Start by marking “The Dead Queens Club” as Want to Read:
The Dead Queens Club

The Dead Queens Club

Mean Girls meets The Tudors in Hannah Capin’s The Dead Queens Club, a clever contemporary YA retelling of Henry VIII and his wives (or, in this case, his high school girlfriends). Told from the perspective of Annie Marck (“Cleves”), a 17-year-old aspiring journalist from Cleveland who meets Henry at summer camp, The Dead Queens Club is a fun, snarky read that provides great historical detail ...more
Published January 29th 2019 by Inkyard Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Queens Club, please sign up.
Mayela I really liked it! If you're a fan of King Henry VIII's six wives and of Tudor history, it's a very fun retelling with girl power twists. I wouldn't…moreI really liked it! If you're a fan of King Henry VIII's six wives and of Tudor history, it's a very fun retelling with girl power twists. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like the period, if you're unfamiliar with it (because there are many references and jokes that wouldn't be funny if you don't know what they're talking about in history) or if you don't like zany main characters. (less)

Chaima ✨ شيماء
When I say “I don’t like drama”, what I really mean is “I don’t want to be involved in any drama of my own.” Reading a contemporary reclaiming of the story of Henry VIII and his wives (in this case, his high school girlfriends), on the other hand, seemed firmly inside my circles of interests...

I just wish The Dead Queens Club lived up to the self-indulgent version of it that I wrote in my head before it began to disappoint me.

My first complaint about this book is how the plot
Emily May
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Emily May by: Kirkus
I really did my best to like this but it was just not my thing.

Starred reviews from Kirkus usually prompt me to take a second look at books I was about to pass by. Then when I read that this one was a high school comedy retelling of history - specifically that of Henry VIII and his six wives - I thought it sounded like a lot of fun. But I struggled just to make it through.

The book is narrated by Annie of Cleveland, or "Cleves". She befriends Henry at Overachievers Camp, dates him for 15 d
Jessica
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book for free from the publisher (Inkyard Press) in exchange for an honest review.

Initially, I was super excited to read this book. The Tudors meets Mean Girls? Yes please! However, this book ended up being pretty messy.

My main issue is that the book is way too long. The book is about 450 pages and could have easily been just over 300. The whole first half is is slow and confusing. The book starts off at girlfriend number 5 and then kind of goes back and forth into th
Kat
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-2
Hilarious and quirky. Hannah Capin has a fun, snarky writing voice and this play off Henry the 8th and his wives gets fresh life in the form of Henry, high school guy, and his drama with all his girlfriends. Told from the perspective of “Cleves” or Annie, the fourth girlfriend, current BFF of Henry and ex, when she discovers two of his other exes have suffered mysterious demises, she and the rest of the girlfriend gang band together to figure out what’s going on. Awesome girl power. Great themes ...more
Vicky Who Reads
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist, favorites
5 stars

I unfortunately do not get to say 5 stars a lot, but I am SO EXCITED to say that I AM USING IT TODAY LOOK AT IT. What does this mean? The Dead Queens Club was freaking amazing, that's what it means!!!

Severly underhyped but severly deserving of hype, please add it to goodreads RIGHT NOW before you even continue reading. Even if it's on a shelf that's called "wtf-is-this-premise-rofl."

Did you do it? Great. High five for you.

But seriously, this book is amazing and it was LITERAL DEATH holding back from just marathoning the whole thing. (I ended up marathoning everythiyou.

But"wtf-is-this-premise-rofl."

Didmeans!!!

Severlystars
I
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
This review originally appeared on Novel Ink.

Okay, I’m gonna be up front with y’all: my experience reading The Dead Queens Club was, hands-down, one of the STRANGEST reading experiences I’ve ever had. I literally can’t make up my mind as to whether I actively hated this book, or whether I’m just apathetic toward it.

Let me preface my
Carrie
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Dead Queens Club by Hannah Capin is a young adult contemporary story that is a retelling of Henry VIII and his wives. In this case however the “wives” are all high school girlfriends of Henry, the charming homecoming king.

The story is told from the point of view of Annie Marck or “Cleves” as Henry likes to call her who is the high school equivalent of Anne of Cleves, Henry’s 4th wife. Cleves in this story met Henry at camp and became really good friends with Henry often getting t
Mary S. R.
A clever contemporary YA retelling of Henry VIII and his wives (or, in this case, his high school girlfriends).

😳😳 WHAT THE—
No srsly: What. Is. Happening. WHAT. I don't think I can process this; has anything ever sounded more absurd and totally weird and yet intriguing at the same time?? What's happening to the world?! 😳

What do a future ambassador, an overly ambitious Francophile, a hospital-volunteering Girl Scout, the new girl from Cleveland, the junior cheer captain, and the vice president of the/>What
laurel [suspected bibliophile]

Divorced, beheaded, died. Divorced, beheaded, survived.

