Start by marking “Diamond Dust: Stories” as Want to Read:

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  291 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Diamond Dust: Stories
Published May 19th 2000 by Mariner Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Diamond Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diamond Dust

Sandhya
May 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Lot of imagery, lyricism in the language, so Anita Desai isn't always the easiest authors to read - especially if you want to get straight to the point. I remember reading Cry The Peacock several years ago and not really grasping much of it - a very mystifying novel with lots of symbols and imagery.

So when I took up her book of short stories -Diamond Dust, I did it with some amount of hesitancy. The first story actually put me off awith its dialogues - which I thought didn't sound 'Indian' at al
Shivam Dixit
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
my personal favorite ones r winterscape, diamond dust and the man who saw himself drown. while in winterscape the evident hardcomings of indian parents r shown nd how they are not able to adjust in the modern settings of their grownup children. it olso shows the deep contrast between western individualistic approach nd indian collective approach.
diamond dust is bout how ppl r mad fr deir love and obsessions no matter how mch nybdy else tries to cnvince dem. man who saw himslf drown is d best on
Tya
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that one of the most beautiful things that an author can do in a short story collection is creating a voice so distinctively and so aptly for the circumstances of each story and each character that you almost forget they are all written by the same person. And that's what Anita Desai did in Diamond Dust. I can just imagine her carefully mixing and choosing words in her palette and painting with such purpose and technique that when you look closer at the finished work you can observe the ...more
Meera
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Diamond Dust an anthology by Anita Desai. The book is a collection of nine short stories. I always like to read short stories and having read many of them; good and some forgettable.

This novella was just alright. Stories highlight people, friendships, family ties, and one story about dog; (beautiful and sad). Some stories did not have a strong plot. However the writing and descriptions are commendable. I particularly liked four stories – 1) Winterscope 2) Rooftop Dwellers 3) Diamond Dust. 4) Th
Rahat
Aug 25, 2007 rated it liked it
Hit or miss.

On the whole, Anita Desai is an impressive writer. But I believe her short stories lacked cohesion; some stories just seemed pointless. Admittedly, each story was unique, but they lacked consistency.

However, the last one, The Rooftop Dwellers, was delightful and memorable. This story, I believe, saved the entire short story collection.
Lynda Alsford
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the stories and I like her use of language. I found it easy to imagine the places she described and got into the story and characters quickly. But as always with short stories I am often so sorry it isn't a longer story. It ends too soon. We read this for my book group and its encouraged me to maybe try one of her novels.
Randa
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Snapshots from the lives of ordinary people in Britain, Canada, India, and Mexico among others. These stories have rich descriptions but they do not really contain a plot in the traditional sense. They are best viewed as short vignettes in the lives of the people. There is a little shadow of sadness in all of them. My favourite was Rooftop Dwellers, the last story in the collection.
Kristian
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this collection of short stories. I picked up this book randomly out of my boyfriend's collection and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. There were a lot of special moments in the stories. My favorite is the last story, about the single woman in Delhi.
Manish
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of short stories from the inimitable Anita Desai. The best ones were probably the one recreating the buzz on a Himalayan highway caused by a stubborn driver refusing to move forward and the one detailing the travails of a single working woman living in a barsati in Delhi.
Mandy
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
I enjoyed this book on the whole, but felt that the book was written to descibe or explain India to those who don't know it, and I was a bit fed up of the way things happen in India in the end. I wanted a tale about someone where India wasn't a part of the story.
Kavfrou
Sep 01, 2007 rated it liked it
is actually a dog known as the beast.

anita desai writes beautifully and even though i don't really like short stories, hers are compelling and intriguing.

I especially like the rooftop dwellers.
Elaine
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
I'm not a short story fan, but I'm very impressed with the stories in this book. Very well written, clear characterisation, and good storylines, but just too short.
It was an enjoyable and worthwhile read.
Kate Schindler
Sep 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: asia
These were interesting. Not all about Indian families, it turned out. She's a great writer, and I loved the pictures she painted, but I was a little annoyed because I like my stories to have endings and hers mostly didn't. I just prefer closure to possibilities in my fiction.
Yahana
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
An ivory tower literati product that selectively perpetuates a dark, dreary image of India that is popular with some foreigners and the pseudo elite of India. Shades of Dilli Durbar.

I found little beauty in this book, only sorrow.
Nora
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it
A quiet but deeply satisfying collection of short fictions detailing events that lead characters to irrevocably cross the invisible line separating their pasts from new experiences, new insights, and new existences.
Barbara
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
A delightful book of short stories. Some very good descriptions throughout and many characters you wanted to get to know more about.

This may be the first Anita Desai book I've read but I doubt it will be my last.
Peter Atkinson
Dec 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Too much Dust, not enough Diamonds...
Brooks
Aug 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Incredibly dull short stories - couldn't finish.
A. Moses Levitt
Nov 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
ga mau ngomong dulu...lgi seru.
Gemma Williams
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
A very lovely book of short stories from Anita Desai. Occasionally funny, often melancholy and always perceptive.
Kate
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite collections of short stories! Some of the word-images still come to mind even now. Beautifully written.
SanjeeB
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant!! It's amazing the way she manipulates the English language to create vivid images and emotions!
Rafaela
Kiran Desai's mother. Life in India.
Kate
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderful selection of thought provoking stories. I particularly enjoyed Winterscape and the "Man who saw himself drown". I am sure it is a collection I will return to again and again.
WF Boey
Yogita
rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2015
Pinkee
rated it did not like it
Jan 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Small Change
  • The Bad Mother
  • Memory Board
  • Dead Girls
  • Lover of Unreason: Assia Wevill, Sylvia Plath's Rival and Ted Hughes' Doomed Love
  • At a Loss For Words: a Post-Romantic Novel
  • Across the Bridge: Stories
  • The World of Nagaraj
  • The Birthday Present
  • Nadia's Song
Anita Desai was born in 1937. Her published works include adult novels, children's books and short stories. She is a member of the Advisory Board for English of the National Academy of Letters in Delhi and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature in London. Anita Mazumdar Desai is an Indian novelist and Emeritus John E. Burchard Professor of Humanities at the Massachusetts Institute of Technolo ...more
More about Anita Desai...