense. It makes for a good read but I don't think someone who picked up this book first would be able to catch up.

A couple other problems I had with the book were inconsistencies in som
Wesley
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A melding of modern and future technology into a sci-fi epic!

Part 2 of the Aristillus series delivers a fun initial closure to the first half of the 4 part series. Travis's ability to take interesting concepts in real life and apply them in a simple way throughout the book really sells the science fiction throughout the novel. Filled with futures betting markets, 3D printing, AI, Physics, VR, economics, politics, and of course, Dogs, really do stoke the imagination of the reader. A well rounded
Rick
Aug 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If TMIAHM and Atlas Shrugged got married and had a baby it would be this book of ‘isms and ‘ists. Clearly this was a labor of love on the part of the author and I really wanted to love this book(s) but the rant, didactic, preachy tone of the “I’m pissed off and want to be in charge of everything” tone was disappointing. In the end, I finished the book(s) for 2 reasons. One, I don’t start reading a book or series of books without finishing. Although this book really challenged my commitment. Seco ...more
Pammie
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Science Fiction- a bit hard sifi a bit opera

The story stars after the primary characters have started a colony on the moon. A lot of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein political radical anarchy runs through the main character.

The introduction of an Turning AI with moral boundaries similar to the Foundation Trilogy by Author C. Clark.

Like the way the author drops a main character for a few chapters and leaves you hanging. Gives it a little first person perspective.
BJ Mumford
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enrapturing story!

Love this series, captured my attention and held it, which as an infrequent reader of fiction is very rare. I really couldn’t put it down, and at the end of Powers it the Earth I immediately bought the Kindle version of Causes of Separation to keep reading. I love the subtle and yet not so subtle implementation of libertarian principles, the mix of idealism and real life pragmatism encountered by the characters, and an ending that surprised me!
Dave C
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying conclusion

Don’t wait too long to read book 2. It’s important to have as much of the context and characters of book 1 still in your memory to make this one as enjoyable.

As the action increases, the chapters get smaller and together those increase the speed and The intensity of the story. Double crosses galore, satisfying ends for several characters and yet the story stays true to its principles all the way to the end!
Anthony A
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great sequel

So this book isn't really a sequel, it's the second half of a book the author ripped in two at a cliffhanger point.

You could call it a remake of Heinlein's "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress", with the technology updated - extrapolating from 2015, not 1950. But Heinlein's book is the high school level introduction to anarcho-capitalism, and this book, with "Powers of the Earth", is the college course. But much more entertaining than most colleges courses.
Wes
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay, really I have to give this Novel a 4.5, but it builds upon the prior novel and takes the ideas laid out therein to their logical extremes (emphasis on *extreme*) and surpasses the already impressive potential. And yet if I continue to compare it to Heinlein's "Harsh Mistress" then I can't quite bring myself to call them equals.

No matter, though, as it seems like Corcoran here set out to achieve different goals and largely hits the bullseye. He sets up a thrilling mix of political intrigue,
Jack
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

Once I started reading, I had trouble stopping. A few grammatical errors withstanding, both this book and the first, are some of the best books I've read in many years. I'm eagerly awaiting the next in the series.
Larry Card
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second of ???

I really enjoyed this second installment of the series and would like to see more. There are many possibilities left wide open, I am sure by design, and I hope the author takes full advantage of them.
Maggie Nikkel
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More of a good thing

Having grown up, way to many years ago,reading the greats of sci-fi and political idealism such as Hienlen and Asimov, it was refreshing and exciting to read this short series,hopefully more is in the works
Brian Chapman
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic science fiction series.

Great book. Great series. The plot twists are not predictable, which I found refreshing. Anyone who enjoys hard sci-fi will love these books. A definite must read.
Edward E Eilenfeld Jr
Great Sreies

I highly recommend this book, good plot, good character development, a;though it is similar to the moon is a harsh mistress, it is different enough to being a very good read
Bernard Dunne
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although ordinarily not a sci-fi fan I really enjoyed both books in this series. Truly had trouble putting then down.
Ken Snyder
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great follow up to the first book. Really enjoyed the concept and the characters.
michael w rees
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Well written second novel. Throughly enjoyed the events, people and action in this book. Please keep writing fiction like this
Alvaro
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was generally good with one exception: the religious references towards the end.
John C Lapinel
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written book

Great follow-up to the first book, once I started reading, I had trouble stopping. An excellent mixture of ancap politics and moon colony sci-fi.
Keith Robinson
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great conclusion

Awesome conclusion to the story. Looking forward to seeing if the Dogs can save John and how far Max will take them. Great books.
John Whitaker
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

This was another great book from an interesting author. Would recommend this book to anyone. Good character development and plot line.
Leif Hendrickson
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Good read, overly drawn out at points
robert bishop
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to put down

Great story line. Read books 1 & 2 back to back
Reminded me of historical events and current events o
In one great story line
Ed Brault
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heir apparent to Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Well written homage to many of the great freedom and liberty at novels
A good read, well paved and thought provoking
Travis Kraemer
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!

Great Series with some interesting twists on the classic space colonization. I really really really really really don't like length requirements in reviews ;)
Mike Dahlstrom
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent sequel to a great first book. The story finds its feet here, the writing is smoother as the characters are more 3D. Couldn’t put it down.
Donald A. Hensch
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

Good action sci-fi novel. Good plot deveopment and follow through . Interesting characters, weel explained. Kinda long but very entertaining.
James C. Newquist
Very Good

This book picks up rightfully from the first. Kept me on edge till the end. I cannot wait for book three.

• Staking A Claim (Aristillus)
  • The Team (Aristillus)
  • Boneshaker (Terran Scout Fleet #2)
  • USS Hamilton: Ironhold Station
  • The Voyage of the Iron Dragon: An Alternate History Viking Epic (Saga of the Iron Dragon,  #3)
  • Prelude to Extinction
  • Collapse (Kelly Turnbull #4)
  • The Pursuit of the Pankera: A Parallel Novel About Parallel Universes
  • A Nation Interrupted
  • A Bright Shore (The Eden Chronicles #1)
  • New Shores
  • The Dream of the Iron Dragon (Saga of the Iron Dragon, #1)
  • Conviction
  • Rando Splicer (The Spiral Wars #6)
  • The Queen's Pardon (Alexis Carew, #6)
  • Spheres of Influence (Stellar Heritage, #2)
  • Torchship Trilogy
  • Proxima Rising (Proxima Trilogy, #1)
Travis J I Corcoran is a Catholic anarcho-capitalist, a software engineer, and a business owner. He is an amateur at farming, wood turning, blacksmithing, cooking, throwing ceramic pots, and a few other things.

He lives on a 50 acre farm in New Hampshire with his wife, dogs, livestock, and a variety of lathes and milling machines.

Travis has had non-fiction articles published in several national mag

Aristillus (2 books)
  • The Powers of the Earth (Aristillus  #1)