Start by marking “Big Data: How the Information Revolution is Transforming our Lives” as Want to Read:
Big Data: How the Information Revolution is Transforming our Lives

Big Data: How the Information Revolution is Transforming our Lives

It's hard to avoid 'big data' - but we've lived in an information age for decades. What's changed?

An easy to absorb tour of this transformative technology, finding out how big data enables Netflix to forecast a hit, CERN to find the Higgs boson and medics to discover if red wine really is good for you.

Less positively, we explore how companies are using big data to benefit
Published August 3rd 2017 by Icon Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Big Data, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Data

Start your review of Big Data: How the Information Revolution is Transforming our Lives
Gor_wor
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Too generic and not providing sufficient in-depth information to my expectation. Most examples are commonly known story retold...
ahmad
کلان داده کل زندگی ما رو احاطه کرده. اکثر برندگان جایزه نوبل اخیر خصوصا در زمینه اقتصاد کسانی هستن که روی داده ها و کلان داده ها کار میکنن حتی طبق ادعای کتاب کشف ذره بوزون هیگز در آزمایشگاه سرن هم یک رویداد کلان داده ای بود.
کتاب کلان داده کتابی کوچک برای آشنایی ما با این مفهوم بزرگ است که در حال دگرگون کردن جهان ماست. در این کتاب علاوه بر توضیحاتی که در مورد کلان داده می دهد. ما را با خطرات و همینطور فواید کلان داده اشنا می کند. اطلاعاتی است که از گذشته شما جمع کرده اند. هنگامی که وارد اینستاگر
Jacob Raymond
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Barely scratches the surface. This (short) book hardly goes into detail. I don't think I learned anything as everything seemed either obvious or basic knowledge. There are some interesting and worthwhile reflexions at the end on the pros and cons of data. The author's style of writing is strange: he presents ideas in subchapters spanning 2-4 pages each, and tries to link the subchapters together in a way that I found bizarre.
Leyla  M Yashar
Jun 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
I strongly don’t recommend to read this book to anyone. Even schoolchildren can give more information about the big data than this book.
Tammam Aloudat
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good account of how big data came to be and how it is being used. However, it is a little too simple for my taste. I am all for popular science, and this book is diverse and covers a lot of the uses and some of the abuses of big data but it takes pains to avoid anything technical that I don't think the word computer comes into it at any point. I missed two aspects:

A little information on how big data should be to be useful as big data and how does it get processed and managed. Some inf
Qukatheg
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Starting at the very basic question "What is data?", this little book explains the concept of 'big data' in easy to understand terms. It gives plentiful examples of where and how big data is used in various industries like retail, banking, book publishing, social media, advertising and the sciences. Both the upsides and the downsides are covered.

Though this book focuses mainly on popular American companies, I think similar methods are being used and developed around the world so it is relevant n
Ietrio
Apr 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
Pretty much junk starting from page one

> Take a look at a success story of the big data age: Netflix. Once a DVD rental service, the company has transformed itself as a result of big data […]

The company has transformed as a result of visionary management. And to call that a company transform itself it's pretty much sign of dimness.

Else, the usual rants of old white men rightfully feeling they can't grasp the new concepts. The talk about the village and god save the king and his post office.
Srdan Dukic
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant synthesis of the “Big Data” topic, with good examples of which industries will be affected and how. Doesn’t go too deep into any technical details rather talks about theoretical limits and the role humans have to play still. Very well written. Only critique is that it sometimes reads a little like a brochure, left me wanting to explore more on a particular track. There is a “further reading” section at the back of the book though with references.
Aleximparat
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A fair introduction to the “big data” debate. But it falls short exactly on the topic it discusses: the data. It’s basically a collection of arguments whithout revealing what is argued; like somebody who tries to makes excuses for something he did, but nobody knows what he did or who he is. It’s a light and simplistic read that has good pieces of information scattered here and there, but lacks all the essentials.
Richard Wood
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short book that gives a nice introduction to the topic. I liked the writing style, and the fact that many examples were based around UK scenarios rather than the normal US bias found in other works.

I felt, however, that I had just read a write-up of a research project rather than an insightful view from a subject matter expert.
Sally
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I throughly enjoyed reading this, it was interesting, sometimes funny and was obviously well thought and well researched. Big data is something that is slowly becoming more and more a part of our everyday lives. Clegg has taken the time to map the history of it’s development (which was really interesting in and of itself) to then try and guesstimate where we’ll end up with it. This isn’t a difficult read at all and it’s not very long either so if you have the time, definitely give it a look.
Winters Pedra
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Siney
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Absolute must read for anyone terrified of big data and for anyone who uses it, so therefore just everyone ! Enlightening and thought provoking piece on the good and bad of big data in the small and large areas of our lives!!
Wilde Sky
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
An examination of the potential uses of the huge amount of data available in the modern world.

Pretty superficial / bland, this book provided no real in-depth explanations/ examples and considering it was supposed to be about data there was a distinct lack of facts.
Querijn
Nov 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not as entertaining or informative as I would have hoped. Doesn't go into detail behind how big data is used, merely talks about simple everyday things that incorporate (big) data. Disappointing, because the topic itself allows for lots of in depth discussions
Gaurav Prabhu
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful introduction & coverage on the topic. There are so many case studies and the information is presented in a lucid manner. Presents big data in an unbiased light, the good, the bad & the ugly. This is a good start for someone planning to dive into this technology. ...more
Megan Palser
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
It's kinda interesting, talking about all the uses companies make of big data, but a bit anecdotal. I don't care how often the author uses Facebook, or his opinions about Mr Robot..
Alex
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Informative, but doesnt contain a lot of new ideas. I prefer listening to the vergecast for this type of information, sorry.
Olivia
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
An introduction to a lot of issues, but I wish there had been more detail
Katerina
An excellent overview and introduction to big data. Thanks for writing!
Başo Can
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
easy to read, short, informative and enjoyable
Niall
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Like listening to a drunken rant where the speaker jumps from topic to topic without any correlation. Read 1984 instead.
Tiểu Anh
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
pretty interesting and may be an easy read with someone who initially knows little about AI how it works
Arpine Grigoryan
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A light read- intro to big data. Written in fall 2016, it has some useful cases described and anecdotes. Will be interesting for non-techies.
Banskon
rated it did not like it
Jul 13, 2020
Mar 01, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Art of Communicating
  • The Road to Serfdom
  • The Coronavirus Prevention Handbook: 101 Science-Based Tips That Could Save Your Life
  • Johnny Red: Falcons' First Flight
  • The Hawaiian Shirt: Its Art and History
  • The Trouble with Physics: The Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science and What Comes Next
  • The Donor
  • Coronavirus 2020: What is really happening and how to prevent it
  • The House on the Hill
  • The World According to Physics
  • Something Deeply Hidden: Quantum Worlds and the Emergence of Spacetime
  • Until the End of Time: Mind, Matter, and Our Search for Meaning in an Evolving Universe
  • Complexity: A Guided Tour
  • To the Vanishing Point
  • Among the Dead
  • Andy Warhol
  • The History of Medicine: A Very Short Introduction
  • Bach, Beethoven and the Boys: Music History as It Ought to Be Taught

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Brian's latest books, Ten Billion Tomorrows and How Many Moons does the Earth Have are now available to pre-order. He has written a range of other science titles, including the bestselling Inflight Science, The God Effect, Before the Big Bang, A Brief History of Infinity, Build Your Own Time Machine and Dice World.

Along with appearances at the Royal Institution in London he has spoken at venues fr

News & Interviews