Start by marking “Rebound” as Want to Read:
Rebound

Rebound

(The Crossover 0.5)

Before Josh and Jordan Bell were streaking up and down the court, their father was learning his own moves. In this prequel to Newbery Medal winner The Crossover, Chuck Bell takes center stage, as readers get a glimpse of his childhood and how he became the jazz music worshipping, basketball star his sons look up to.
Published April 2nd 2018 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rebound, please sign up.
Jocelyn This book is focused on Charlie Bell's life before he was the proud farther of Jordan and Josh Bell.
Mara I would say that this book is a poetic graphic novel (as it is ranked in the graphic novels), it has graphic pages that include poetry, but the poetry…moreI would say that this book is a poetic graphic novel (as it is ranked in the graphic novels), it has graphic pages that include poetry, but the poetry is not written to rhyme at each sentence. I am not a person who loves to read poetry, but the way that the poetic verbs are written in this graphic do not get in the way of the understanding of the story at all, all it does is it adds a little tone to the reading. (less)

Abby Johnson
My heeeeaaaarrrtttt.

Y'all know I love The Crossover (for obvious reasons!). This companion book takes a step into the past, telling the story of Josh and JB's dad when he was a middle-schooler. Reeling from the sudden loss of his father, Charlie Bell is struggling. His mom's unable to reach him and afraid that he's going to end up in trouble, so she sends him to spend the summer with his grandparents in Washington DC. There, Charlie gets to know his family and, against his better judgment, star
Joe
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a review of the ARC.

The first poem in Rebound is a lovely series off fleeting, non-rhyming couplets that capture a time, a place, a memory. I pulled the book to my chest. "This is it," I thought.

The second poem in Rebound captured the manic, frenetic energy of Alexander's masterful The Crossover: it was all sound and feeling, energy and zip, breathlessly exciting poetry. I pulled the book to my chest. "I want to savor this," I thought.

Then I got to the first comic, which, in the ARC, is
Paul  Hankins
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to say anything about this book until you've had a chance to read it.

But, I can tell you this. . .I am so happy. . .like so many of you. . .to get in on the "ground floor" with Kwame Alexander. Reading those first books of a shining star of literature for young people.

REBOUND is special. And it hits every post a prequel should hit.

Oh. I've said too much.
Kristy K
I hope Alexander continues writing novels in verse that revolve around sports and coming-of-age. I love the way he can intertwine the two and make it relatable (to my younger self).
Beth Parmer
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-lit
The way this story stands on its own while beautifully weaving into The Crossover is genius.
Mary Ann
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading Rebound. Especially the ending.
And his grandpa. Love him fiercely.
And the comics (poetry slam in comics!!!!!)
And the corny jokes -- burst out laughing in several places (too much sax & violins!)
But really, the power of metaphor to open your heart.

For all of us when we feel storm-beaten and shattered, how we can hold onto hope. Thank you.
Christina Hanson
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know, Chuck,
he says.
You’re not always gonna swish.
...
You gonna miss some.
Heck, you gonna miss a lot.
That’s the way the real world works.
But you gotta grab the ball and
keep shooting. You understand?
Yessir.
I tell you what, though,
you’ll make a lot more
than you miss if
you’re not always going for
the flash
and flair.
Try using
the backboard, son.
You got me.
You got your grandmother.
You got Roxie.
You got your mother.
You got all of us,
remember that!

Kwame “Da Man” Alexander has done it again with his
Brittany
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t think this was possible, but I love this even more than The Crossover. This prequel is expertly written as it makes you forget what you know is coming, but is also so very satisfying as it puts some bows on some answers.

The writing is phenomenal, but the characters are even better. I love every, single one..yes, Charlie/Chuck, mom, CJ are all amazing, but the grandparents stole the show for me. Granddad is sassy and sweet and tender and tough.

You’ll love it.
Kate ☀️ Olson
Thanks to HMH Kids for the advance copy of this book for review - all opinions are my own.

