Start by marking “The Dead Queens Club” as Want to Read:
The Dead Queens Club

The Dead Queens Club

Mean Girls meets The Tudors in Hannah Capin’s The Dead Queens Club, a clever contemporary YA retelling of Henry VIII and his wives (or, in this case, his high school girlfriends). Told from the perspective of Annie Marck (“Cleves”), a 17-year-old aspiring journalist from Cleveland who meets Henry at summer camp, The Dead Queens Club is a fun, snarky read that provides grea ...more
Published January 29th 2019 by Inkyard Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Queens Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Queens Club

Emily May
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Emily May by: Kirkus
I really did my best to like this but it was just not my thing.

Starred reviews from Kirkus usually prompt me to take a second look at books I was about to pass by. Then when I read that this one was a high school comedy retelling of history - specifically that of Henry VIII and his six wives - I thought it sounded like a lot of fun. But I struggled just to make it through.

The book is narrated by Annie of Cleveland, or "Cleves". She befriends Henry at Overachievers Camp, dates him for 15 days, an
شيماء ✨
When I say “I don’t like drama”, what I really mean is “I don’t want to be involved in any drama of my own.” Reading a contemporary reclaiming of the story of Henry VIII and his wives (in this case, his high school girlfriends), on the other hand, seemed firmly inside my circles of interests...

I just wish The Dead Queens Club lived up to the self-indulgent version of it that I wrote in my head before it began to disappoint me.

My first complaint about this book is how the plot takes so long befor
☙ percy ❧
Sep 04, 2017 marked it as tbr-other
i mean like, as a weird quirky historian i am totally on board with this weird new quirky trend of historical figures in present day, but why are they only about The Ultimate Fuckboi Henry VIII???

where are my faves?? marie antoinette?? (and the TRUE marie antoinette, not the ''let them eat cake'' caricature) henry vii??? ELAGABALUS?? damn, elagabalus would KILL IT in the modern world i s2g

tl;dr love this trend and i'm probs going to read this but can authors write about my faves now;)
Vani
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
"Normal high schools don't actually operate like the Reign of Terror."

I just changed this from four to five stars and then back again like idk seven times. Because the ending, the last hundred pages or so, is a 25 star worthy read. But the first three hundred had some issues for me. I am landing on like 4.49 stars. Which is great. And this is incredible in so many ways.

The premise is amazing and drew me in immediately. Give me ANY historical retelling set in modern day with girls saying fuck a
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
This review originally appeared on Novel Ink.

Okay, I’m gonna be up front with y’all: my experience reading The Dead Queens Club was, hands-down, one of the STRANGEST reading experiences I’ve ever had. I literally can’t make up my mind as to whether I actively hated this book, or whether I’m just apathetic toward it.

Let me preface my review with the fact that I w
Carrie
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Dead Queens Club by Hannah Capin is a young adult contemporary story that is a retelling of Henry VIII and his wives. In this case however the “wives” are all high school girlfriends of Henry, the charming homecoming king.

The story is told from the point of view of Annie Marck or “Cleves” as Henry likes to call her who is the high school equivalent of Anne of Cleves, Henry’s 4th wife. Cleves in this story met Henry at camp and became really good friends with Henry often getting talked into h
Vicky Who Reads
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist, favorites
5 stars

I unfortunately do not get to say 5 stars a lot, but I am SO EXCITED to say that I AM USING IT TODAY LOOK AT IT. What does this mean? The Dead Queens Club was freaking amazing, that's what it means!!!

Severly underhyped but severly deserving of hype, please add it to goodreads RIGHT NOW before you even continue reading. Even if it's on a shelf that's called "wtf-is-this-premise-rofl."

Did you do it? Great. High five for you.

But seriously, this book is amazing and it was LITERAL DEATH holdin

Mary S. R.
Jan 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
A clever contemporary YA retelling of Henry VIII and his wives (or, in this case, his high school girlfriends).

😳😳 WHAT THE—
No srsly: What. Is. Happening. WHAT. I don't think I can process this; has anything ever sounded more absurd and totally weird and yet intriguing at the same time?? What's happening to the world?! 😳

What do a future ambassador, an overly ambitious Francophile, a hospital-volunteering Girl Scout, the new girl from Cleveland, the junior cheer captain, and the vice president of
laurel [suspected bibliophile]

Divorced, beheaded, died. Divorced, beheaded, survived.

Annie Marck aka Cleveland aka Cleves is certain of one thing—Henry is her best friend and she's his right hand man. No matter what girl he's dating. And he's dated quite a few.

