Start by marking “Begin Again (Again, #1)” as Want to Read:
Begin Again (Again, #1)

Begin Again

(Again #1)

He makes the rules. She breaks them all.

A new start. It's the only thing keeping Allie Harper going, when she packs up her life and moves across the country to Woodshill, Oregon. She's about to start college, desperate to leave the ghosts of her past behind her. Even if that means never talking to her parents again.

Now the hard part - finding an apartment before classes st
Published October 10th 2017 by Bastei Entertainment (first published October 14th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Begin Again, please sign up.
Skjoon the book war originally published in Germany first, so that's why, there are so many reviews in german... :)

Nina
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-in-2017
*Thanks again to Bastei Entertainment for sending me an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I’ve been meaning to read ‘Begin Again’ by Mona Kasten for a very long time now. This book was originally published in German and so I’d already heard a lot of positive things from my friends and other German book bloggers. The only reason I actually never picked it up is because I don’t really like reading German books even though I’m German myself. Sounds weird but that’
~Mindy Lynn~
3.5 Stars

I read this book in one sitting. It draws you right in at the beginning when Allie and Kaden meet. Things don't start off so well and their banter was pretty funny. I hardly ever come across a good 'A-Hole I love to hate' kind of book that pulls it off as well as this author did with Kaden. This dude was a piece of work and I didn't love him by the end. I did really like him though.

But lets get to what I really did enjoy about this book. The friendships. Dawn was your ride or die kind
Sarah Dorothea
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5 stars! ⭐ I think I might have found a new favourite author to add to my ‚favourite authors‘ list. MONA KASTEN is unbelievable... I loved this book so much to the point that I had goosebumps, cried, laughed out loud and just felt very very happy all at the same time!

What the romantic novel is about: Er stellt die Regeln auf -sie bricht jede einzelne davon. Noch einmal ganz von vorne beginnen - das ist Allie Harpers sehnlichster Wunsch, als sie für ihr Studium nach Woodshill zieht. D
Jean
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I devoured it! Those of you who like the broody, jerkface alpha male, this book is for you.

Allie has escaped her family life to begin again at college. She just needs a place to live. Turns out, dorms are already full, and she needs an apartment. Not as easy as she thought. And then she has the pleasure of applying as a roommate with Kaden. TALK ABOUT JERK!!!! OMG, he was straight out nasty and rude, but I loved that first initial meeting and his "don't care" attitude.

There's more to
Bev
I received this arc via Netgalley for an honest review, and I'm all about the honesty!

I struggled with this one a tad. The book was written in German and translated to English and I think the dimension of the characters kinda got lost in the translation. I found them to be rather flat and one dimensional. Even Kaden, who was supposed to be a total jerk couldn't pull it off.

The story was full of NA clichés and drama, which is what I expect in a NA book and was happy to read that. Again, this wasn
Luzie
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, such a powerful NA-book! I loved the story, it seemed really authentic and sweet. The issues that were battled in this book seemed more real and genuine, and i loved the ending. Also i did not get annoyed by the main character, Allie! She was a brave and selfconfident young women who did not turn into a clichee because of the love intrest. That's what i liked most about the story. Kaden was really cute and super-hot, and the way things progressed between him and Allie made me fall in love w ...more
Kristy K
1.5 Stars

Unfortunately I had a lot of issues with this book. While the premise sounded interesting, the execution was poor. Underdeveloped characters that had too many inconsistencies in their personalities grated on me and the fact that the author has never visited the US shone through. Some of these issues may have been because of an inadequate translation (originally in German), but I feel that even with a better one this book still would have fell flat.
Tessa
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley for my honest review.

5 stars!! I wish it hadn't ended it was so good!

This book is why I love reading. The angst, the worry, the swooning moments. It had everything.

To start, Kaden is a jerk, an absolute jerk. Giving Allie rules for being a roommate, being utterly rude, getting in her face. Everything I love in a hate to love Hero. Allie is feisty and strong, not taking his crap; all of which makes for a lot of fun moments.

The book develops natu
Carla Castilla
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
English
Few books reach me as much as this one did. And to think that I hesitated when reading it because of its bad reviews... Never, never get carried away by that, because thanks to not pay attention I discovered this marvel of a book that completely caught me.

Well, okay, it's no wonder. It is an ordinary book, but what do you want me to tell you? I fall in love. I got to the heart and the books that I live this intense end up charming me and they earn a little hole in me. This, without a do
Rê
description

2 “Listen to your friend” Stars

ARC via NetGalley.

Thank you!