I adore THE CROSSOVER, as do my students, and this prequel is just as wonderful. While it technically could be read as a stand alone, this story is so much more meaningful when read with the context of Chuck Bell as the basketball star father from THE CROSSOVER. I highly recommend this stellar novel in verse for purchase in all middle grade libraries - I will be purchasing for both my elementary and middle
Jordan Henrichs
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
First of all, the good:

- Another book that looks and sounds like The Crossover is alright with me.
- Roxie should have her own story!
- I enjoyed seeing Chuck and CJ's relationship blossom.
- The addition of some graphic story panels is awesome and really fitting of Chuck's voice.
- Chuck's grandfather drops more wisdom than I could keep track of. I earmarked his conversation with Chuck after Chuck's run-in with the police. The conversation about surrounding yourself with good teammates. So good!
Nicole
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My goodness, does Kwame Alexander know how to write. I could not put this down, even with tears streaming down my face. I cannot wait to share this one with my students. They are all big fans of his work, and I know this is no exception.
Shauna Yusko
OMG. I'm in love with this.
Sean
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a good read.
Kristen
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are verse novels, and then there are verse novels written by Kwame Alexander. I was at a speaking event of Alexander's when I found out his next book was a prequel to The Crossover, and I may or may not have squealed like a fangirl. Rebound has the same rhythm, the same flow, the same punch in the gut--and even though it takes place three decades ago, Chuck's story will be just as relatable and accessible to my students.

I felt quite emotional reading this one--probably because 1) Like Chuc
Casey
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this to see if Owen would like it. I think he will. It's tough to find things for him to read right now. The writing style is fun to follow, and the quick chapters keep the story moving. We will see what he thinks. Very appropriate story for middle schoolers.
Renee Doucette
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reading
Much longer than the other novels in verse by Kwame Alexander. This is the story of the twins from The Crossover's dad during the summer of 1988. Some fun cultural throwbacks, but mostly a story about growing up and letting go.
Rachel
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Kwame Alexander’s books for how excited kids are about reading them. I had it out yesterday while I read a little bit during our independent reading day, and I already had multiple kids ask me if they could borrow it next.
Lauren Waters
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a book that takes you on a journey about learning to accept and love your family, friends and the game of basketball, this novel.in verse is for you.
Nikki
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really beautiful story of a boy dealing with the sudden and tragic death of his father. I can't think of any other children's book about grief that is handled in such a profound way without ever being heavy-handed or saccharine. There are lots of wonderful moments that will mean a lot more if you have read The Crossover, but the book definitely stands alone and has its own story to tell. Now excuse me, I am going to listen to some Horace Silver and feel all the feels.
Karley
Apr 03, 2019 added it
I thought this book was amazing! I found it a little bit better than The Crossover. I found it very exciting to read about the dad as a kid in 1988. I highly recommend this book.
Evan N.
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this book because I needed to read a poem book and I read the book Crossover also by Kwame Alexander. This book was pretty good but I liked the book Crossover better.
Leonard Kim
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Probably Alexander’s best yet- both more consistent (hard to do in a verse novel) and higher peaks. The main thing holding me back from a full 5 stars are some of characters who seem more types than people. Chuck and his Mom are well-wrought but Percy is a bit the Magic Grandparent and CJ and Roxie both seem more like a boy’s idea of The Perfect Girl.
Rachel
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s not necessary to read The Crossover to enjoy this prequel about Josh’s dad Chuck, and the summer he learns to rebound both on and off the court. It’s also the summer he learns how to really play ball. To become the GREAT Chuck Bell. How he stops being Charlie. How he meets the love of his life, who starts as his best friend. How family is the ultimate healer, the support, the structure, the reason we keep jumping, lifting, flying. How the stories we thought we knew of those who are gone are ...more
DaNae
I know my friend Joe found many anachronisms in this, but I'm going to plug my ears and sing la la la.

