Start by marking “A Daughter's Promise” as Want to Read:
A Daughter's Promise

A Daughter's Promise

To the memory of Ruth Swerdloff, whose journey you are about to take.
Published 2017 by EditPros LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Daughter's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Daughter's Promise

Fran
Aug 11, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
To the memory of Ruth Swerdloff, whose journey you are about to take.
Many people fall into routines that require them to do the same thing, the same way, everyday. They get up, go to work and perform the same job, read the same types of books—never changing anything. When they are forced to vary from their routines, some people often find it difficult, or virtually impossible. People, not just seniors, who take part in different activities each day give their minds a chance to workout, which may
Lois
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The indomitable spirit of womankind radiates throughout this revealing memoir of the author’s mother, who was partly responsible for the written text, and who proved herself so worthy to be the ultimate source of the material on which A Daughter’s Promise is based. This small volume is a worthy commemoration of a life well lived, and with each word Fran Lewis brings honor to her mother’s name. The deep sense of respect that Lewis has for her mother, Ruth, is shown in the lifelong values that the ...more
Eileen Thornton
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the true story of how a daughter was determined to keep a promise she made to her mother. Ruth, the mother, had always been a strong woman. She had three children and always stressed that whatever they did in life they should do it well. There was to be no half measures. Therefore it must have come as a great shock to her when she found she had Alzheimers.

I have to admit, I didn't know a great deal about this illness until I read this book. Yes, I knew that the person was likely to lose
Kathleen
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Daughter's Promise is a compelling memoir that follows author Fran Lewis' mother Ruth Swerdloff's journey after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, and the affect that the disease had on Ruth, Fran, and their family.

Ruth and Fran take the reader on an emotional journey as they recount Ruth's difficult battle as the progression of the disease overtakes her life, and the tragic affect that it had on Fran as her primary caregiver.

As a retired nursing home administrator, I couldn't help but
Joan
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Lewis has given us a very raw and honest account of caring for her mother through an Alzheimer's journey. There were intense feelings when her mother was mistreated or ignored. There was distress when family members did not share in the commitment of care but rather went on vacations. At one point Lewis laments, “I have been nowhere for the last seven years...” and admits to getting “quite upset” with relatives and their lack of help. (Loc 626/1314)

Lewis adds writings from her mother's journal
Cheryl
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fran really does portray a good image of what it is like for a family member to have to deal with a loved one with Alzheimer's. I liked that this book was told from Fran's mother's own thoughts. It brought me the reading audience closer to Ruth and Fran. Which in turn kept me engaged in the book. Plus, it was not like I was just reading a book about someone who had Alzheimer's but it was like I was reading about a family member who was experiencing Alzheimer's.

Another thing that is important to
Ann
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book by Fran Lewis. This is a very personal, emotional, heart breaking but also heartwarming tribute not only to a courageous lady but also her daughter.

Fran remembers how her mother Ruth reacted and subsequently coped from when she first realised she had Alzheimer's.   Fran also recalls how she herself struggled at times to keep her promise to her mother.

This amazing story is even more special in the way it is told from two perspectives,  Fran's and also Ruth's.  The courage, stre
Martha Cheves
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Daughter's Promise - Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of: Stir, Laugh, Repeat; Think With Your Taste Buds; and A Book and A Dish

"Six years ago I was able to drive a car and go shopping by myself. I was even able to eat in a restaurant and have lunch with my children and my sister. I took my own medications, I ran the journal for my organization. I even went around to collect money for ads to promote different businesses in my neighborhood. I had o trouble remembering where I was going and wh
Lynda Dickson
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Families dealing with Alzheimer's
Shelves: nonfiction
Fran tells the story of her time as a carer for her mother Ruth, who was battling Alzheimer's. When Fran first found out about Ruth's diagnosis, she honored her mother's wish and promised not to confine her to a nursing home. This was Ruth's greatest fear: "if it were up to the staff of the hospital I would have been placed in a nursing home and left to be forgotten with the rest of the people who have this terrifying, humiliating, and awful disease."

This book is a love letter from a daughter t
 CCAM&GZM
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
The book is written both from point of view of Ruth and Fran using Ruth’s records and Fran memories. One chapter is even written "by" Miracle (you’ll see).

But what is important is that the keyword related to this book is emotion.

The feelings of sadness and of helplessness are both acute and tell us that we are not our masters after all. What individualizes us, the soul and our rationality, crumbles under the fragility of substance. Or maybe not… because Ruth fought to be herself with everything
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very touching and endearing tribute to this author's mother who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease. If you have never known anyone who had to go through this themselves or with a friend or family member, it is a terrible disease, probably the hardest one to have to go through. I liked that the author added both her thoughts and her mother's. It was truly hard and frustrating for both of them.

My daughter was Asst. Activities Directer for an Alzheimer’s and Dementia facility. She would come home
Cindy McDonald
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
True confession: This was a difficult book for me to read. It was a difficult book for me to put down--you see, my mother also suffers from this dreaded disease. She is in the final stages. Fran Lewis details the progression of the disease as it affected her mom and of course Fran herself. As I read through the book, I could identify with each stage, each moment, each tear. This is a book that needed to be written and the strength it took Ms. Lewis to write it is amazing. Thank you for your cand ...more
Cheryl
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-read
A poignant, heartbreaking, and at times emotionally raw, memoir of the devastating disease of Alzheimer’s affecting both the patient and family that love her.

This book touched me to the core in more ways than one, in the different roles of my life. A daughter, having been the sole caretaker of my own mother several years ago and as a retired nurse, caring for patients afflicted by the disease.

A once vibrant, independent and active woman, Ruth Swerdloff, starts to realize that she is starting to
gillian
Jun 16, 2019
Linda Greene
Oct 04, 2017
Reviews and positive feedback 1 5 Aug 11, 2017 10:43AM

Biography: Fran Lewis

Born in the South Bronx, I grew up with people from many ethnic backgrounds. I learned to play and work with children in my school that came from other countries and different places.
I was always over weight as a child and got picked on a lot by the other children in my class and even my teachers. I found it hard to do many of the sporting activities that my sister and cousi