But strange things keep happening to Henry's girlfriends, and Cleves might be at the center of it all...
~
Okay, so lemme tell you what I loved.

I absolutely adored the Henry VIII parallel into modern day high school.

It works so damn well.

Granted, there are a cou
Katie Gallagher
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Click here to read this review and others on my blog!
Thank you to NetGalley and Inkyard Press for sending me a free advanced reader copy of this book for an honest review.

As soon as I read Vicky’s review of this book, I knew it needed to be placed front row center on my TBR. I’m no Tudors historian, but I love me some Henry VIII, from Showtime’s The Tudors to Margaret George’s tome The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers.

The premise is simple: Henry VIII drama transp
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I had such a good time with this! It’s a funny, satisfying send-up of patriarchy/slut shaming/the bullshit that has allowed yet more men into the highest offices of the United States despite credible evidence that they’re gross predators, all for the disregard of women.

I’m not that big on Tudor history and probably missed a bunch of the Easter eggs but I really enjoyed the meta-ness. Prom king and aspiring politician Henry’s survivors aim to rewrite the narrative around their dead friends, now n
Jessica Bibi
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I fucking LOVE this book. I feel like I've taken an andrenaline shot of supreme female empowerment, have taken down the pariachy & laughed my ass off while doing it.

Our narrator--Cleeves--is whip-smart funny, always speaks her mind, is an anti-slutshaming rant queen and I absolutely adore her. Teenage-me would have KILLED for this book.

Read it, or perish.

(my liveread, if that's your jam: https://twitter.com/JessicaBCooper/st...)
Olivia (heyoliviareads)
This book was a party that I was way too excited to go to, and then once I got there it wasn't as great as I'd hoped, but, I still had fun?

As someone who was far too obsessed with all things Tudor back in high school, all you have to say to me is "King Henry and all his wives, but set it in high school" and I'm sold. The story follows Anne, aka Cleves, the new girl at Lancaster High, and her best friend, Henry, football star and notorious serial dater. Even with minimal knowledge of King Henry V
Megan

the speed at which i just added this book to my 'favourites' shelf literally just broke the sound barrier

Okay, so I know there's a lot of mixed reviews about this book, and a lot of people disappointed by how it didn't fit their expectations, but you know what? I actually really loved this one.

I loved the characters (Parker Rochford is the absolute best, and everybody else can just go home), I loved the feminism, and I loved the humour (I know others didn't, but Cleves' humour is my kind of
Sonia Hartl
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where do I begin with my love for this book? Everything about it speaks to my heart, Cleves is probably one of my favorite characters of all time, smart, hilarious, saracastic with flaws and vulnerabilities that make her so incredibly relatable. The queens absolutely draw from their historical counterparts and they all gave me a new appreciation for their lives and an extreme amount of anger for the way history has condemned them in ways they never deserved. These girls are amazing. I want to be ...more
Meaghan
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
First off I would like to thank the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for giving me the chance to read and review this ARC. While the copy was provided for free, all opinions are honest and my own.

The Dead Queens Club is a modern high school retelling of Henry VIII and his wives. It’s got drama, romance, and strong female friendships, narrated by Annie “Cleves” Marck, Henry’s fourth girlfriend. She’s the only one that’s managed to survive dating Henry so far, and she’s starting to wonder why…
Sierra Elmore
The Dead Queens Club is centered around the (sorta) fictional Lancaster High, where quarterback Henry is on his sixth girlfriend. Two of whom are kinda dead. In their honor, Cleves, the narrator, starts THE DEAD QUEENS CLUB, an underground Tumblr about Lancaster’s favorite former queens. Cleves and the former queens of Lancaster High have to team up to save Cat Parr, Queen #6 and Henry’s latest target.

The plot is strong, but what completely sucked me into the book was the CHARACTERS. They were s
Amber
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Listen. I was dedicated. The events of the dust jacket take half the book to come to fruition. Obviously, at that point I was too far in. That was helped by impulsively readable this book turned out to be. Unfortunately, it was not as realistic as I was hoping.

I'm interested in works by this author in the future; however, this one missed the mark for me.
Katie
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was determined to break up my seriously depressing nonfiction reading with something completely ridiculous and fun. The Dead Queens Club was the perfect choice.

I’ve been a Tudor addict for over 20 years now, but you don’t have to be to read this. Capin’s re-imagining of Henry VIII and his six wives as a fictional high school drama honestly does not feel like too much of a stretch. Many of her characterizations and asides felt completely accurate--of course Katherine of Aragon would be an all-s
Max Baker
Thank You Netgalley for providing a free review copy in exchange for an honest review

What an interesting book. And I mean that in the highest possible regards. The Dead Queens Club is an interesting book because it manages to be so many things at once. It's a psychological thriller. It's a murder mystery. It's a comedy. It's a black comedy. It's a melodrama. It's so many things wrapped up in one "keep you on the edge of your seats, smiling all the way" flavored package.

