Start by marking “Before You Wake: Three Horrors” as Want to Read:
Before You Wake: Three Horrors

Before You Wake: Three Horrors

A trilogy of horror tales selected from the award-winning writer's second full collection – HASTY FOR THE DARK – featuring more of the nightmarish visions and ghastly creatures that have been disturbing readers for years. In this book you'll find three stories of occult and demoniac horror.

No blackmail is as ghastly as extortion from angels.
A swift reckoning often travel
Published August 9th 2017 by Ritual Limited (first published August 7th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Before You Wake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before You Wake

Spencer
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adam never fails to deliver unnerving horror that is masterfully written, and this trio of stories has just made me even more impatient for his next collection of stories ‘Hasty for the Dark’!
Sara
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Before You Wake is three tales being offered for free in ebook form through Nevill's official website in anticipation of the release of Hasty for the Dark: Selected Horrors in October.

The first story is The Angels of London is a story of a man down on his luck in London living in a horrible apartment building with an even worse landlord. It reminded me of a male counterpart to No One Gets Out Alive, but more satisfying. I also couldn't help thinking of this:
description

The second story, Always in Our Heart
Nichola
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review yet to come.
Leah Bayer

This slim but effective trio of stories is a preview for Adam Nevill's next collection, and what a delicious appetizer it is. I found his first collection a bit hit-or-miss for me, but all 3 of these were absolutely fantastic (though very different stylistically).

"The Angels of London." Dickens meets modern horror. This is the story of a man who moves into an apartment above a bar, and his landlord is... shall we say, a bit unusual. People who move into The Angel don't move out, and th
Kaisersoze
My first foray into the dark, foreboding world of Adam Nevill was an appetizing one. His detailed writing and capacity to build atmosphere were both immediately apparent, and in the case of the first two stories, I became enthralled as to how each was going to play out. Both were satisfying in their own way and represented an author on top of his game, combining supernatural creatures and events with protagonists who were both very flawed and (in some ways) all too real.

Unfortunately, the third
Rohit Sawant
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had a blast reading this sampler of Hasty for the Dark! Creepy, cleverly crafted trio of tales with startling, unique imagery. Atmospheric and richly written, especially that. I loved how tactile the stories were. Really looking forward to dive into the full collection.
Harsh Kumar
I think Adam Nevill is a prolific writer.
This one was good not great
Three short horror stories out of which I really liked the second one the most.
The other two were good enough.
I am looking forward to read more of his books as I loved his novel the Ritual.
Bekki Mcmahon
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A trio of terrible things that will follow you down unlit corridors.

As a connoisseur of horror, I am delighted by these three chilling morsels. Whets the appetite for a main course, and luckily there is plenty more on the menu to choose from with Adam's other books. Highly recommended reading, especially at night, when the dark ones wait for you to put the book down and turn out the light!
Tina
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there's one thing I can count on in today's horror fiction, it's that Adam Nevill knows how to make me feel extremely uncomfortable within just a few eloquently formulated - beautifully so - sentences.

I won't give away too much - I myself prefer to dive into short fiction head first and blindly. The first tale reminds of 'No One Gets Out Alive', as a fellow reviewer remarked - a basis, perhaps -, but is still anything but predictable. While 'Angels' sticks as a feeling of deep unease, the fi
Catherine Cavendish
Three very different, great short stories from the pen of one of modern horror's greats. The Angels of London is probably my favourite (althóugh I enjoyed them all). Set in a seedy lodging house with a landlord that makes Rigsby (remember 70s TV series Rising Damp?) look like a saint, this is the story of Frank and his descent into a personal hell as he discovers there is far more to his bedsit than mould, extortionate rent and strange house mates. The story unfolds and tension mounts until the ...more
Tony
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Later in 2017 Adam Nevill releases his second full collection of short stories “Hasty for the Dark” and to get his hoard of hungry fans into the mood he has just dropped this three story teaser “Before You Wake: Three Horrors” In these three exquisitely crafted short stories you have a solid introduction to what one of Britain’s greatest living horror writers is all about. Long term fans will dive in greedily, but if you’re a newbie to Nevill, this taster is the perfect start to an author with a ...more
Julie
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new collection of short stories by Adam Nevill, Hasty for the Dark’, will soon be published and 'Before You Wake' is a taste of things to come.

