Start by marking “Play On (Play On, #1)” as Want to Read:
Play On (Play On, #1)

Play On

(Play On #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  5,639 ratings  ·  548 reviews
Nora O’Brien chased a dream from Indiana to Scotland, so sure it was the right thing to do. Three years later she was left in her adopted country with nothing to her name but guilt and regret.

Until Aidan Lennox entered her life.

Older, worldlier, a music producer and composer, the sexy Scot should never have made sense for Nora. But somehow, in each other, they found the
Published September 12th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Play On, please sign up.
Kris Partly. It is story but part of serie. If this will be as the others from Sam, the other book will be about someone else but these characters will be…morePartly. It is story but part of serie. If this will be as the others from Sam, the other book will be about someone else but these characters will be mentioned or will show up there. (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Play On (Play On, #1)
Melanie
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
ARC provided to me by author Samantha Young in exchange for an honest review.

This summer has been the summer of me just wanting to read romance. So, I may or may not have went on a binge request streak last month, just requesting ARCs from romance authors that many of my friends praise that had new and upcoming releases. Play On is a new adult contemporary romance that follows a girl, who moves across the world, to make a better life for herself. Of course, things do not go as planned, and the
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
<3 4.5 stars <3

When it comes to Samantha Young I don't have to read the synopsis because I simply love whatever she writes, so you can imagine how excited I was for this new series.I devoured Play On, I was hooked and mesmerized.I love Samantha's ability to make me feel like I'm a part of her story and this is exactly what happened with this one!

description

Play On was heartbreaking,intense and sweet.Samantha Young takes the reader in an emotional roller coaster, there were moments I wanted to cry.I
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
4.5 's

Can I just say that there hasn't been a book of Samantha Young's that I've read, that I haven't loved...and this book is no exception. My one issue was the beginning and I know that's hard for some people to get past but I hope you do.

There are three parts in this story and the first begins with us getting to know Nora. We find out that she's stuck in her little town, unable to go to college because of lack of funds and having to help take care of her diabetic father. That wasn't always
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰
FULL REVIEW BELOW - might contain a few tiny little spoilers - not real spoilers, but if you're very anti-spoiler, you might not want to read it
(but you can read the next two lines!!)

I LOVED Play On!!!
Such a beautiful story! This book has alll the feels!!!

AND NOW THE FULL REVIEW:

description

Nora is 18 when she leaves her little hometown in the United States to come to Scotland with 21 year old Jim.
But what she thought was her first real love, ended up with them being just friends. She just didn't love him
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Author: Samantha Young
Release date: September 12, 2017
Cliffhanger: No
HEA(view spoiler)

This was a tough one for me to rate because this had a considerable amount of angst in it, and it successfully left me teary eyed more than once. However, there were several things that didn't quite work for me so I decided on a mid-level rating. Play On certainly had a lot of things going for it. I'm sure that many fans of second chance romance will be swept
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Samantha Young never ceases to amaze me with her novels. It always keep me on my toes, invested with the drama and brought all the emotions out of me. Play On is about Nora O'Brien and Aidan Lennox. Here, we get to see their journey of love, grief, forgiveness and self-discovery.

Nora has always been a dreamer. She's a bright, smart and talented lady. An aspiring actress. After her work, she volunteers in a children's hospital as a storyteller. At an early age, she experienced spices of life
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story is told in three parts. I didn't think much of part one and actually felt sorry for Jim, her husband. Part two was slow and I suppose this is the part where we're supposed to feel Aidan and Nora fall in love but I didn't feel it, there wasn't much chemistry. Aidan at 34 is 12 years older than Nora but you couldn't tell as he acted like a guy in his 20's.

The end of part 2 had me laughing as it read like a plot from a Mills & Boon romance with the jealous other woman meddling plus it
Cristina
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was something else. I love all the books which have Scotland a part of them. I visited Scotland last year and a piece of my heart is still there. So this book brought back a lot of memories. And I’m grateful for it.

The characters had a chemistry hard to miss and too strong for it not to blow at some point. I loved Nora and Jim... but Nora and Aidan... were so much more. I wanted to read more about that hate Aidan felt for Nora. I always crave for the mean personality of a person,
Ramona
Sam Young is easily one of my top authors because when I discovered her "Dublin Series" I crushed hard and became a die hard fan. This addiction continued with all of her books and here I am, reading another thrilling adventure and of course, love story, because duuuuuh, she rocks at it.