And I adored it.

The Dead Q
Jypsy
Feb 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
The Dead Queens Club is truly unique. Henry VIII goes to high school. Still tyrannical and crazy with the added bonus of being a teenager. Girls, run!! Seriously, though, this is a high school fiction story based on Henry VIII and his six wives. Just to recap them: Katherine, exiled and died; Anne Boleyn, beheaded; Jane Seymour, died in childbirth; Anne of Cleves, annulled and actually came out quite nicely; Katherine Howard, beheaded; Kathryn Parr, outlived him. These were not happy women. Now, ...more
DJ
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Copy provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Dead Queens Club was on my list for most anticipated book for 2019. However, this was really kind of a mess. The plot was SO hard to follow. I had to keep re-reading to figure out what was going on. I really struggled to finish this book, which rarely happens to me. It was just almost impossible to figure out what was happening and to whom. If you can make it to the ending, then you'll appreciate it. The humor was
Rebecca
So there were pacing issues and the story was longer than necessary (could have definitely been slimmed down like a hundred pages), I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Amanda Van Parys
Sometimes--rarely--witty dialogue and internal monologue could potentially be enough to save a novel with a plot so thin you can see through it... but this was not one of them. Which is sad because the book really was witty and engaging but, for me, that just wasn't enough for this one.
Kayla Brunson
Dec 17, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: disappointment, arc
DNF at 65 pages.
This made me feel scatterbrained while reading. The main character Anna aka Cleves is all over the place. In her inner monologue down to how she interacts with Henry.

Even with me only reading 65 pages, this was problematic and a hot mess. Henry would rather listen to a rumor about his girlfriend and let the guys decide that she’s only “hookup material” instead of “girlfriend material”. I really don’t have time to read about a douche like this. Also (view spoiler)
Rachel
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book had its fun moments, for sure, not to mention a great premise (especially since I looooove Tudor history), but the execution just didn't work out. Mostly, it could have done with another round or two of editing. The timeline was extremely messy, and it had no business being nearly 500 pages long.

Oh well.
Brittany Lamb
** 4.5 stars

Note: Thank you to NetGalley and Inkyard Press for sending me a free advanced reading copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

I actually really liked this. I got a little nervous when I checked out the reviews before I started reading and realized that this is a modern retelling of Henry VIII and his six wives. I had no idea what to expect but I honestly liked it almost immediately.

I have a few quips that I'm just going to go ahead and get out of the way so that I can gush ab
Mireille Chartier
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Ainsi sera”

I was so fraking excited about this book when I first learned about it. I am a HUGE Tudor enthusiast, like crazy. I’ve read biographies about them (a lot of Elizabeth I ones because I find her really badass) and watched the movies/TV shows, I love this drama infused bunch. So I was ecstatic when we received the ARC for The Dead Queens Club by Hannah Capin. And Holy Hole in a Doughnut! It was fantastic.

Imagine the Tudors meets Mean Girls with a touch of Gossip Girl and that is exactly
Beth
So, this was completely awesome. The tale of the Tudors - Henry VIII and his six unfortunate wives - set in a modern American high school, dripping with sarcasm and wit, darkly fun and enjoyable reading. I could not put this one down, and I literally LOL'ed so many times that I was getting weird looks from people around me.

Would someone not familiar with the Tudors enjoy this book as much? Maybe not, although I think it's funny and action-packed enough to stand on its own. Is the good guy/bad g
Dara
Feb 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. The premise is so intriguing. Henry VIII and his six wives but in modern day high school? Yes please. What a cool idea. Unfortunately that's really the only good part about this book.

The story is told in first person from Cleves's perspective. She's the new girl in town and best friends with the quarterback/sportsball star/king of Lancaster High, Henry (his football number is 8. VIII. Geddit?). Cleves is not a great character. Her flaws feel less like character

• Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • Sorry For Your Loss
  • Ordinary Girls
  • The Love & Lies of Rukhsana Ali
  • A Dress for the Wicked
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • She's the Worst
  • A Place For Wolves
Hannah Capin lives in Tidewater Virginia. She holds degrees from the Indiana University School of Music and Columbia University. When she isn't writing, you'll find her sailing, singing, or pulling marathon gossip sessions with her girl squad. ...more