Start by marking “Dark Queen (Jane Yellowrock, #12)” as Want to Read:
Dark Queen (Jane Yellowrock, #12)

Dark Queen

(Jane Yellowrock #12)

Jane Yellowrock used to hunt vampires, but now she must fight--and win--beside them.

As Enforcer to the vampire Master of the City of New Orleans, Jane Yellowrock stakes her reputation and her life on keeping her territory safe. But Leo has been issued a blood challenge by the emperor of the European vampires, who seeks to usurp all of his power and possessions. If Leo lose
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 432 pages
Published May 1st 2018 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Dark Queen, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sandra
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Dark Queen (Jane Yellowrock, #12)
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and Berkley publishers for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Faith, you've destroyed me. You wrote this masterpiece, filled to the brim with countless emotions. You created these characters that I've come to care about over the years. You have been guiding them towards this showdown with the European Vamps for the last half of the series. But what you haven't been doing us is preparing us for JUST HOW HARD IT WOULD BE. You didn't prepare me to have my
Douglas Meeks
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok, where to start ... probably unknown to most people is that this was originally thought to be the last Jane Yellowrock book (a crime beyond comprehension). The series got a reprieve and there will be at least 2 more books BUT according to the author most of this book was written by that time and so it does some things that you might not like (I can think of several of them). In the long term I am sure it will be fine but you can see it was lining up for a finale and then the story turns a cor ...more
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
“We don’t poison. We shoot, stab, cut, slice and dice, eviscerate, disembowel, and decapitate. Sometimes shoot and blow up our enemies. We’ve been known to bury our dead in the swamp. But we don’t poison. Poison is wussy.”

Some series get weaker as they continue past a certain high numbers, but some stay strong. Jane Yellowrock continues to shine with keeping some of the same aspects that made fans fall in love with it in the first place, but there are enough changes to keep it interesting.

The
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I can’t get away from that effing c word! This better be okay!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Robin (Bridge Four)
Finally, the showdown has arrived

description

I can’t even remember the first time the European Vamps were brought up possibly back at book 5 or 6 and finally we get the to big battle. The one where two vamps enter and only one vamp leaves. This is a game where cheating is encouraged and permitted and it seems no one is pulling any punches.

This was a peddle to the mettle, high octane ride from the moment Jane opened a knock on the door just to have someone shoot at her on page 2 to the last words on the fina
Beth

Blog Tour Giveaway
Click to Enter for Chance to Win 1 of 2 SETS
of THE JANE YELLOWROCK SERIES

We knew it was coming but the battle between Leo with his American vampires and the European vampires is finally here. And boy, did Hunter pull out all the stops and send us on an emotional roller coaster!

Jane, being Jane, ended up front and center for everything. No one is sure what she’ll do next... I’m not sure she even knows. Just when I thought she finally got a handle on the entire family has you
Maria Dimitrova
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even though I was prepared for the worst event thanks to Steven, Dark Queen wrecked me. I don't know how to describe how much it affected me or how much it got me speculating about the future. I have my own hopes and ideas about where things can go from here but I hardly dare think them let alone say them out loud so I don't jinx it *settles in for a long wait*

I've been hoping for a resolution to the EV plotline for a few books now and I finally got my wish. I actually expected the duels to take
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Eagerly anticipated book in this series, I am blown away. B.L.O.W.N A.W.A.Y. For those who have not read the first eleven books in this series, it is a must read prior to this one. In Dark Queen, the intimidating European Vampires finally show up. The build up has been coming along with scary powerful Vampires ready to take Leo and his coven down. The preparation has made it stressful for Jane and her team who have to protect Leo.

I thought this installment would be all doom and gloom. It would
Linda
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it

I love the world Hunter has created with the Jane Yellowrock series, and many of its characters have become favorites. The previous several books all have been leading up to this final face-off between Leo and the European vamps as well as their respective allies. All that build-up. All that tension. Aaaaand...I found the story satisfying and frustrating in not so equal measures.

First the good stuff:

Over the course of the series, Jane has grown from a loner to one who has built her own
Ian
I can't remember when the European Vampires first showed up on the scene but I guess it was 5 or 6 books ago. So this final battle with the EVs has been a long time coming and honestly I'm a little conflicted.