"Play On" I believe is her most mature and complex book, looking behind at her previous work. Don't get me wrong, all of her books have complex characters and plot, but I could feel a lot of maturity in this one
Karen Mc
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Here I sit with my head still stuck in the clouds, stuck in a story that stole me away to another world. I'm still floating on Cloud Nine. Tears are still etched in my eyes, a soulful mix of swoon and sorrow. The feels won't stop flowing. My soul is still stripped bare from this book. My heart still beats for a book that lifted me up from my everyday life and thrust me to another life across the pond...another world in Scotland. I'm still basking in the beauty of a book that held my heart
Dilek VT
I hate it when writers focus on one couple for the most part of the book, then write the HEA for another couple at the end.

I don't need that much focus on a hero that the heroine will not end up with...
Steffi De Ceuster  ♥
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: page-turner, owned
This book will be forever special to me!
I know it took a while to finish it, but it was a rough and hard road for me.
I started reading it and the next day my mom passed away, so this will be forever a
special book to me. Because it was here for me when I was already sad, but it stuck with me even though I couldn't get back to reading. It's still very hard and that's why it took so long, it would've been longer if I didn't push through..

The cover is so beautiful, but it was the author and the
book_luv_r
Did not feel like Samantha Young wrote this book. Hate to say but I really struggled reading it. One of my biggest pet peeves is starting a story with one couple, but they are not the couple at the end. Why do this? I don't want to invest the time reading about them. Ever.
Quinn's Quippy Quotes
"At least you're jealous of the living, Nora." He said. "I'm fucking jealous of a dead man."

2017 is the year for Samantha Young! This woman is on fire with the level of books that she has been putting out. She blew me away at her first attempt at YA with The Impossible Vastness of Us, and I'm falling hard for the residents of Hartwell with the Hart's Boardwalk series. It should be no surprise that she stunned me once again with Play On, but I am, because this is not my typical read.

I am an
☾☆ Nikki. ✿
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was debating if I should give this story four or five stars..
I enjoyed this book alot but there were a few bits in this book which I didn't enjoy.

The characters were fab, I loved them all. I really liked the writing style and I've read a few books by this author, I really enjoy her books.

The beginning of this book was great, I wasn't too fond of what happened to jim though.

The romance between Nora and Aidan was perfect, loved that this story had a timeline. Very cute! Loved them together.

Bindi Boo
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

That bit in the middle was a 5 star read. I loved Nora, Adrian and Sylvie.
That bit at the beginning and the end, not so much.
I liked the plot, but could have done without the depth of her first relationship. The ending, the way she kept pushing him away although the secret was out, was a tad too annoying i skimmed right through.
Overall a great plot, however i felt there was too many bad things happening to the heroine, talk about shit luck eh?!
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
Play On, at heart, is a story of the series of fateful events that bring a lonely young woman right where she was always meant to be. Far more than a love story, Play On is Nora's journey toward finding herself, to understanding her worth. While this story is certainly rife with romance and drama and sensuality, it's bigger than just her search for a happily ever after. Nora's life is complicated and messy and peppered with heartache and loss. Her path, all that inevitably brings her exactly ...more
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
Originally posted at Booklovers For Life

3.5 STARS

I’ve been a big fan of Samantha Young’s ever since reading On Dublin Street, so when I heard she’d be writing a new book, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. Play On is a deeply emotional standalone that deals with love, life, and loss. It wasn’t quite the read I was expecting, but I enjoyed it overall. I love getting to travel the world through books, and Samantha Young sweeps us away to beautiful Scotland where our heroine Nora deals with her
Shayna
I discovered Samantha Young’s writing not too long ago and I have yet to make it through all of her work, but what I have read, well, it’s a cut above the rest I assure you. She brings us beautiful and complex romances that are truly unforgettable. The characters that she brings to life with her words are extraordinary and completely remarkable. Ms. Young’s writing is impeccable, fierce, and smart. Her love stories are a thing of beauty that stay with you long after the last page has turned. All ...more
Lyndy Ann ♫
My feelings for Play On are all over the place, don't get me wrong I enjoyed the story but at times Nora annoyed me SO MUCH and if you have read the blurb this does not actually come into the story until 67%.

The first 67% is about Nora, her life and guilt for EVERYTHING she has ever done, (seriously girl stop moping and dressing up) why does her volunteering have to be such a secret? What she does is wonderful and she makes everything so complicated.

I liked the way SY wrote the time jumps I wish
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received for an honest review

I would pick up the phone book if Samantha Young wrote it, and even though I am not a big fan of YA (I am an old fart, they often feel wwaaaaaayy too young for me), I completely adored Play On.