I can see Begin Again being big during the NA golden years a while back. It had the key elements: young people going to college and making dubious choices, lots of drama, bad boy hero and a nice girl heroine. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work for me now.

I’m not saying I’m over New Adult. I’m not. I read two NA books this week alone that I absolutely loved, but they didn’t feel as stilted as Begin Again.

I understand this book was initially w
Paula White
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy from NetGalley for an honest review.

This is the type of book I love. The hero starts of as a right asshole, then we see the softer side, for him to go back to his asshole ways, then we get to find out why he is being like he is and then finally we see him as he really is..sigh.

The main characters relationship was realistic, no insta love but a great growing friendship. The secondary characters were really great and I can't wait to read more about them in the upcoming books. I w
Carlene Inspired
3.5 Stars

Begin Again is a story that New Adult readers will connect with, finding strength in Allie's desperation to strike out on her own and succeed without the help of her parents. She's left behind pain, she's left behind fear, and she's left behind the girl she used to be. This version of Allie has short hair, eats what she wants, makes friends with who she wants, and...lives with a boy. Not just any boy, either, but the boy on the top of nearly every girl's "I Want" list. Kaden is tattooed
Carol
3.5 stars.
I did enjoy this.
Fast read for me, I was drawn into the story fairly quickly and ended up really liking this somewhat angsty college drama that had endearing friendships combined with witty banter plus one A-hole male "jerk".
I was a little surprised to find out that it was translated from German as it was so clearly set in the U.S.
The initial meet between Allie and Kaden was plenty entertaining, they clearly got off to a rough start as roomies but this enemies to lover's story was
Grey
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
I received an ecopy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Hallelujah, there's a soundtrack!!! You know how excited I get when authors include their musical inspiration, it just heightens the whole experience for me.

Begin Again was originally written in German and translated into English, so I am not sure if that is why there is some little hiccups with grammar/punctuation and overall flow. And there were a couple of little plot points/holes that were never fully expla
*The Angry Reader*
Oct 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
***ARC received for an honest review***

The cliched outline of a "romance" involving - a controlling jerk, frantic pacing, more drama than a middle school dance, mommy issues and a doormat heroine.

First words exchanged between the hero and heroine "'What the hell are you doing here?'"

Kaden is upset that the person interested in renting his spare room is female. Because he lives in a magic land without rental applications or background checks. Or, apparently, manners. After deciding Allie can mov
Paula  Phillips
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it

Before starting this book, I had been in a bit of a book slump the day before. I had tried three books and could not get into any of them. I remembered the following day that a friend had just read this book and she was enjoying it. I figured I would give it a go. I am glad that I did as I enjoyed it. Begin Again had a few of my favorite things from the creation of new identities to edgy issues and angst to roomies/ enemies to lovers storyline. Allie has just moved to a new college and town, she
Tianna✸loves books✸
Doormat heroine + Jerk hero
Apparently both are roommates. He is douche with her at the first meeting. And she is easily forgiving his douchness. Because she is a stupid girl. And their shared bathroom have no locks. So I was obviously bored knowing what to expect from this horrible combinations.
Liz
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley for my honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me of the early indie releases several years ago where the characters propelled the storyline. I loved the slow-burn relationship between Kaden and Allie. Allie was a feisty heroine (thank goodness because I'm sick of the virginal heroines) and Kaden was a complete jerk face with more to him than meets the eye. I can't wait to read more of the author's other works.
Antonia
“Not broken, just bent.”

Well, well, well.
I tried this as an audiobook for my train rides, despite New Adult being like my least favorite genre ever. I find the books to be the same pathetic story. Still I've heard great things about Begin Again and it's always nice to 'read' something that's been originally written in your mother tongue. Unfortunately I've been quite disappointed and felt like this was the classical New Adult romance book. I did enjoy the writing style very much but the charac
Adriana
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW is what comes to mind when I think of this book. I had the honour of reading it through netgalley this book recently got translated into English and I'm so glad it did. This book was seriously unexpected that is for sure It was an amazing read that I spent until 3am finishing it off because I could not put it down.

First book I read of this author as all her books are in German I'm hoping that it is not the last one that will be translated into English as I want to read the rest of the series
Kady

4 Cute Stars!
Allie Harper is starting college in Oregon and she really needs a clean break from her family and a fresh start. She wants to reinvent herself and “find” herself. Somehow she ends up roommates with the campus hottie and bad boy, Kaden. It may sound like the basic New Adult plot line, right? Well, at first it seemed to follow your basic formula. Now, this isn’t necessarily a negative because it’s the reason we read this genre, right? However, I am finding that I need a little more
☽☆Jean☠BookRampage☆☾
This book was so cute, holy moly.
Seriously, so cute.
The PERFECT book to snuggle up with in the sofa and lose your life the entire day in it. Simple as that.

description
Eyleen
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Same old, same old.