I'm still trying to figure out if I love this book or if it's a disappointment. A lot of what I love changes in the pages of this book and I guess that's the issue. Book 13 is going to look very different and calling a spade a spade, Dark Queen didn't leave me satisfied. Do I wanter to ven
RachelW (BamaGal)
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I’m going to have to go with 3.5 stars here, as I was a bit disappointed. The story was convoluted, overly wordy, and I honestly didn’t particularly enjoy parts of it. The storyline drags the reader all over the place, and I skimmed through portions. Subplots were brought up (like Rick, and Jane’s newly found ‘brother’); and the threads left hanging, apparently for the next book. The wordbuilding, however, is very good as always; and the ending was a game changer for the series.

Faith Hunter rea
Bambi Unbridled
description

Sigh, I was so happy to be back with Jane and the gang that I really didn't want this book to end. Then as I was reading, with this being the end of a story arc (the Sangre Duello), I was afraid it would be the end of the series. Jane and Beast have become one of my very favorite heroine pairs in urban fantasy, and I hope they stay around for the foreseeable future.

Dark Queen picks up at the end of Cold Reign, with all the New Orleans vamps and Jane preparing for the Sangre Duello with the Euro
Anne - Books of My Heart
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 7arcs, 2018
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I've read every bit of the Jane Yellowrock series , including all the novellas. I love the rich tableau of the world and its characters. I enjoy sinking into the characters and the story. I let myself go and become the main character to a certain degree. In Dark Queen, this was terrifying because Jane was different.

Norm
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

Dark Queen is the 12th installment in author Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series. Series overview for those who haven't :::shocked face:: read the series yet. Warning number one: don't think you can jump into this story without having read the previous books in the series. Doesn't work, and there is so much that has happened that you will be utterly confused and disappointed. Second, this is an urban fantasy series featuring shapeshi
Jen Davis
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was completely and utterly blown away by this book. Each installment in the Jane Yellowrock series has been good, but this one took it to an entirely new level. So much is happening here. I was completely on the edge of my seat. And it was a gamechanger, guys. I had so many feels.

This is the book where we finally get the big face-off between Leo’s people and the European vamps in their long awaited Blood Duel. A huge event like that—I totally expected to take up an entire book on its own, but
Marta Cox
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally the long awaited duel between Leo and the European Vampires is here ! For most of this book we see Jane preparing but her life is getting ever more complicated when a stranger shows up at her door. Add in the fact that she's coming to terms with all that it means to be the Dark Queen and you just have to sit in awe at this authors imagination. As usual Leo is at his manipulative best but it's everything that's happening to Jane that makes this a wildly twisting story.
All my favourites a
TJ
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5.0

Oh how I love this series! It is everything an urban fantasy lover could dream of! Jane Yellowrock is a uniquely creative character with abilities and powers far and beyond even her own comprehension. Yet, she is also a very “every-woman” - one who has faults, who struggles, who has insecurities. She loves deeply, worries about those under her care and does her very best - amidst her own flaws and failures - to do what is honorable.

This installment is the perfect example of the strength
Imogene
Hmmm. 3.5.
It’s too complicated for a 4. I keep having to try and remember all the stuff that happened, that was still a bit too complicated at the time, plus keep straight all the stuff that is being set up for future books.

Better than a 3 because a whole bunch of things finally happen after being built up for the last few books.

I can’t help but feel that Jane is becoming a bit too Anita Blake. Wait, I know that she’s much MUCH better as a character and as a person, and has none of the over-wro
boogenhagen
Pam Blome
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book left me stunned and amazed. I love this series and when I saw that I could get a copy via NetGalley, I leaped at the chance.
This was written as a finale of sorts and tied up the story lines. The European Vampires have challenged the Master of the City of New Orleans, Leo, in a winner take all duel. Skinwalker and Enforcer for the MOC, Jane Yellowrock and her crew are preparing for this event. Jane has a long, complicated history and a man, skinwalker shows up on her doorstep claiming t
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Well, it was a good story. The author tried to take unpredictable twist, but the avid reader in me saw them coming especially the end. So that I don't spoil it, if you've read, if it's true, I may end my journey with Jane Yellowrock.