I loved this so much. Give me curmudgeony grandpa and I'm a happy girl. Also, there is a girl superstar basketball player here that deserves everything that comes her way.

Thank you my friend, Joe, for getting me the book, even if I ignored all your earnest goggling about what could and couldn't exist in 1988.
Amy
This is considered a sequel to Alexander's book, Crossover, but I would consider it more of a prequel. It was very interesting learning more about the twins' father, Charlie aka Chuck.

I wasn't sure how Alexander was going to tie Charlie's history to the present, but he did a pretty good job in executing this. It did take me a few seconds to realize that we had drifted back into the past, albeit briefly, with "Later That Summer," but overall, a well-written story.
Mrs. Krajewski
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Charlie Bell, who later is the great Chuck “Da Man” Bell in The Crossover, is a young boy of 12 who just lost his father. He doesn’t know how to grieve, and neither does his mother. They struggle to be around one another so much so that eventually Charlie’s mother decides to send him to spend the summer with his paternal grandparents in Washington, D.C. She believes it will help both of them heal. At first, Charlie is quite reluctant to leave his best friends CJ and Skinny, but soon he enjoys sp ...more
Karen
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I probably owe Kwame Alexander $10. Or an autographed Harlem Globetrotters basketball. Because he makes me look like the best librarian ever when he writes books like this that I can casually hand off to kids who have no idea what's about to hit them. Like Crossover, Rebound is disguised as an easily read novel in verse about basketball. DO NOT LET THAT FACADE FOOL YOU. It's a roller coaster ride, slamming the reader through twists and turns of family and friendship and childhood and music and g ...more
Lindsey
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Why has it taken me this long to read Kwame Alexander? His voice was made for verse novels. I haven't read The Crossover but I plan to now. He sold me with Charlie Bell's coming-of-age story about a summer spent with his grandparents. It has basketball, Marvel comics, 80s references, complicated family relationships, hilarious friendships, ROLLER RINKS, and the verse is on point.

This book is categorized as middle grade on Goodreads and in my library. It reads more like young adult to me, not bec
Jenn Marshall
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crossover was the first Kwame Alexander book I read. I liked it, but found myself getting confused from time to time because I'm not a sports person. But the style of writing and the fact that there is a good story had me hooked.

Rebound is a prequel to Crossover. I could not put it down. The story is still focusing on Basketball, but because it is the beginning I wasn't nearly as confused with the basketball terms and it was fun to see where it all started.
Michelle
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was FANTASTIC! Why have I not read Kwame Alexander before? Because I was a fool! This is a wonderfully executed novel in verse about a young boy in 1988 dealing with the unexpected death of his father. Alexander does an amazing job on all of the voices in the story and the small additions of the comics interspersed are great. It is technically a prequel to some of his YA books, but you don't need to have read them to thoroughly enjoy this book. I devoured it, and then ran to check out ...more
Zeta Book Recomme...: Rebound by Kwame Alexander 1 5 Jan 16, 2019 10:29AM

• Garvey's Choice
  • Patina (Track, #2)
  • Knockout (House Arrest, #2)
  • Can I Touch Your Hair?: Poems of Race, Mistakes, and Friendship
  • Merci Suárez Changes Gears
  • The Journey of Little Charlie
  • Applesauce Weather
  • Silver People: Voices from the Panama Canal
Kwame Alexander is a poet, educator, and New York Times Bestselling author of 21 books, including THE CROSSOVER, which received the 2015 John Newbery Medal for the Most Distinguished Contribution to American literature for Children, the Coretta Scott King Author Award Honor, The NCTE Charlotte Huck Honor, the Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Award, and the Passaic Poetry Prize. Kwame writes for children ...more

The Crossover (2 books)
  • The Crossover
“...it's
just one miss, but
you're gonna have
a whole lotta makes
in this life, 'cause you're just
that good, and it's okay
to be down