The Three stories; The Angels of London. Always in Our Hearts and Hippocampus took me around an hour and a half to read so this is a nice treat if you've got a couple of hours spare.

As with all Adam Nevill fiction this work is on the far side of surreal darkness and the brooding, eerie atmosphere begins right from the start. The ideas behind all three s
Lydian Faust
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful trio of dark tales. Definite folk-horror vibes. Well-written in a classical style.
Tina
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a trilogy of brilliantly well crafted, creepy stories, probably one of the best I've read in ages. Plus, it's absolutely free! Adam sure knows how to spoil his readers.
Dom Voyce
A free sampling of three horrors from Adam Nevill's forthcoming collection Hasty For The Dark. Adam excels at growing the sense of uneasy terror in his stories, slowly teasing the terrors into your mind's eye. A shadow here, a creaking stair there and before you know it it's too late to close your eyes. The three tales included here are a real treat.
Caroline
This is a rather tasty little three-horror book from Adam Nevill, a little taste of what's to come in his next compilation. If it's chills you want, then Adam is the guy for you. He never fails to deliver. There are no cheap thrills here, just honest to goodness spine-tingling horror at it's best. Read it if you dare.
Dsjm Reviews
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by: Demetrius Svette

It is the choices we make in life that leads us to the ultimate trial for our ever-lasting souls. These choices are portrayed in each individual story that makes up Before You Wake, a collection of three horror stories from the occult and demonic perceptions. Nevill presents original characters that are played out in the worst possible environments you can imagine within each horrific tale that awaits you in this nail biting, unbearable and nerve wracking collection.
Ross Cumming
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is another free Kindle collection of three Adam Nevill short stories this time taken from his second collection, due out in October.
I enjoyed these stories more, especially ‘Hippocampus’ about a freighter ship battling its way through a storm with an unknown cargo on board. The other two tales tell of an unwelcoming and inhospitable lodging house and a taxi drivers bizarre and frightening journey.
It is Nevill’s descriptive writing that I enjoy most and he is very adept at creating an unset
Mike
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book consists of 3 short stories and is, I believe, a sampler for Mr Nevill's upcoming book of short stories.

The first story is the longest and is an excellent tale of the type the author does so well: normal people lost in the big bad world. You don't want to read it if you're feeling at all fragile. Or, indeed, if you are at all empathetic :-)

The other two stories are OK, nowt wrong with them, but they are very much in their predecessor's shadow.
John Hosmer
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read much horror (or short stories for that matter) and this is the first I've read from Adam Nevill, but I really enjoyed it.

Beautiful writing with great pacing and seemingly innocent stories really draws you in. I am very interested in reading more from him.

One of my favorite things (and some may consider this a MINOR spoiler) is that there isn't resolution to every story. I've always been annoyed by authors who give too much away too quickly and eliminate the fear / mystery / imagin
Keith Bell
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A small taste of 3 absolutely great tales, gritty, disturbing,

and each individual that genuinely put me at unease,
conjuring up things i didnt want to dream of, thanks:)
em
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Suspense building and clever

The author really knew how to set the scene, in each story i felt like i was there, as a witness or the main character.
Yolanda Sfetsos
After reading Adam Nevill's other free anthology, I couldn't wait to get stuck into this one...

THE ANGELS OF LONDON:

Well, this turned out to be a dark and disturbing creepy story dipped in a vat of paranoia.