Let me just say I don't like Jane much. Tell me how poor Rick is the villain in most readers eyes. He flirted with women in the name of duty for his job. How is that different than Bruiser holding Jane down as Leo took her blood without her permission those many book
Mindy Mymudes
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic rollercoaster ride that jerked my head around so often with it twisty turns I didn't want it to stop. Wow.
Monadh
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uf, vampires, new-orleans
You gotta love Leo

This is one of my absolute favorite UF series and not in small part because of Leo. The main difference between UF and PNR was once described as the focus of the story not being the romantic relationship between the two main protagonists and the plot functioning even in the absence of that relationship. Jane does have a romantic interest/love life of sorts; at the beginning of the series she is involved with Ricky Bo, but that relationship goes nowhere after Rick betrays her. A
Mara
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
What a ride. I admit I wasn't sure I wanted to read this book immediately as I had heard it had a cliffhanger.
But when I found it in a bookstore I couldn't avoid buying it :). Glad I did and even more glad I read it.
Well, Jane has changed a lot in this series, there's no way this is the future she/we imagined years ago. But as I said what a ride.

I see a the weak points that annoyed my friends, but at the end I was still swept away by the story.
To be honest I can actually see the story ending he
Pauline
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will admit at the outset that I have read and enjoyed every Jane Yellowrock book that's been published so I began reading Dark Queen with a bit of preferential bias, but what happened as I read that book was magical.

Faith Hunter has a proven knack for immersing the reader in the Yellowrock world, so a sense of "being there" is one of her great strengths as a writer. Dark Queen started out to be the final book of the Yellowrock series but that changed while it was being written, making things
Minx
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was beyond excited to get my hands on an early reviewer copy of the Dark Queen! I have definitely become a fan of Jane Yellowrock and after the last book, Cold Reign, I was on pins and needles to see where this newest installment would take the story. Dark Queen is the twelfth book, and was supposed to be the last book, in the Jane Yellowrock series but thankfully that is no longer the case. With that said, Dark Queen is an amazing book that brings together a lot of the previous open threads a ...more
Delta
What an amazing series this has been. I am officially in mourning at having finished the last book (so far), which has also been the best. Now the wait for Faith Hunter to do her magic and write the next part of Jane Yellowrock's saga!
—-
2nd reading
Just reread the entire series to prep for book 13–so excited. This series is every bit as good the 2nd time through. Thank you, Faith Hunter. I love the world of Jane Yellowrock.
Diane Lynch
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I loved Faith Hunter’s DARK QUEEN, the twelfth book in the Jane Yellowrock series. Leo, the vampire Master of the City of New Orleans, is preparing for his blood challenge by the emperor on the European vampires. Since Jane is Leo’s Enforcer, she has a lot to prepare for. To top it off, she has some family drama to deal with.

I enjoyed the characters. They are diverse and have a lot of depth. I find Jane’s conversations with Beast amusing. I really appreciated the flashbacks to Jane’s youth. I l
Suz
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, audio
4+ stars

A truly enjoyable entry in the Jane Yellowrock series. I don't think I'd say the ending is a cliff hanger, but it is certainly the end of an era and the harbinger of big changes - of which a major one is unresolved.

But I laughed out loud often, I teared up a bit in a spot or two, and I ended the book glad to have read it but wishing the ending were more resolved instead of next-book set-up. Usually I down grade for that sort of thing, but this time I think it all flowed fairly well.
Matilde Damkier
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I have to admit, this book left me a bit shell-shocked. I mean, where do we even go from here? Is this the last book? The ending was ambiguous enough that I couldn't say for sure.

Spoiler alert:
(view spoiler)
Predictions 9 45 May 22, 2018 08:48AM

• Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Easy Pickings (Walker Papers, #7.6; Jane Yellowrock, #3.1)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Iron and Magic (The Iron Covenant, #1; Kate Daniels, #9.5)
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5; Mercy Thompson World - Complete, #15)
  • Were-
  • Night and Silence (October Daye #12)
  • Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)
  • American Demon (The Hollows, #14)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Wild Hunger (Heirs of Chicagoland, #1)
  • Shadow's Bane (Dorina Basarab, #4)
  • Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy, #3.5)
Faith Hunter's Junkyard Cats novella series is brand new, with book one available only in Audible at this time.

Faith's Jane Yellowrock series is a dark urban fantasy. Jane is a full blooded Cherokee skinwalker and hunter of rogue-vampires in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

The Soulwood series is a dark-urban fantasy / paranormal police procedural /para-thriller series fea

Jane Yellowrock (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Blood Trade (Jane Yellowrock, #6)
  • Black Arts (Jane Yellowrock, #7)
  • Broken Soul (Jane Yellowrock, #8)
  • Dark Heir (Jane Yellowrock, #9)
  • Shadow Rites (Jane Yellowrock, #10)