If I hadn't read pretty much the exact same story with the same characters dozen of times I would have rated this higher.
mondena
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favs
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Rebecca
3.5 STARS

I am a sucker for the roommate trope and couldn't resist this one. It was somewhat predictable but entertaining nonetheless. Kaden is the typical badboy with a good heart, and while I disliked him initially, he did grow on me. It was a cute, light-hearted read but nothing overly rememberable or unique. If the subsequent books are translated into English, I would likely give them a read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bastei Entertainment for my advanced review copy.
Lea ★
ARC kindly provided VIA Netgalley.

Begin Again is my first read by Mona Kasten.
Book is originally published in German, but I read it in English since the version available on Netgalley was translated one.
Plot is set in USA even though the author is German.
It was an okay read, but a bit too predictable for my taste.
Jessica's Book Review
Begin Again is the first book in the series Again by German author Mona Kasten. Although it is a series, it can also be stand alone since each book is about different couples. Begin Again is on Allie and Kaden. Two people who really are not that opposite at all meet, have a long build up, and blast fireworks explode.

The first half of the book i truly enjoyed. i first thought Kayden was going to be this bad boy, ladies man with the tattoos, and while yes he has the tats and is a ladies man the bo
Lulufrances
This was exactly what I had expected it to be.
My bookseller-friend (everyone should have one of those, by the way, just chat someone up in your local bookshop, that's what I did) recommended it to me the day before my exams and said it's the perfect no-brainer, predictable read that you just need at times.
Of course I needed it the day before the exams.
EVERYTHING is alluring the day before the exams.
(I'd recommend doing all the dishes etc. in that spur of activity that is not neccessarily direct
Mari's Struggle is Real
Nov 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I didn’t enjoy this book. I liked their friends Dawn, Spencer, Ethan and Monica more than I liked Allie and Kaden. Kaden runs hot and then freezing cold. He puts up rules that then he himself breaks. Going into her room while she sleeps is not romantic, it’s creepy. He also takes her hiking, and nicknames her Bubbles. He doesn’t want to know her personal drama but he still asks about it and forces her to open up about her problems.

I also didn’t like Allie’s defeatist attitude. Allie has an over
Vanessa (nessreads)
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
*Thank you to Bastei Entertainment for sending me an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

4.5 "Not broken, just bent" Stars!

'Begin Again' is a story about finding your voice. Learning how to trust in people even though it means being vulnerable. It's about having strength. And most importantly it's about believing in yourself.

Allie needs change. A change in scenery. A change in how she lives her life. Change. She's tired of being under the scrutiny of her mother. She's
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Ploblem with the title 2 16 Jul 15, 2019 09:25AM
Mons Kasten: un esordio promettente 1 3 Mar 31, 2018 11:00AM

• Cherry Red Summer (Kirschroter Sommer #1)
  • Berühre mich. Nicht. (Berühre mich. Nicht., #1)
  • Der letzte erste Blick (Firsts #1)
  • Landslide (The South Beach Connection Trilogy, #1)
  • Liebe ist was für Idioten. Wie mich. (Viki und Jay, #1)
  • Virion
  • Mein Sommer auf dem Mond
  • Ein Leben aus Glas (Royal, #1)
  • The Way to School
  • Der Schatten
  • We're going to be friends
  • In dieser ganz besonderen Nacht
  • Verliebe dich nie in einen Rockstar (Die Rockstar-Reihe #1)
  • The Talented Mr. Maxwell
  • The Resilient Runner: Mental Toughness Training for Endurance Runners
  • Das Leben fällt, wohin es will
  • Show Me (Me, #2)
  • Destination Unknown (Roadside Assistance #2)
Mona Kasten wurde 1992 geboren und studierte Bibliotheks- und Informationsmanagement, bevor sie sich ganz dem Schreiben widmete. Sie lebt gemeinsam mit ihrem Mann und ihren Katzen sowie unendlich vielen Büchern in Hamburg, liebt Koffein in jeglicher Form, lange Waldspaziergänge und Tage, an denen sie nur schreiben kann.

Again (5 books)
  • Trust Again (Again, #2)
  • Feel Again (Again, #3)
  • Hope Again (Again, #4)
  • Dream Again (Again, #5)