Start by marking “Rebound” as Want to Read:
Rebound

Rebound

(The Crossover #0.5)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  9,805 ratings  ·  1,266 reviews
Before Josh and Jordan Bell were streaking up and down the court, their father was learning his own moves. In this prequel to Newbery Medal winner The Crossover, Chuck Bell takes center stage, as readers get a glimpse of his childhood and how he became the jazz music worshipping, basketball star his sons look up to.
Published April 2nd 2018 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rebound, please sign up.
Jocelyn This book is focused on Charlie Bell's life before he was the proud farther of Jordan and Josh Bell.
Alicia Ferrell Chuck/Charlie Bell is 12 years old in 1988.

·  9,805 ratings  ·  1,266 reviews

Start your review of Rebound
Brina
Operation diversify my reading for 2020 is underway. I am easing back into fiction reading and who better to start with than acclaimed children’s and young adult writer Kwame Alexander. He has a Midas touch and is able to go back and forth between age groups effortlessly. I’m not sure if a children’s author would qualify, but Alexander gets my vote as a future poet laureate; his work of poetry is that good, and even better that it encourages middle school and high school students to enjoy readin ...more
Abby Johnson
My heeeeaaaarrrtttt.

Y'all know I love The Crossover (for obvious reasons!). This companion book takes a step into the past, telling the story of Josh and JB's dad when he was a middle-schooler. Reeling from the sudden loss of his father, Charlie Bell is struggling. His mom's unable to reach him and afraid that he's going to end up in trouble, so she sends him to spend the summer with his grandparents in Washington DC. There, Charlie gets to know his family and, against his better judgment, star
Joe
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a review of the ARC.

The first poem in Rebound is a lovely series off fleeting, non-rhyming couplets that capture a time, a place, a memory. I pulled the book to my chest. "This is it," I thought.

The second poem in Rebound captured the manic, frenetic energy of Alexander's masterful The Crossover: it was all sound and feeling, energy and zip, breathlessly exciting poetry. I pulled the book to my chest. "I want to savor this," I thought.

Then I got to the first comic, which, in the ARC, is
Paul  Hankins
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to say anything about this book until you've had a chance to read it.

But, I can tell you this. . .I am so happy. . .like so many of you. . .to get in on the "ground floor" with Kwame Alexander. Reading those first books of a shining star of literature for young people.

REBOUND is special. And it hits every post a prequel should hit.

Oh. I've said too much.
⚓Its me Irina the READER⚓
This book has an amazing ending. TOTALLY 4 stars!!!!!!!
Kristy K
I hope Alexander continues writing novels in verse that revolve around sports and coming-of-age. I love the way he can intertwine the two and make it relatable (to my younger self).
Beth Parmer
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-lit
The way this story stands on its own while beautifully weaving into The Crossover is genius.
Christina Hanson
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know, Chuck,
he says.
You’re not always gonna swish.
...
You gonna miss some.
Heck, you gonna miss a lot.
That’s the way the real world works.
But you gotta grab the ball and
keep shooting. You understand?
Yessir.
I tell you what, though,
you’ll make a lot more
than you miss if
you’re not always going for
the flash
and flair.
Try using
the backboard, son.
You got me.
You got your grandmother.
You got Roxie.
You got your mother.
You got all of us,
remember that!

Kwame “Da Man” Alexander has done it again with his
Mary Ann
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading Rebound. Especially the ending.
And his grandpa. Love him fiercely.
And the comics (poetry slam in comics!!!!!)
And the corny jokes -- burst out laughing in several places (too much sax & violins!)
But really, the power of metaphor to open your heart.

For all of us when we feel storm-beaten and shattered, how we can hold onto hope. Thank you.
mindful.librarian ☀️
Thanks to HMH Kids for the advance copy of this book for review - all opinions are my own.

I adore THE CROSSOVER, as do my students, and this prequel is just as wonderful. While it technically could be read as a stand alone, this story is so much more meaningful when read with the context of Chuck Bell as the basketball star father from THE CROSSOVER. I highly recommend this stellar novel in verse for purchase in all middle grade libraries - I will be purchasing for both my elementary and middle
Brittany
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t think this was possible, but I love this even more than The Crossover. This prequel is expertly written as it makes you forget what you know is coming, but is also so very satisfying as it puts some bows on some answers.

The writing is phenomenal, but the characters are even better. I love every, single one..yes, Charlie/Chuck, mom, CJ are all amazing, but the grandparents stole the show for me. Granddad is sassy and sweet and tender and tough.