Annie Marck aka Cleveland aka Cleves is certain of one thing—Henry is her best friend and she's his right hand man. No matter what girl he's dating. And he's dated quite a few.

But strange things keep happening to Henry's girlfriends, and Cleves might be at the center of it all...
~
Okay, so lemme tell you what I loved.

I absolutely adored the Henry VIII parallel into modern day high school.
Katie Gallagher
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Click here to read this review and others on my blog!
Thank you to NetGalley and Inkyard Press for sending me a free advanced reader copy of this book for an honest review.

As soon as I read Vicky’s review of this book, I knew it needed to be placed front row center on my TBR. I’m no Tudors historian, but I love me some Henry VIII, from Showtime’s The Tudors to Margaret George’s tome The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers.

The premise is simple: Henry VIII drama transported to a moder/>Thank
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I had such a good time with this! It’s a funny, satisfying send-up of patriarchy/slut shaming/the bullshit that has allowed yet more men into the highest offices of the United States despite credible evidence that they’re gross predators, all for the disregard of women.

I’m not that big on Tudor history and probably missed a bunch of the Easter eggs but I really enjoyed the meta-ness. Prom king and aspiring politician Henry’s survivors aim to rewrite the narrative around their dead fr
Jessica Bibi
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I fucking LOVE this book. I feel like I've taken an andrenaline shot of supreme female empowerment, have taken down the pariachy & laughed my ass off while doing it.

Our narrator--Cleeves--is whip-smart funny, always speaks her mind, is an anti-slutshaming rant queen and I absolutely adore her. Teenage-me would have KILLED for this book.

Read it, or perish.

(my liveread, if that's your jam: https://twitter.com/JessicaBCooper/st...)
Olivia (heyoliviareads)
This book was a party that I was way too excited to go to, and then once I got there it wasn't as great as I'd hoped, but, I still had fun?

As someone who was far too obsessed with all things Tudor back in high school, all you have to say to me is "King Henry and all his wives, but set it in high school" and I'm sold. The story follows Anne, aka Cleves, the new girl at Lancaster High, and her best friend, Henry, football star and notorious serial dater. Even with minimal knowledge of
Lia
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
this book was wild y'all. I was constantly switching between thinking he was guilty or he was innocent I COULD NOT FIGURE IT OUT
also, so much drama. So much.
Megan

the speed at which i just added this book to my 'favourites' shelf literally just broke the sound barrier

Okay, so I know there's a lot of mixed reviews about this book, and a lot of people disappointed by how it didn't fit their expectations, but you know what? I actually really loved this one.

I loved the characters (Parker Rochford is the absolute best, and everybody else can just go home), I loved the feminism, and I loved the humour (I know others didn't, but Cleves' humour is my/>the
Sonia Hartl
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where do I begin with my love for this book? Everything about it speaks to my heart, Cleves is probably one of my favorite characters of all time, smart, hilarious, saracastic with flaws and vulnerabilities that make her so incredibly relatable. The queens absolutely draw from their historical counterparts and they all gave me a new appreciation for their lives and an extreme amount of anger for the way history has condemned them in ways they never deserved. These girls are amazing. I want to be ...more
Meaghan
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
First off I would like to thank the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for giving me the chance to read and review this ARC. While the copy was provided for free, all opinions are honest and my own.

The Dead Queens Club is a modern high school retelling of Henry VIII and his wives. It’s got drama, romance, and strong female friendships, narrated by Annie “Cleves” Marck, Henry’s fourth girlfriend. She’s the only one that’s managed to survive dating Henry so far, and she’s starting to wonder w/>The
Katie
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was determined to break up my seriously depressing nonfiction reading with something completely ridiculous and fun. The Dead Queens Club was the perfect choice.

I’ve been a Tudor addict for over 20 years now, but you don’t have to be to read this. Capin’s re-imagining of Henry VIII and his six wives as a fictional high school drama honestly does not feel like too much of a stretch. Many of her characterizations and asides felt completely accurate--of course Katherine of Aragon would be an all
Amber
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Listen. I was dedicated. The events of the dust jacket take half the book to come to fruition. Obviously, at that point I was too far in. That was helped by impulsively readable this book turned out to be. Unfortunately, it was not as realistic as I was hoping.

I'm interested in works by this author in the future; however, this one missed the mark for me.
Max Baker
Thank You Netgalley for providing a free review copy in exchange for an honest review

What an interesting book. And I mean that in the highest possible regards. The Dead Queens Club is an interesting book because it manages to be so many things at once. It's a psychological thriller. It's a murder mystery. It's a comedy. It's a black comedy. It's a melodrama. It's so many things wrapped up in one "keep you on the edge of your seats, smiling all the way" flavored package.

