Start by marking “A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1)

A Lady of High Regard

(Ladies of Liberty #1)

Born into affluence, Mia Stanley is a winsome socialite with a knack for matchmaking. She's also a writer for Godey's Lady's Book magazine, much to the disdain of her family and their society friends. A proper young lady of her social standing isn't meant to labor in such a way, but Mia has always had a way with words...

When her writing draws her into the world of

Published July 1st 2007 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Lady of High Regard, please sign up.
Pauline Shulse Her books are good easy reads that have a touch of faith, romance, and an old English feel to them.…moreHer books are good easy reads that have a touch of faith, romance, and an old English feel to them. (less)

Start your review of A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1)
Rachel
Nov 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
My first thought when it was done was "thank goodness." This was just boring, cardboard.

Stereotypical headstrong young woman who fights against the constraints of society. But then, she's not even relateable because I got so sick and tired of her reckless, stupid decisions. There's fighting against society and then there's just being impetuous and foolish. Despite the fact that Mia is told that other people are helping her and that it is unsafe to hand things herself (what does she intend to do
Deanne Patterson
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I really had trouble making a connection with the characters in this book. The story was stiff and the wording very formal. It was not the type of book you could relax and read. The premise of the story was good but I do wish it had been presented in a more relaxed atmosphere!
Dani
At the time that I listened to this audio book, the only other Christian romance author I knew was Lori Wick. Even though this book was based in the same time period, there was definitely a different tone as Peterson's characters are based in a city and high society rather than on the prairie. This meant that the characters had more to do than just eat and go to church :-). If you don't like the in-your-face devotional nature of a Wick book, then you may want to try Peterson. The characters in ...more
Cathy Daniel
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm so torn on this book. While I was annoyed more than once over Mia's idiotic tendencies and ninny ways, I do see that she meant well and had a good heart. I liked the ending. The writing is wonderful as always but I agree with some of the other reviews. Garrett being interrupted from confessing his love multiple times got old. Once or twice, ok. But six times or more?! Just annoying. Overall, I enjoyed this book though I was tempted to put it down more than once .
Cindy
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nicely done Christian mystery with twists. Love reading her novels. Never a pushy message, just regular people living a Christian life (of course there’s murder, theft and other real life happenings). Recommended (as usual for this author).
Cintia
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
This is the kind of book the three-star GoodReads rating is reserved for. It’s not a complete mess, but it’s not that good either. Did I like it? Yes, and no. It’s fluffy and romantic, but I’m honestly not impressed.

FULL REVIEW IN MY BLOG: http://abookandateacup.blogspot.com/2...

Haley S
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
This was a good historical romance. However, the main character Mia was quite annoying. No female of that time would do some of the things she did, no matter how headstrong or stubborn. It was too over-the-top in my opinion what she did.
But, overall, it was a cute read!
Carrie
A lady of High Regard takes place in 1852 Philadelphia, it deals with areas that a lady of higher standing shouldn't be sticking her nose into. Because after all it isn't proper for women to get involved in such matters of oppression and poverty. She is to be home having tea parties with her friends and gossiping about the latest fashions from Paris.

Mai lives a comfortable life, and hadn't realized that in her own town just a few blocks from her home down on the docks, people are living in
Raye
Mar 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook of this Christian romance and I was infuriated by both the writing, and to a lesser degree, the audiobook reader. The book itself starred a heroine who repeatedly made stupid choices and had to be rescued by the men in her life, which made me feel this book must have been written decades ago, but, no, it was published in 2007. Next, the men in her life (her father and the love interest) continually patronized her and talked down to her in the name of "looking out for ...more
Marie
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Very predictable. The most interesting story line followed the poor sea men's wives, but unfortunately the book focused on Miss Prim and Proper Mia Stanley. Very boring. Too much time was spent detailing her lavish life of society. It would have been much more interesting had it focused on those actually suffering. The life of a woman trying to survive a low-paying dangerous factory job while caring for her many children and having to deal with horrifying corruption sounds far more intriguing ...more
Jtreed06
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved how clean this book was. Its always a risk to check a book out from the library without a recommendation from someone you trust. This one caught my attention so I gave it a try. I really enjoyed it. The author is obviously religious and talks about the importance of prayer. There were no language issues or questionable scenes. It was set in Philadelphia during the 1800's. The story reminded me of a Jane Austen plot but was not near the caliber as Jane Austen novels. Still I enjoyed it ...more
Cara
Feb 25, 2008 rated it did not like it
I get that it's historical/period piece, but the dialog was just so... unnatural and overly formal (like awkward, not necessarily the proper-formal required for a historical piece) - and I found myself getting frustrated with the characters. ugh. Yet I had to finish it. Some of it felt like God was randomly thrown in there, or the faith questions & prayers not really genuine -- though there was one particular scene that was well done, faith-wise, I felt. But just one.
Kenzie
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how Tracie Peterson tells a story with a lesser known part of history woven into it. Great story!
Nancy
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a good book, the plot was gripping and the descriptions of life among high society were a delight to read about. The main focus was Mia Stanley, the headstrong, intelligent, and courageous daughter of a wealthy family. I identifed easily with Mia, and the other characters were convincingly portrayed as authentic individuals.
The plot, based on historical fact, kept me very interested. As Mia got more concerned with and involved in helping alleviate the plight of the seamen's wives and
Samanta
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh Mia, Mia...such a big heart you have that it often defies common sense, but I can relate so I can't judge. :)