I am not going to lie, I did struggle getting into the first 20% of the book. I can't pinpoint exactly what it was, but I did.

Once we got past that, I was completely and utterly hooked. Nora's story is not always an easy one. I liked her from the start, and as the story
Michelle
I really enjoyed this book. It's been on my TBR list for so long I'm glad I finally got around it it. The story was so good I luvd the characters. The story had me hook I really liked the few twisted that were thrown in. I was dying to know what was going to happen to Nora it is a brilliant character. She didn't have an easy life and she deserved to be happy. I would recommend this book.
Amy J Romance Author & Reader Events
LIVEEEEE!!
5 STARS

Oh Samantha Young, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

It's no secret, S. young is one of my favorite authors. Her talent captured me with the emotional captivating story of On Dublin Street and I've been a captive of her talent ever since.

I can't imagine how difficult it must be for an author to write such emotionally complex and charged stories. To tap into oneself to capture the moments and scenes so perfectly on paper but Samantha Young did it with On Dublin Street and again
maggieandteddy
DNF 22%. I started out pulling for Nora. She came from humble beginnings. Hard working. Pitched in at home with disabled dad. Was picked on by the richies. My esteem for her went down hill.
I did like Jim. I liked his friend Roddy- just a funny kooky character. (Plus they're Scottish)
I haven't read a Samantha Young book in a long time. I loved the On Dublin Street series.
So sorry. I need to stop. YMMV.
Three Chicks
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Incredible Stars!
Review by Jen Hagen

Nora is consumed with anger and hatred that her once successful father is now an invalid, and she and her mother are forced to cross paths in the doorway as they come and go to their own respective jobs to support this new lifestyle. They were once an affluent family and now are living on pennies and dimes. This is not a happy life for a vibrant 18-year-old who had hopes and dreams of being an actress.

I mourned my future…But mostly, I mourned my dad. I
Amy
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Finding Yourself Again Stars!

“In here, we were in our weird little bubble; I felt protected by that bubble. If we steeped outside, all the differences between us would only be amplified. In here we were just two people who cared for Sylvie and I could get past my insecurities around him.”

“I feared having my heart broken again. And somehow, instinctually, I just knew that giving Aidan even a little of me and having him reject it it would hurt more than any other man’s rejection.”

“Sometimes the
AJ
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

This is the first book in Samantha Young’s new series, Play On, and it’s a beautifully emotional romantic drama that kept me enthralled from start to finish. Reminiscent of On Dublin Street, Young takes us back to Edinburgh with the story of a young American girl struggling under the weight of grief and uncertainty and figuring out who she is and what she wants. Add in a love story that is sweet, emotional, passionate, full of chemistry (and yes, angsty), some twists and turns and a
Alexis
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely beautiful!! I am such a sucker for romances that bring out all the emotions and damnit, this was such a great example of a angsty, beautifully-written romance.

This book kept me from working, yep, total sneak reading worthy!
Jacqueline
Dnf. I'm not feeling this one. It's hard work trying to figure out what's going in and a pet irritation of mine is when accents are written into dialogue which forces me to read the dialogue more than once to try to figure out what they're saying. Too much effort for this lazy reader.
YA Buddy Readers'...: Play On by Samantha Young - Starting September 22nd 2017 17 22 Sep 29, 2017 05:12AM

• Outmatched
  • Breaking Hollywood (Wardrobe, #2)
  • Dear Bridget, I Want You
  • Ghosted
  • Bad at Love
  • My Life in Shambles
  • Drive
  • Most of All You
  • Midnight Blue
  • The Hookup (Moonlight and Motor Oil #1)
  • Drunk Dial
  • Wild Card (North Ridge, #1)
  • War of Hearts
  • Show Me the Way (Fight for Me, #1)
  • Maverick (North Ridge, #2)
  • Forever Right Now
  • The Best Thing
  • Roomies
I'm a Scottish bookworm whose dream of writing full time came true. Thanks to readers my books have hit the New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestseller lists and several of my books have been nominated for Goodreads Choice Awards. I write adult contemporary and paranormal romance, YA urban fantasy and YA contemporary fiction. I'm currently published in 30 countries and I'm a #1 ...more

Play On (3 books)
  • As Dust Dances (Play On, #2)
  • Black Tangled Heart (Play On, #3)
“You would think after numerous attacks of grief the human body would be unable to process any more sadness. But our hearts have an annoying amount of endurance.” 9 likes
“If you’re to be mine I need all of you to be mine, because all of me is yours.” 8 likes