Frank rents a small dingy room above a shitty, derelict bar and pays way too much. Between his crappy security job and the annoying landlord hassling him for money, he wants to escape his life.

But the real collectors don't let anyone leave...

Such a grimy story. While reading it I actually fel
Renata
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Before You Wake” is a trilogy of horror tales with an air of classic British horror - featuring visions, nightmares, and ghastly creatures, stories focusing on the occult and demonic horror.

The first story is titled “The Angels of London” – about a man who moves to London for work, only to land up with a poorly paying job and dreadful accommodation, with a landlord from hell and unsympathetic co-tenants. Rules at 'The Angels' keep changing, but the only constant is once you move in, you never m
Andy Kristensen
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
First two stories are great- they’re atmospheric and the pacing is near-perfect and the plots are interesting. Both of them deal in mysteries that are slowly revealed over the course of the stories until a big reveal at the end, and Nevill writes in a way that pays off well.

And then there’s the third story. Oof.
It basically reads like a very long one-shot short film- think that famous one-shot sequence in season one of True Detective. Only thing is, that kind of thing only works on TV- the des
Steve
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Before You Wake" is an e-book which is selection of three short stories taken from Adam Nevill's second book of short stories called "Hasty for the Dark". to which after reading these three short stories I am very much looking forward to reading, and have already secured my hardback copy :)

And I think the cover to "Before you wake" would make an awesome T-shirt.

"Before You Wake" is available as a free download once you subscribe to Adam's email list on his website http://www.adamlgnevill.com)
Kay March
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yes, horror can be poetic.

Personally, I like the stories almost completely, recommending that any horror reader give "Before You Wake" and "Before You Sleep", a try.
This review is not for one but for both books. The suggestion subsiding the titles makes me want to have them on the same shelf... so much like "Hippocampus" (my favourite tale) separated, but not too far apart.
If one likes to be a little bit shaken by what or whom might lurks in the shadows, one has to consider that it's not always
Christian
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Three horror-shorts, albeit not in the slightly "folkish" style you might expect with that kind of cover. Anyway, I liked the first one, "The Angels of London", the most for its socially depressing atmosphere and a horrifying take on the landlord-tenant relationship. "Alyways In Our Hearts" is a cryptic revenge-story I didn't quite get and "Hippocampus" evokes a certain Lovecraftian feel with it's mysterious, bloody happenings on high sea, although I'm not sure it works one hundred percent in it ...more
Brian
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
"Always in Our Hearts" - What an amazing story! Oh, the times I have awoken in a sweat over the fears of forgetting terrible actions both large and small. The injustice of a callous driver escaping punishment both externally and from his own conscience always creates a sickening feeling in my stomach. I have dreamed of some force of nature that could exact vengeance upon those who most deserve it.
Kaitie
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Better than I anticipated

I’m a big fan of horror and scary things and this book is no exception. It gave me a few good scares and spooks where I wanted to stop reading while being alone at night! The storytelling was amazing and the amount of detail put into each short story was fabulous. I can’t wait to pick up for from this author!

• Land of Bones
  • Lay Me out Softly: Short Stories
  • Selfies
  • Storberry
  • Welcome to the Show
Adam L.G. Nevill was born in Birmingham, England, in 1969 and grew up in England and New Zealand. He is the author of the horror novels: 'Banquet for the Damned', 'Apartment 16', 'The Ritual', 'Last Days', 'House of Small Shadows', 'No One Gets Out Alive', 'Lost Girl', and 'Under a Watchful Eye'. His first short story collection, 'Some Will Not Sleep: Selected Horrors', was published on Halloween, ...more
“Life is full of repetition,’ the man eventually said. ‘Same bad things keep happening.” 0 likes
“The more he thought about potential accidents, the more Ray also wondered why more vehicles out there were not suddenly crashing. Or why the entire network of roads did not become one long sequence of traffic accidents. How did it all just keep going with such fallible, easily distracted creatures behind the wheels?” 0 likes