Mia Stanley is a memeber of Philadelphia's high society of 1850's. She is also an avid social activist who often discards her own safety in order to help those in need. Thank God (who is, by the way, mentioned alot throughout the book) she has her long-time best friend (or maybe even something more) Garrett to think of her safety for her.

Mia and Garrett reminded me alot of Emma and
Natalie
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked it ok. The romance was very Emma/Mr. Knightly-esque: girl and guy have known each other forever, he's 8 years older and friends with her father, he's super successful and acts as her moral soundboard, he's very handsome and is finally looking to take a wife, she's young and beautiful, adored by her family, loves playing matchmaker amongst her friends - I mean seriously, is any of this sounding familiar? Set in Philadelphia during the 1850s, it really was a nice setting for a novel. My ...more
Sydney Elaine
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed with this book. It started out promising, but it was very repetitive and I got bored with it after a while. (view spoiler) ...more
Karin
Nov 25, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a good book. It was a typical story line where the hero and heroine love each other and don't realize it until it's almost too late. They are both trying to "protect" each other. during this read, I realized why I was so frustrated with dating as a single person. All of the "games" and conventions that was are taught we "need" to observe as we "court". Blech. What it does is drive a wedge and you are destined to never understand each other. Tell your "other" what you feel. Be ...more
Melissa B
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I can’t stand Mia Stanley. She’s compassionate, I’ll give her that- but she’s also stupid. Totally and completely stupid. It almost made the story unreadable to me. She took many unrealistic risks with her safety and if she referred to Garret as her “big brother” one more time I would have screamed. Another reviewer commented on how many times Garret was interrupted when he tried to proclaim his love for her- that was quite ridiculous. I liked the idea of this book, but it could have been much ...more
Tara
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wonderful read. Fun story line that is very similar to Jane Austen's book Emma. If you enjoy romance based on a solid friendship this is a great read for you. Loved the determination of the main character. It was easy to relate to her.
Mandy Spigle
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Tracie Peterson is one of my favorite authors and this series doesn't disappoint - especially since my mom was able to snag the author's signature on each one! Aside from the autograph, Tracie depicts a whole time-line of characters through the books to teach lessons from life. Her sense of what a woman needs to hear about trusting God and being a virtuous lady is uncanny and she delivers in a completely unpretentious way. I highly recommend.
Gayle
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I didn't like this book quite as well as others by this author. The heroine kind of annoyed me with how stubborn/blind she was about the danger she was putting herself in. I also thought there were too many "almost" conversations between the two main characters. But I liked the time period and learning more about the historical issues that the book dealt with.
Talia
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Mia sure knows how to buck the system in all the (dangerous) ways.

So many times, I found myself thinking, "Don't do that!" and "Stop endangering yourself (in dumb ways)."

It was beyond the normal kind of slightly-thought-out-endangering-of-one's-self. She admitted later on in the book that she thought no harm would come to her since she was trying to seek justice and that explained why she did so much dumb stuff. Anyways, it became a little tiring just how little she heeded others' warnings.
Jan
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Born into affluence, Mia Stanley is a winsome socialite with a knack for matchmaking. She's also a writer for Godey's Lady's Book magazine, much to the disdain of her family--and their society friends. A proper young lady of her social standing isn't meant to labor in such a way, but Mia has always had a way with words...