And I adored it
Sierra Elmore
The Dead Queens Club is centered around the (sorta) fictional Lancaster High, where quarterback Henry is on his sixth girlfriend. Two of whom are kinda dead. In their honor, Cleves, the narrator, starts THE DEAD QUEENS CLUB, an underground Tumblr about Lancaster’s favorite former queens. Cleves and the former queens of Lancaster High have to team up to save Cat Parr, Queen #6 and Henry’s latest target.

The plot is strong, but what completely sucked me into the book was the CHARACTERS. The
Carol
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I want to say, 'for lovers of Riverdale and Mean Girls,' but let's face it, Henry VIII's court was Riverdale IRL. Wild, unsubstantiated gossip that, quite literally, ended lives. After reading this I'm mad I didn't think to adapt the events of Henry's reign into a teen book, because this is a badass read.

Full disclosure: I have a slight obsession with the lives of Henry VIII's wives and his court, however this is not my fault, a wonderful friend started me down this path. :) That being said the
Emily
Jul 08, 2019 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily by: Sarah
Abandoned around 31%, mostly through inertia (my Kindle library loan expired and I never bothered to download the book again when my second hold came through). I really, really liked the voice in this book - I immediately went to the author's page to see what else she had written - but I found the Tudor plotline overlaid on contemporary high school to be too convoluted and fantastical. The timeline is hard to grasp, there's a lot going on, and it's difficult to center yourself in the story.

On o
Jypsy
Feb 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
The Dead Queens Club is truly unique. Henry VIII goes to high school. Still tyrannical and crazy with the added bonus of being a teenager. Girls, run!! Seriously, though, this is a high school fiction story based on Henry VIII and his six wives. Just to recap them: Katherine, exiled and died; Anne Boleyn, beheaded; Jane Seymour, died in childbirth; Anne of Cleves, annulled and actually came out quite nicely; Katherine Howard, beheaded; Kathryn Parr, outlived him. These were not happy women. Now, ...more
DJ
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Copy provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Dead Queens Club was on my list for most anticipated book for 2019. However, this was really kind of a mess. The plot was SO hard to follow. I had to keep re-reading to figure out what was going on. I really struggled to finish this book, which rarely happens to me. It was just almost impossible to figure out what was happening and to whom. If you can make it to the ending, then you'll appreciate
Rebecca
So there were pacing issues and the story was longer than necessary (could have definitely been slimmed down like a hundred pages), I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Amanda Van Parys
Sometimes--rarely--witty dialogue and internal monologue could potentially be enough to save a novel with a plot so thin you can see through it... but this was not one of them. Which is sad because the book really was witty and engaging but, for me, that just wasn't enough for this one.
Kayla Brunson
Dec 17, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc
DNF at 65 pages.
This made me feel scatterbrained while reading. The main character Anna aka Cleves is all over the place. In her inner monologue down to how she interacts with Henry.

Even with me only reading 65 pages, this was problematic and a hot mess. Henry would rather listen to a rumor about his girlfriend and let the guys decide that she’s only “hookup material” instead of “girlfriend material”. I really don’t have time to read about a douche like this. Also (view spoiler) ...more
Brittany Lamb
** 4.5 stars

Note: Thank you to NetGalley and Inkyard Press for sending me a free advanced reading copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

I actually really liked this. I got a little nervous when I checked out the reviews before I started reading and realized that this is a modern retelling of Henry VIII and his six wives. I had no idea what to expect but I honestly liked it almost immediately.

I have a few quips that I'm just going to go ahead and get out of the way so that I can gush about
Mireille Chartier
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Ainsi sera”

I was so fraking excited about this book when I first learned about it. I am a HUGE Tudor enthusiast, like crazy. I’ve read biographies about them (a lot of Elizabeth I ones because I find her really badass) and watched the movies/TV shows, I love this drama infused bunch. So I was ecstatic when we received the ARC for The Dead Queens Club by Hannah Capin. And Holy Hole in a Doughnut! It was fantastic.

Imagine the Tudors meets Mean Girls with a touch of Gossip

• Sorry For Your Loss
  • Ordinary Girls
  • The Love & Lies of Rukhsana Ali
  • A Dress for the Wicked
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • She's the Worst
  • A Place For Wolves
Hannah Capin lives in Tidewater Virginia. She holds degrees from the Indiana University School of Music and Columbia University. When she isn't working on her next book, you'll find her sailing, singing, or scheming with her friends. She is the author of THE DEAD QUEENS CLUB and FOUL IS FAIR (2020). ...more