You’ll love it.
Nicole
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My goodness, does Kwame Alexander know how to write. I could not put this down, even with tears streaming down my face. I cannot wait to share this one with my students. They are all big fans of his work, and I know this is no exception.
TristanP.
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I finally realized after reading the first couple of pages that the storyline was going to revolve around the father of the main characters of Crossover! Charlie, (their father), at first didn't seem like a basketball player, more or less a nerd. He loved reading comics and always hanged out with his friends. It isn't until Charlie goes to his grandparents and truly starts playing the game of basketball. The author of both these books likes to show the theme coming-of-age, where there are traged ...more
Jordan Henrichs
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
First of all, the good:

- Another book that looks and sounds like The Crossover is alright with me.
- Roxie should have her own story!
- I enjoyed seeing Chuck and CJ's relationship blossom.
- The addition of some graphic story panels is awesome and really fitting of Chuck's voice.
- Chuck's grandfather drops more wisdom than I could keep track of. I earmarked his conversation with Chuck after Chuck's run-in with the police. The conversation about surrounding yourself with good teammates. So good!
Shauna Yusko
OMG. I'm in love with this.
Sean
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a good read.
Ana
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was really good and you really got to connect with the characters and it is cool reading it if you have read the crossover because you can connect the characters and stuff they talk about.
Melanie Dulaney
Kwame Alexander brings another outstanding novel, written in verse, for readers in grades 4 and up that will resonate with a wide variety of readers: fans of sports, realistic fiction, sad-happy heart-warmers, and narrative poetry as well as those looking for a little bibliotherapy when dealing with loss or making/learning from tough life choices. This story of Charlie/Chuck/Da Man Bell will fill in a significant chunk of his life story for those who have already read Alexander's The Crossover a ...more
Kristen
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are verse novels, and then there are verse novels written by Kwame Alexander. I was at a speaking event of Alexander's when I found out his next book was a prequel to The Crossover, and I may or may not have squealed like a fangirl. Rebound has the same rhythm, the same flow, the same punch in the gut--and even though it takes place three decades ago, Chuck's story will be just as relatable and accessible to my students.

I felt quite emotional reading this one--probably because 1) Like Chuc
Jojo
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was really amazing, it is the sequel to the book crossover. This book is about Joshes, and JB's dad when he was twelve years old. There dad's name is Charles and his mom made him go to Washington for summer because she thought that it would be good for him since his dad recently passed away. He stayed with his grandparents where his cousin Roxie taught him how to play basketball. I would recommend this book to anyone who like poetry and basketball. It's about 400 pages and if you sit d ...more
Casey
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this to see if Owen would like it. I think he will. It's tough to find things for him to read right now. The writing style is fun to follow, and the quick chapters keep the story moving. We will see what he thinks. Very appropriate story for middle schoolers.
Rachel
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Kwame Alexander’s books for how excited kids are about reading them. I had it out yesterday while I read a little bit during our independent reading day, and I already had multiple kids ask me if they could borrow it next.
Renee Doucette
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reading
Much longer than the other novels in verse by Kwame Alexander. This is the story of the twins from The Crossover's dad during the summer of 1988. Some fun cultural throwbacks, but mostly a story about growing up and letting go.
Lauren Waters
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a book that takes you on a journey about learning to accept and love your family, friends and the game of basketball, this novel.in verse is for you.
Nikki
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really beautiful story of a boy dealing with the sudden and tragic death of his father. I can't think of any other children's book about grief that is handled in such a profound way without ever being heavy-handed or saccharine. There are lots of wonderful moments that will mean a lot more if you have read The Crossover, but the book definitely stands alone and has its own story to tell. Now excuse me, I am going to listen to some Horace Silver and feel all the feels.
Karley
Apr 03, 2019 added it
I thought this book was amazing! I found it a little bit better than The Crossover. I found it very exciting to read about the dad as a kid in 1988. I highly recommend this book.
Evan N.
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this book because I needed to read a poem book and I read the book Crossover also by Kwame Alexander. This book was pretty good but I liked the book Crossover better.
Lacey ♡☆ Ailene
Even as an adult, I loved and devoured this book! It has a great message and talks about the struggles of youth.
Leonard Kim
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Probably Alexander’s best yet- both more consistent (hard to do in a verse novel) and higher peaks. The main thing holding me back from a full 5 stars are some of characters who seem more types than people. Chuck and his Mom are well-wrought but Percy is a bit the Magic Grandparent and CJ and Roxie both seem more like a boy’s idea of The Perfect Girl.
Laura Gardner
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
5/5 for REBOUND by @kwamealexander, published by @hmhkids. Thanks to @kidlitexchange for this ARC; all opinions are my own.
_*_*_*_*_*
This is a prequel to Crossover and the story of how young Charlie Bell became Chuck "Da Man" Bell, basketball legend.
_*_*_*_*_*
Another @kwamealexander book? Be still my heart! My students (boys and girls b/c there are no boy books and no girl books, right? right.) LOVE Booked and Crossover -- we can't keep them on the shelf! I know they're going to love this one, t
Year 9 Favourite ...: Chiara- Rebound 1 3 Oct 26, 2019 01:24AM
EDU 599 Teaching ...: Rebound by Kwame Alexander 1 2 Jun 25, 2019 11:48AM

• The Jordan Rules: The Inside Story of One Turbulent Season with Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls
  • Ghost Boys
  • The Art of a Beautiful Game: The Thinking Fan's Tour of the NBA
  • The Land of Neverendings
  • Mr. Gedrick and Me
  • Watchdog
  • Dream Team: How Michael, Magic, Larry, Charles, and the Greatest Team of All Time Conquered the World and Changed the Game of Basketball Forever
Kwame Alexander is a poet, educator, and New York Times Bestselling author of 21 books, including The Crossover, which received the 2015 John Newbery Medal for the Most Distinguished Contribution to American literature for Children, the Coretta Scott King Author Award Honor, The NCTE Charlotte Huck Honor, the Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Award, and the Passaic Poetry Prize. Kwame writes for children ...more

The Crossover (2 books)