When her writing draws her into the world of downtrodden seamen's wives on Philadelphia's docks, Mia uncovers a scheme that puts her in harm's way. But her heart ends up on the
Maryk Adams
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC STORY, from a really, really, Genuinely, Passionate, tried and true Author who tells intensely expressive stories in a way that will pull you in and hold on to you with historical accurate plots, storyline, main story of a literary or dramatic work, By this TOTALLY AMAZING an incredibly unique Author. Tracie is one of my top 5 Authors, I think I have purchased nearly every book she has written, if you are thinking about trying this book (or any book by Tracie) it’s a “NO BRAINER”
BUY
Rose Marie Ray
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book telling you about the differences in society living and poor living. How a girl born into society can have compassion for others, mainly the poor people living on the docks, and make so many wrong choices. These choices not only endangered her life but the poor people living on the docks. It should make you stop and think what you want to do and is it going to be a safe thing to do for you as well as others. Not only that but it doesn't hurt one bit to let others help ...more
Pam Masters
The overall story was ok, easy read and all. I take issue with some of the characters, they just seemed to grate my nerves (not sure why). It was easy to see from the beginning that Mia and Garrett were going to get together by the end of the book. While other characters in the book had names that I feel are historically accurate, but I don't believe Mia and Garrett aren't names that would have been used in that time period.
Elaine
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge
Our heroine is definitely a young lady who is compassionate and generous. She was determined to help the poor and abused sailor's wives and their children, even at her own risk. Her good friend wasn't at all happy about her nightly excursions to bring relief to these families. He felt she needed protection. Maybe, even more?
A book that talks of the distant past but unfortunately the problems of poverty still remain.
Gayle
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick beach read set in America in the mid 1800's. Not my favorite but interesting reading and a get away from the heaviness of the world while containing some Christian instruction in the plot. Not very involved in plot or character development though this is my favorite of the trilogy as it spoke to me spiritually and challenged me in some areas of my life, which is one reason I read Christian fiction.
Rosa
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, I found this book very boring. I appreciated the Christian references, but that seemed to be all it was. I am a Christian so no problem with the references, but I couldn't find the plot. I listened to it on an audio tape so maybe it was the reader, but the book seemed like one long sigh. Woe is me I feel bad for everyone and everything......I'm going to try the next one, but if it isn't interesting, I'm done and will not read the whole story.

• The Measure of a Lady
  • A Bride in the Bargain
  • Distant Dreams (Ribbons of Steel, #1)
  • Who Brings Forth the Wind (Kensington Chronicles, #3)
  • A Promise for Ellie (Daughters of Blessing, #1)
  • Letter Perfect (California Historical, #1)
  • Valley of Dreams (Wild West Wind, #1)
  • A Measure of Mercy (Home to Blessing, #1)
  • Head in the Clouds
  • Westward the Dream (Ribbons West, #1)
  • Marrying Mandy (Brides of Clearwater, #1)
  • Fancy Pants (Only in Gooding, #1)
  • A Worthy Pursuit (A Worthy Pursuit, #1)
  • From a Distance (Timber Ridge Reflections, #1)
  • Paper Roses (Texas Dreams, #1)
  • Out of Control (Kincaid Brides, #1)
  • Petticoat Ranch (Lassoed in Texas, #1)
  • A Dangerous Legacy (Empire State, #1)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison

Ladies of Liberty (3 books)
  • A Lady of Hidden Intent (Ladies of Liberty, #2)
  • A Lady of Secret Devotion (Ladies of Liberty, #3)
“Pastor Brunswick talked of the liberty and freedom that was found in the Lord. He talked of Jesus and of His words in John: “Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” “The liberty we’ve enjoyed,” the pastor continued, “has not come without a price. Freedom is never without a price. Good men died to liberate our country from a tyrant. Good men continue to die to see that we remain free. Free to worship as we choose—not because a government dictates it. Free to speak our minds. Free to live as we have deemed appropriate. But there are many responsibilities in such freedoms. We must each remember that we have our own duty to see that freedom’s light is never extinguished.” The” 1 likes
“I want to believe in a new thing, Lord. I want that more than anything. I want to forget the old things—the bad and ugly things that have sent me here. Please let me see your hand in all of this. Let me see the path through this wilderness.” 0 likes